Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No single unit can do this, the regulation prevents it. Who your ISP is irrelevant.

Your job to link your premises. The straight forward way to do that is a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations linking the buildings and a second access point in the one not fed by the ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Getting this installed tomorrow. I have a concern though. I need to have the broadband installed in my home office which is detached from my house but I also need wifi accessibility from the house. The problem is at the moment my existing eircom router is too far for wifi between the office and my house. Does anyone know if the imagine router is any better?
    It seems that they are unwilling to run cable to two separate locations.

What about running an ethernet cable from Office into house and use the eircom router to provide the wifi in the house from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi , anyone using this in the Castledermot area? Getting the hard sell from Imagine but don't know anyone that actually moved to LTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭cornholio509

I would avoid imagine like the plague to be honest . I have been a long time customer with them and the new LTE package is nothing but a con job . 20 GB limit a day is more or less unusable . That is unless you want to wait until 1 AM where you get 50 GB of off peak usage . Once you hit either cap your connection is no better than that of the old three or O2 mobile connection routers . On top of that you have no control over the router . You have to email them in order to port forward , change your wireless ssid and password and so on . If anyone manages to get on your wireless you cant tell as you have no access .

I used to be on breeze service . Speeds were not as god but the connection was always stable and i had full control of my home network . Imagines LTE from a security point of view is a privacy nightmare . From what i can see sky is a better deal as it works out €5 cheaper per month and you get unlimited downloads along with the phone and a TV package .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I disagree with your sentiment above cornholio509.
    I knew the download limitations when I signed up. Sure, they are limiting but they aren't trying to pull the wool over your eyes with it.

No access to the router is a pain but I haven't heard about them not making a change for anyone. Painful but not really less secure.

Regarding download speeds.. A month in and it's still fine here. See attached for daily average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I would avoid imagine like the plague to be honest . .....

....From what i can see sky is a better deal as it works out €5 cheaper per month and you get unlimited downloads along with the phone and a TV package .

I am sure sky is a better deal, unfortunately most people on this thread have the choice of Imagine, 3G/4G if lucky, a meager 2Mb DSL connection or absolutely nothing.

I'd hazard a guess and say that 100% of the people here would not choose Imagine if they would live in an area that has proper cable, fibre or even high speed DSL available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6302826133.png

fairly consistent have it about 3 months now

@Happy_Harry
    I am aware that some people want broadband and are stuck with limited options . However imagines new LTE is shady at best . The only defense they have is company policy from their system been abused by employees . Now this is coming from someone who was a customer with them for 10+ years . THe new LTE system is a joke and on a security note a complete nightmare when it comes to privacy . I would rather dialup or any other crappy connection as long as i have full and complete control of my network and its security . This is standard when it comes to EIR , SKY , VODAPHONE and vrigin . There is a few others there . Now while i am aware that it might be there is nothing else available for some . Then people should know the risk of imagines new LTE system as in my eyes as someone with IT experience extremely flawed .

There is the security act of 1991 which covers this . UNfortunately because of the way its worded imagine can actually do this and blame an employee . They would actually get off scot free if a employee did access and take customers information from their network .

@ d31b0y
    You are aware or at least i hope you are aware that you have no control over your home network or anything attached to it . As of the day i got the connection and rang them about changing certains on my router . I lost it when one of the technicians i was talking too told me they had control over my network , and he even gave me my devices names and IP addresses on a private network . THis is a serious flaw in security and i feel that people should and must know about . i immediately encrypted every device with 32 character passwords .

Now as for speeds your experience maybe different . I am not having the steady speeds that you are getting . Infact its completely random and changes by the minute for me which is causing issue for me with both gaming and work . i know about the 20GB limit but i was given the false assumption that they would increase that cap as i have been a customer for 10 years . The exact words of the rep were " Since you are a long time customer we should be able to do something about the daily allowance for you " . SO as a loyal customer i lead to believe i would be treated as such , only to be put onto tech supports supervisors and told that was never the case after i signed up .

Now as far as router access goes what they are doing is shady . They have full admin access to your network . Really guys i cant understand why anyone is OK with that . Thats like giving a stranger the key to your front door and hoping they wont rob you blind . I was livid when a technician could give device names to me and how long they have been connected to the router . That's one step away from some random employee accessing personal information on your network . The only thing preventing that is company policy .

GIve me 2MB broadband or even old mobile HSDPA crappy connection speeds . It would still be better than having my network open to some employee in a company having full access rights to my network .

