Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

John_2187 wrote: »
    Can anyone please PM me with instructions how to log into the router? What IP do I have to go to on Google to access it??

It probably depends on which router you have.

This will help: http://setuprouter.com/networking/how-to-find-your-routers-internal-ip-address/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

John_2187 wrote: »
    Can anyone please PM me with instructions how to log into the router? What IP do I have to go to on Google to access it??
    If you go to command prompt.... type ipconfig and hit enter
    It should give you your IP Address details. What you're looking for is Default Gateway..... that's the address you need to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeco

Hi,
    can anyone let me know the password for the Gemtek box?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

Yes I need the password too, it's bringing me to 192.168.22.1 but I need a username and password. My router is a small black box but has no model name on it from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

I'd appreciate a pm too. Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Having some interesting results from Imagine, started off with decent enough service and near 70MB down. Now the service is around 10-20 at all times, have been back and forth with them.

They have admitted their sales rep was wrong when advising they gaurentee 35MB, tried to say to me that the engineer insisting on it was only for that particular day.

Quite laughable, i luckily have eir still connected, so i can still work and play ok. I am half considering cancelling though unless they can solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Calhoun wrote: »
    Having some interesting results from Imagine, started off with decent enough service and near 70MB down. Now the service is around 10-20 at all times, have been back and forth with them.

They have admitted their sales rep was wrong when advising they gaurentee 35MB, tried to say to me that the engineer insisting on it was only for that particular day.

Quite laughable, i luckily have eir still connected, so i can still work and play ok. I am half considering cancelling though unless they can solve it.

Probably nothing to solve. Just contention, bro.

Indeed but thats not my problem and not what i signed up for. They were advertising as "fiber" wouldnt install unless you got 35MB and now its down constantly even off peak times.

If i do nothing they take the piss more.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed but thats not my problem and not what i signed up for. They were advertising as "fiber" wouldnt install unless you got 35MB and now its down constantly even off peak times.

If i do nothing they take the piss more.

Agreed. Advertising fixed-wireless as fibre is like advertising apples as milk. It's silly. They shouldn't be allowed call something that's not fibre, well, fibre. Fibre is strands of glass with 1310nm (e.g.) lasers going down it. Fixed wireless is microwaves through the air.

Eir(com) started this crap by calling VDSL "fibre". Now everyone feels they have to follow suit...

I could live with what we have if it wasnt for the ridiculous cap on the line. I would actually be better paying for 2 eir lines at 4MB each than image and eir as im doing right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Agreed. Advertising fixed-wireless as fibre is like advertising apples as milk. It's silly. They shouldn't be allowed call something that's not fibre, well, fibre. Fibre is strands of glass with 1310nm (e.g.) lasers going down it. Fixed wireless is microwaves through the air.

Eir(com) started this crap by calling VDSL "fibre". Now everyone feels they have to follow suit...

They are advertising fibre speeds not fibre broadband. The devil is in the detail. :D

They are advertising fibre speeds not fibre broadband. The devil is in the detail. :D

True but when they cannot achieve those speeds then they have an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Trying to access the router settings by using my default gateway but its not showing up, any suggestions?

Yes the devil *is* in the detail. They clearly advertise that they are "connecting rural Ireland to fibre", when they do not connect a single home to fibre. Fibre is not a product they provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Yes the devil *is* in the detail. They clearly advertise that they are "connecting rural Ireland to fibre", when they do not connect a single home to fibre. Fibre is not a product they provide.

Again though when they tell you they do make it very clear it's through masts. They technically speaking are "connecting" people to fibre as much as Eir's efibre does really except one does the last bit through air instead of copper...

It's really something that shouldn't be allowed but Eir have in all fairness got away with the same jokes for years now when they'll happily sign people up on "efibre" only to give them sub 10mbps.

Fibre is in the base station/mast so they are connecting rural Ireland to fibre.

Again the devil is in the detail.

Simply put, using the latest wireless technology in the world, LTE, we connect your home or business to the nearest fibre point. Imagine bring Fibre to a base station on a mast in a rural area. Using LTE, we then connect your home to the mast and the fibre, delivering high speed broadband directly to your home.

roddy15 wrote: »

It's really something that shouldn't be allowed

Why shouldn't it be allowed, if people don't have the mental capacity to read a website or terms and conditions before they purchase a product, then their purchase rights should be removed.

Fibre is in the base station/mast so they are connecting rural Ireland to fibre.

