Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

DredFX wrote: »
    Been throttled. Downloaded a 22GB file after midnight and now have to deal with sub-1mbps speeds, in spite of reassurances at registration that downloading between 12am-7am is a-okay. Can't contact support because they're closed on weekends.

Utter show, this company.

I'm with them a year and that 'floating' allowance hasn't applied for a long time, despite what they say. Their customer support can be very inconsistent.

Since they started with the automated warning at 75% allowance, they won't honor that extra allowance. Technically, I don't think their system could be able to identify the extra allowance now that the warning kicks in at 15gb.

You won't get much luck with customer care anyway so you are probably just stuck until midnight tonight.

As the previous poster said, it's easier to just monitor yourself as best you can and avoid the frustration because in my experience, you don't get anywhere with them other than annoyed :o

They really should allow us access to our usage so it would be easier to self monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

roddy15 wrote: »
    To be honest, even though they told me as well that you get an extra 30GB a week to use during those times I haven't bothered trying it because of the countless different variations as to what the policy actually is during those times. I've had to download some big stuff and I just split it over a few nights, it's what I would have to do anyway before on the fixed line, it's annoying but not really much you can do.

I don't get that, to be honest. I've downloaded massive files at night before. Never faced throttling as a result. Is this a recent change?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

TopTec wrote: »
    How did you establish that? Was that just their marketing blurb or do you have some other source.

I'm interested as I have been trying to find out the numbers for the mast I'm on.

TT

Based on their marketing and feedback from members of our local FB page. Not scientific but we know the number of houses in the area, however, between here and their mast location is another matter. No real way of knowing precisely, a guesstimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

DredFX wrote: »
    I don't get that, to be honest. I've downloaded massive files at night before. Never faced throttling as a result. Is this a recent change?

Downloaded a 41GB file from about 11 pm on Thursday night. Got the throttle email for the Thursday. Throttle reset at, I assume, 1am Friday morning and the download finished in the wee hours of Friday. No throttle or warning email on Friday.
    I would consider myself a fairly heavy user too. I stream everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

So Comreg have released the results of the 3.6Ghz Band Spectrum Award. Imagine have 60Mhz in each of the rural regions. I have no idea how that compares to what they've got currently. Does anyone know?

https://twitter.com/comreg/status/866594883208962048

Link to PDF document

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Anyone having issues with IPTV?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dero wrote: »
    So Comreg have released the results of the 3.6Ghz Band Spectrum Award. Imagine have 60Mhz in each of the rural regions. I have no idea how that compares to what they've got currently. Does anyone know?

https://twitter.com/comreg/status/866594883208962048

Link to PDF document

Under the FWALA scheme (the old 3.6GHz licences) they'd have a minimum of either 28MHz or 35MHz for any given site.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's a lot of spectrum for the mobile operators. As far as I know, bands 42 and 43 haven't been deployed anywhere yet, which means that nobody is making handsets for those bands. I'll be curious to see what they actually do with the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's a lot of spectrum for the mobile operators. As far as I know, bands 42 and 43 haven't been deployed anywhere yet, which means that nobody is making handsets for those bands. I'll be curious to see what they actually do with the spectrum.

Capacity bands for future 5G carrier aggregation maybe, sizeable chunks of urban capacity. Imagine has no similar requirement for urban capacity as they'll be concentrating rural BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Down again surprise surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Under the FWALA scheme (the old 3.6GHz licences) they'd have a minimum of either 28MHz or 35MHz for any given site.

Ok, in North Cork, for instance, if you take all of the overlapping FWALA areas, they have 150MHz.

They were looking for Comreg to increase the maximum allocation for an operator from 150MHz to 160MHz (which they didn't) but they only won 60MHz.

So this means a much reduced spectrum allocation in some areas.

They use 20MHz wide channels, so that's only 3 channels nationwide (in the rural licence regions, that is - they have zero MHz in urban). So on a site with 3 sectors, I'm sure they can use GPS/TDD sync but I assume they still need more than one channel per site to allow ABAB setup. Sounds VERY limiting.

