Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Just had a sales rep at the door. Asked them why are they selling a service that's not fit for purpose. They couldn't understand where i was coming from.

Asked about poor latency and they had to ask me what that was.

I kindly asked them to leave my property.

Bloody joke, sales rep that doesn't understand what they are selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

So.....should I go ahead and get it installed? I'm currently with Bluebox, have been for several years, but the random outages are causing me problems, otherwise I'd stay with them as the speed isn't too bad most of the time, adequate for what I need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

excollier wrote: »
    So.....should I go ahead and get it installed? I'm currently with Bluebox, have been for several years, but the random outages are causing me problems, otherwise I'd stay with them as the speed isn't too bad most of the time, adequate for what I need

Up to you really. From what I've read here i won't be going near them. But who's not to say it might work grand for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Anybody using a VPN with Imagine? Any noticeable issues with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Wing126 wrote: »
    Anybody using a VPN with Imagine? Any noticeable issues with it?

I used a vpn service with no issues with imagine (that was before their service plummeted to unusable speeds and latency after 2 months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

irishchris wrote: »
    I used a vpn service with no issues with imagine (that was before their service plummeted to unusable speeds and latency after 2 months)

What's there service like lads ? Going to probably get it.. what's it like for gaming? Would have a few people connected on, have sky broadband which is okay but ping is very bad.. is it reliable?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Has anyone on thread cancelled with Imagine before contract expiry? FTTH should be in my area before my contract is over so I'd like to be able to get rid of the Imagine bill when I can.
    I think someone mentioned on here that there is a €100 termination fee which would be great but, reading the Ts & Cs, I found the following;
    10.2 If the Customer terminates this Agreement or the LTE Service(s) or any of them, during the Minimum Term, including in circumstances where the customer is changing address, imagine may, without prejudice to its rights to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination provided that the Equipment is returned in good order and that thirty (30) days prior written notice has been received of such termination and the Customer agrees to pay to imagine all outstanding charges accrued in full together with the termination charge of one hundred Euros (€100) inclusive of VAT for early termination of the LTE Service(s).

Does that read that you pay for services rendered thus far or you pay remainder of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

d31b0y wrote: »
    Has anyone on thread cancelled with Imagine before contract expiry? FTTH should be in my area before my contract is over so I'd like to be able to get rid of the Imagine bill when I can.
    I think someone mentioned on here that there is a €100 termination fee which would be great but, reading the Ts & Cs, I found the following;

Does that read that you pay for services rendered thus far or you pay remainder of contract?

I asked about this before signing up and according to the person who I spoke with it's €100 and any charges you haven't paid up until day of cancellation so you shouldn't be asked to pay for the remaining months.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

What's there service like lads ? Going to probably get it.. what's it like for gaming? Would have a few people connected on, have sky broadband which is okay but ping is very bad.. is it reliable?

Cheers
    excollier wrote: »

I have no problems with it and with them since November. Oldest lad plays Fifa online and never mentioned any ping issues. Extremely reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Cheers

Just my own experience but my pings are always sub 40 when tested and my speeds are always close to promised, BUT the In game lag I get is unplayable, I'm not exaggerating, I've been kicked from so many servers, courtesy ratings dropped because of it... I've got them to open ports, and I've called them and got the "plug it out for few minutes" solution.
    They going to send an engineer next but I'm not hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

My xbox online is grand. No latency issues. Didn't need them to forward any ports or anything like that. Just worked out of the box. emm80, what router do you have? I'll check mine when I go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Same no issues with Xbox live
    And at the risk of jinxing it 4 months on and speeds still great
    Really really happy BUT if anything does go wrong their CS is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bryanmeara

I have used these guys for the last nine months. I'd agree that their tech support is fairly poor. However the service is so reliable that aside from calling to try to understand how to adjust some of the router settings, I have never really had to interact with them. In nine months, the service had been down twice and both times I got a text message to tell me. The router does occasionally need to be restarted. I don't do any gaming. The service works great for me. I think we are about 6 miles from their mast.

Now Eir fibre are in my area, but they are charging the same as imagine. I was with Eir before and seemed to have ring their tech support almost every week. Unless something changes, I won't switch back,

Cheers for the help

I'll probably be getting imagine just a question with the router is there and fiddling you have to do with it etc? Just wondering as the panel they put up is way different from the internet that goes into the phone lines.. or will it work great from box?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bryanmeara

Hi,
    I don't fully understand the question. They supply a router which works fine. If you want to add another router or modify the wifi password or change your DNS or anything like that, it is really quite simple. The only problem is that the tech support are not much good to help and the router operates on a default 192.168.22 ip address range rather than a 192.168.1. So if you are trying to log into it to change advanced parameters you need to access it through 192.168.22.1. If I remember right, the default username password combination is admin/admin.

If you are not interated in adjusting those kind of parameters, it works just fine. Every couple weeks it cuts out but a quick restart (unplug it and plug it back in) seems to fix that every time for me anyway.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

What brand Router is it - and are other 3rd party devices supported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

What brand Router is it - and are other 3rd party devices supported?

They use various routers, green pack is the one I have. You can connect your own router to it no problem. You just can't replace their router with your own as it supplies the outside unit with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

d31b0y wrote: »
    My xbox online is grand. No latency issues. Didn't need them to forward any ports or anything like that. Just worked out of the box. emm80, what router do you have? I'll check mine when I go home.

