Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

d31b0y wrote: »
    Samknows stats for last month, for those interested.

4OO9VJZ.png
    9PdDhWf.png
    59UqweE.png

That's cool.
    Would be a nice little project to script up on a pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6504423288.png

on wireless, fairly consistent at this speed as well, usual goes over 80 when wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    For sure there are ways around it , but the average person with a games console with large game updates probably isn't going to be aware/able to use things like that..

That 1hr "air gap" in the schedule just makes it far more difficult to avail of the facility..
    I'm normally awake until 1 anyway so I can manually start it, only way I'll know if it works is by trying to download the rest of it. Worst case scenario, I'll have eaten up the daily limit by 3am. I'm going to assume everyone has this 50gb allowance and give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's basically like running speedtest.net every couple of hours , think it runs about 6 or 8 tests a day across the 24hrs.

Shouldn't really impact Data cap unless you are running things very very close.
    I have the box also and I asked SamKnows for data figures. On three consecutive days the box used 470MB, 670MB and 610MB. This was before they revamped their site so it may be even greater now with more tests added.

This exactly. The amount of data used actually depends on the speed of your connection. The higher the speed, the more data required.
    It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the box was using up to and above 1GB per day running tests. Hardly a trivial amount when you have a 20GB per day limit.
    I can currently spare it but I am sure it would tip some users over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

A change of tack but has anyone ever had to move, or had moved, their receiving unit on the roof? Was it straightforward to replace it afterwards without the metering equipment Imagine fitters use?

Roof being replaced for the next couple of weeks and the unit is in the way.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

TopTec wrote: »
    A change of tack but has anyone ever had to move, or had moved, their receiving unit on the roof? Was it straightforward to replace it afterwards without the metering equipment Imagine fitters use?

TT

I moved mine from the front of the chimney to the side without issue. I just aligned it visually. I have clear visual LoS to the mast though, so it was easy.

It's not anywhere near as fussy as a satellite dish.

Dero wrote: »

It's not anywhere near as fussy as a satellite dish.

Bugger! I have to do both this pm. I have line of sight too but in this weather can't see more than 100 metres!!
    Thanks.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Install just done - here's a test (via wired connection)

Screenshot_2017_08_02_13_10_31.png

Edit : Click on the image for the full pic - it's 47.10 upload

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bugger! I have to do both this pm. I have line of sight too but in this weather can't see more than 100 metres!!

If you're not moving it far - like, literally less than a metre - then you can aim it pretty well by getting a sense of what it's pointing at that you can see and pointing it at the same thing. Let's say you can't see the mast but you can see that it's pointing over the left-hand post of the neighbour's gate, then point it over the same post when it's moved.

Obviously pick the furthest feature that you can see to minimise the effect of parallax.

You can double-check the aim once the visibility improves, but I'd be surprised if those CPEs have less than 15⁰ beamwidth, so it should be fine.

Also - needed to set up some port forwarding etc. but the installer told me they are not allowed give it out and I had to call support

I had a go myself anyhow and the username/password is admin/admin

Very secure eh ?

Oh yeah - I asked the installer about the 50GB at night thing and he said he never heard of it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

TT

My outdoor unit has five blue signal level LEDs on it. If yours is the same you want as many of the LEDs lit as possible when you adjust it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭fabsoul

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Cool - gotta get me one of those boxes !

I assume you have one ? Are they hard to get ?

I have one in a box at home if anyone want it.
    its free just pay postage

fabsoul wrote: »
    I have one in a box at home if anyone want it.
    its free just pay postage

I'll take it please - will you take PayPal payment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I'll take it please - will you take PayPal payment ?

yes I'll take Paypal.
    send me you info by PM
    I'll find out how much to post it or fastway i think €12.30

Hmm..trying to set up port forwarding but I can't see how to assign IP addresses based on MAC addresses.

This is how I would normally do this.

Anybody done this on the greenpacket router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Hmm..trying to set up port forwarding but I can't see how to assign IP addresses based on MAC addresses.

This is how I would normally do this.

Anybody done this on the greenpacket router ?

Why do you want to do it by MAC instead of IP address?

chrismon wrote: »
    Why do you want to do it by MAC instead of IP address?

