Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

To be complaining because you went over a known 'cap' is a bit odd.

If eir can advertise their FTTC and copper to the home as e-fibre then I can see no reason other companies cannot do something similar.

It would, IMO, be much better if all companies had to be clearer in their advertising regarding "fibre", "unlimited" and all the other things they either hide in small print or fudge so it is difficult to decipher what they mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To be complaining because you went over a known 'cap' is a bit odd.

If eir can advertise their FTTC and copper to the home as e-fibre then I can see no reason other companies cannot do something similar.

It would, IMO, be much better if all companies had to be clearer in their advertising regarding "fibre", "unlimited" and all the other things they either hide in small print or fudge so it is difficult to decipher what they mean.

I totally agree with the unlimited marketing used by nearly all internet service providers it needs to go and be replaced by what is really the data cap so people are clear on what they can download and know when they are nearing the data cap. There should be a law against advertising something as unlimited when there are clearly limits in place.

However Imagine is totally not clear about anything, even their staff give different answers. What imagine don't tell their customers before signing up is that their daily cap is so restrictive that normal tasks such as downloading games, large files or watching alot of 1080p tv/videos is not possible on the Imagine network without getting trottled. At least all the other providers allow you to do these things easily, Imagine is a midband service in a league of its own and customers are paying a top premium for a half arsed service because they have no other choice. Standalone FTTH, FTTC and Virgin Media are all cheaper than Imagine.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I totally agree with the unlimited marketing used by nearly all internet service providers it needs to go and be replaced by what is really the data cap so people are clear on what they can download and know when they are nearing the data cap. There should be a law against advertising something as unlimited when there are clearly limits in place.

However Imagine is totally not clear about anything, even their staff give different answers. What imagine don't tell their customers before signing up is that their daily cap is so restrictive that normal tasks such as downloading games, large files or watching alot of 1080p tv/videos is not possible on the Imagine network without getting trottled. At least all the other providers allow you to do these things easily, Imagine is a midband service in a league of its own and customers are paying a top premium for a half arsed service because they have no other choice. Standalone FTTH, FTTC and Virgin Media are all cheaper than Imagine.

Sure they are, and they provide a better service ....... for those who can get them.
    They were not so good before they had competition, which we tend to forget.
    The Imagine offering, where available, is a huge increase in service for most of us in the NBP area.
    Sure it is not as good as those mentioned, but it sure beats the heck out of copper 'broadband' at a distance from the exchange.

For the present the Imagine service has its place.

The main point is that if I sign up to their service I am well aware of the cap and can have no complaint if they throttle my service should I break their terms & conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mchief

I've been with Imagine since July 16, they contacted me 2 weeks ago to inform me my router needed to be updated. When i asked what type of update, i was told an update for the router and external unit, or it wouldn't work after the 16th of March. I agreed to the update, to my major disappointment i no longer have assess to my router, so now i have to contact them for any changes, this is really ***king bugging me!

Why was i lied to? Not an open and honest company IMO.

As for the daily limit, with 4K content on the increase via Netflix etc, along with larger game files and updates for games on PS4 or Xbox One S etc. Imagine is not the one for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mchief wrote: »
    I've been with Imagine since July 16, they contacted me 2 weeks ago to inform me my router needed to be updated. When i asked what type of update, i was told an update for the router and external unit, or it wouldn't work after the 16th of March. I agreed to the update, to my major disappointment i no longer have assess to my router, so now i have to contact them for any changes, this is really ***king bugging me!

Why was i lied to? Not an open and honest company IMO.

As for the daily limit, with 4K content on the increase via Netflix etc, along with larger game files and updates for games on PS4 or Xbox One S etc. Imagine is not the one for these.

Second post in 7 years! Thats how much Imagine annoys people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Gonzo wrote:
    All their staff members sing from a different hymn sheet in relation to the download allowance and the night time data. I think we've seen enough evidence here over past few weeks that the caps strictly are a 24/7 20 gigs per day no exceptions. The night time unlimited download is a pure myth and I wouldn't recommend anyone with Imagine trying it out for fun if you have important work to do the next day.

I was told it was discretionary between 12 and 7, I've only used it 4 times to be fair but when I have I've not been throttled and thats game downloads of over 40-80 gigs.

