Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The NBP is turning into the biggest bureaucratic clatterf*ck since Irish water...
    I've seen no evidence of that. I've seen a lot of bitching and moaning about how the second-biggest infrastructure project in the history of the state should have been done and dusted in six weeks, but misinformed carping is one of life's constants.
    ...and the main player, Eir is doing their level best to scupper it.
    By rolling out rural fibre to the home. Oh, the humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've seen no evidence of that. I've seen a lot of bitching and moaning about how the second-biggest infrastructure project in the history of the state should have been done and dusted in six weeks, but misinformed carping is one of life's constants. By rolling out rural fibre to the home. Oh, the humanity.

No petal, as I said they are not rolling out fibre to the intervention areas which are the areas not marked on the blue lines on their roll out map. The winning bid for the nbp will do this.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    No petal, as I said they are not rolling out fibre to the intervention areas which are the areas not marked on the blue lines on their roll out map. The winning bid for the nbp will do this.

"Petal"?

The intervention areas are defined by DCCAE. The blue lines on open eir's map don't define the intervention areas. And yes: the winning bid for the NBP will roll out rural fibre to the home - so what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've seen no evidence of that. I've seen a lot of bitching and moaning about how the second-biggest infrastructure project in the history of the state should have been done and dusted in six weeks, but misinformed carping is one of life's constants.
    Fine it's a really really complicated procurement process that could well end up being delayed for years in the courts unless the Department moves very carefully. Just be honest with people and say all deadlines are pretty meaningless in the circumstances and stop getting people's hopes up.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Fine it's a really really complicated procurement process that could well end up being delayed for years in the courts unless the Department moves very carefully.
    Absolutely - and the Department is moving very carefully.
    Just be honest with people and say all deadlines are pretty meaningless in the circumstances and stop getting people's hopes up.
    Let's be honest: if DCCAE issued a press release saying that they haven't the faintest idea when the process will be concluded, hell it could be twenty years, who knows - they'd be excoriated.

But there are threads for rural FTTH and NBP, and this is off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

upload and download count towards your 20Gb day limit.It take you 8 days I hope you have a backup Internet like mobile to do your daily surfing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

best to upload it in chunks over a 12-14 day period so that you have some data allowance left to perform regular tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

run it overnight and you'll be fine, start it at 11pm and try and stop it before 7am if not completed. They give a lot of allowance overnight.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

vanman99 wrote: »
    run it overnight and you'll be fine, start it at 11pm and try and stop it before 7am if not completed. They give a lot of allowance overnight.....

You sure about that? Recent (anecdotal) evidence would suggest otherwise. Has anyone managed to get a written confirmation of this?

I've had incidences of large overnight downloads being ignored in the past. However, more recently, they are clamping down immediately as soon as I trickle over 20GB at all. I'd say that the strictness of limit application is directly proportional to the load (number of active customers) on a given mast.

My current policy is to start large downloads at 10PM, on the basis that if I'm throttled at that point, it will have minimal impact on me before it resets. This is bad for the network though, as it encourages bulk transfers when the network is quite busy. I would much rather be a good network citizen and play nice, and that is what I would do if they had continued their original plan to discount overnight data from the 20GB allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

vanman99 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Imagine have been trottling most people who go over 20 gigs over a 24 hour period.

There was even posts made here a while back with customers downloading during the night and getting trottled by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

talking from my own experience i've downloaded a few PS4 games overnight and and no emails or throttling. The first game I downloaded i did during the day plus the usual day to day stuff and they cut me down to 1mb speed but since then i do it over night nothing, maybe it's just my mast, it's not at full capacity yet so they may be allowing it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

It's gotten so bad lately.
    Not even getting 3Mb down

chrismon wrote: »
    It's gotten so bad lately.
    Not even getting 3Mb down
    That bad you should post your speed test on there Facebook account see how they like it they probably fix it fast for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

rob808 wrote: »
    you should post your speed test on there Facebook account see how they like it.

That's a very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

That bad you should post your speed test on there Facebook account see how they like it they probably fix it fast for you.

Getting 24(above average here) down this morning so it's not a service issue.
    To many people on the exchange like we all know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

tiny timy wrote: »
    you should post your speed test on there Facebook account see how they like it.

