Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    The credentials are "known" correct?

Would love if some of the subs here can keep an eye on radio metrics if available. Nice to see what they do with the spectrum they have.

Mine is currently using 3490 and 3510MHz with 20MHz channels. From July these belong to Vodafone.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mine is currently using 3490 and 3510MHz with 20MHz channels.
    It's using both? Like, 40MHz total?
    From July these belong to Vodafone.
    There's a transition process involving transition protected licences and transition unprotected licences and yadda yadda. They'll have a wee while to migrate, as long as Voda play ball, which they should.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's using both? Like, 40MHz total? There's a transition process involving transition protected licences and transition unprotected licences and yadda yadda. They'll have a wee while to migrate, as long as Voda play ball, which they should.

No, it switches from time to time (without user interaction) so they are obviously using 2 X 20MHz channels on my sector. I presume they are doing this elsewhere.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, it switches from time to time (without user interaction) so they are obviously using 2 X 20MHz channels on my sector. I presume they are doing this elsewhere.

Interesting. A 20MHz channel centred on 3490 is using the upper 80% of the lower part of channel A (it's a split channel for possible FDD use), but a 20MHz channel centred on 3510 is using all of channel K and 70% of the upper part of channel E. Which is fine, if they have licences for those three channels at that location.

You've probably said before, but what mast are you on?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Interesting. A 20MHz channel centred on 3490 is using the upper 80% of the lower part of channel A (it's a split channel for possible FDD use), but a 20MHz channel centred on 3510 is using all of channel K and 70% of the upper part of channel E. Which is fine, if they have licences for those three channels at that location.

You've probably said before, but what mast are you on?

Jamestown bog just to the west of Navan, Co. Meath. According to the Comreg map they have B, E, J and K* there plus an A license in Navan that was freed up when they turned off Breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

NakQuada wrote: »
    Hey folks, Im on the Athy mast.
    In the last fortnight my speeds have dropped to single figures at peak times and I am getting latency spikes 200+ms. Really frustrating. Anyone experiencing similar issues?
    Having the same issues myself on the ben dash mast in co Clare. In the last month I've had download speeds of 1mb in the late evenings. Contacted tech support but have heard nothing back since initial correspondence. As I type this I'm currently at 5mb. Our area is earmarked for the national broadband plan so tbh it can't come quick enough. Paying imagine 60 quid a month for what was supposed to be a min of 30mb so I'm anxious for a competitive alternative i.e Vodafone. It's not always this bad but it's certainly happening more frequently lately. Certainly not worth the money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I dunno if they have gone and deprioritised youtube traffic. I have 20mbps speeds but at night I can barely stream a 720P video.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I dunno if they have gone and deprioritised youtube traffic. I have 20mbps speeds but at night I can barely stream a 720P video.

Yeah, I've also been getting around 40-60mbps but on YouTube, I can't watch even 480p without buffering it autos to 360p. It's only started doing this today for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

xxyyzz wrote: »

yes a thousand times i cant get my head around it, speed of 96 down but stream in youtube is dropping to 144p and 240p like what the actual ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Yep, have had the exact same problem. Rebooted router many times and had fast enough speedtest results.

I will ring them when they open. I feel very sorry for whoever answers the call if they have made youtube slower on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Did anyone ever have problems with their Internet speed after connecting a phone to their router? I got this phone (I bought it at Argos but the listing on their website is returning nothing) and ever since, our Internet has been a trainwreck. Regular slowdowns that can only be fixed by unplugging the DSL cable connecting the phone and the router.

I'd call support but I want an opinion from someone here before consulting any of those amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wait what. There is no DSL cable in this scenario? Can we assume you mean a phone cable between router and base station?

Are your tests wireless? If so its intra band interference as cordless phones are in the same range as wifi. Use a longer cable and put the base station way further away from the imagine unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Sorry, meant to say phone cable. Yes, tests are wireless. I'll try relocating the phone and see if that'll make a difference. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Hi I ordered imagine on Friday, payed the €100 and am waiting for an install date, they rang today to ask about changing over from my existing service provider (sky) and I asked about the 14 day cooling off period. I was told that started when I ordered, so last Friday. Is this correct? Why give 14days when in reality I might not even have it installed in that time. Really considering cancelling with them now. Have doubt about the data allowance but was gonna give it a try.
    Edit: Having read an email from Friday it does say it alright. Seen odd to start 14 days from then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I believe they have tried to enforce that 14 day cooling off period before with someone on thread and ended up conceding. No guarantee that they will not stick to their guns but if the service is not fit for purpose and you want out, I can't seem them trying to hold you to a contract.

For info, Eir have the same cooling off period (from order rather than install).

Thanks for that. I might still go with them, even if I go over data allowance it'll be throttled to 1mb which is about what I have now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

shane14 wrote: »
    Hi I ordered imagine on Friday, payed the €100 and am waiting for an install date, they rang today to ask about changing over from my existing service provider (sky) and I asked about the 14 day cooling off period. I was told that started when I ordered, so last Friday. Is this correct? Why give 14days when in reality I might not even have it installed in that time. Really considering cancelling with them now. Have doubt about the data allowance but was gonna give it a try.
    Edit: Having read an email from Friday it does say it alright. Seen odd to start 14 days from then.

Just cos they say it, doesn't make it true.