That being said hit 20gig semi regularly before being told about the after midnight exemption and I got throttled religiously at 20 gig limit.

I agree tho that clarification would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

6179157411.png

Did the deal with the devil. Lots of wifi issues right now though as we are trying to make the most of our uncapped DSL connection so trying to get two wifi networks. Right now the Imagine wifi is horribly inconsistent but it has an N66U right next to it so I imagine that doesn't help. Once these issues have got sorted out though this is heaven compared to the fixed line. The engineers said we could expect 67mbps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

The engineers told me I could expect 50mb down. I think I've reached 50mb down maybe once? since installation.

It's consistently around 10-18mb, which is better than my 1-3mb with Eir, but yeah, The engineers say one thing, the results show another.

Wing126 wrote: »
    The engineers told me I could expect 50mb down. I think I've reached 50mb down maybe once? since installation.

It's consistently around 10-18mb, which is better than my 1-3mb with Eir, but yeah, The engineers say one thing, the results show another.

Definitely but I suppose they are just guessing based on some variables. Kind of like fixed line ISPs can only give approx. To be fair our average is 90mbps but more around the 60mbps mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mchief

Second post in 7 years! Thats how much Imagine annoys people!

Ha ya perv, true ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

First day and at 9PM got a usage warning. :P Windows 10 is to blame though and me forgetting to turn back on metered connections. Will know for sure how well we can stay within the cap over the weekend.

Edit:
    Cap hit, here's the speed:
    6179989995.png

By comparison, our fixed line speeds were 1.5mbps down and 0.20mbps up.

For the sake of sanity I won't test the usage cap theory until we have a day where we'll be out most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When it comes to the Wifi, there are two connections available:
    ImagineLTE_xxxxx
    Imagine LTE5G_xxxxx

The LTE5G is the fastest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

RobertKK wrote: »
    ImagineLTE_xxxxx
    Imagine LTE5G_xxxxx

And how does one know what one has?

TT

RobertKK wrote: »
    ImagineLTE_xxxxx
    Imagine LTE5G_xxxxx

The LTE5G is the fastest.

That's if your network adapted can actually connect to 5GHz bands which a good few of our devices can't. I went ahead and used our N66U and all is fine now. Day 2 of imagine and not hitting 90mbps anymore but around high 50s to low 70s, won't be complaining too much about that though.

EDIT:
    Peak time usage or something?
    6182074868.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

roddy15 wrote: »
    That's if your network adapted can actually connect to 5GHz bands which a good few of our devices can't. I went ahead and used our N66U and all is fine now. Day 2 of imagine and not hitting 90mbps anymore but around high 50s to low 70s, won't be complaining too much about that though.

EDIT:
    Peak time usage or something?
    6182074868.png

yeah most likely contention, few posters here have had speeds of around 1-3 megs in the evenings because of it, the contention seems to be limited to certain masts.

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah most likely contention, few posters here have had speeds of around 1-3 megs in the evenings because of it, the contention seems to be limited to certain masts.

Yeah it only started around 6PM, doesn't seem to go slower than 5mbps but the ping fluctuations aren't pleasant it's been jumping between 20, 50, 100, 400.... In the long run, not something I'd put up with but if it means for the next few months/years (until Eir or whoever wins the NBP get their **** together) basically taking a break from games for a bit then shouldn't be too much of a sacrifice.

Day 2: Stayed within cap and besides the 6-7PM congestion a day of wonderful lag free Overwatch, twitch streaming etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Used to get throttled to 4-6Mbps, which was fine. Now we're getting 1, which really is unusable. Hot happy.

Used to get throttled to 4-6Mbps, which was fine. Now we're getting 1, which really is unusable. Hot happy.

Coming from around 1mbps on a fixed line it's fine for me. This so called unusable speed is what we've had for years and we've had to do everything on it, gaming, massive downloads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 feeler

hi, i'm after receiving my first imagine bill for €155. i was under the impression that when i signed up i was told there was a €150 installation free. €100 at the time of signing on and €50 to be added to your first bill. i see on the bill it says a once off activation free but i dont remember this being say at the time i signed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

feeler wrote: »
    hi, i'm after receiving my first imagine bill for €155. i was under the impression that when i signed up i was told there was a €150 installation free. €100 at the time of signing on and €50 to be added to your first bill. i see on the bill it says a once off activation free but i dont remember this being say at the time i signed up?

