Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm in the Nenagh area and imagine have placed many plastic signs with flimsy wooden stakes at the side of the road. They did this the night before a storm! Many are now being blown around.
    Does anyone know who I should report this to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm in the Nenagh area and imagine have placed many plastic signs with flimsy wooden stakes at the side of the road. They did this the night before a storm! Many are now being blown around.
    Does anyone know who I should report this to?
    your county council
    Best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

anyone else waiting for the tountina (ballina / killaloe) high site to go live? Anyone have an install date yet from them? Been waiting since October, every month told more delays. I am having to use a 4G modem to work from home and it's slowly killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

feeler wrote: »
    Has anyone in the nenagh/tountinna area been contacted about being installed yet. I see the imagine lte is live in your area signs have reappeared this morning. I signed up the end of October,

I saw a sign yesterday as well stating that the mast is live.
    anoble66 wrote: »
    anyone else waiting for the tountina (ballina / killaloe) high site to go live? Anyone have an install date yet from them? Been waiting since October, every month told more delays. I am having to use a 4G modem to work from home and it's slowly killing me.

Waiting since you since October for the install. I'll go mad if they would tell me now that after changing the mast position I am not covered anymore. I asked them to check that beforehand but for some weird reason they weren't able/willing to do it.

Can we keep each other updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

volker81k wrote: »
    I saw a sign yesterday as well stating that the mast is live.

Waiting since you since October for the install. I'll go mad if they would tell me now that after changing the mast position I am not covered anymore. I asked them to check that beforehand but for some weird reason they weren't able/willing to do it.

Can we keep each other updated?

Last time I was talking to them, they said I still be covered by the new mast location. I'm in shallee/Ballynahinch and would have line of sight on tountinna. But they where unable to tell me where the new site is.

Am I right in thinking some people have been refunded the deposit because of the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

feeler wrote: »
    Last time I was talking to them, they said I still be covered by the new mast location. I'm in shallee/Ballynahinch and would have line of sight on tountinna. But they where unable to tell me where the new site is.

I got a reply on Facebook of Imagine:
    The delays on the Tountinna mast have been completely out of our hands. We have access since yesterday but due to weather conditions we could not start the final works until today. We do hope to have installs started by Wednesday or Thursday. We will be in contact.

In addition I received a SMS today as well:
    Hi, just a quick update on your LTE High Speed Broadband Service. LTE Engineers are completing the final checks and your LTE High Site is due to be completed by the end of next week. Once the site goes live we will signal test the area and contact you within 5 working days to arrange your installation . Thanks - Imagine LTE

Should it really happen???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

volker81k wrote: »
    I got a reply on Facebook of Imagine:
    The delays on the Tountinna mast have been completely out of our hands. We have access since yesterday but due to weather conditions we could not start the final works until today. We do hope to have installs started by Wednesday or Thursday. We will be in contact.

In addition I received a SMS today as well:
    Hi, just a quick update on your LTE High Speed Broadband Service. LTE Engineers are completing the final checks and your LTE High Site is due to be completed by the end of next week. Once the site goes live we will signal test the area and contact you within 5 working days to arrange your installation . Thanks - Imagine LTE

Should it really happen???
    I received that text earlier aswell. They won't reply to me on Facebook.

also received the text today! So it looks like installs may finally happen. I have no idea where their new high site is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I'd also appreciate it if someone could let me know the log in for the router. Mine is a white piece of equipment with no manufacturers name but the info in this thread leads me to believe that it is a Gemtek. The model number is WVRTM-127ACN.

I'm also trying to set up a decent wired network in the house with a few extra wifi access points. Does anyone know if Imagine will facilitate me with replacing their router with my own if it's necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I'd also appreciate it if someone could let me know the log in for the router. Mine is a white piece of equipment with no manufacturers name but the info in this thread leads me to believe that it is a Gemtek. The model number is WVRTM-127ACN.

I'm also trying to set up a decent wired network in the house with a few extra wifi access points. Does anyone know if Imagine will facilitate me with replacing their router with my own if it's necessary?

Have you tried admin and admin1234 as the password?

Support helped me set up another wirelessly router as an access point so that I was able to hard wire more appliances. They also helped me configure it so that the channels weren't interfering with each other. As far as I'm aware they will not let you replace their router due to settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Irish Traveling

Folks,

Two quick q's:

- what are the typical upload speeds for LTE
    - is a traditionally RJ11 connection available for a telephone or is it just the mobile app?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Folks,

Two quick q's:

- what are the typical upload speeds for LTE
    - is a traditionally RJ11 connection available for a telephone or is it just the mobile app?

Thanks.

The upload speeds vary depending on line of sight and distance. Mine for example is 9.5mb however a friends is 4mb.

The phone connection is RJ11.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Support helped me set up another wirelessly router as an access point so that I was able to hard wire more appliances. They also helped me configure it so that the channels weren't interfering with each other. As far as I'm aware they will not let you replace their router due to settings.

Thanks. I'm still planning the network and I'll have a switch delivered during the week so it'll be a big job on Saturday. Good to hear that they facilitated you as it sounds exactly like I want to do.

interested to hear your progress Cilldara_2000. I also plan on patching in the supplied LTE router to my switch and just using it as a wired internet gateway. I want to turn wifi off their supplied device altogether. I am running separate wifi AP's around the house for coverage, plan on then just having the default gateway set to the LTE router.....think it should work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Interesting. RIP WIMAX.
    A Page that you like, Imagine Group, has changed its name to Imagine LTE.

2 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

tiny timy wrote: »
    Your NAT is good. If you have 2 then it's perfect. It means your ps4 is connected right, but it means nowt for your latency and such.
    A week later and after updating my dns, I still get very laggy game play on ps4 and disconnected every now and then..... So frustrating. It's a wired connection and speed test shows 30-40mb.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

emm80 wrote: »
    A week later and after updating my dns, I still get very laggy game play on ps4 and disconnected every now and then..... So frustrating. It's a wired connection and speed test shows 30-40mb.....

