Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes should be good, with imagine what speeds are the lowet just the 12mb? And ping what's the average I herd 20ping which sounds very good for someone like me.. does it matter if your closer to mast ?

Thanks

It's hard to know what you'll get untill the lads arrive and install it, then monitor it at various times over the week. You could be one of the lucky ones getting consistent downloads of 60megs+ 24/7 or you could be on a mast which could suffer from huge swings in speeds due to contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

cheers gonzo

Whats the best internet speed checker? I was using one on my phone but seemed a bit off, Whats the the ping like for you? does it constantly stay at a certain ping etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cheers gonzo

Whats the best internet speed checker? I was using one on my phone but seemed a bit off, Whats the the ping like for you? does it constantly stay at a certain ping etc?

The best speedchecker is http://www.speedtest.net/

I don't have Imagine broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

cheers gonzo

Since Gonzo doesn't have Imagine I'll answer, for me ping is between 15-25ms to Irish servers on speedtest.net most of the time it's about 19/20ms though and only changes from that a few times every once and a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gooser14

My preference is testmy.net for speed testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

With the username and password :P

sent you pm
    Hi would you mind sending the info to me too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

rodge123 wrote: »
    So looks like I might be getting somewhere after months of hounding them!

Comreg took my case to Imagine about a month ago.
    Imagine never bothered to respond to me or Comreg after two weeks.

I informed Comreg of this and they send another letter to Imagine.
    Two weeks later and still no response from Imagine to me or Comreg.

I email Comreg last Friday suggesting to them that Imagine were taking the **** out of both of us.

This morning I received an email from Comreg - they stated they have contacted Imagine again and requested an immediate response.

A few hours later I got a text message from Imagine stating that their engineers would be doing some minor optimizations and upgrade works on the mast and that the network might be down for an hour or two tomorrow morning.
    Coincidence much?!

Hopefully network performance will improve in evenings from now on.

I'm connected to the Cappagh Mast in North Kildare by the way.

Don't rely on it......Comreg and Imagine as as useless as each other. I had wimax....Imagine introduced LTE which interfered with my service but could not upgrade me to LTE.
    This went on for months which I paid for no usable service. Complaint made to Imagine, no response. Escalated to Comreg who could only "request" imagine to contact me. Again on for months.
    Imagine then offered 1 month refund which i said was unacceptable.

So i forced the issue and cancelled my DD for current month and claimed back 2 months via SEPA dd refund. THis basically gave me €150 back vs the €50 they were offering. Imagine rang me a week later to close the complaint as I had resolved the issue myseflf.

Will never deal with them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id wish Imagine would **** off texting me

They continuously keep changing the removal word

Good news for you and your area of Tipperary you are now in coverage for Imagine LTE, Ireland's Fastest Rural Broadband Provider. Sign up today to get your Home Connected this week. Please call us Today On 1890929004. Text STOP to 50015 to stop receiving.

Hi - We contacted you last week by text to see if your broadband contract had expired? If the answer is YES then join the thousands of customers across Rural Ireland getting GENUINE speeds of up to 70meg using the imag!ne LTE network - Call us NOW on 1890 929 004 and get your home connected. Text Imagine Stop to 50015 to stop receiving texts.

Last time we spoke - you were stuck in a broadband contract - if you're now out of contract, join thousands of connected homes throughout rural Ireland enjoying Fibre Speed Broadband from imag!ne LTE - Call Us Now On 1890 929 004 - Text IMAGINESTOP to 50015.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

368100 wrote: »
    Don't rely on it......Comreg and Imagine as as useless as each other. I had wimax....Imagine introduced LTE which interfered with my service but could not upgrade me to LTE.
    This went on for months which I paid for no usable service. Complaint made to Imagine, no response. Escalated to Comreg who could only "request" imagine to contact me. Again on for months.
    Imagine then offered 1 month refund which i said was unacceptable.

So i forced the issue and cancelled my DD for current month and claimed back 2 months via SEPA dd refund. THis basically gave me €150 back vs the €50 they were offering. Imagine rang me a week later to close the complaint as I had resolved the issue myseflf.

