Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Gonna give them a call again this evening.
    Speed in the evenings has gone right down, and at times appears to get so saturated that it becomes unusable ( i thought it was DNS issues) - but i also notice when that happens inevitably the modem will reboot itself..... red light, then starts to come back up. It happened last night at approx 11.15pm, heard the CLICK from the modem and saw the red light. After 10 mins of it trying to come up by itself i had to power cycle it myself and it finally came up about 4/5 mins later.

Not good enough to be honest - not sure if i have a dodgy router, but i do think they've oversold on the mast i'm connected to.

Hi Velo which mast are you using? I'm getting the hard sell from them and would be using the mast in Athy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Anybody else here connected to Cairn Hill in Longford. I got installed back in end October last year, 50mbs down on the day we got installed but never again since.

Gotten steadily worse since then and its pretty unusable now most evenings from 6 to 11pm, less than 3mb down and less than 1mb up.

Late at night and during the day we might see 20mb down and 1-2mb up but thats as good as it gets.

Have the Huawei modem and it shows 2 bars of signal strength.

Couple of speedtest screenshots from this evening attached to illustrate.

Their Tech support is poor, hard to get through on the phone and usual scripted nonsense answers when you do get through. Twice I've been promised an engineer visit and never heard anything else.

If anyone else connected to Cairn Hill has any feedback i'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

XDA in future its good to use the "Share result" option rather than screening, much easier for everyone else reading and yourself.

eg:
    5068224745.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Daz_ wrote: »
    Mr Velo wrote: »
    Gonna give them a call again this evening.
    Speed in the evenings has gone right down, and at times appears to get so saturated that it becomes unusable ( i thought it was DNS issues) - but i also notice when that happens inevitably the modem will reboot itself..... red light, then starts to come back up. It happened last night at approx 11.15pm, heard the CLICK from the modem and saw the red light. After 10 mins of it trying to come up by itself i had to power cycle it myself and it finally came up about 4/5 mins later.

Not good enough to be honest - not sure if i have a dodgy router, but i do think they've oversold on the mast i'm connected to.

Hi Velo which mast are you using? I'm getting the hard sell from them and would be using the mast in Athy
    On the Tonabrokey mast in Galway. Had my radio and router changed out on Wednesday. Still saw speeds drop quite a bit last night..... sub 10MB at times - but at least i haven't seen it drop out and go into a reboot loop yet.

• Ive used just over 15gb of data in the last 24 hours. Its only 10.30pm. Im now getting an Imagine warning webpage appear telling me I e used 15gb representing 75% of my allowance. Fine, except I cant do anything online. It keeps putting that page up no matter what I do. What a joke. Having to use mobile to post this.

I have never seen this. Bit invasive to have pop up continuously appear.
    I have capped mine umpteen times and all i get is an email at most.
    Can you post a picture of this prompt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Had my first blip last night between 9 and 10pm
    First time s stream wouldn't load and play properly
    Hopefully it was just a one off due to the gusty winds and not the beginning of the end
    I can't go back now I've tasted the future !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

cabledude wrote: »
    But it is. We have trouble loading social media pages on our devices at times. We cannot stream movies or TV shows on our TV as the quality is so poor. We don't live in the 1970's for the love of god.

As I said earlier, I have been with VF 3g for a while now. I originally got a 4G device and it was brilliant. Then around 6 weeks ago it started giving hassle. Replaced the device, SIM card and VF reset the settings on their end. I was getting 20-25 Mbps no hassle. Now I'm lucky to get 10. 6 is typical.

If you have difficulty loading web pages or streaming at 6-10Mbits there is something else going on. That speed is tens of times higher than whats needed for instant web page loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

XDA, im on same exchange and having the same issue. I am wondering what best to do as nothing from the tech team. I am thinking that it is just number of people on it. My father in law is in Roosky and believes to be on Cairn hill too but his speed is so much better than what i am getting and im just in kiloe, beside it. The only difference is he has a different smaller black router to my white one. I just dont know what the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I have never seen this. Bit invasive to have pop up continuously appear.
    I have capped mine umpteen times and all i get is an email at most.
    Can you post a picture of this prompt?

I was on to Imagine tech support who said they dont do any redirects and there was an implication that I might be confused with the emails I got from them. However I had taken a screen shot which I will put below.

I have edited out a couple of little details which have my email etc.

imagine%20data%20warning%20screenshot%20cropped%20for%20boards.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

That big red "I understand" icon is a button, whenever I clicked on it a new tab would open up with the exact same scree, no amount of further clicking or it or anywhere on the page made any difference. Oddly I could go onto google search and search and receive search results, but the second I tried to click on any link I kept being redirected to this page. Facebook and everything was not working either. Im a fairly competent PC user, it wasnt user error.

Added this zoomed in image of the web address, you probably cant see it in the first image.

imagine%20web%20address%20for%20redirect.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm going to give tech support one more go and if it doesn't get sorted out this time i'm going to call it a day with Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Looks like typical Imagine issues starting to kick in. I'll be an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

XDA, let me know how you get on. The issue is - what is the alternative. Where i am, i am struggling to get 2mb/0.3mb with eircom.

• That big red "I understand" icon is a button, whenever I clicked on it a new tab would open up with the exact same scree, no amount of further clicking or it or anywhere on the page made any difference. Oddly I could go onto google search and search and receive search results, but the second I tried to click on any link I kept being redirected to this page. Facebook and everything was not working either. Im a fairly competent PC user, it wasnt user error.