The consumer rights directive states:
    You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.
    If you haven't got a service, they have not concluded their end of the contract. Only when you receive their service is the contract concluded and so that is when the 14 days starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Thanks for that. I might still go with them, even if I go over data allowance it'll be throttled to 1mb which is about what I have now!

There have been some on here (search back through the thread) who have received a warning page as they approach the limit, which has effectively cut off their service completely, as accepting the warning that they are approaching the limit, causes them to receive a warning that they are approaching the limit, and on and on ... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

A few days back I hit the warning, I couldn't search on google it kept redirecting me back to google, I could go on YouTube and Facebook, but I rang in and their basically someone downloaded 4gigs during the midnight then I downloaded 20gigs during the day and it basically glitches the system they got working again then..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

@leex - i'm in County Galway (or rather my parent's are) and we are just under 7k from the mast.  I organised the install remotely here from London, and it's gone pretty smoothly.  They had to put up a very tall pole on the roof to get LoS to the mast.  They said the managed a 65 Mb speed test on the day of install - so if it's any where near that in reality we'll be happy (i haven't personally done speed tests)

Prior to this we were using Three since the NBS days - and the service had slowly degraded over time to the point where it was nearly useless.  The nearest Three mast to us never got upgraded to 4G and they could never commit to when that would happen - so we jumped ship to Imagine.  Eir fibre won't reach us and any NBP fibre coverage is likely many years away - so we didn't have much choice.

They'll be happy if the service can deliver solid video chats, and quick Youtube and netflix downloads. They aren't what i'd call power users - but when i visit i'll be very disappointed if the speed has dropped below 50% of what they got at install time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So I have been waiting on a space on the mast the past few months, finally got signed up today. Waiting on an install date. Been stuck on sub 1MB line with Eir and mobile broadband so I am looking forward to getting this up and running.

Can anybody say what equipment is put on the roof and do you have pics ? I want to let the landlord know what I am sticking up. ( He is very cool about things like this, he wont care, just letting him know out of courtesy )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tzardine wrote: »
    So I have been waiting on a space on the mast the past few months, finally got signed up today. Waiting on an install date. Been stuck on sub 1MB line with Eir and mobile broadband so I am looking forward to getting this up and running.

Can anybody say what equipment is put on the roof and do you have pics ? I want to let the landlord know what I am sticking up. ( He is very cool about things like this, he wont care, just letting him know out of courtesy )

Morgana posted pics in like the first two to three pages of this thread. Small white panel on a steel tube mount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

There's an image on the first page of the antenna.
    I actually think they have changed the antenna since as mine doesn't look like that but it gives enough of an idea.
    Mine went onto the chimney breast and I ran a cable through my attic (they wouldn't enter the attic) to the router in a utility room - about 20m away.

Hi just got this installed about an hour ago and already problems. Done speed test just after installers left and got results of 8mb down and 1up with a ping of 670ms! tried a few more tested with similar results. Rang tech support and they turned off wifi etc and "done a few things in the background" now getting .86 down and 1mb up but with a ping of 30ms. Anyone any ideas as to whats going on? CS said to monitor it for the afternoon and ring back if no improvement. Living in East Clare and the mast is Maghera.
    Update: received email about using 75% of data cap followed quickly by another email saying data cap exceeded. so that explains the current speed anyway. CS are ringing me back soon about the data which is obviously wrong unless about 20 speed tests is 20GB!!

Hi just got this installed about an hour ago and already problems. Done speed test just after installers left and got results of 8mb down and 1up with a ping of 670ms! tried a few more tested with similar results. Rang tech support and they turned off wifi etc and "done a few things in the background" now getting .86 down and 1mb up but with a ping of 30ms. Anyone any ideas as to whats going on? CS said to monitor it for the afternoon and ring back if no improvement. Living in East Clare and the mast is Maghera.

Personally, I found for the first few days the connection was a bit all over the place, it settled down after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

roddy15 wrote: »
    Personally, I found for the first few days the connection was a bit all over the place, it settled down after a while.

True, It took awhile a week and was fine.. Still doing great now.

I'll wait and see how it goes thanks

So I don't really feel like telling Imagine this but it seems the cap for us is hardly enforced at all. I don't have any way to monitor usage that accurately but I'm almost certain we've gone well over the cap two days in a row but nothing has happened on either day. I'm not sure if the early hours of the morning are contributing to the cap at all or if it's being capped during the day either. I know for certain we are over the cap because 11.8GB has been used on my PC today and my brother left on a steam download by accident that totalled to nearly 16GB so that obviously puts us over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Engineers came today to install but said there was good news and bad news. Apparently I am getting great signal but can not be installed. Something to do with not being able to install us on a sector. I did not quite get what he was saying, he may have been spoofing, but then I don't know any reason why he would, but he said there are 3 sectors and they are not allowed to install on one.as it turns out that is the only one they can pick up. He said I will be able to get it in the future if they release this sector ????

Anyhow, no install for me today. €100 is being returned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tzardine wrote: »
    Engineers came today to install but said there was good news and bad news. Apparently I am getting great signal but can not be installed. Something to do with not being able to install us on a sector. I did not quite get what he was saying, he may have been spoofing, but then I don't know any reason why he would, but he said there are 3 sectors and they are not allowed to install on one.as it turns out that is the only one they can pick up. He said I will be able to get it in the future if they release this sector ????

Anyhow, no install for me today. €100 is being returned

Sure you should get onto your local parish priest. I'd say Fr. Dougal is in charge of your parish now that Ted is dead.

Advertisement