Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Does anyone know are there plans to cover the Macroom area anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Robertr wrote: »
    Can you pay to increase the daily download cap from 20GB?

Not that I am aware of and it's doubtful. You technically are only slowed until midnight if you exceed your daily allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

So I just noticed that Vodafone seem to be doing a similar service now.

Red MBB Ultra - 50GB 4G data plan, speeds up to 150Mbps for €49.99 and you can add another 100GB per month for €10

Seems pretty good, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Can you pay to increase the daily download cap from 20GB?

There is a technical reason that the cap is there, there simply isn't enough bandwidth to allow unlimited downloading with a wireless technology. The network would grind to a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Red MBB Ultra - 50GB 4G data plan, speeds up to 150Mbps for €49.99 and you can add another 100GB per month for €10

Seems pretty good, no?

Where do you see the 100GB add on for 10 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Seems pretty good, no?

Eh, no.

That's 50GB per month. Imagine is 20GB per day (~600GB per month). If you're struggling with the daily cap on Imagine, then that Vodafone plan has no hope. Even with the additional 100GB, it's still a quarter of Imagine's allowance. Unless you can add multiple 100GB extensions?

Also, that's mobile broadband. For whatever limitations Imagine has, at least they're using proper FWA equipment and making some (albeit hamfisted) attempt to manage their spectrum.

Vodafone attempt the same thing by limiting data allowance to 50GB per month, but they have no way to control how many devices will be in a given cell at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Dero wrote: »
    Eh, no.

That's 50GB per month. Imagine is 20GB per day (~600GB per month). If you're struggling with the daily cap on Imagine, then that Vodafone plan has no hope.

Also, that's mobile broadband. For whatever limitations Imagine has, at least they're using proper FWA equipment and making some (albeit hamfisted) attempt to manage their spectrum.

Vodafone attempt the same thing by limiting data allowance to 50GB per month, but they have no way to control how many devices will be in a given cell at any given time.

I get the daily vs monthly but if you can add 100GB for €10.00 it might be an option for some. Wold be very interested if you can add multiple.

I only break the daily limit about once a month when I download a game/updates for the Xbox.

On the speed point, I'm not sure either as I can always get a faster speedtest on my 4g Phone in my house then on my imagine line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Also with that Vodafone 4G not may houses in the country will pick up a 4G signal. My house is one of them. I can't even receive 3G or H+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dero wrote: »
    Eh, no.

That's 50GB per month. Imagine is 20GB per day (~600GB per month). If you're struggling with the daily cap on Imagine, then that Vodafone plan has no hope. Even with the additional 100GB, it's still a quarter of Imagine's allowance. Unless you can add multiple 100GB extensions?

Don't quite agree here.

Yes, Imagines kit is fixed allowing UEs 15km away but other than that is just a rather limited TDD network. What it gains from the antenna it loses from the user base/load.

Vodafones cells can have less UEs, lower limits and 50% more bandwidth before double stacking band allocations. If you want less data but faster it CAN be quite appealing in the right locality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah that's working real well in the evenings with three now
    I can only imagine the unbridled joy of voda customers experiencing 1 Mb speeds again like the good old days when this becomes commonplace

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Yeah that's working real well in the evenings with three now
    I can only imagine the unbridled joy of voda customers experiencing 1 Mb speeds again like the good old days when this becomes commonplace

Exactly. The day Vodafone starts giving away bandwidth willy nilly will be a sad day. A friend of mine is on Tesco Mobile, I'm on Vodafone business and sometimes I actually have to hotspot my phone to her's so she can use data. This is in various city locations.

Dear Vodafone, don't become Three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

So install went well and while we haven't moved in and started using the service properly yet I have been at the house on numerous occasions in the last week and have just used the speed test app on my iPhone in various parts of the house and also a separate granny flat building on the property and the average download speed is 45mb and the average upload speed is 7mb based off measurements at different times of the day over a number of days. The download cap issue remains to be seen! I never went over 200gb per month with virgin media which averages out at less than 7gb per day! Will report back once we get moved in properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

For anyone interested I got a router and flashed it with Gargoyle:
    https://www.gargoyle-router.com/

It's brilliant as I can see all my usage for all devices

Almost a year since I connected and still going well
    A year closer to Ftth ,which is probably still 2 years away from me being on the state aided list
    If this keeps up,There'll be no complaints from me for year two
    Barrackcroghan mast in North Wexford

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2225055138

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Nice. How far are you from the mast?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Nice. How far are you from the mast?

