Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i am going to try the vodafone sim 30g per month data on prepay, i am tired of 3, i do admit it is always on, their engineers ? have told me my connection of 0.987 is a good connection, fine for web browsing, but impossible to use a tv box on, next friday or saturday i will pull the trigger, i had over 2 gigs down and i was able to work the tv box, the my connection was throttled even as i was using 20g per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

6280611335.png

can't complain about that can I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Very nice speeds due to get mine installed next week or two, how far away are you from the mast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

about two miles :), can see it from my window - although it did drop out completely last Friday, forcing me to drive to work

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

i have similar speeds as above but my ping is in the 50's, anyone know anyways to improve the ping or is that all on Imagine's end. Have line of site to the mast 3-4km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi anyone know of a map showing the mast locations ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

excollier wrote: »
    6280611335.png

can't complain about that can I?

probably the 2nd best speedtest I've seen from Imagine, your very lucky!.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi anyone know of a map showing the mast locations ?
    https://www.imagine.ie/lte-irelands-rural-fibre-speed-coverage/

If you need help in identifying the location of a specific mast I can try be of assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Anyone have it in Athlone and if so how do you find it? I'm out in Shancurragh, Coosan on Digiweb at the minute, 30mb is just not cutting it anymore. Is the mast on the Sheraton like Digiwebs as I have good line of sight to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Anyone have it in Athlone and if so how do you find it? I'm out in Shancurragh, Coosan on Digiweb at the minute, 30mb is just not cutting it anymore. Is the mast on the Sheraton like Digiwebs as I have good line of sight to that?

30Mb not enough. I'm on a 2-3Mb but I will gladly stay on it than go with this crowd after reading through this thread.

• Advertisement

30Mb not enough. I'm on a 2-3Mb but I will gladly stay on it than go with this crowd after reading through this thread.

With 2 kids and a wife constantly streaming netflix and youtube, my skygo stream is constantly stuttering so I am thinking of getting this for myself and letting them squabble over usage of the 30mb..... :p

They should be installing mine Next week.. Just hoping for over 15mg that would be great. also low ping would be good.. Will update when It's installed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With 2 kids and a wife constantly streaming netflix and youtube, my skygo stream is constantly stuttering so I am thinking of getting this for myself and letting them squabble over usage of the 30mb..... :p

if you move to Imagine and have wife and kids constantly streaming you won't be long eating through that 20gig a day cap unless you lower everything to 480p. 1080p is 3 gigs per hour per device. You could use all your 24 hour daily allowance in 3 hours streaming in 1080p across multiple devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know the feeling. I was going to get Imagine as well as a dsl and let everyone use the imagine and have the DSL for myself for gaming. But I soon came to my senses.

Gonzo wrote: »
    if you move to Imagine and have wife and kids constantly streaming you won't be long eating through that 20gig a day cap unless you lower everything to 480p. 1080p is 3 gigs per hour per device. You could use all your 24 hour daily allowance in 3 hours streaming in 1080p across multiple devices.

I'll be taking the Imagine pack for myself, rarely get near 20gb per day, averaging 9/10gb. The fam can have the Digiweb pack for themselves. I know it might seem like madness to be paying for 2 different connections but I'm long enough waiting for FTTH/SIRO etc. that I can take a hit for 18 months until it becomes clearer what will be available to me out in the sticks.

Digiweb have a monthly allowance of 350GB-500GB depending on who you believe, they throttle it back until you get below your monthly allowance minus 20% so they'll soon learn to control their streaming. Also, if I need to download a big game or anything I'll just jump on their router for it.......I am the lord and master of all of the Internet (in my house only)! :pac:
    I know the feeling. I was going to get Imagine as well as a dsl and let everyone use the imagine and have the DSL for myself for gaming. But I soon came to my senses.

If it does go t1ts up then the fam can have Imagine and I'll go back to Digi....backup plans ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Having to reset the router every evening now as it just grinds to a halt otherwise.
    This is the fastest its been in a while.
    Great value at €60 for a "minimum" of 30Mb :mad:
    747RzBj.jpg

Im in Athlone.
    See my above post.

chrismon wrote: »
    Im in Athlone.
    See my above post.

Jaysus no thanks so with those speeds!!! Are you far from the mast etc?

seems to be very ify with some people.. Just gonna have to see when I get mine in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

chrismon wrote:
    Having to reset the router every evening now as it just grinds to a halt otherwise. This is the fastest its been in a while. Great value at €60 for a "minimum" of 30Mb

9 and 1 is still good though​.
    I mean I was making do on a below one Meg connection, and ftth fttc might as well be fibre to the made up land of imagination town where I'm living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bwana_dik

101 Mb was my fastest speedtest (can't post images/links apparently coz I’m a noob), using a wired connection to the imagine box.
    50-60 Mb is generally the speed for wifi connection.

I’ve hit the 15 GB warning maybe 6-7 times since installation (about 2.5 weeks) and also got throttled for 20 GB limit once or twice. Seemed strange to me as I didn’t think I was in the warning/throttling range.

Still, from 3.5 Mb on a good day (eir) to this, how bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

They didn't change my High Site in the end, had better line of sight to the one I'm currently connected to. Speeds are around 20mb through a powerline adapter. Might invest in a longer ethernet cable and get a bit better.

All in all, Imagine isn't ideal for me, but it's a much better alternative to what I had. As soon as FTTH is available i'll be dumping it. Although it looks to be next year or the year after before that happens.

Sorry about the late reply.
    Around 3k from the mast at the most.
    It has been up at 50Mb on speed tests so its not a problem with the range.
    Just their ****ty service.

Tonight's wonderful speeds.
    6295447459.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

chrismon wrote: »
    Tonight's wonderful speeds.
    6295447459.png

What part of the world are you in? Mine has been at an all time low over the past few weeks

amadablam wrote: »
    What part of the world are you in? Mine has been at an all time low over the past few weeks

Athlone, on the Monksland mast to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eskerman

I signed to Imagine a couple of months ago and it's hit and miss for me with speeds - I'm based in Enfield and I'm about circa 6km from mast - I've had plenty of speed tests recording speeds as low as 1.5 and I've also recorded speeds of 35plus

I won't be staying with them as my pole outside has just been wired with Fibre and I'm expecting Fibre connection in mid summer

I've struggled like many for over 15 years with poxy broadband and I'm about 5.5km from exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Seems like our connection is capped at 20-30mbps these past few days. Not once has it gone over 30mbps. Could be the trees though since the router page seems to show the signal bars bouncing between 4 and 5 bars. Not ideal but still faster than what we had before so might as well put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Gonzo wrote: »

In that case we've been extremely lucky in our house. We've had Imagine since last September.  The laptop has Youtube running for a few hours each day with one kid, and two others are on tablets regularly during the day at the weekend, and the telly is streaming for a few hours each day, but we don't come  up against any limit with Imagine. And the speeds also seem fine throughout the day and evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Getting this installed tomorrow. I have a concern though. I need to have the broadband installed in my home office which is detached from my house but I also need wifi accessibility from the house. The problem is at the moment my existing eircom router is too far for wifi between the office and my house. Does anyone know if the imagine router is any better?
    It seems that they are unwilling to run cable to two separate locations.

Advertisement