Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

emm80 wrote: »
    160181892.png

did a fair few tests, most are in and around that result..... thats wired directly to the router, i use powerlines on the ps4, could that cause my isuue?im not in aposition to really get the ps4 closer to my router or i dont have a 25ft cat5 cable to try....

I have my PS4 connected through powerlines and I get a bit of lag even when my ping is low, so it could be! I didn't think of it as an option before, but seeing we both have this in common then I reckon it might be the powerlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Wing126 wrote: »
    I have my PS4 connected through powerlines and I get a bit of lag even when my ping is low, so it could be! I didn't think of it as an option before, but seeing we both have this in common then I reckon it might be the powerlines!

Could be, I'll try hook it up direct to the router somehow, need to see if it is the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

160181892.png

did a fair few tests, most are in and around that result..... thats wired directly to the router, i use powerlines on the ps4, could that cause my isuue?im not in aposition to really get the ps4 closer to my router or i dont have a 25ft cat5 cable to try....

Maybe the high ping is due to the fact you are connecting to a server in Holland ? Have you tried an Irish server ?

I have somewhat of a similar issue, in that my pings deteriorate over time and a reboot of my router mostly sorts that... For me the symptom i Netflix hanging at 25%... never had that with my 1.5Mbps broadband and it is not the speed as it is always over 20 Mbps, it is always a high ping..

Does the performance improve when you reboot the router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

vanman99 wrote:
    talking from my own experience i've downloaded a few PS4 games overnight and and no emails or throttling. The first game I downloaded i did during the day plus the usual day to day stuff and they cut me down to 1mb speed but since then i do it over night nothing, maybe it's just my mast, it's not at full capacity yet so they may be allowing it for now.

Yep was getting hammered there for a while so rang imagine to see could I buy an add on or could the just double the price per month and give me a 40 gig a day limit but alas no.

However the guy did say that while he could not confirm or guarantee it 100% of the time. But the turn a blind eye to midnight to 7am limits. I asked why not advertise it, and he said that some people where abusing the system so badly they had to give themselves a way to stop it.

Anyway downloaded mass effect and horizon zero dawn, doom last night on ps4 and no throttling. Doom is 60gig mass effect is 48 and horizon was around 40 I think

Maybe the high ping is due to the fact you are connecting to a server in Holland ? Have you tried an Irish server ?

I have somewhat of a similar issue, in that my pings deteriorate over time and a reboot of my router mostly sorts that... For me the symptom i Netflix hanging at 25%... never had that with my 1.5Mbps broadband and it is not the speed as it is always over 20 Mbps, it is always a high ping..

Does the performance improve when you reboot the router ?

Would you call that a high ping? 53ms? I pinged holland manually because the site kept pinging Irish servers which had A results and no packet loss, wanted to test further afield.

I have rebooted the router, and not noticed any real difference, I'm annoyed I haven't tried ruling out the powerlines up until now, I'm gonna try tonight I'll let ye know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Imagine are ringing and texting me constantly over the past 2 days to join. Put having read peoples experiences here i think I'll just pass

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

tiny timy wrote: »
    Imagine are ringing and texting me constantly over the past 2 days to join. Put having read peoples experiences here i think I'll just pass

Personally, our house is stuck on 1.5mbps down and 0.2mbps up with Eir offering us pretty much zero hope of the cabinet in the village ever actually been done so we're seriously considering them. Only thing kind of holding us back is the increased cost, Vodafone offering 45 euro a month renewal.

Going by this thread though there's a number of things I want them to clear up before we put a deposit down to even try and get broadband from them. So I'll be shooting them an email to see, things like the apparent 12am-7am no usage limit, for example, is something I want a straight answer for.

I'll just point out though that people giving out in this thread while all valid are quite clearly in the minority. People seem to forget all the time that the people who don't experience issues generally won't be on the internet preaching. The majority of the time anyone on the internet talking about Imagine is going to be mentioning the issues they have because they need help or want to see if anyone else has that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Powerline adapters are a fudge, using cables that were never designed to carry data. They may work perfectly or they may be subject to interference leading to degraded performance. Is is unfair to blame the LTE service for ping spikes and packet loss when using such adapters. The only way to test fairly is by direct ethernet connection to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Powerline adapters are a fudge, using cables that were never designed to carry data. They may work perfectly or they may be subject to interference leading to degraded performance. Is is unfair to blame the LTE service for ping spikes and packet loss when using such adapters. The only way to test fairly is by direct ethernet connection to the router.