Mine is a white unbranded one, row of green lights all across the front, even the box was unbranded.

• So here's a **** up:

I got 75% usage warning pushed out to all my devices via a web portal.

Thing is this automated service doesn't work properly as every time I click "I understand" it would get caught in a loop and open another browser window repeating the prompt no matter what device and no matter how many times i clicked it.

Spent an hour on tech support last night and they hadn't a clue. Basically told me suck it up and wait until the automated system resets at 12am.
    Ridiculous stuff. Spent half the call on hold more than likely buying time and continued to ask me to reset router or clear cache in browser.

So they push out this functionality without testing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Says a lot when Imagine cant manage a captive portal that even the airheads in Eir get right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So here's a **** up:

I got 75% usage warning pushed out to all my devices via a web portal.

Thing is this automated service doesn't work properly as every time I click "I understand" it would get caught in a loop and open another browser window repeating the prompt no matter what device and no matter how many times i clicked it.

Spent an hour on tech support last night and they hadn't a clue. Basically told me suck it up and wait until the automated system resets at 12am.
    Ridiculous stuff. Spent half the call on hold more than likely buying time and continued to ask me to reset router or clear cache in browser.

So they push out this functionality without testing it.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057558377/360/#post102930047

I posted on this 3 weeks ago and had a few calls with tech support who referred it to second level support?? Nothing happened.

Basically, it won't let you access xbox live when this happens so regardless of whether you are below your limit still or not, they don't seem to care.

I was told three weeks ago that it shouldn't happen. No **** Sherlock?! And that it would be fixed asap. The guy was genuinely decent and appreciated the issue. But nothing has happened.

Its a joke. I'm happy with the service and to stay within my allowance but I'm not happy to be denied to use my remaining daily allowance to access the subscribed services I pay for in addition to Imagine.

Imagine? What a great name because the product and service is really ill thought out in many ways.

Strange now, so week one and speeds were basically 90% of the time in the 60mbps range. Now it struggles to get to 40mbps. Sometimes not even getting 30mbps either. This is why we really need FTTH or at a minimum FTTC, LTE is just not fit for purpose when it comes to "fibre speeds".

I know it's still very fast but to get that kind of drop in speeds after just a week, surely there isn't that many more people on the mast a week later?

• amadablam wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057558377/360/#post102930047

I posted on this 3 weeks ago and had a few calls with tech support who referred it to second level support?? Nothing happened.

Basically, it won't let you access xbox live when this happens so regardless of whether you are below your limit still or not, they don't seem to care.

I was told three weeks ago that it shouldn't happen. No **** Sherlock?! And that it would be fixed asap. The guy was genuinely decent and appreciated the issue. But nothing has happened.

Its a joke. I'm happy with the service and to stay within my allowance but I'm not happy to be denied to use my remaining daily allowance to access the subscribed services I pay for in addition to Imagine.

Imagine? What a great name because the product and service is really ill thought out in many ways.

I'll land them with that when i call back. Some joke

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'll land them with that when i call back. Some joke

You can't go on Xbox live when you hit 20gb a day limit stupid!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

roddy15 wrote: »
    Strange now, so week one and speeds were basically 90% of the time in the 60mbps range. Now it struggles to get to 40mbps. Sometimes not even getting 30mbps either. This is why we really need FTTH or at a minimum FTTC, LTE is just not fit for purpose when it comes to "fibre speeds".

I know it's still very fast but to get that kind of drop in speeds after just a week, surely there isn't that many more people on the mast a week later?

very true, despite the fact that Imagine LTE management write reports in the national papers saying Imagine LTE should be the real future of fibre broadband in this country and that FTTH is not needed and a waste of money while they charge premium for thier half arsed product and punish their customers with arrogant emails and trottling of service for going over a small daily allowance. The sooner everyone get's rid of Imagine for FTTH the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gonzo wrote: »
    very true, despite the fact that Imagine LTE management write reports in the national papers saying Imagine LTE should be the real future of fibre broadband in this country and that FTTH is not needed and a waste of money while they charge premium for thier half arsed product and punish their customers with arrogant emails and trottling of service for going over a small daily allowance. The sooner everyone get's rid of Imagine for FTTH the better.

I just looked up that FTTH website from eir and according to the map if I lived 2 mins drive up the road I would have it and to make matters even worse another 1 min drive up the road in opposite direction I would have it. I am sickend. I have a 2Mb line at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Have you confirmed with Eir that you won't be getting it?

Seems the drop in speed is just Wi-Fi, no idea why though the W-iFi was fine last week and now it's being funny. Guess I need to invest in powerline adapters again when I can.

So over Wi-Fi, the max I can get now is about 30-50mbps, on ethernet, it's still up between 60-90mbps.

Seems the drop in speed is just Wi-Fi, no idea why though the W-iFi was fine last week and now it's being funny. Guess I need to invest in powerline adapters again when I can.

So over Wi-Fi, the max I can get now is about 30-50mbps, on ethernet, it's still up between 60-90mbps.

Strange so on the ehternet cable your on 60mb plus ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ethernet will always be better than wifi. I got my new connection the other day and on wifi the speed drops sharply away from the router while the ethernet is maxed out and always full speeds.

Advertisement