Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

5 months in and still getting over 90Mbps and if bad around 67Mbps.
    Upload around 8Mbps.
    North east Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Have not used Aptus but know someone who does and they said it is very good. It is not unlimited but you can get 500gb per month for €50. I know Imagine is 600gb per month but it is €60 and from reading here it is not a good service. I am thinking ot getting Aptus myslef.

You do know that people with issues will complain(same with any ISP), it's rare those that are happy will post here :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

No internet since yesterday afternoon
    Text received at 504pm saying there was a minor fault which would be rectified quickly
    Next text was 823am saying it's a 3rd party fault and 3rd party engineers are working on it

I'd be inclined to believe it as I also had no 3 phone coverage all night !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

SamKnows monthly report;

fE3c7zA.png

Yg2evMj.png

xHps2JI.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

d31b0y wrote: »
    xHps2JI.png

That says everything anyone needs to know about that product. And you're on a quiet site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

ED E wrote: »
    That says everything anyone needs to know about that product. And you're on a quiet site.

Aye that at its worst there it's 10 times faster than any alternative available to those that use it in that area
    Frankly criicising them for that is pointless
    The sample size aswell of complaints here on boards out of 16000 homes is way too tiny,like countable on two hands
    Same as other isp's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Tzardine wrote: »
    I did get a mail from APTUS coincidentaly in the past few days. Apparently they are covering the house now ? Cant seem to find any recent reviews of them though.

Nearly 2 years with Aptus and I’ve nothing but good things to report to be honest. At the beginning there were some teething issues but they fixed the problem and ever since my speed has been consistent. I think there was one weekend in 2 years my connection was down.

I mean, I guess it must be highlighted that the fastest speed they offer at the moment is 30mbps but I game online, my son watches youtube and the missues streams the Netflix all together and I’ve never had an issue. The other issue is I’m playing €55 a month for 30mb but hey, I will never get fibre so I’m actually happy to pay that for something that works.

Let me know if you’d like any other questions answered.

Aye that at its worst there it's 10 times faster than any alternative available to those that use it in that area
    Frankly criicising them for that is pointless
    The sample size aswell of complaints here on boards out of 16000 homes is way too tiny,like countable on two hands
    Same as other isp's

Exactly. I can live with just under 20Mb compared to the 3Mb I was getting with Eir / Vodafone. I would suspect that most DSL providers suffer from the same traffic shape.
    It's also worth noting that I stream everything. I do not have TV channels coming into the house and the hours between 8 and 11 pm approximately would be my heaviest usage times which would skew (slightly) the graph.
    I have never had any issues with streaming to 2 devices at 720p at any time.

This is coming on top of the availability of FTTH to me. Unfortunately, I need to lay ducting for about 200m before install will go ahead. Depending on price, that will go on the very long finger and I will stick with Imagine for now and continue to be very content with the speeds I have been getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Just got my first Bill from imagine.......I think.

They've attached it as a .zip file and it is from a different domain name @imaginegroup.ie instead of all previous correspondence which has been from @imagine.ie

Is this normal?

Zagato wrote: »

They've attached it as a .zip file and it is from a different domain name @imaginegroup.ie instead of all previous correspondence which has been from @imagine.ie

Is this normal?

Yes
    Cam never open on iPhone

• Advertisement

Exactly. I can live with just under 20Mb compared to the 3Mb I was getting with Eir / Vodafone.

Don't expect that to last. The underlying tech isn't some magic that Imagine have whipped up in their garage.

Don't expect that to last. The underlying tech isn't some magic that Imagine have whipped up in their garage.

With all due respect I don't need it to last ad infinitum,just another year or two
    It's at least 10 times better than our old dsl line for over a year now so what's not to like about that?
    For practically everyone it's a very good stopgap
    There are far more important things to worry about...

I don't see why it shouldn't last.
    I really don't understand what you are trying to convey in your second line.
    Over loaded mast, sure, you will get contention but I am now in a FTTH enabled area so I suspect uptake of Imagine LTE will be low. What other factors should I be worried about for the service 'not lasting' - other than Imagine pulling the service entirely.