Will never deal with them again

Had a similar experience when their LTE went live absolutely wrote off the wimax service, I got a text that works were being carried out on the mast & I might loose service...when service came back I had no service what so ever on wimax but simultaneously I was receiving tests that my mast had been upgraded to LTE!!!! Rang tec that evening and tec couldn't resolve and would escalate to second line and guaranteed a next day call back...heard nothing back rang CS next day and was promised a call from tech second line...never happed..rang again few days later and put a complaint in finally getting through to tech second line who got annoyed at me when I suggested that it was very coincidental that the day LTE becomes available wimax has basically stopped working altogether!!! I had been logging speed tests with them during this 5 day period which were 0.1mb DL N/A UL & pings of 5000-6000ms,google wouldnt even load alot of the time no matter what time I done them,got my account cancelled on the 8OFTH but on 17 got charged for a full month....meanwhile during all this time trying to get a call back from second line tech as my service had stopped working I received about 15 calls texts about LTE!! More phone calls on hold to try resolve the over charging issue!

Was down for an LTE connection today as to use it as a stop gap as nothing else available in the area till FTTH,took day off and was informed at 3pm that the install couldn't go ahead as they were having high rise mast issues...they were excluded from the NBP for good reason as their service is hardly fit for purpose today never mind in 5-10 years time when all us rural lads are on a oversold mast with no bandwidth left...the FTTH is the only future proof solution.

Sorry for essay but they really are a terrible company to deal with and their service is even worse.
    On a different note does anyone think when rte frequency becomes available to WISP it will improve things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On a different not does anyone think when rte frequency becomes available to WISP it will improve things?

The next TDD auction is coming soon/in progress. It's the same tech as Imagine are currently using. Whether its good or not depends on how they sell it. If they sell at 400/cell it'll be crap but they'll make ?1000s/mo, if they sell at 100/cell it'll be great but they'll make ?10s/mo.

When COMREG make money from licencing instead of giving them out based on contracted service level bids it just passes the cost onto the consumer and gives us crap networks. What they do is similar to us giving away our EEZ for fishing, pissing away a valuable resource for a quick buck.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The next TDD auction is coming soon/in progress. It's the same tech as Imagine are currently using. Whether its good or not depends on how they sell it. If they sell at 400/cell it'll be crap but they'll make ?1000s/mo, if they sell at 100/cell it'll be great but they'll make ?10s/mo.

When COMREG make money from licencing instead of giving them out based on contracted service level bids it just passes the cost onto the consumer and gives us crap networks. What they do is similar to us giving away our EEZ for fishing, pissing away a valuable resource for a quick buck.

They should be struck from being a WISP..they are just trying to make a quick buck & have absolutely no interest in the service the customer is receiving, I even got it admitted in emails from me complaining about wimax at the start that I shouldn't have been sold it as the mast was full?!how many other customers did they do this to? I know its a diff service but a companys ethos doesn't change that quick,it is as slow to change as their wireless dial up service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On a different note does anyone think when rte frequency becomes available to WISP it will improve things?

That frequency range, 694-790 MHz, will be too expensive for the WISPs to purchase. It will most likely be sold off in 3 blocks of 2x10 MHz at auction to the exiting three MNOs (Vodafone/3/eir) with the total price likely to be range €50-€100m for a 15 year licence. The technical conditions for the band are a paired frequency arrangement (FDD), 6 blocks of 2x5 MHz. Imagine currently uses unpaired TDD blocks for it LTE service in the 3.6 GHz band.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

I got a call from Imagine yesterday saying they wanted to upgrade my firmware and asked for my current ip address. I thought that was a bit odd. I did not give it straight away, but called them back and it appears it was Imagine. Why would they want to know my ip?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

I got a call from Imagine yesterday saying they wanted to upgrade my firmware and asked for my current ip address. I thought that was a bit odd. I did not give it straight away, but called them back and it appears it was Imagine. Why would they want to know my ip?

