Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

flexcon wrote: »
    I would have expected the fibre from Virgin to be in or around the 5Mbps for HD. In other words, there shouldn't be any event where by a Virgin media customer does not get a HD picture...

I'm going to speculate that if I was watching Netflix on my 5" phone screen over WiFi on a Virgin connection, it wouldn't bother pulling a full HD stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

As of late I must have been using the internet a lot more as I now more or less go over my allowance on a daily basis, and that is only with browsing and netflix. No games download or similar here.

I am actually starting to doubt them a bit..
    I made sure Netflix is set to medium streaming (Up to 0.7Gb/hour according to them)

So 20 GB would last for 28 hours...we are not that sad we are watching TV 24 hrs a day..

I know that sometimes I would have 2 TVs running netflix or my daughter on youtube on her phone, wife on facebook... but that is it.. and for about 4-5 hours a day, maybe a few more during the weekend
    I am starting to wonder where my 20GBs are going.

I also noticed that I get a 15GB warning at let's say 20.15 and then a 20GB warning at 21.45.. That would mean something would be eating 5GB in 90 minutes ? Sometimes it is even less than 90 minutes.

They provide no way of tracking overall usage, so do I really need to buy a new router that I can control and where I can police usage myself ?
    It is fishy, very fishy..

Got home at 8pm this evening, did a little gaming. Got an email at 10.30 from imagine to say that I have reached 15GB and heading for max quota, makes no sense - my Asus router tells me I've used less that 7GB, which would be correct. Something is fishy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Imagine were quick to trumpet the Speedtest.net test results that saw them coming in second behind Virgin Media. Perhaps unsurprisingly they are reluctant to mention the Netflix ISP speed index which sees them in last position of the major ISPs.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/ireland/

This is true, but they are also the most improving ISP. This time last year they were at 1.85Mbps but now are at over 2.8Mbps which is impressive in a year to be fair to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Few people reporting that. Would really have to wonder how they're counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

NakQuada wrote: »
    Got home at 8pm this evening, did a little gaming. Got an email at 10.30 from imagine to say that I have reached 15GB and heading for max quota, makes no sense - my Asus router tells me I've used less that 7GB, which would be correct. Something is fishy indeed.

Finally got some monitoring capability installed.. will keep a very close eye on it.

I am all for a 20GB cap, if that what it takes to have good experience, after all that is what we signed up for, but they'd better stick to their side of that deal too and actually give us the 20GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Update to this post.

Have been in contact with support over the last few days regarding my previously mentioned issues. Some of the agents are among the most brazen bullcrap artists I've ever listened to. Had me run through two batteries of ping, tracer, and speed tests. First round didn't get through because the incompetent on the phone had inputted my account number incorrectly. Had to escalate again, but they refused to investigate because they saw the Windows Update icon in the Hidden Icons slot in my screenshots. Hadn't been downloading anything but they insisted that that all evidence be black and white. Fair enough. Didn't argue.

Next day I rang again to conduct the second battery of tests, and the obtuse, bumbling fool over the line said he had a look at the my speedtest screenshot and, rather meekly, explained that speeds in the twenties were acceptable by company standards. I said that the agent I'd spoken to before signing up must have exaggerated the 30mbps minimum, so. He agreed. I also mentioned the throngs of users on this thread who'd also heard 30mbps over the phone. That closed his mouth right quick and he proceeded to repeat some of the precautions I should take to reduce Wi-Fi disruption (which I'd already heard days ago), so I had to explain, once again, that these speed tests had been conducted through a wired connection with the Wi-Fi disabled, and even then it always stays below 30 and we still deal with occasional losses of connection. Like before, he struggled to speak over his own periphrasis, so I thanked him and hung up.

Rang again and got through to someone a little more helpful. He took the screenshots from the second tests, with Windows Update disabled, and now I'm due to hear from them... well, whenever, I suppose.

So, they still seem to be adamant that the issues stem from our environment or our network settings, and shrug off any suggestions that it could be the router or antenna. Progress is ever so slow.
    Something similar happened with my install. The installer had moved the antenna to a higher position and inadvertently made the connection worse. I ended up having to go onto the roof myself and readjust the antenna. I'm not suggesting you do this unless you are comfortable working at heights but it could be an explanation for what happened.

The device is located right under the eave of our roof, so I wouldn't be comfortable adjusting it for fear of making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Couldn't get into the router myself for ages (it's a white router), didn't think to look into the box they left, decided I would today and what do you know they left the setup guide with the login. I can finally go in and disable wifi and setup everything I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Any chance you could PM me the login details ???

XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Same also if anyone has the log on details for the white router with all the green lights no brand name,

Honestly asking tech support to port forward is fine, it's not fine when the guy on the bloody phone ask you to talk him through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Got the 15GB Warning at 00.10. Have they forgotten to put the clocks forward. Will I be throttled all day tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Johnfred wrote: »
    Got the 15GB Warning at 00.10. Have they forgotten to put the clocks forward. Will I be throttled all day tomorrow?

I've found the cap doesn't reset until 1am so it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joeyineire

Same looking for white router login details, installed yesterday but something is conflicting with my nighthawk and printer,having 2 wifi zones is a pain in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Got my new modem and router installed, the Gemtek white one. Speeds are actually a good bit higher (from 30-50 to 60-80 off peak), slightly lower ping (from 19 to 16), more importantly, haven't had to reboot since they installed on Friday, so issue fixed I hope. Pity though this new router doesn't have an on/off switch for the wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Hooked up my samknows box to the imagine router there a while ago (yep, well aware it eats into my usage).
    These are my average hourly speeds. It says last 30 days but I actually only have about 14 days of data recorded.

