Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sounds like Imagine are shipping routers with dodgy wifi.
    My advise would be to buy a decent router, bridge it theirs and use the imagine one only as a receiver. You'll need to ask Imagine to turn their wifi off (insanity that you can't do that yourself by the way...).

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Hi has anyone in or near Carlow Town have Imagine? What is the phone service like. Is it expensive for mobile calls? Can you use download torrents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,565 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So this is now available in Tipperary

I rang them up today, just curious and was informed I should beable to get it but I didnt follow up.

Im currently on a rock solid 20mb DSL link and I live right beside the exchange.
    My pings are great and Im happy enough with the speeds.

My area is destined for FFTH in 2017

"Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is 2017. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is 2017/18"

My two issues with Imagine.

The Cap which is ridiculous. I just downloaded a 58gb add on for fallout 4
    On signal testing, if I get over 35mb I have to install it.

I rather for the 2nd one that I get some time to think about it, Id be even willing to pay the call out charges tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I reckon that's a no brainer..... stay where you are.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Headshot wrote: »
    Im currently on a rock solid 20mb DSL link and I live right beside the exchange.

"Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is 2017. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is 2017/18"

Even if your exchange goes eVDSL/FTTC only and you're within 500m of it you should get up to 90 Mb/s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Hi Headshot
    how do you get info on when projected dates for FFTH may come an area....the way things are going for the roll-out contracts, it probably be years (plus Inquiries etc!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

TopTec wrote: »
    I reckon that's a no brainer..... stay where you are.

TT

Absolutely ... +1 on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Headshot wrote: »
    So this is now available in Tipperary

I rang them up today, just curious and was informed I should beable to get it but I didnt follow up.

My two issues with Imagine.

The Cap which is ridiculous. I just downloaded a 58gb add on for fallout 4
    On signal testing, if I get over 35mb I have to install it.

I rather for the 2nd one that I get some time to think about it, Id be even willing to pay the call out charges tbh

If you can get reasonable DSL then you are 100% correct to stay with it. The cap is a pain in the a*se but it is there for a reason, the speeds would fall through the floor if they removed it due to contention. LTE bandwidth is finite and I think its a good thing that they maintain the cap having come from a WISP where the speeds die to 0.5Mbps in the evenings due to contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 essexgirl

We are in the North Kerry area near listowel just wondering what the coverage was like please, and how is the service from imagine thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,565 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

35x wrote: »
    Hi Headshot
    how do you get info on when projected dates for FFTH may come an area....the way things are going for the roll-out contracts, it probably be years (plus Inquiries etc!!!)

That's what the fibre rollout website says.

Of course it could change anytime but with a bit of luck I may see it 2017/18

I dont mind the wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

XDA wrote: »
    Will do, i managed to make contact via their Facebook page today and they've promised to get their "premium team" to contact me, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm lucky enough to just be within 4G coverage for 3 and Meteor, so with the right 4G router and an external 4G antenna i'll be able to to keep a reasonable connection speed and probably save money too.

hi what would be a good modem to get, i have 4g on the fone which i am using as a router, i can see the mast from the front door, or should i ask 3 to provide me with one, thanks op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

sky is gone at the end of the month, i can stream most movies using the fone as a router, i have a nexus player for kodi and a roku2 for whenever i want to go looking at whats advailable, plus my pc and herself has a tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

flutered wrote: »
    hi what would be a good modem to get, i have 4g on the fone which i am using as a router, i can see the mast from the front door, or should i ask 3 to provide me with one, thanks op

The Huawei B593 seems to be popular, and the TP-Link MR-6400 seems good as well. Both take a SIM card and you can connect external antenna if need be to improve the 4G signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Imagine just phoned us up just an hour ago or so offering us to move to them, we've been stuck on a 1.5mbps DSL connection since 2010 with Eir promising us efibre since about 2014 so seriously considering this now. We've got a Vodafone contract until April though but if it's nothing has changed and Eir still claim the cabinet is "nearly done" then might as well just take Imagine up on their offer. Plus we're at least 900m from the cabinet (probably more because that's as the crow flies) so we may be told by Eir then "sorry but too far."

We use about 12GB a day on average though so that's really is my only concern, and obviously being told that they, in fact, can't offer it to us. Anything is better than 1.5mbps down and 0.19mbps up though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

1.5Mbps when you are only 1km from the exchange? Something wrong there.
    I am 4km from my previously non-fibre enabled exchange and I was getting 3.5 - 4 Mpbs.