Have you done a speedtest to test your latency?

On the ps4 go to speedof.me and see what you are getting.

Forwarding ports may also be of help for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Any "idiot proof" guides to setting up an access point?

What I want and have, equipment wise: Imagine router →power line adapter→power line adapter→ second router,Linksys, as an AP.

Have you done a speedtest to test your latency?

On the ps4 go to speedof.me and see what you are getting.

Forwarding ports may also be of help for gaming.
    Did it on the ps4, wired and WiFi, strangely my speedtest app on my phone shows 30mb through WiFi, but when I test on ps4, wired and WiFi are at 10mb!!wtf latency is 82ms....why is my speed so slow through the ps4?? Did numerous tests on the ps4 all around 10 mb or less.....

But when I check speed through the settings tab on the ps4, it shows the same as my app, around 30mb..
    Can I manually forward ports on the router, or do I need to ring them..

• Advertisement

But when I check speed through the settings tab on the ps4, it shows the same as my app, around 30mb..
    Can I manually forward ports on the router, or do I need to ring them..

The issue is your latency. That's why you are having issues playing the online games. No way of fixing that. Opening the ports for Playstation may help a fraction, but nothing really noticeable.

Latency is your killer

The issue is your latency. That's why you are having issues playing the online games. No way of fixing that. Opening the ports for Playstation may help a fraction, but nothing really noticeable.

Latency is your killer

Goddammit, so 82ms is a high latency? I used to play Counter strike online on pc years ago, my ping was always up around that mark and It never affected me.... Ping and latency are the same thing am I right?
    Btw, When I test on my phone, my ping is always sub 30ms, how is this?

Thanks for the info BTW and apologies for the derail.

Goddammit, so 82ms is a high latency? I used to play Counter strike online on pc years ago, my ping was always up around that mark and It never affected me.... Ping and latency are the same thing am I right?

Thanks for the info BTW and apologies for the derail.

Correct, ping & latency are the same.

Just for the hell of it, have you tried using wifi in the ps4, just to see if it helps. Definitely look into opening ports, it may help.

Probably best to open a thread for this at this point.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ping and latency are the same thing am I right?
    Yes and no. Bear with me while I go off on a brief technical tangent.

Latency, or round-trip time (RTT) is the time it takes a packet to travel from point A on a network to point B, and for a packet to return from B to A; "ping" is a tool that's used to measure RTT.

Every two-way conversation on the Internet has latency. When you open a web page, you are sending HTTP requests to the web server and it is sending HTTP responses to your browser. The RTT depends, among other things, on where the server is - if you're connected to a server in China, your RTT is necessarily going to be higher than to a server in Dublin.

The "ping" utility tests RTT using ICMP packets. Specifically, it sends ICMP echo request packets, receives ICMP echo reply packets, and measures the time it took from sending to receiving.
    Firstly, it depends what your phone is pinging. If it's pinging a server that's nearby, but your PS4 is connecting to a server that's further away, you're going to see a difference.

It's also possible that ICMP packets are being treated differently by the LTE network. If ICMP packets have a higher priority than TCP or UDP, then they'll "skip the queue" on a busy connection, and the "ping" utility will have better RTTs than normal traffic on the same connection.

It's reasonable to assume that there's some degree of traffic management happening, because a voice service is included. The voice traffic is always going to have a higher priority than Internet traffic, otherwise calls would break up on a busy connection. That's not to say that ICMP is also being prioritised, but it's technically possible.

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    Any "idiot proof" guides to setting up an access point?

What I want and have, equipment wise: Imagine router →power line adapter→power line adapter→ second router,Linksys, as an AP.

So I have this setup to the point that I have internet access via ethernet from the AP. The issue I have is that when I have the SSID and password set as the router I get authentication errors and won't connect.

I know this stuff is veering away from this forum but I've rechecked the SSID and password and it's correct,it should auto connect to the AP, shouldn't it? Should I name the AP different to main router like "Imagine 2" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Anyone manage to set up a repeater or wireless access point, every time i do their router sees to try and pull the Wifi settings from the repeater and the wifi doesn't give any internet access, never had this on a land line repeater. Have tried alternative routers and keeps pulling from those routers rather than pushing the setting from the Imagine router. Very weird....Any one have that type of fun with there's? I've hollow core floors so need to extend the signal, doing that through power line adapters.

vanman99 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to set up a repeater or wireless access point, every time i do their router sees to try and pull the Wifi settings from the repeater and the wifi doesn't give any internet access, never had this on a land line repeater. Have tried alternative routers and keeps pulling from those routers rather than pushing the setting from the Imagine router. Very weird....Any one have that type of fun with there's? I've hollow core floors so need to extend the signal, doing that through power line adapters.
    I've just done it, only issue I had was no wi-fi access to the AP when the SSID was the same as the imagine router. I added a "b" to the end of the SSID on the AP and it works fine.

I'm only stumbling in the dark with it really and have had to rest the AP countless times.

I presume there's a conflict somewhere,DHCP disabled on the AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Got my first usage warning after 5 months with them. Haven't been throttled yet though.

Speeds aren't very consistent for me, but still miles better than my old Eir line. Glad I made the move when I did but will definitely jump ship again when FTTH reaches my home (whenever that will be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi ,
    Could you please pm me on how to connect access points to this . Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Hi ,
    Could you please pm me on how to connect access points to this . Thanks

Tbh you'd be better just calling customer support because I I can't remember all the steps, the guy on the phone goggled my TP Link router and talked me through the set up with their settings. Sorry I can't help.

Advertisement