Homeplugs are only going to work properly if they are used on a ring circuit. Using them on radials just doesn't work properly

I agree, if I find out tonight the powerlines are the problem, I'll be a happy camper. My speeds are excellent otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Anyone know anything about "home phone on your mobile" as imagine advertise. Is there some app I need to download?

Anyone ever queried Imagine on this?

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TopTec wrote: »
    Anyone ever queried Imagine on this?

TT

It's mostly likely a softphone client that will install on your mobile and be registered to a hosted pbx they have

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

jcd5971 wrote: »

However the guy did say that while he could not confirm or guarantee it 100% of the time. But the turn a blind eye to midnight to 7am limits. I asked why not advertise it, and he said that some people where abusing the system so badly they had to give themselves a way to stop it.

They told me the same

I agree, if I find out tonight the powerlines are the problem, I'll be a happy camper. My speeds are excellent otherwise

Same ****e, unplayable lag. Wired direct to the router. Restarted the router, made little to no difference. This is unusable for anything other than browsing from what I see, I don't know what else I can try to improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mayoforsam123

anyone have router login details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

anyone have router login details

Best of luck getting them from Imagine.

They couldn't provide them to me and told me that each engineer changes them and also that they don't recommend users accessing the settings :D

I've asked a few times in the last 9 months too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Would Imagine suffer with many outages? I'm getting a phone call from them Monday, still undecided whether tomorrow sign up. Eir give me about 2.7mb down at best. If I could get a solid 10 down or so I'd be delighted.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Anyone who uses the VOIP service, how is it? Will my current phone that was provided by Eir years ago work on it or will we need to get a new one for it?

Our Eir contract is up and my father wants to get rid of it, so will need to migrate our number to Imagine soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

Hi all, just an FYI.. I called Imagine and asked about the 'Home phone on your mobile' app and they said they are still working on it. Ive been with imagine LTE now for about 6 months and have regularly been asking them about it and have been told varying information from 'its with the various app stores waiting to be launched' to 'we are still working on it'. 
    Generally I have been very happy with the service since getting installed. (Direct wired to the router speeds consistently 60 / 70MB and wifi consistently 30 MB + so happy with that. )
    There was one issue last week to make you all ware of. I got cut off without warning as Imagine had not received payment for Jan & Feb. Seems I had setup the monthly payment on my Debit card rather than a direct debit from my account. In December I was issued with a new Debit card. Imagine could not get the payment in Jan or Feb so decided against contacting me and just decided to cut me off without warning. I was none too pleased !
    I setup a DD straight away, might be an idea to check out how you were setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Thinking of getting Imagine and want to find out if they throttle you speed and what the peek speeds are like. Is the phone any good and is it expensive for mobile calls.

• Advertisement

I'm rural Mayo, and am on the Ballina mast and I have had no issues with the phone service since joining 5 months ago. Works fine and the international call charges are on their website. I get on average 20 - 40meg peak, 70 - 90 meg off peak.

I have also fallen foul of the debit card payment system they run..... have charged me a failed payment charge of 10 euro which is subject to a dispute at the moment. They insist I have a direct debit with them... I don't and my bank confirms this.

I have occasional outages, sometimes just for a few minutes, a couple of times a month. They texted me once when they were working on the mast warning me of an outage and they texted when it was back on.

Compared to the costlier 2meg at best, Eircom rubbish this is utopia. I am not in the plans for fibre either. Oh, and I bought a cheap Amazon phone which works fine.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wing126 wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the VOIP service, how is it? Will my current phone that was provided by Eir years ago work on it or will we need to get a new one for it?

Our Eir contract is up and my father wants to get rid of it, so will need to migrate our number to Imagine soon.

Any phone this side of 1995 should work just fine.

Dont cancel the Eir line first, remember to transfer the number before cancelling (just in case you didnt know).
    just_manu wrote: »
    Hi all, just an FYI.. I called Imagine and asked about the 'Home phone on your mobile' app and they said they are still working on it. Ive been with imagine LTE now for about 6 months and have regularly been asking them about it and have been told varying information from 'its with the various app stores waiting to be launched' to 'we are still working on it'.