That's a very good point
    Ahhh, but you see they don't allow you to post photos to their Facebook account. Absolute cowboys Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

chrismon wrote: »

Getting 24(above average here) down this morning so it's not a service issue.
    To many people on the exchange like we all know.
    Yes we know that - however, contention was not / is not supposed to be an issue. I have a ticket open with them since early February, which is now at the highest level of escalation (network operations department) - and my "[font=arial, sans-serif]and your connection at a site level is being monitored regularly to identify the cause of this issue"[/font]
    Smacks of BS and long fingering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello folks,
    I'm currently looking at getting Imagine LTE installed and the sales guy is telling me I can't connect my own router to their router via a LAN port. He's not telling me why. I want to be able to control access to the net via MAC address and change the DHCP DNS setting (control kids access to net).
    Has anyone been able to hook up their own router?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    I'm currently looking at getting Imagine LTE installed and the sales guy is telling me I can't connect my own router to their router via a LAN port. He's not telling me why. I want to be able to control access to the net via MAC address and change the DHCP DNS setting (control kids access to net).
    Has anyone been able to hook up their own router?
    Thanks.
    Hi kelly1, if the sales guy told you that he's talking cobblers.
    There's no problem whatsoever in running an ethernet cable from a lan port on the Imagine Router to the WAN port on your own router. No more than there's a problem in running an ethernet cable to a Homeplug from which you might run the Imagine feed to other Homeplugs around your house. Both scenarios work perfectly well, in tandem or in series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks Kesey. Since I posted, I called Imagine and another Sales guy told me it is possible. The previous rep said "that is the system we have in place". You'd would think he would look into it a bit more just to get the sale. Maybe they're not on commission :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

kelly1 wrote: »
    Thanks Kesey. Since I posted, I called Imagine and another Sales guy told me it is possible. The previous rep said "that is the system we have in place". You'd would think he would look into it a bit more just to get the sale. Maybe they're not on commission :)

At least you have had a more realistic taster of whats to come with Imagine LTE. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just received first email warning .........we are only home since 6 NO WAY we have hit 15GB
    A worrying development
    Annoying that we can't keep track of it

Never mind it was the Xbox after all

So at least I got an email in advance which is fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Beginning to seriously regret joining these, my speeds are fine, always close to 35+ when I check, and my ping seems fine when tested 50ms give or take sometimes 80, but the lag on my ps4 is literally unplayable.

I've requested them to forward all the ports that I found on various websites purporting to help with ps4 lag.

They mailed me back stating it was complete, and it's as bad as ever......
    How can it be that bad, my 2mb sky didn't have as bad a lag... Frustrating to say the least, will have to get back on to them, oh and the phone service is woeful laggy too, make conversations hilariously bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

emm80 wrote: »
    Beginning to seriously regret joining these, my speeds are fine, always close to 35+ when I check, and my ping seems fine when tested 50ms give or take sometimes 80, but the lag on my ps4 is literally unplayable.

I've requested them to forward all the ports that I found on various websites purporting to help with ps4 lag.

They mailed me back stating it was complete, and it's as bad as ever......
    How can it be that bad, my 2mb sky didn't have as bad a lag... Frustrating to say the least, will have to get back on to them, oh and the phone service is woeful laggy too, make conversations hilariously bad...

its not the latency but the packet loss. go to network settings on your xbox and do a test. check out the packet loss. alternatively go to pingtest and check.

let us know how you get on

irishchris wrote: »
    its not the latency but the packet loss. go to network settings on your xbox and do a test. check out the packet loss. alternatively go to pingtest and check.

let us know how you get on

I'm on ps4, I've did manys a connection test but didn't see any marker for packet loss? Is it called something else, I'll run another test when I'm home, I'll try pingtest.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm on ps4, I've did manys a connection test but didn't see any marker for packet loss? Is it called something else, I'll run another test when I'm home, I'll try pingtest.

Thanks

PS4 doesn't show it on the "Network Test" option. You'll need to use speedtest.net or a similar site.

Thanks
    Hi you could also Try cdm on your pc and put a website on it and it do a ping test for you.It tell you if there any packets loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Anyone know anything about "home phone on your mobile" as imagine advertise. Is there some app I need to download?

• Advertisement

160181892.png

did a fair few tests, most are in and around that result..... thats wired directly to the router, i use powerlines on the ps4, could that cause my isuue?im not in aposition to really get the ps4 closer to my router or i dont have a 25ft cat5 cable to try....

Advertisement