Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Broadband in my area is due to go live tomorrow and I got a text from Imagine this afternoon to say that their LTE is now available at my address. Too late though I have pre-ordered from Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Does anyone know what their coverage map means. It looks like my house is in a light orange area as opposed to dark orange. Does this mean I can get imagine but my signal will be weak? Anyone else on light orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DRice wrote: »
    Does anyone know what their coverage map means. It looks like my house is in a light orange area as opposed to dark orange. Does this mean I can get imagine but my signal will be weak? Anyone else on light orange?

The dark orange sections seem to mean that the area may be covered by more than one transmitter. If you are in an orange area it means you should be covered but you'll really only know if you are when they come to install. Lots of tall trees or obstacles in the path to the transmitter would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Anyone working off the Kilcullen mast? I'm in two minds whether to sign up - my eircode is eligible and service is available they say. My two main worries are speed - what are others users in Kilcullen getting? And then there's the 20GB limit. When it's slowed down to 1mbps is it totally unusable? My current ISP speed sometimes drops down to 1mbps from 8 Mbps so anything would be an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone here on the Athy mast?
    Was ok with about 25-30MB download, 7MB upload and pings of 25ms when I got it but it's down to 6MB download, 1.5 upload and 200ms ping rates now.
    I'm almost 8 months into a contract so I'm looking at other options now.

Also, can I just leave and cite false advertising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

I think Imagine need to improve their speeds and stop overloading base stations....otherwise they will end up going similar road as digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

I don't think Imagine really cares there trying make as much money as they can before the NBP start but that look a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Honestly things are likely to disimprove with the reduction in licenced spectrum. Remains to be seen of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Well Imagine rang me today after the engineers visit.
    They have put me on a rolling 30 day contact since they can't fulfill their end of the contract.
    I can cancel at anytime with 30 days notice.
    This lets me look for a new service while still being able to cancel whenever.
    I think it's the best of a bad situation.
    Mr Velo wrote: »
    What area are you in Chris? Mine is acting the very same way for months.... and i'm still getting the runaround from Imagine.

I'm in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Anyone working off the Kilcullen mast? I'm in two minds whether to sign up - my eircode is eligible and service is available they say. My two main worries are speed - what are others users in Kilcullen getting? And then there's the 20GB limit. When it's slowed down to 1mbps is it totally unusable? My current ISP speed sometimes drops down to 1mbps from 8 Mbps so anything would be an improvement.
    The Kildare masts seem to be a particular problem,probably because being Dublin commuter belt they have a bigger percentage of heavier demand customers among the 'up to 400'
    Same seems true of some west of Ireland masts particularly near cities but not exclusively
    Out west it's just demand and having no competition pure and simple
    smokingman wrote: »
    Anyone here on the Athy mast?
    Was ok with about 25-30MB download, 7MB upload and pings of 25ms when I got it but it's down to 6MB download, 1.5 upload and 200ms ping rates now.
    I'm almost 8 months into a contract so I'm looking at other options now.

Also, can I just leave and cite false advertising?

The max they charge for exiting a contract is €100 even if you've all your term to go but are outside cooling off

My speeds are fine,usually not lower than 50 ,often above 70 still but most people (not me) have several options locally
    There's also an element of not wanting to pay the €60 in my area either to Imagine or anyone else if you can get 10 for half that stand alone or in bundles
    Suits me that there's loads of people like that away from urban areas

• Advertisement

When were you told there was availability on the kilcullen mast, I was told it was full on Tuesday?

When were you told there was availability on the kilcullen mast, I was told it was full on Tuesday?

Ah. It was a few weeks ago. Staying clear so. Even if a space appears it's bound to be congested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Ah. It was a few weeks ago. Staying clear so. Even if a space appears it's bound to be congested.

The Old Kilcullen mast seems to be heavily congested, yes. :(

I can get >80mb @5AM, and <10mb @9PM.

Dero wrote: »
    The Old Kilcullen mast seems to be heavily congested, yes. :(

I can get >80mb @5AM, and <10mb @9PM.

What time does it go down to 10mb is it all evening like 6pm until 11 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

It slows down for most of the evening, but the worst is usually 8PM - 11Pm. It varies though.

Dero wrote: »
    It slows down for most of the evening, but the worst is usually 8PM - 11Pm. It varies though.
    What's the lowest it goes down to?

Well there's a new one....
    All my attempts to go online are now greeted by this..
    Could not connect to database. Potentially too many connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Well there's a new one....
    All my attempts to go online are now greeted by this..

Do you have a screenshot of it?

Do you have a screenshot of it?

I do. It's just a plain text html doc with no resources. Not getting it now though, just getting disconnected every time and this post is probably going to take ages to put up on my edge mobile connection...

I do. It's just a plain text html doc with no resources. Not getting it now though, just getting disconnected every time and this post is probably going to take ages to put up on my edge mobile connection...

What mast are you on?

• Advertisement

What mast are you on?

Athy

I also got the same issue yesterday:

Possedion wrote: »

:eek::eek:Well now I'm definitely steering clear. I'm on the overlap between Athy and Old Kilcullen :p:p

also worth noting that their support hours are limited... not like the big telcos

also worth noting that their support hours are limited... not like the big telcos

True, I was trying to get them last night and their support closes at 8pm.
    Didn't have a chance to check on my way out this morning but it wasn't back during my kids' 3am "can I sleep here and kick you in the head for a bit" visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a casual observer on here I get the impression a lot of their platform is SME gear that really doesn't suit a national network. Add to that the presumed lack of monitoring and five 9s is a long way off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and this is the shower who like to badmouth FTTH for the NBP. this clearly shows that Imagine and wireless networks is not fit for purpose in such a large scale plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Gonzo wrote: »
    and this is the shower who like to badmouth FTTH for the NBP. this clearly shows that Imagine and wireless networks is not fit for purpose in such a large scale plan.

The problem is at this point the NBP looks like a non-starter at the rate it's going at. Once again hundreds of thousands of homes are left in the ****ter, it's like the Three rollout of the past.

I'm away on holiday now so hopefully by the time I'm back my mast is still relatively empty.

It's just annoying the state will probably brag now about how great the Imagine rollout is and how it's such a great intern solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

No data base issues with me,but I'd agree the regulation of Imagine is woeful
    There should be quality control regulation

That being said,they've circa 15 to 20000 customers now,all of whom have just worse and in most cases significantly worse land line broadband options available

I don't see the point of using ftth as a yardstick to bash imagine with,if it's not available to Imagines customers

Then there's those who think 4 or 5 Mb broadband is the bees knees
    There's a significant amount of those people around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Advertisement