Imagine are too small to keep Android and iOS devs in house, that kinda job would be contracted out to a small dev firm and turned around within a month. The fact that its still "coming soon" means they've been talking shíte.

TopTec wrote: »
    I'm rural Mayo, and am on the Ballina mast and I have had no issues with the phone service since joining 5 months ago. Works fine and the international call charges are on their website. I get on average 20 - 40meg peak, 70 - 90 meg off peak.

I have also fallen foul of the debit card payment system they run..... have charged me a failed payment charge of 10 euro which is subject to a dispute at the moment. They insist I have a direct debit with them... I don't and my bank confirms this.

I have occasional outages, sometimes just for a few minutes, a couple of times a month. They texted me once when they were working on the mast warning me of an outage and they texted when it was back on.

Compared to the costlier 2meg at best, Eircom rubbish this is utopia. I am not in the plans for fibre either. Oh, and I bought a cheap Amazon phone which works fine.

TT

Do you get woeful delays on phone calls? Or would you say it's comparable to a regular phone call made over an eir line.
    My calls are really poor quality and there's alot of delay, like 5 seconds or more sometimes, before the person on the other end heard what you said.
    Not a big deal as I don't use it much, but when I add it to the laggy online experience im getting I wonder do I have a router issue or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Thinking of getting Imagine and want to find out if they throttle you speed and what the peek speeds are like. Is the phone any good and is it expensive for mobile calls.

Why dont you read the thread or even better yet, for pricing ask Imagine or look at their website.

Do you get woeful delays on phone calls? Or would you say it's comparable to a regular phone call made over an eir line.

I do get occasional delays of a split second but only very occasionally. I get a lot of UK mobiles calling me and generally they are fine. Sometimes I have an echo of my voice but I usually terminate the call and get them to phone me again.

I would say it is better than the commonly crackly line I had with Eircom.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Why dont you read the thread or even better yet, for pricing ask Imagine or look at their website.

What a nice reply, still at least you didn't call imagine thieves or go on a rant this time, which is a pleasant change of pace.

And to answer his question, yes they throttle speed, they have a 20gig a.day allowance and strictly enforce it.
    After midnight this seems less enforced, but appears to be at best discretionary and is intermittent so would not like to rely on it being the case.

Speeds for most people here are good off peak around 40-80 down seems to be the consensus, on peak seems to vary a bit some people are claiming drops of 2-3 during peak times which is shocking if true (no screenshots posted to back up claims) others like myself are having no real variance between peak and off peak, maybe post your area and see if anyone else here is in it.

Also I find that irishcris on here is reliable, he's consistent in praising imagine when there good and calling them out when there not, morgana is another poster worth looking at as she has monitored her connection from start and is quick to back up any claims for or against them with screenshots etc.

And then ignore posts from TireeTerror and smellysock who appear to hate imagine for some reason and are entirely negative, there are definitely people here not happy with imagine but these 2 offer zero balance.

Welcome to the thread any other questions fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I just got throttled for downloading between 1am and 7am. Rang them and they said there is definitely a problem there and it shouldn't have happened. Of course, they can't unthrottle me at first level so it has to go to second level. Of course, second level don't work weekends.

Guess I'm off out to enjoy the sun.

For info, the chap said in passing that you have a 50GB allowance per week to use as you see fit between 1am and 7am. After that, you may get throttled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

d31b0y wrote: »
    I just got throttled for downloading between 1am and 7am. Rang them and they said there is definitely a problem there and it shouldn't have happened. Of course, they can't unthrottle me at first level so it has to go to second level. Of course, second level don't work weekends.

Guess I'm off out to enjoy the sun.

For info, the chap said in passing that you have a 50GB allowance per week to use as you see fit between 1am and 7am. After that, you may get throttled.
    That's about the 4th different version we have now for 12am to 7am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yep, I wish they would just come out and clarify fully on what's allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

d31b0y wrote: »
    Yep, I wish they would just come out and clarify fully on what's allowed.

they need to state all this very clearly on their website so people who are signing up know what they are in for.

Advertisement