About 6 km's ,I can see it
    At least half its rural area has ftth now so that's helping
    But on my road roughly 3 km's in the middle of the road is left inexplicably to the national scheme
    The road is about 12kms and there's 8 done on one end and about 1 km from a different cabinet at the other
    Me and several houses in the middle section ignored :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

About 6 km's ,I can see it
    At least half its rural area has ftth now so that's helping
    But on my road roughly 3 km's in the middle of the road is left inexplicably to the national scheme
    The road is about 12kms and there's 8 done on one end and about 1 km from a different cabinet at the other
    Me and several houses in the middle section ignored :/

That's like me with FTTH. A minute drive one way down the road will get ftth from one cabinet and one minute drive down the other way are getting ftth from another cabinet while I'm stuck in the middle in no mans land.

I'm just hoping I receive faster speeds when they all get fibre since the line will be upgraded. As at the minute I am lucky to get 3Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dickieh

Any one on the Imagine LTE Abbeyknockmoy mast getting poor speeds most evenings not getting above 10Mbps on a wired line.. after 12 it speeds right back up to 30. 40.. are we being throttled. Iam know more than two miles from the mast and I can see it. perfect line of sight...

My speeds are all over the place at different times of the day.. why would this be..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

Happens to me all the time called Imagine so many times about this and get the same BS story all the time. Getting the Fibre here in 8 months hopefully then bye bye Imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Happens to me all the time called Imagine so many times about this and get the same BS story all the time. Getting the Fibre here in 8 months hopefully then bye bye Imagine

I hear ya.....as soon as any solution comes to us in rural-land, Imagine are dead.
    Not surprising that they would badmouth anything new but after joining them last year, I cannot wait to get any solution that doesn't turn shyte as soon as the peak quarter of the day arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

also notice the throttling off speeds with these guys... they are clearly overloading the masts with too many connections - typical paddy whackery... roll on FTTH

Check out this http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ to see when you can get FTTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Check out this http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ to see when you can get FTTH

Anyone know where I can get an ETA after getting this on my address?

"Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."

smokingman wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get an ETA after getting this on my address?

"Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."

The NBP tender process is ongoing. You're looking at late 2018 for general forecasts all going well.

I click on the Subscribe button and got email about 2 days later tell me that we will be getting the FTTH on MAY 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am having a bit of a saga with Imagine at the moment.

About 3 months ago I ordered and the engineers came out to install. They said that they were unable to install as the sector that they were picking up had not been released yet. They refunded my 100 quid and that was that.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I call them again to see if the sector was available. Sales guy checks and comes back to me. Said that the engineer had actually made a mistake on the day and that I could have been installed. Asks if I want to sign up again (He said the sector was full but they would add me due to the mistake previously - So folks it looks like they do actually put more than 200 on each sector). Did not have to give them any installation fee either.

Got the email confirmation but after over a week heard nothing back from installations. Called them first thing Friday morning. Agent said that she had to check something and would call me back in 3 mins. 8 Hours later and no call back so I rang them again. New agent says that she would have to check something and would call me back before the finished up that day. Surprise surprise, no call back. Still waiting on a call, nothing today.

Not looking good folks. If a companies customer service is this bad - BEFORE you give them any money, what are they like when they have you stuck in an 18 month contract.

Maybe its a blessing in disguise. Poxy thing is that I am in the sticks and broadband is non-existent. (1meg eircom line). Using 3 mobile broadband at the moment (PAYG).

I did get a mail from APTUS coincidentaly in the past few days. Apparently they are covering the house now ? Cant seem to find any recent reviews of them though.

ld4rQGh.png

They're pretty small as ISPs go so feedback online will probably be miniscule and not really statistically significant. If you want something useful I'd look for a dish pointing to the right site among your neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am pretty close to Kildare town on that map. So might be sh1t out of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Have not used Aptus but know someone who does and they said it is very good. It is not unlimited but you can get 500gb per month for €50. I know Imagine is 600gb per month but it is €60 and from reading here it is not a good service. I am thinking ot getting Aptus myslef.

Advertisement