OqmW3zH.png

For me, it's been great but I will still be switching once FTTH is live in my area. The download limit is just too restrictive. It's absolutely fine for me, day to day but I have held off a few times now on downloading a game I wanted to play just because it would push me over the limit.

Highest recorded speed has been 102Mbps on 20th of April at 0400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

When does the limit turn off 1am to 12pm ? Just wondering before getting imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

In my experience the limit is there 24/7 . Downloaded a game overnight last week, throttled in the morning.

Yeah I also haven't seen any evidence that the cap is lifted or changes during that time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

roddy15 wrote: »
    Couldn't get into the router myself for ages (it's a white router), didn't think to look into the box they left, decided I would today and what do you know they left the setup guide with the login. I can finally go in and disable wifi and setup everything I need.

Could you also forward me those details please? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yet another request for details please - got installed today, no router info available -

edit:no need now, see below post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

What would I need to do so that I could plug my router into a spare port on their router and have my LAN separated from the LAN provided by their router? Like a LAN within a LAN - an extra hop internally in effect?
    That way I have admin control over my LAN (DHCP reservations most importantly).
    My old router was set up with a 10.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx LAN IP range and obviously I had admin and could control all the settings myself - don't like the idea of them having admin on my dhcp settings.

edit: sorted just changed my old router from the fixed IP setting that Bluebox used to "get IP address automatically from ISP" and it works a treat!! a degree of separation from the control of Imagine!! Full control of my LAN to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pl_donnelly

Hi roddy15 , I just got lte today and can't believe they don't give out admin to router , would u mind sending me on details. Cheers paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

TopTec wrote: »
    Keep us posted Rodge. I am interested in whether Comreg will actually do anything.

TT

So looks like I might be getting somewhere after months of hounding them!

Comreg took my case to Imagine about a month ago.
    Imagine never bothered to respond to me or Comreg after two weeks.

I informed Comreg of this and they send another letter to Imagine.
    Two weeks later and still no response from Imagine to me or Comreg.

I email Comreg last Friday suggesting to them that Imagine were taking the **** out of both of us.

This morning I received an email from Comreg - they stated they have contacted Imagine again and requested an immediate response.

A few hours later I got a text message from Imagine stating that their engineers would be doing some minor optimizations and upgrade works on the mast and that the network might be down for an hour or two tomorrow morning.
    Coincidence much?!

Hopefully network performance will improve in evenings from now on.

I'm connected to the Cappagh Mast in North Kildare by the way.

Just ordered for Imagine, should be good compared to our sky i believe 12mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Just ordered for Imagine, should be good compared to our sky i believe 12mb?

You gave up unlimited 12Mb Sky for Imagine? WOW! Id take that 12Mb any day of the week and ditch Imagine in the gutter where they belong.

You gave up unlimited 12Mb Sky for Imagine? WOW! Id take that 12Mb any day of the week and ditch Imagine in the gutter where they belong.

Not 12mb I believe it's 6mb to be honest it's terrible, really bad ping and get kicked from online servers for having to high ping when in the only person using the network. FTTH will be available next year so then I'll get that.

Why would you say that anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you had 12Mb in an NGB area it would be 11.6Mb~ day or night 365. Imagine, in some areas, is 90Mb at 4AM and 3Mb at 2PM. In others its not oversubscribed and is fine.

Right in my speed calculator it's saying 6mb, mine is a new location I think I only live from the mast about 8-10km away.. I liked sky but took ages to download I know of the 20gb max per day on imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

rodge123 wrote: »
    So looks like I might be getting somewhere after months of hounding them!

Comreg took my case to Imagine about a month ago.
    Imagine never bothered to respond to me or Comreg after two weeks.

I informed Comreg of this and they send another letter to Imagine.
    Two weeks later and still no response from Imagine to me or Comreg.

I email Comreg last Friday suggesting to them that Imagine were taking the **** out of both of us.

This morning I received an email from Comreg - they stated they have contacted Imagine again and requested an immediate response.

A few hours later I got a text message from Imagine stating that their engineers would be doing some minor optimizations and upgrade works on the mast and that the network might be down for an hour or two tomorrow morning.
    Coincidence much?!

Hopefully network performance will improve in evenings from now on.

I'm connected to the Cappagh Mast in North Kildare by the way.[/quoupoad.I'm down for an install tomorrow,will be receiving from the Maynooth mast. I hope it will be better than your experience as ivealrady had years of their not fit for purpose wimax service which worked at 4am but anytime from 3.30pm-12am was on its knees at 0.4mb DL & N/A upoad...yes N/A!!! And that was on their speed checker but they know they have you over a barrel. Can you get out of contract wit €100 payment as once FTTH becomes available I will be giving this shower of cowboys the boot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not 12mb I believe it's 6mb to be honest it's terrible, really bad ping and get kicked from online servers for having to high ping when in the only person using the network. FTTH will be available next year so then I'll get that.

Sky have been known to suffer from contention perhaps that explains why you were only getting 6megs, With Eir or Vodafone you would get close to 12 megs all the time and would have kept the 1tb per month allowance. Hopefully you will get decent speeds from Imagine but it's their daily cap that's an absolute deal breaker. I'd happily stay on ADSL over Imagine with speeds of 12. Great that you will be moving to FTTH next year so you will only have to put up with Imagine for a year before moving onto something far, far superior.

• Advertisement

Yes should be good, with imagine what speeds are the lowet just the 12mb? And ping what's the average I herd 20ping which sounds very good for someone like me.. does it matter if your closer to mast ?

Thanks

Advertisement