Again the devil is in the detail.

Simply put, using the latest wireless technology in the world, LTE, we connect your home or business to the nearest fibre point. Imagine bring Fibre to a base station on a mast in a rural area. Using LTE, we then connect your home to the mast and the fibre, delivering high speed broadband directly to your home.

Fibre at Towercom, Ballyhoura, just to give one example? Nope. It's microwave backhaul. It's false advertising, plain and simple. Did you look at my attachment, the van?

Fibre at Towercom, Ballyhoura, just to give one example? Nope. It's microwave backhaul. It's false advertising, plain and simple. Did you look at my attachment, the van?

I did look at you attachment and it says "connecting rural Ireland to fibre". So there is fibre in the base station and they connect you to that, where is the false advertising? As for Ballyhoura, send me a link to microwave backhaul and I will have a look. Like there is a big clue in the name, Imagine LTE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fibre is a word that's bounced around like crazy, to the average family/customers the word fibre just means 'fast' internet, they wouldn't know the difference between Wireless LTE, FTTC and FTTH and Imagine use this word to their advantage. Internet companies will always paint their products in the best light possible. Imagine LTE and Eir's FTTC is not fibre. Eir's 'unlimited' fibre broadband is very much limited to a 1tb cap per month - really they should be made get rid of the term 'unlimited', same as all internet companies should not be allowed use the word 'fibre' unless the fibre is going into the home.

• Advertisement

I did look at you attachment and it says "connecting rural Ireland to fibre". So there is fibre in the base station and they connect you to that, where is the false advertising? As for Ballyhoura, send me a link to microwave backhaul and I will have a look. Like there is a big clue in the name, Imagine LTE

http://aviatnetworks.com/products/microwave-switches/eclipse-carrier-ethernet-microwave-platform/

It's the old Stratex Eclipse under a new name.

Anyway, all internet services have fibre behind them at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

The thing is, *every* Internet connection connects to fibre (at some point); even dial-up. Using the term fibre is disingenuous unless you're connecting directly to a fibre network. One local last-mile wireless or copper link is stretching it, but beyond that it's a meaningless marketing term.

Also, I believe that the Imagine mast I'm connected to (Old Kilcullen, Kildare) has microwave back-haul. I asked the installer directly, and he pretty much confirmed that it's *not* fibre. A look at the hops on a traceroute would support this.

In this case, there are at least two wireless links between my house and a fibre network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

I think we're over thinking things
    The main thing is are we getting considerably faster internet than any alternative
    I am
    Lte is now connected to surely 10 or 12000 homes or more at this stage
    There's bound to be problems,just like there are in the sky,voda,three and others talk to forums
    But they're a minority

Hmm. It's better than the alternatives perhaps, but there are serious issues at peak times. Here's a graph of my speeds at 21:00 every day since I had it installed. It's not a pretty picture...

While mine are absolutely fine in the evening usually 60 to 80 and high 90's during the day
    Here's one at half nine in the evening
    I guess a less busy mast, or a better connection,this is month 5 for me of stability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

OverRide wrote: »
    While mine are absolutely fine in the evening usually 60 to 80 and high 90's during the day
    Here's  one at half nine in the evening
    I guess a less busy mast, or a better connection,this is month 5 for me of stability

How close are you to the mast? I have 4 bars of signal strength, so that's not an issue. However, contention certainly seems to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

Has anyone in the nenagh/tountinna area been contacted about being installed yet. I see the imagine lte is live in your area signs have reappeared this morning. I signed up the end of October,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Dero wrote: »
    Hmm. It's better than the alternatives perhaps, but there are serious issues at peak times. Here's a graph of my speeds at 21:00 every day since I had it installed. It's not a pretty picture...

That seems kind of slow.

It's still though for most of that graph over 10 times faster than my fixed line connection so you could be worse off.

roddy15 wrote: »
    That seems kind of slow.

It's still though for most of that graph over 10 times faster than my fixed line connection so you could be worse off.

Yep, it is slow, and it is still better than any fixed line connection I could get. The problem is not really the actual peak speed, but rather the relative drop from the off-peak performance, which is a bad sign for their network capacity.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    How close are you to the mast? I have 4 bars of signal strength, so that's not an issue. However, contention certainly seems to be an issue.

8 kms and I can see slieve boy,no trees

I wonder would some areas have a bigger number of people on it who are heavy users?

Advertisement