Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

km79 wrote:
    That's about the 4th different version we have now for 12am to 7am

Yep it's a bit mad alright I kind of just want to know where I stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Very interesting about the early morning allowance. Might put it to the test soon.
    Generally I'm still quite happy with them, my peak speed varies a bit more than say 3 month ago (as in around 30 rather than 50) but in real terms it doesn't matter much. No issues with their ip phone but then I'm hardly using it.
    And I wouldn't hold my breath for the phone app - I was told it's coming soon tm when I got connected in February 2016 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Okay finally getting round to sending them the email I talked about, going to be asking about this supposed period where the cap is lifted. Let's hope as a potential customer they actually give an answer and if they do I'll share it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Throttled this evening. 0.5 download and phone gone as well.

Credit to them I got an answer pretty quickly.

"The data usage allowance is 20GB per day. The 12-7am period no longer exists however we do allow for one day of the week of usage up to 70GB. Therefore if on the Monday you were to download 70GB the rest of the week would be capped at 20GB and if you were to exceed that the speed is slowed down until midnight and then reset."

They really should update their TOS then if this is the case. Also got the usual they don't "support" using your own router along with their own for wifi, usual answer of they can't troubleshoot if you do use your own but that's probably not a huge deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

roddy15 wrote: »
    Credit to them I got an answer pretty quickly.

"The data usage allowance is 20GB per day. The 12-7am period no longer exists however we do allow for one day of the week of usage up to 70GB. Therefore if on the Monday you were to download 70GB the rest of the week would be capped at 20GB and if you were to exceed that the speed is slowed down until midnight and then reset."

They really should update their TOS then if this is the case. Also got the usual they don't "support" using your own router along with their own for wifi, usual answer of they can't troubleshoot if you do use your own but that's probably not a huge deal.

I went close to using 20GB one day and got a warning at 15
    So where does one day at 70GB fit into scenario I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

km79 wrote: »

It doesnt, they are dirty lying fcuckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

They rang me today trying to get me to sign up. I hit them with all the problems people have mentioned here and asked them to explain why people had these issues. They refused to answer and said to me, "so you don't want to sign up, thanks for your time".

Shower of good for nothings.

tiny timy wrote: »
    They rang me today trying to get me to sign up. I hit them with all the problems people have mentioned here and asked them to explain why people had these issues. They refused to answer and said to me, "so you don't want to sign up, thanks for your time".

Shower of good for nothings.

To be fair the guy I'm talking to via email has been very quick and efficient in answering everything. There's bound to be a few numpties answering the phones who have no interest in actually answering people's questions.

At least I have this 70GB claim in writing so if anyone wants to use it now they can, kind of why I asked them not to call me with answers but email them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

roddy15 wrote: »
    To be fair the guy I'm talking to via email has been very quick and efficient in answering everything. There's bound to be a few numpties answering the phones who have no interest in actually answering people's questions.

At least I have this 70GB claim in writing so if anyone wants to use it now they can, kind of why I asked them not to call me with answers but email them instead.

Its good to have but kinda useless now as you get redirected to the warning page over and over at 20gb, unless they fixed this in the last few days. If you are on a console, it's just unusable when this happens.

I've spoken to tech support and it keeps happening. I don't think they are honoring the 70gb anymore and I am almost sure that there was a post recently from someone saying that customer service told them it no longer applies.

I'm happy with the service but find the inconsistent 'service levels' a bit wearisome. I mean, just allow us to see our usage in real time or even send me a text, even throttle if things go high but making it unusable and sending stupid warning emails, is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rang me today, which I'd arranged, I didn't sign up, purely because we're on the fibre network and should get connected in next few months. Salesman (a Scottish bloke) did say he'd heard it all before and if he rang back in two months I probably wouldn't have broadband and probably wouldn't have space on imagines mast. But was friendly enough, and not too snippy considering he didn't get my sale.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

amadablam wrote: »
    Its good to have but kinda useless now as you get redirected to the warning page over and over at 20gb, unless they fixed this in the last few days. If you are on a console, it's just unusable when this happens.