Question is, can they operate/expand the service with so little spectrum, as little as 40% what they previously had in some areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Building a product on a trial licence was always a big gamble. Glad they got burned as it discourages that kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

From ComReg:

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/media-release-results-3-6-ghz-band-spectrum-award

Comreg in their own statement on the licensing in that link (you'll have to copy and paste it into your URL bar I think ) state : "The 3.6 GHz band is currently used for the provision of fixed wireless access services to about twenty five thousand customers, predominantly in rural areas. Imagine Communications Ireland Limited, by far the largest provider of fixed wireless access services in the 3.6 GHz band, holding 80% of the existing licences in the band, has secured sufficient spectrum so as to be in a position to maintain and enhance services."

Those are Comreg's words not imagines

So I reckon,those wishing a hasty demise will be waiting...

In googling this,I see on Imagines Facebook page that they've more than 25,000 connected to the LTE service at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Got mine installed today..
    Was in a very strange spot and was doing like 50mg which is decent, had to turn off the wifi and do cables (LAN cables) two hours later I turned on there's no green lights on showing strength all the rest are on ideas?

Also there's no system light on

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Got mine installed today..
    Was in a very strange spot and was doing like 50mg which is decent, had to turn off the wifi and do cables (LAN cables) two hours later I turned on there's no green lights on showing strength all the rest are on ideas?

Any chance the PoE cable to the antenna/modem is dislodged ?
    Why did you have to turn off wifi and do LAN cables ?

Any chance the PoE cable to the antenna/modem is dislodged ?
    Why did you have to turn off wifi and do LAN cables ?

Yes I think It did ( not 100%) , I turned of the wifi as I had to go up to the attic and turned it off had to drill down right beside the cables, if it got dislodged what will i do then?

Is it possible you struck the cable?

No tried and went as far away as possible, my lan cable was too short, and I think the PoE cable came loose it was only me at it.

Cheers.

Will I have to get them back imagine if the cable got loose lads? Didn't know just stupid in my sense will know for future..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

I cancelled my connection yesterday as its too invasive as to the level of control imagine have on the router . NOw while you guys think i maybe overacting i can garuntee you i am not . I needed ports open and found i had no router access . I rang them up to find out about it and they told me that they could make any changes to my network for me unfortunately no home user can or will have access to their router .

Hmm, interesting :-)

Had to ring in they escalated it straight away, still waiting for the call though he said today or tomorrow, should I ring back not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Can anybody recommend an a dect phone that works with the imagine router

Will I have to get them back imagine if the cable got loose lads? Didn't know just stupid in my sense will know for future..

I obviously don't know your set up, but you can indeed either call them or try to fix the cable.. any chance you can test the cable ? With a LAN cable tester or connect a laptop with the cable to the router and see if you get any connection to the router..

I obviously don't know your set up, but you can indeed either call them or try to fix the cable.. any chance you can test the cable ? With a LAN cable tester or connect a laptop with the cable to the router and see if you get any connection to the router..

Will try that very strange, they rang me to say their going to arrange for them to call out and see... don't know why it's doing this

Cheers.

Will try that very strange, they rang me to say their going to arrange for them to call out and see... don't know why it's doing this

Cheers.

Hope they will get you sorted, I am pretty sure they will..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

anyone know does imagine use the same masts as meteor/vodaone/three etc. i ask cause i have a good lte 4g signal to a meteor mast. just wondering do they use the same technology.

anyone know does imagine use the same masts as meteor/vodaone/three etc. i ask cause i have a good lte 4g signal to a meteor mast. just wondering do they use the same technology.

They can be co-located or not, there is no rule.

Imagines tech is 3500Mhz TDD, the rest are 800/1800Mhz FDD so while both are LTE they're quite different. Coverage on your phone has no implication as to what Imagine will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Hey folks, thinking of signing up to imagine. Do you have to use their router or can you use your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Hey folks, thinking of signing up to imagine. Do you have to use their router or can you use your own?

You need to use their router but then you can run a cable from their network port into the WAN connection on your own router and use that for wireless etc.

Advertisement