I assume he means assigning static DHCP leases so that the same MAC address always gets the same IP address, which is useful for port forwarding.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I assume he means assigning static DHCP leases so that the same MAC address always gets the same IP address, which is useful for port forwarding.

Yep - to assign specific IP addresses based on a devices MAC address.

I had to go the other way around and manually configure my other devices to have a specific IP address.

Thought I had it set up right but not working when I can in to work today and tried it...

Oh well - more fiddling required

Well, the imagine receiver was a cinch..... 12k to the Ballina mast with L.O.S. No blue lights but a red LED. 1st attempt got 69 meg at 2pm so was happy with that.

But, the Sky .... a real pain..... done now though.

Thanks for advice Pepes.

TT

So I still can't get port forwarding to work

I've just set up one for SSH on Port 22 to try and get that working

Here's the main setting I have (Click image for bigger pic):

Screenshot_2017_08_03_21_41_51.png

and

Screenshot_2017_08_03_21_42_33.png

It just won't let me through - anybody got any ideas or will I have to call tech support tomorrow ?

(BTW : I can ssh from my laptop to that box internally so it is open and listening on that IP address)

• Advertisement

So I still can't get port forwarding to work

I've just set up one for SSH on Port 22 to try and get that working

Here's the main setting I have (Click image for bigger pic):

Screenshot_2017_08_03_21_41_51.png

and

Screenshot_2017_08_03_21_42_33.png

It just won't let me through - anybody got any ideas or will I have to call tech support tomorrow ?

(BTW : I can ssh from my laptop to that box internally so it is open and listening on that IP address)

Maybe the router needs 22 for its own purposes and can't forward? Try forwarding a different public port - say 2200 - to 22 private and then try to SSH to your public IP and port 2200.

Maybe the router needs 22 for its own purposes and can't forward? Try forwarding a different public port - say 2200 - to 22 private and then try to SSH to your public IP and port 2200.

Good point but still no joy :(

ssh myuser@xx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 2200
    ssh: connect to host xx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 2200: Connection refused

Do I need to reboot the router for changes to take effect ?? I don't think you have but I might try that also just to be sure

Actually - I see this on the system status page:

Screenshot_2017_08_03_23_20_57.png

Does "Firewall : Disable" mean the Firewall is disabled and thus the NAT and Virtual Server settings are disabled ??? That's where the NAT / Virtual Server settings are:

Screenshot_2017_08_03_23_23_34.png

If so - I can't see how to turn it on :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It was a while ago, and I'm not sure which router it was that caused this issue, but the fix on that occasion was to lower the security level by one notch, at the setting it was at, the incoming port requests (for a CCTV recorder) were being blocked and never got through the router to the device. It worked in house around the network with no hassles, just not externally.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Don't see any way to change security levels....Could have been a different router

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Could be different indeed, I know we had 2 different routers during out time with Imagine, I've moved to fibre now, so can't check it out any more.

You may have to push to get this escalated to a higher support level, which isn't always easy or quick, first level support at Imagine can be a bit scripted at times, which can make it hard to get the issue resolved.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Just talked to tech support and they said it has to be also set up on the external unit as well as the internal router - that explains why nothing is getting through.

They sent me a standard template they need filled in and I can email it back to them:
    In order to process your port forward request in a timely manner please fill out the below template in full and reply to this email with the updated information.

-Imagine account number:
    -Name:
    -Address:
    -What ports you would like to forward including:
    --protocol
    --IP address (which will be advised to you by our technical support on the initial call and needs to be statically assigned to your device)
    --Reason

Example:
    Port Protocol IP Address Reason
    88 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    3074 TCP&UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    53 TCP&UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    3544 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    4500 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX

Please note Port 80, 443 and 8080 are network reserved ports and cannot be opened.

We will contact you back via email with confirmation

Just talked to tech support and they said it has to be also set up on the external unit as well as the internal router - that explains why nothing is getting through.

Ah, double-NAT. Yuck.

Ah, double-NAT. Yuck.

Yep - but as long as it works I don't care :)

• Advertisement

So.
    They did all the port forwarding for me
    but...
    The changed the username / password I had set for the router (I had to tell them what I set it to)
    and
    They removed my DynDns settings - FFS
    What's the point of port forwarding if your IP address changes every time the router reboots.
    Unless the gave me a static IP address - I've sent back an email to them to ask, so we'll see.....

Advertisement