Poor documentation on their side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

They should be struck from being a WISP..they are just trying to make a quick buck & have absolutely no interest in the service the customer is receiving, I even got it admitted in emails from me complaining about wimax at the start that I shouldn't have been sold it as the mast was full?!how many other customers did they do this to? I know its a diff service but a companys ethos doesn't change that quick,it is as slow to change as their wireless dial up service

They got screwed over in Ireland apparently with Motorola and WiMax. They shouldn't have oversold to you, but I think the problem was they didn't get the proper rollout they were promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

What, they believed the spec sheets?! Lol.

Are they being screwed again by Huawei for oversubscribing and telling people there is "no contention" on a shared TDMA point-to-multipoint wireless system?!

Too cheap to licence a pinhole management gateway. Bula bos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Been having issues the past couple days, slower speeds than usual, dns timeouts, websites taking ages to load up, higher pings on playstation etc. Rang up 3 times now and all they've done is blaming devices with WiFi blocking up my channels so all they've done is change the channels twice now which hasn't really made any difference.

Haven't had as many problems as others until now so I don't know what is happening. Getting fed up of them just saying "there's too many devices around you".

It seems each time I ring in they ignore that I mention DNS timeouts and high Ping and just focus on the slow speeds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wing126 wrote: »
    Been having issues the past couple days, slower speeds than usual, dns timeouts, websites taking ages to load up, higher pings on playstation etc. Rang up 3 times now and all they've done is blaming devices with WiFi blocking up my channels so all they've done is change the channels twice now which hasn't really made any difference.

Haven't had as many problems as others until now so I don't know what is happening. Getting fed up of them just saying "there's too many devices around you".

It seems each time I ring in they ignore that I mention DNS timeouts and high Ping and just focus on the slow speeds...

Noticed this myself. It's fairly dodgy at the moment.

Noticed this myself. It's fairly dodgy at the moment.

contention must be kicking in across more masts as the service fills up with customers.

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »

Which mast are you receiving from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Headshot wrote: »
    Id wish Imagine would **** off texting me

They continuously keep changing the removal word

Good news for you and your area of Tipperary you are now in coverage for Imagine LTE, Ireland's Fastest Rural Broadband Provider. Sign up today to get your Home Connected this week. Please call us Today On 1890929004. Text STOP to 50015 to stop receiving.

Hi - We contacted you last week by text to see if your broadband contract had expired? If the answer is YES then join the thousands of customers across Rural Ireland getting GENUINE speeds of up to 70meg using the imag!ne LTE network - Call us NOW on 1890 929 004 and get your home connected. Text Imagine Stop to 50015 to stop receiving texts.

Last time we spoke - you were stuck in a broadband contract - if you're now out of contract, join thousands of connected homes throughout rural Ireland enjoying Fibre Speed Broadband from imag!ne LTE - Call Us Now On 1890 929 004 - Text IMAGINESTOP to 50015.

I thought the standard for "unsubscribing" to text marketing had to be replying with just the word stop and that it had to have immediate effect. They could probably get a ding from Comreg over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

I thought the standard for "unsubscribing" to text marketing had to be replying with just the word stop and that it had to have immediate effect. They could probably get a ding from Comreg over that.

You have to text stop to 50015

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I got connected in early March, I get over 90mb/s download speed and so far and long may it continue, no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tiny timy wrote: »
    You have to text stop to 50015

oh I have

Very much so but they keep annoying me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

RobertKK wrote: »
    I got connected in early March, I get over 90mb/s download speed and so far and long may it continue, no problems.

What mast?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

TopTec wrote: »
    What mast?

TT

Not sure, north Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

So without reading the whole thread would it be fair to summarize so far:
    • You can be in luck with the speeds or really unlucky depending on number of users
    • 20GB daily cap is strictly enforced and speed goes down dramatically when you reach this - there is no monthly option
    • Reliability vs fixed wireless isn't great
    • Imagine are a pain to deal with
    • There is no business product

If it were for a 5 user SOHO office business do you think it would be better to pay 60-100 pcm for a lower speed, better stability and reliability, monthly cap and guaranteed contention?

Thanks

Find a provider that will give you a CDR in the contract for the office.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Find a provider that will give you a CDR in the contract for the office.

...but be prepared to pay for it, and be suspicious of anyone who offers you a CDR on a shared medium.

Advertisement