Added this zoomed in image of the web address, you probably cant see it in the first image.

imagine%20web%20address%20for%20redirect.jpg

****ing ridiculous if that's the case
    It should only throttle once it gets to 20gb anyway
    They are not supposed to cut you off. Funny thing is you had only used 15gb
    I'd send them the screenshot via email and ask them for an explanation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ****ing ridiculous if that's the case
    It should only throttle once it gets to 20gb anyway
    They are not supposed to cut you off. Funny thing is you had only used 15gb
    I'd send them the screenshot via email and ask them for an explanation

that is some bs alright, and these are the guys who don't want FTTH as part of the NBP, saying wireless is the way of the future, Christ on a bike!.

kevin16w wrote: »
    XDA, let me know how you get on. The issue is - what is the alternative. Where i am, i am struggling to get 2mb/0.3mb with eircom.
    Will do, i managed to make contact via their Facebook page today and they've promised to get their "premium team" to contact me, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm lucky enough to just be within 4G coverage for 3 and Meteor, so with the right 4G router and an external 4G antenna i'll be able to to keep a reasonable connection speed and probably save money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Might have to cancel with them also, been having a number of issues with the speed the past few days.

No where near the speeds advertised initially now its down to around 5-15MB during peak hours. Whats worse though is the ping is all over the place and when gaming it is a pain in the ass.I had much more stable ping when i was on 4MB eir line.

They have basically said its a problem with my tower and it will be fixed by the end of February, i will be looking for compensation for degraded service this month or ill be looking at other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

http://www.newstalk.com/New-York-sues-over-slow-internet-speeds

Ye could always sue :D

I'm not at home at the moment but I'll do a speed test when I get back to compare
    I'm on slieve Boy in Wexford

The lowest I've seen here a few weeks ago was around 20 briefly but I've not seen it like that since
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Might have to cancel with them also, been having a number of issues with the speed the past few days.

They have basically said its a problem with my tower and it will be fixed by the end of February, i will be looking for compensation for degraded service this month or ill be looking at other options.
    Certainly at least push for a free month on the basis that they will fix it and if they don't,then decide

I'm not goin to be so hasty but I will be pushing for compensation or an exact date. The line speed on one level is faster than eir but with the cap it's not worth it.

I'd rather a degraded 10 mb service with no cap or the cap with that they have sold.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I'm not goin to be so hasty but I will be pushing for compensation or an exact date. The line speed on one level is faster than eir but with the cap it's not worth it.

I'd rather a degraded 10 mb service with no cap or the cap with that they have sold.

Yeah here's my speed just now done over wifi on the phone,it's actually hot!
    The frustration you're feeling though I wouldn't be able for and would be hounding them
    But do it nicely
    The person on the other end of the phone in any organisation won't go the extra mile if someone gets snotty
    That's my advice
    Hopefully if it's a mast issue they'll fix it soon because there was a poster the other day who got email updates on theirs being fixed

Here's mine anyway from slieve boy

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1961797511

• Advertisement

Na it don't work like that you don't get to pay for a service and look from favors for some guy. Most of their tech and customer care is mickey mouse anyway as someone who works in the area it's very unprofessional.

I'll treat them with a general respect but when you can't give a definitive date on fixing a service and miss call backs you were supposed to do its unacceptable.

I can see why the goverment didn't give them the contract.

Just an update - they left a voicemail for me yesterday evening saying that there is "significant work" being done on the cairn hill mast in the next couple of weeks and that this should solve the problems, so at least tacit admission that there is an issue, its not just me and they are working to resolve it.

So i guess i'll give them another couple of weeks and we'll see what happens.

I would look for a free month or discount if I were in your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Looks like typical Imagine issues starting to kick in. I'll be an eye on this.

Why, you haven't used Imagine in 5 years. You really take butt hurt to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Does anyone know what masts are upgraded to support Imagine's LTE? I've emailed them but I get a stock reply, be great to know what actual masts are available now and what potential upgrades are planned. I'm stuck on Three's incredibly sporadic unreliable 4g at the mo :(

The Imagine site has network coverage but it's a non-interactive PNG of the map

https://www.imagine.ie/hootboard/

That's as near to a list of sites on their web page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does anyone know what masts are upgraded to support Imagine's LTE? I've emailed them but I get a stock reply, be great to know what actual masts are available now and what potential upgrades are planned. I'm stuck on Three's incredibly sporadic unreliable 4g at the mo :(

The Imagine site has network coverage but it's a non-interactive PNG of the map

Have a look at their Facebook Page. You'd imagine(pun intended) nothing ever went wrong for them:).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

Hi lads,
    I live a couple of KM east of Wallslough, Kilkenny.

I am seriously thinking about getting Imagine, so far I made it with 3 AYCE sim into B593S and omni antenna, but the speed drops (no joke) from 50 mbit (7am to 4pm) to 5 mbit (7pm to 23pm).

It is making me CRAZY....

Any of ye with Imagine around here? What speeds are you getting at peak time? Where would the mast be located?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

theluke79 wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I live a couple of KM east of Wallslough, Kilkenny.

I am seriously thinking about getting Imagine, so far I made it with 3 AYCE sim into B593S and omni antenna, but the speed drops (no joke) from 50 mbit (7am to 4pm) to 5 mbit (7pm to 23pm).

It is making me CRAZY....

Any of ye with Imagine around here? What speeds are you getting at peak time? Where would the mast be located?

Thanks!
    Sounds familiar that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I got this installed recently.
    If I'm using TP Links / Home Plugs, I get ~20MBps download. If I use Wifi I get ~10KBps.
    I'm getting dial up speeds on wifi.
    What the hell is that about?

It's a small property, I've turned off most wifi devices in case it was an issue with too many devices connected.
    But no matter what, even if I'm 4ft from the router, the wifi speed is in KBps.
    Any advice? I know wifi is spotty at best, but I can't exactly connect every device with ethernet or TP Links / Home Plugs

The mast I'm connected to is Balinora in Cork

:(

Advertisement