As far as I remember, when this happened to me, they said that you are also paying your bill one month in advance. Which they conveniently forget to tell you and when queried tell you that you should have been told this. :o

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    As far as I remember, when this happened to me, they said that you are also paying your bill one month in advance. Which they conveniently forget to tell you and when queried tell you that you should have been told this. :o

so its not just me them, i wonder what they'd have to say if i requested a copy of the call of when i signed up. as i'd be 100% sure it was never said about paying a month in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

so its not just me them, i wonder what they'd have to say if i requested a copy of the call of when i signed up. as i'd be 100% sure it was never said about paying a month in advance.

Going by my experience last year, all I got was an apology. I followed up with a written complaint and didn't get a response to that at all. I also was 100% sure it was never mentioned to me at any stage. They actually don't give a ****.

Going by my experience last year, all I got was an apology. I followed up with a written complaint and didn't get a response to that at all. I also was 100% sure it was never mentioned to me at any stage. They actually don't give a ****.

they'd give a sh*t very quickly if they were reported to regcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

You are now entitled to go to Comreg with this. You made contact, they didn't sort it, Comreg now take it up and can have you released from them with no penalty fees if you wish to be released from their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

I signed up for Imagine LTE in December 2016, Firstly I must say I'm very happy with the service. Its a BIG BIG difference from our previous 1mb coming in on the Eircom line.
    When I got the install done, I held off getting my landline number ported to Imagine. I'm ready to do this now but would like to know what experiences other here have had/or having with the service.
    Is there any down side to this with regard to not maintaining the physical landline into my house? Could I find at a later stage that if I needed to go back to some landline service that the landline might not be available to me?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

You do not have to port it to Imagine, you can choose to keep the number (if it is important to you) in your own control by porting it to an independent VOIP service.
    You would then set up your own hardware device working through the Imagine connection.
    When/if you change from Imagine in the future you would not need to worry about landline porting.

I have no idea how good the Imagine service is for VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

That is what you signed up for. You got the email on installation - 
    YOUR FIRST BILL EXPLAINED

Please remember that your first LTE bill will have the following charges.

[/td]
    [/tr]

• The one off installation charge of €100. Don’t worry if you paid this upfront it will show as “Payment Received” at the top of your bill and be automatically deducted from the “Total Amount” owed.
    • The one off connection charge of €50.
    • 1 month’s charge in advance for your LTE pack charge.
    • A partial LTE pack charge from when your service went live until the end of your first month.
    • Charges for any calls you made outside your pack during the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

You do not have to port it to Imagine, you can choose to keep the number (if it is important to you) in your own control by porting it to an independent VOIP service.
    You would then set up your own hardware device working through the Imagine connection.
    When/if you change from Imagine in the future you would not need to worry about landline porting.

I have no idea how good the Imagine service is for VOIP.

Thank you for your advice. I'm aware that I don't have to port it to imagine, however the package I have includes calls, so it would make financial sense to utilize it. Imagine have told me that I can keep my existing number on their network. My worry is regarding the line (copper) coming into my house, if I need it at a later stage will it still be serviceable?

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice. I'm aware that I don't have to port it to imagine, however the package I have includes calls, so it would make financial sense to utilize it. Imagine have told me that I can keep my existing number on their network. My worry is regarding the line (copper) coming into my house, if I need it at a later stage will it still be serviceable?

the copper will remain ........ at least until an alternative is agreed which might be fibre in the future .... sometime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Signed up to this in north east Galway. Been told a mast near us will go live in 5 weeks.  Can't handle the crappy intermittent Three signal anymore (from a mast only 1 field over) so cancelled the broadband account.  We're in the NBP amber zone but i don't expect to see a service till nearer 2020 - so i'm willing to chance this service. 
    Some less than impressive comments on here about their customer service and their throttling and data usage transparency - and i hope they move to improve this. One question i failed to ask when signing up - will the IP be a private or public IP?  Does anyone know?
    I was with Three over Meteor as Three provided me a Public IP (speeds were about the same). This allowed me to port forward to security cams and devices and access them over WAN.

Advertisement