On another note, Imagine will let you book the time you want to switch, once you pay the 100€ deposit.
    I paid the deposit back in October for an install in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

No the exchange is more than that, it's another village entirely. We've been waiting for a cabinet in our village though which we're about 1km out from. The problem is you hear stupid stories about people living close to cabinets but being fed direct to the exchange so missing out on the increased speeds so I'm not sure we want to wait around only to have Eir **** us over.

Tldr the actual exchange is in a different village and it already has efibre, we're another village in the same exchange that has been put on the long finger for no obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mayoforsam123

look up imagine lte speedwave on speedtest.net and put your speedtest results there we'll compare our results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

look up imagine lte speedwave on speedtest.net and put your speedtest results there we'll compare our results

Que???

:confused:

TT

Does anybody else have a dodgy router

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Well I've had no service today in clare since around midday. Rang tech service but they could do nothing for me apart from stuff I'd already tried i.e turning modem on and off. I don't think the aerial on my roof has budged so I'm thinking the problem may lie with the router. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Got installed Friday, had 99mb speeds (dropped to 80mb for an hour yesterday) but back up to the high 90's today. i know when they add more installs to the mast that will slow down but to go from Eircom 2mb to this is awesome. Well impressed that this actually works.

Well I've had no service today in clare since around midday. Rang tech service but they could do nothing for me apart from stuff I'd already tried i.e turning modem on and off. I don't think the aerial on my roof has budged so I'm thinking the problem may lie with the router. .
    do you have a white router with no branding on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep that's the one. Has it a history of issues? Can you recommend an alternative? Tech support rang this morning so they are sending an engineer this week. No idea which day though.

Yep that's the one. Has it a history of issues? Can you recommend an alternative? Tech support rang this morning so they are sending an engineer this week. No idea which day though.
    I don't know but if it goes bad I just turn it off for 30 seconds and it works again.It is quite annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Hi would anyone know if Imagine LTE would be compatible with Vodafone Sure Signal? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone experiencing difficulties on the Cairn hill transmitter in Longford? Just noticing it dropping out for short periods since yesterday,goes off for say minute or maybe less and then back again as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

Nocrac wrote: »
    Hi would anyone know if Imagine LTE would be compatible with Vodafone Sure Signal? Thanks.

On the VF website it says:
    "If you have your broadband with Vodafone, the Sure Signal booster is just €49. If you are a Vodafone mobile customer and your broadband is with another provider a Sure Signal costs €99."

So it should work with Imagine. Can you let me know if you get it?
    I wanted to use the same but still waiting for my Imagine install - only since mid October...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeco

Hi, Regarding dodgy routers, have had a 3 of them.
    First one was GreenPacket, good behaviour/performance but one day just refused to power on.
    Saga ensued, eventually was replaced with a white Huaweii one. Never really stable, continually lost data link and even reboots did not work. Eventually stopped connecting completely. Another saga but eventually replaced with GreenPacket (original type). This seemed fine but in recent month has started behaving similar to white one, will not connect for a day or 2 or will lose connection while powered up (most recently no internet from last Friday to 7:00 Sunday) . Have been told its a known firmware issues and am in queue for update.

Overall my experience indicates service is not stable at least in my installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Imagine are apparently doing work on the Cairn Hill site at the moment, to try and fix the poor peak time peformance. Presumably that means that they are installing additional Backhaul capacity and i'd imagine that as work like that goes on there could well be at least brief interruptions to the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

So after three evenings of calling Imagine, my speeds are no better.
    Still average 3Mb - 8Mb Down, 1Mb - 3Mb Up, 35 - 90 pings at peak hours.

I received the following email from customer support the other day:
    There are optimizations being undertaken on the site you are connected to over the next few weeks. These optimizations should alleviate all speed issues experienced by any of our customers connected to your site. You should see your speeds improving gradually over the next few weeks.
    My site in Cappagh, North Kildare.

I'm not going to hold my breath. I hope my lack of faith in them is unfounded and things do improve over the next few weeks.
    If not, I'm going to continue to bombard the customer support and facebook page with proof of my so called "Fibre Speeds".

On a slightly different note, they are constantly uploading speedtest results with excellent figures onto their Facebook page.
    The timestamps on them is ALWAYS between 9am and 4pm when most people are not using the service.
    It's a very misleading and sneaky advertising tactic in my opinion.

Advertisement