I've spoken to tech support and it keeps happening. I don't think they are honoring the 70gb anymore and I am almost sure that there was a post recently from someone saying that customer service told them it no longer applies.

I'm happy with the service but find the inconsistent 'service levels' a bit wearisome. I mean, just allow us to see our usage in real time or even send me a text, even throttle if things go high but making it unusable and sending stupid warning emails, is just ridiculous.

I should probably email him back then about the fact people currently can't seem to avail of this 70GB. In the end of the day, this is all more than likely CS and salespeople not actually being told about the latest changes. We'll probably end up getting Imagine anyway regardless, Eir look like they are in no hurry to do the cabinet in the village and we aren't down for FTTH so not like we have other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Rang me today, which I'd arranged, I didn't sign up, purely because we're on the fibre network and should get connected in next few months. Salesman (a Scottish bloke) did say he'd heard it all before and if he rang back in two months I probably wouldn't have broadband and probably wouldn't have space on imagines mast. But was friendly enough, and not too snippy considering he didn't get my sale.

Thats because Scottish people are vastly superior to Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I doubt they would honer that 70gb once per week, from what I've read here over past few months, every Imagine employee has a different story to tell over the caps and night time usage but the only real evidence we see here is that people are getting trottled once they hit 20gigs and warning messages well before that.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I doubt they would honer that 70gb once per week, from what I've read here over past few months, every Imagine employee has a different story to tell over the caps and night time usage but the only real evidence we see here is that people are getting trottled once they hit 20gigs and warning messages well before that.

It definitely seems that way, can we actually take action though against this kind of thing though because it doesn't seem like it. Ridiculous that a company can get away with saying one thing on their TOS, their staff saying different things and then the customers experiencing something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Ed40aNy.png

That's my data usage according to my router and I got three "reached 15gb" email warnings this month. Seems fairly spot on

Edit *** for some reason the quantities didn't come out in the picture so here is the direct link.
    http://imgur.com/Ed40aNy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ed40aNy.png[/MG] That's my data usage according to my router and I got three "reached 15gb" email warnings this month. Seems fairly spot on Edit *** for some reason the quantities didn't come out in the picture so here is the direct link.[/img]http://imgur.com/Ed40aNy

Is this something that is easily accessed through Imagine's router or do you have a bridged router that monitors this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

Finally put it to the test
    Email warning at 15gb
    Throttled to exactly 1mb up and down at 20GB

No warning pages and it's usable

May test the 12-7 allowance sometime next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Is there an app or somewhere where you can check the data allowance used if you're an Imagine LTE customer?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Is this something that is easily accessed through Imagine's router or do you have a bridged router that monitors this?

Just hooked ASUS router up to the imagine one and knocked off their wifi.

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Is there an app or somewhere where you can check the data allowance used if you're an Imagine LTE customer?

Supposed to be in development according to customer care and it will give access to their router as well to make changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

So after a good run over the last few months my service has gone to sh*te over the last week.... im on the athlone site and getting speeds 0.5 - 5mpbs..... almost useless to me at this stage..... ive sent them an email this evening.... if i dont hear from them in the next 24hrs i'll be blocking my direct debit.

anyone else having problems on the Athlone site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It seems at this stage from reading this thread that Imagine start great but soon enough they go down hill quite fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I hit this 20Gb limit today completely by accident. Had the windows machine on and a game pulled down an auto update of 30Gb. Was working away on my Mac and noticed the network grind to a halt. Spotted the data usage warning mails and got straight onto support. It's honestly the worst customer experience I ever had. Told me straight out that the system is automated and no override exists. Asked to be escalated to talk to a manager as I had 4 hours of working from home still to go through. Was promised a callback within 24 hours. I kept asking to be transferred and was told that all supervisors are on calls right now. I asked to be put into their queue and he said no. So he mailed him instead. He told me that the limit was hard set at 1Mb and I queried where this is in the terms and he said the line states that it's at the company discretion. All their fair usage docs and links are redirecting to the home page so there is literally more info in this thread than on their official site.

