Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

TopTec wrote: »
    How does one get that information?

TT

I asked them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I asked them

Hmmmm. I treat any information from them with a pinch of salt. They have been advertising 'last few slots available' around here for the past few months. Discussing low speeds at peak with CS I am told there is plenty of capacity so contention can't be the cause.

I asked if some sectors on the local mast are more full than others but the CS chappie was completely stumped by the question.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They told me there was only a few slots left available for me when I was inquiring a few months ago. They must always tell everyone that there is only a few slots left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Probably some sectors more full but there's no unique set of users
    If you've an unhealthy proportion of heavy downloaders on yours,you're screwed
    If your fellow users locally are light enough ,happy days
    It's random

That's the limitation of the technology versus Fttc/ftth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The problem with it is self selection. As a premium product the "light" users will opt for DSL products and save money so you end up with a bandwidth constrained system populated with a busier than normal userbase.

• Advertisement

Except by light users I mean Netflix watchers who do sign up for the likes of Imagine when their only other choice is bad dsl or edge mobile
    Lots of them about,if you're lucky enough to have them on your sector

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Downloaded a 40Gb game after 1 am this morning. Finished in 1 hour 15 minutes. No throttling today so it seems they are allowing large downloads off peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Johnfred wrote: »
    Downloaded a 40Gb game after 1 am this morning. Finished in 1 hour 15 minutes. No throttling today so it seems they are allowing large downloads off peak.

What mast ?

km79 wrote: »
    What mast ?

Forth mtn I think he's on in South Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

km79 wrote: »
    What mast ?
    Forth Mountain, Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    "national FWA" - Has no licence near cities.

I don't think the likes of Imagine exist for cities (because they're served properly by fibre) ...

I know nothing about this,so in areas currently served are they planning on providing up to 200 Meg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Both this morning and Friday morning my speed has dropped to sh1te (1 or 2 meg) and I had to turn off and on the router to fix it and then it was fine.

I wasn't here for the weekend so I assume it was the same.

Anybody else seeing this ?

EDIT : Spoke too soon - gone to crap again - 1000ms ping and download test failing - unreal...Waiting on tech support to pick up now
    EDIT AGAIN : It's back while I was still on hold for CS...Hmm....Not good - we'll see how it goes - I'm working from home so I notice it very quickly if it goes bad.

BTW - For anyone calling support use 01-4375000 as opposed to paying for their 1890 support number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think the likes of Imagine exist for cities (because they're served properly by fibre) ...

I know nothing about this,so in areas currently served are they planning on providing up to 200 Meg?

doesn't matter if Imagine offer 50meg, 100meg, 200 meg or even 1000meg. The service will continue to offer the same limited bandwidth/contention issues along with a continuation of strict enforcement of daily caps as Imagine do today.

Imagine are currently only good as a temporary solution while areas wait for proper fixed line fibre from Eir and the NBP. Imagine wants nothing more than to continue to peddle this restrictive wireless tech to rural Ireland for years to come, long after 2020, a solution which is not of the best interests to rural Ireland.

Gonzo wrote: »
    doesn't matter if Imagine offer 50meg, 100meg, 200 meg or even 1000meg. The service will continue to offer the same limited bandwidth/contention issues along with a continuation of strict enforcement of daily caps as Imagine do today.

Imagine are currently only good as a temporary solution while areas wait for proper fixed line fibre from Eir and the NBP. Imagine wants nothing more than to continue to peddle this restrictive wireless tech to rural Ireland for years to come, long after 2020, a solution which is not of the best interests to rural Ireland.

Agreed
    However,I spoke to one of my neighbours recently and they have 4Mb dsl and think it's the bee's knee's

There's an awful lot of those ,meaning your view and my view of what's needed is only one part of the picture
    The likes of us posting on fora like this are not the average Joe
    I overheard a conversation in Tesco the other day,I actually continued eavesdropping with 3 mums talking about there being so much choice in broadband you wouldn't know who to go with...

So like if those people are happy,the stopgap for those of us with bigger tastes than 4Mb dsl will be glad of the Imagine stopgap for quite a while longer

I'm going to be 2 to 3 years before I see ftth here at my home
    Everything works well with imagine,a lot better than on my 4Mb dsl line so tbh I'm not going to bîtch about them and no disrespect , don't really think it helpful for anyone NOT a customer to do so

Imagine is what it is
    Anyone coming in here thinking of getting it will hear the good or bad from the users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Both this morning and Friday morning my speed has dropped to sh1te (1 or 2 meg) and I had to turn off and on the router to fix it and then it was fine.

EDIT : Spoke too soon - gone to crap again - 1000ms ping and download test failing - unreal...Waiting on tech support to pick up now
    EDIT AGAIN : It's back while I was still on hold for CS...Hmm....Not good - we'll see how it goes - I'm working from home so I notice it very quickly if it goes bad.

BTW - For anyone calling support use 01-4375000 as opposed to paying for their 1890 support number.