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Now as far as router access goes what they are doing is shady . They have full admin access to your network . Really guys i cant understand why anyone is OK with that . Thats like giving a stranger the key to your front door and hoping they wont rob you blind . I was livid when a technician could give device names to me and how long they have been connected to the router . That's one step away from some random employee accessing personal information on your network . The only thing preventing that is company policy .

Not really, no.

The reason an ISP can see what devices are connected to your router is because it's their router, to which they have management access for necessary technical reasons, and because that router has supplied the IP addresses to those devices.

The fact that a router acts as a DHCP server doesn't mean it has "admin access to your network". It just means that it hands out IP addresses on request. There's nothing nefarious about DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You are aware or at least i hope you are aware that you have no control over your home network or anything attached to it . As of the day i got the connection and rang them about changing certains on my router . I lost it when one of the technicians i was talking too told me they had control over my network , and he even gave me my devices names and IP addresses on a private network . THis is a serious flaw in security and i feel that people should and must know about . i immediately encrypted every device with 32 character passwords .

I work in the IT sector and I would wager that a lot of ISPs have some control over their equipment in your house.
    I'd be more worried about my ISP sniffing / shaping my traffic than I would about someone knowing a private IP address and hostname of a device on my network.
    Hell, I'll list all my private IP's and hostnames here if you want.

If you are that worried about the 'security' of your home network, you should have just added a router of your own and used Imagine's as an Internet gateway only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

d31b0y wrote: »
    If you are that worried about the 'security' of your home network, you should have just added a router of your own and used Imagine's as an Internet gateway only.

I have been doing just this but have noticed that it's connection drops out after a while and I have to reboot my own router, which was always reliable before when I used it with Bluebox.
    Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

excollier wrote: »
    I have been doing just this but have noticed that it's connection drops out after a while and I have to reboot my own router, which was always reliable before when I used it with Bluebox.
    Strange.

What router have Imagine supplied you with?
    I'm also having issue of connection dropping (Using my Netgear as Access point).
    Only happening since last week when Imagine changed their router from the small black one to the white one.

I was supplied with a white router - I connected my old reliable Netgear to this and told it to get it's IP address automatically from ISP ( Imagine's router in this case) My Netgear deals with DHCP and has reserved addresses for my hardware - cannot explain why connectivity drops out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

excollier wrote: »
    Strange.

Same here. I thought it must have been my TP-link (but I can't say for sure as I only recently got it, so can't say it worked well on another network)

Every night at about 8 or 9, need to reboot the TP link, despite me having a daily reboot anyway at 3 AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not really, no.

The reason an ISP can see what devices are connected to your router is because it's their router, to which they have management access for necessary technical reasons, and because that router has supplied the IP addresses to those devices.

The fact that a router acts as a DHCP server doesn't mean it has "admin access to your network". It just means that it hands out IP addresses on request. There's nothing nefarious about DHCP.

They could easily have SNMP running on your router which will give alot of information as to what your doing with your network.

GIve me 2MB broadband or even old mobile HSDPA crappy connection speeds . It would still be better than having my network open to some employee in a company having full access rights to my network .

Cool story bro, then what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

@Happy_Harry
    I am aware that some people want broadband and are stuck with limited options . However imagines new LTE is shady at best . The only defense they have is company policy from their system been abused by employees . Now this is coming from someone who was a customer with them for 10+ years . THe new LTE system is a joke and on a security note a complete nightmare when it comes to privacy . I would rather dialup or any other crappy connection as long as i have full and complete control of my network and its security . This is standard when it comes to EIR , SKY , VODAPHONE and vrigin . There is a few others there . Now while i am aware that it might be there is nothing else available for some . Then people should know the risk of imagines new LTE system as in my eyes as someone with IT experience extremely flawed .

There is the security act of 1991 which covers this . UNfortunately because of the way its worded imagine can actually do this and blame an employee . They would actually get off scot free if a employee did access and take customers information from their network .

@ d31b0y

Now as for speeds your experience maybe different . I am not having the steady speeds that you are getting . Infact its completely random and changes by the minute for me which is causing issue for me with both gaming and work . i know about the 20GB limit but i was given the false assumption that they would increase that cap as i have been a customer for 10 years . The exact words of the rep were " Since you are a long time customer we should be able to do something about the daily allowance for you " . SO as a loyal customer i lead to believe i would be treated as such , only to be put onto tech supports supervisors and told that was never the case after i signed up .

By IT experience do you mean you used Facebook once ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

chrismon wrote: »
    They could easily have SNMP running on your router which will give alot of information as to what your doing with your network.

They could, although SNMP doesn't actually tell you all that much. Mostly what ISPs want to know from routers is just enough information to be able to troubleshoot problems, and no more.