I'm fully aware of Imagine's shenanigans in trying to push the NBP towards their service with all the press releases etc. That's not the conversation I am trying to have. I also don't think it's a long term solution but it's a very good stop gap for those in need.
    The scaremongering that goes on from some people, and I don't mean you ED E, is frankly ridiculous.
    They have a 14 day cooling off period and it only costs €100 to break contract after that if something better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

km79 wrote: »
    No internet since yesterday afternoon
    Text received at 504pm saying there was a minor fault which would be rectified quickly
    Next text was 823am saying it's a 3rd party fault and 3rd party engineers are working on it

I'd be inclined to believe it as I also had no 3 phone coverage all night !

Sounds like Eir NGA fibre outage affecting backhaul to the area for multiple providers.

Zagato wrote: »

Is this normal?

Please tell me they are not sending out invoices as .zip files?!

I don't see why it shouldn't last.
    I really don't understand what you are trying to convey in your second line.
    Over loaded mast, sure, you will get contention but I am now in a FTTH enabled area so I suspect uptake of Imagine LTE will be low. What other factors should I be worried about for the service 'not lasting' - other than Imagine pulling the service entirely.

I'm fully aware of Imagine's shenanigans in trying to push the NBP towards their service with all the press releases etc. That's not the conversation I am trying to have. I also don't think it's a long term solution but it's a very good stop gap for those in need.
    The scaremongering that goes on from some people, and I don't mean you ED E, is frankly ridiculous.
    They have a 14 day cooling off period and it only costs €100 to break contract after that if something better comes along.

Great if it's working out for you and long may it last. I think what Ed is getting at is that it is:

- a shared medium
    - 100Mbps shared per sector (might be possibility of getting that higher with technology refresh, but not much, maybe 200Mbps)

So that's 100Mbps shared between an estimated 133 subscribers (400 per site, 3 sectors per site). So to quote the chief engineer in James' Cameron's "Titanic"... "Oh, she will go down, Captain, tis a mathematical certainty".

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Please tell me they are not sending out invoices as .zip files?!

Yes
    And post

km79 wrote: »
    Yes
    And post

Ugh. Emailing .zip files is a big no-no. Firstly, it's likely to be filtered/blocked. Secondly, it "normalises" receipt of .zip files with users, meaning they are more likely to open something nasty.

Bad Imagine! Although maybe it does let them save some of that precious shared bandwidth! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nothing wrong with a zip file just open it and don't click on a .exe

There's surely more than a 100Mb available per sector
    For a start,a year ago I was getting up to 110 and still often get 80 or 90 when nothings running
    70 is common even in the evening when nothings running
    My sector isn't that quiet
    Plenty neighbours have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Are you far from the mast?

About 7km's ,I can see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ah, that explains it.
    I'm about 17km and getting max 45meg

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Ah, that explains it.
    I'm about 17km and getting max 45meg

You're at the very outer radius, probably have a perfectly clear LOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Ugh. Emailing .zip files is a big no-no. Firstly, it's likely to be filtered/blocked. Secondly, it "normalises" receipt of .zip files with users, meaning they are more likely to open something nasty.

Bad Imagine! Although maybe it does let them save some of that precious shared bandwidth! ðŸ˜

This is the same shower that told people to turn off automatic updates to save on their data caps! :eek::eek::eek:

Sending zip files doesn't surprise me one bit! :rolleyes:
    Nothing wrong with a zip file just open it and don't click on a .exe

LOL :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

invoices sent as .zip files. Doesn't get any more amateur than this really.

I get invoices that are zipped from corporate entities here in work. I will withhold names to hide their shame. It's more common than you think. Really terrible practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

according to their FB page imagine state 400 users to a base station.  contention wise thats not great on a 1Gig connection - I am assuming that is prob the max they can manage.  This would explain the low speeds people are getting.

650 pm in the evening,barrackcroghan mast,contention,what contention?

Tested on my iPhone 6s on the 5 G wifi
    Happy out with this

There's no denying some have reason to complain,but no complaints here
    The sample size on boards is too tiny out of 16k subs though

• Advertisement

Possedion wrote: »
    according to their FB page imagine state 400 users to a base station.  contention wise thats not great on a 1Gig connection - I am assuming that is prob the max they can manage.  This would explain the low speeds people are getting.

A lot of the sites are backhaul with these: http://aviatnetworks.com/products/microwave-switches/eclipse-carrier-ethernet-microwave-platform/

366-454 Mbps

Advertisement