I said I'd ring back in 30 mins as I had to take a work call which I had to tether from my phone. Second agent was worse if that is possible. He didn't know if he could or could not override it and kept saying that a supervisor would call me back. He out me on hold 9 times, every single time I asked a question he popped me on hold. Eventually got him to transfer me to a supervisor queue which was never answered. I hung up after 20 mins.

I completely get the need to throttle to ensure fairness but sub 1Mb speed makes the network unusable. Whatever about throttling to say 10% of your speed or blocking p2p traffic but a hard cap is just crazy. They surely must have a means to remove the limit or raise it. It's totally prohibitive and punishing for a mistake. Again I get it if it's a repeat offender but there are so many auto updating apps that breaching 20Gb is going to be a reality at some point. I done well to not trigger this in 3 months of use but I'm locked out of my connection since 1pm today. Really hope I get a supervisor call back tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine are ruthless with their cap enforcement, they do have to operate these caps because their wireless technology cannot handle data limits like other fibre technologies can, but still they should not be this ruthless and they should state clearly what you can and cannot do and at what times. Their website paints a very different situation to normal folk who dont understand or know about caps or fair usage policys.

All their staff members sing from a different hymn sheet in relation to the download allowance and the night time data. I think we've seen enough evidence here over past few weeks that the caps strictly are a 24/7 20 gigs per day no exceptions. The night time unlimited download is a pure myth and I wouldn't recommend anyone with Imagine trying it out for fun if you have important work to do the next day.

What's even more unbelieveable is their top management write articles into national newspapers claiming that FTTH is not needed and that their crappy wireless technology is more than adequate for the entire country for the next 10+ years. The sooner Eir rollout FTTH to Imagine areas the better, and be done with them, because this is far from the true fiber experience.

witless1 wrote: »
    I hit this 20Gb limit today completely by accident. Had the windows machine on and a game pulled down an auto update of 30Gb. Was working away on my Mac and noticed the network grind to a halt. Spotted the data usage warning mails and got straight onto support. It's honestly the worst customer experience I ever had. Told me straight out that the system is automated and no override exists.

You signed up up to 20gb limit and you expect an override? Are you more deserving than the rest of the people on the network?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Imagine are ruthless with their cap enforcement, they do have to operate these caps because their wireless technology cannot handle data limits like other fibre technologies can, but still they should not be this ruthless and they should state clearly what you can and cannot do and at what times. Their website paints a very different situation to normal folk who dont understand or know about caps or fair usage policys.

No different from the mobile phone companies, what is your point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

His point was imagine really only give you a taste of Fibre with there low day cap,with FTTH it the real thing and Eir given 300,000 rural homes with it.They really need to double that day cap it to low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

You signed up up to 20gb limit and you expect an override? Are you more deserving than the rest of the people on the network?

My point was about the rate enforcement being strictly set at an unusable rate of <1Mb. The size of the cap is not an issue its clesrly advertised and in fact to answer your question everyone has an entitlement to go above 20Gb by the simple fact they don't cut you off. I never signed up for an advertised rate and never had the implications of going over a cap fully explained. I did raise it as a question when I signed up and I'm looking at 3 notes I took to 3 very important questions to me, because this bothered me enough to root then out:

Q: If I exceed the cap what happens?
    A: Don't worry you can still use your broadband as normal we view the cap as days of the month x 20Gb so we will only enforce strict limits if you go over your monthly allowance.

The answer to that question combined with the complete lack of transparency on any contract or doc about fair usage is what is bothering me. The word fair hardly applies to their current unstated rate limit.

The other 2 questions were about breaking the contract fee or moving house fee as we are buying a house over the summer. I'm going to query those for authenticity today.

• Advertisement

using mobile broadband on a phone is a completely different experience to using a home broadband solution which is marketed as the true fibre experience.

Mobile broadband usage, most people only browse social media and read bus timetables whereas when you finaly move from dialup/single digit ADSL to Imagines Wireless LTE and are lucky enough to get speeds beyond 50megs, you would expect to be able to download games, Youtube 1080p to your hearts cocntent and binge watch netflix but you can't do any of that because your connection gets trottled to 1meg after you hit 20gigs which doesn't take long to do.

Advertisement