Good tip I will pass that in to someone I know with the service. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fuzzy

It looks like hte fair usage policy refers to 20Gb per day rather than 20GB (factor of 8 in the difference). Volumes of data are usually quoted in Bytes or GB. So this is a little misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

fuzzy wrote: »
    It looks like hte fair usage policy refers to 20Gb per day rather than 20GB (factor of 8 in the difference). Volumes of data are usually quoted in Bytes or GB. So this is a little misleading.

This is definitely not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Gonzo wrote: »

So what's the end plan? FTTH everywhere? I'm only back in the country a few months, my best option is Imagine even with the daily cap but if FTTH will be everywhere eventually what imagine is doing is an acceptable stopgap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So what's the end plan? FTTH everywhere? I'm only back in the country a few months, my best option is Imagine even with the daily cap but if FTTH will be everywhere eventually what imagine is doing is an acceptable stopgap

the end goal is FTTH to most places. Eir currently have a rural FTTH rollout programme to 300k homes, the remaining homes hopefully will all be FTTH once the NBP eventually gets going. Imagine were in the running for the NBP but were dropped because their product/plans are not fit for purpose as wireless tech is highly limited compared to a fixed line fibre solution.

Lets hope the government stick to their plan, award the NBP to the remaining FTTH providers with Imagine only left to provide a service while customers wait to be connected to real fibre. Thankfully the government saw sense and dropped Imagine from the NBP, because if Imagine were to get their hands on the NBP, it would be Three all over again with rural areas contstantly playing catchup and massive contention/slow speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm getting FTTH installed tomorrow. Just going for the 150MB package. I'm about 6km away from the exchange in Enfield. Real internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

highdef wrote: »
    I'm getting FTTH installed tomorrow. Just going for the 150MB package. I'm about 6km away from the exchange in Enfield. Real internet :D

Think of me on a barely 3Mb line.... I still wouldn't go for Imagine though even if it is supposedly faster.

Agreed
    However,I spoke to one of my neighbours recently and they have 4Mb dsl and think it's the bee's knee's

There's an awful lot of those ,meaning your view and my view of what's needed is only one part of the picture
    The likes of us posting on fora like this are not the average Joe
    I overheard a conversation in Tesco the other day,I actually continued eavesdropping with 3 mums talking about there being so much choice in broadband you wouldn't know who to go with...

So like if those people are happy,the stopgap for those of us with bigger tastes than 4Mb dsl will be glad of the Imagine stopgap for quite a while longer

I'm going to be 2 to 3 years before I see ftth here at my home
    Everything works well with imagine,a lot better than on my 4Mb dsl line so tbh I'm not going to bh about them and no disrespect , don't really think it helpful for anyone NOT a customer to do so

Imagine is what it is
    Anyone coming in here thinking of getting it will hear the good or bad from the users

I totally get where your coming from and you have had a great experience with Imagine, you are lucky to get great speeds from them all the time.

However even tho I'm not an Imagine customer and never will be, I still feel entitled to give out about them for several reasons.

1 - Their attitude to customers generally poor once they get the sale.
    2 - They are unprofessional, none of them can give a straight answer about the daily cap or night time usage.
    3 - They block customers from accessing some router settings.
    4 - Multiple annoying messages way before the 20 gig allowance is used up.
    5 - Sneaky articles in national papers trying to sway the general public that Imagine are the holy grail of fibre broadband in Ireland and that FTTH is a huge waste of time and money. They really want to remain the only provider outside of towns and cities and to continue peddling the wireless tech for years/decades to come.

6 - They abandoned their Wimax service after 6 years without informing customers leaving some customers with no service provider as they set up a new wireless service in different areas. Imagine could easily pull this one again in the not too distant future when they abandon their current LTE service for Imagines next WTTx product/service.

7 - Any negative feedback gets deleted on social media with customer complaints often going unanswered.

Having said that Eir etc are no angels either. Their use of 'unlimited' is not cool at all, especially when most of us consider unlimited really does mean unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Been suffering same since May 21st. Appalling customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

TopTec wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I treat any information from them with a pinch of salt.

TT

That's fair enough, I have no reason to doubt them thus far.

There was an area outage for a few hours yesterday. I told the support guy about the other random speed downs and he said it might have been due to the mast and to ring back if it happens again (after the fix that was done yesterday).

BTW - some people saying there were LEDs that indicate the strength of the signal on the outside box - I can only see one LED at the bottom of mine - doesn't look like there are more. Is this a newer outdoor box type ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

There was an area outage for a few hours yesterday. I told the support guy about the other random speed downs and he said it might have been due to the mast and to ring back if it happens again (after the fix that was done yesterday).

BTW - some people saying there were LEDs that indicate the strength of the signal on the outside box - I can only see one LED at the bottom of mine - doesn't look like there are more. Is this a newer outdoor box type ?

They seem to be, or have been, using equipment from different manufacturers. My router and outdoor unit are Gemtek branded and both have signal level LEDs. You obviously got a different unit.

They seem to be, or have been, using equipment from different manufacturers. My router and outdoor unit are Gemtek branded and both have signal level LEDs. You obviously got a different unit.
    OK - my indoor router is Greenpacket and I don't know what the outdoor unit is (Need to get the ladder out to take a look)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Can you pay to increase the daily download cap from 20GB?

Advertisement