Trust me: your ISP doesn't care what you're doing on your home network, unless you make it their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

morgana wrote: »
    Yes I know - but i couldn't find the router on their webpage. Yr man was saying they will limit the number of subscriber to 400 to the one mast (Bweeng) to keep everybody happy :P. If such a deduction can be made from my ID, I'm customer 117 :P

I'm living in north county Dublin rural area, been with ripplecom for yonks. Now Imagine are around, limit of 400, 290+ so far, but going to hold off until I see how the neighbours get on. FIngers crossed. Have too say, local first impressions are impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sellphone wrote: »
    290+ so far,

How did you establish that? Was that just their marketing blurb or do you have some other source.

I'm interested as I have been trying to find out the numbers for the mast I'm on.

TT

• Advertisement

@listermint I have no interest in a dick waving contest with you about my IT skills .

Now eircom , sky , vodaphone and so on only restrict access to the modem or connection side of things on their devices . THis is so users dont accidentally screw with settings for the internet connection . All routing features inside the router for the home network are accessible and they have no reason lock or access them .

I cancelled my connection yesterday as its too invasive as to the level of control imagine have on the router . NOw while you guys think i maybe overacting i can garuntee you i am not . I needed ports open and found i had no router access . I rang them up to find out about it and they told me that they could make any changes to my network for me unfortunately no home user can or will have access to their router . WHen i asked about that they said they need to monitor each device's connection for troubleshooting purposes .

Now maybe i am been paranoid . WHy would they need to monitor my devices on my home network . All they need to do is monitor traffic at the modem level . To me its too intrusive and one step away from been illegal . Now maybe they dont monitor it for any other reason other than troubleshooting . Still that level of access is waiting to be abused . SOmeone will do that eventually .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

@listermint I have no interest in a dick waving contest with you about my IT skills .

Now eircom , sky , vodaphone and so on only restrict access to the modem or connection side of things on their devices . THis is so users dont accidentally screw with settings for the internet connection . All routing features inside the router for the home network are accessible and they have no reason lock or access them .

I cancelled my connection yesterday as its too invasive as to the level of control imagine have on the router . NOw while you guys think i maybe overacting i can garuntee you i am not . I needed ports open and found i had no router access . I rang them up to find out about it and they told me that they could make any changes to my network for me unfortunately no home user can or will have access to their router . WHen i asked about that they said they need to monitor each device's connection for troubleshooting purposes .

Now maybe i am been paranoid . WHy would they need to monitor my devices on my home network . All they need to do is monitor traffic at the modem level . To me its too intrusive and one step away from been illegal . Now maybe they dont monitor it for any other reason other than troubleshooting . Still that level of access is waiting to be abused . SOmeone will do that eventually .
    Good man, less contention for the rest of us.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They could, although SNMP doesn't actually tell you all that much. Mostly what ISPs want to know from routers is just enough information to be able to troubleshoot problems, and no more.

Trust me: your ISP doesn't care what you're doing on your home network, unless you make it their problem.

what would you know he works in IT:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6308099792.png

My drop down from 90mbps to that must be tree related, might check in with Imagine to see. Still worth it compared to 1.5mbps on Vodafone and really updates taking a few minutes longer isn't killing me. :P

jcd5971 wrote: »
    what would you know he works in IT:pac:

So do I, is there a cure for IT?
    I'll get my coat........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

We had a very poor experience from their Technical CS when we signed up last Dec. So I have been putting off calling about a technical problem with a personal alarm worn by an elderly person (Tunstall Emergency Response). However , my call was answered immediately , they were patient and friendly as I explained the issue. When they could not solve the issue there and then , they promised a call back in the pm with a solution. And they called later, waited for me to test the machine, happy days:D.
    We are also happy that our speeds remain good:).
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Internet completely down tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Been throttled. Downloaded a 22GB file after midnight and now have to deal with sub-1mbps speeds, in spite of reassurances at registration that downloading between 12am-7am is a-okay. Can't contact support because they're closed on weekends.

Utter show, this company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

DredFX wrote: »
    Been throttled. Downloaded a 22GB file after midnight and now have to deal with sub-1mbps speeds, in spite of reassurances at registration that downloading between 12am-7am is a-okay. Can't contact support because they're closed on weekends.

Utter show, this company.

To be honest, even though they told me as well that you get an extra 30GB a week to use during those times I haven't bothered trying it because of the countless different variations as to what the policy actually is during those times. I've had to download some big stuff and I just split it over a few nights, it's what I would have to do anyway before on the fixed line, it's annoying but not really much you can do.

Advertisement