Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Goreme wrote: »
    You have to stick with the router Imagine give you, right? The router that the external ariel/antenna comes into, that is. You can't just take that out and replace it with another shop bought one, into which you would attach the lead from the exterior Imagine ariel/antenna?

Yep - I basically have their router going to my own that is running Gargoyle. Using Gargoyle I can fully monitor my bandwidth usage and all devices connected etc.

If you want port forwarding you have to ask them to help though.
    So the advantage there is you can tell how many total GBs have been used so far at any point in the day, and how close you are coming up against the daily limit of 20GB for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Goreme wrote: »
    So the advantage there is you can tell how many total GBs have been used so far at any point in the day, and how close you are coming up against the daily limit of 20GB for example?
    Yep - that's the main reason.
    It's also really easy to see where all your bandwidth is being used.
    You can also set up a guest WiFi and Limit the bandwidth to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ollie247

Yep - that's the main reason.
    It's also really easy to see where all your bandwidth is being used.
    You can also set up a guest WiFi and Limit the bandwidth to it..

Does the router they supply not have an admin page with a network statistics panel?

Even the basic TP-Link I have has such a page - shows Bytes total per device, though it does not break up the Volume up / down, just total, but its something at least.
    What is the router brand supplied? I assume it has wifi etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Various routers are used wth 2.5 and 5G wifi
    The 5G is the fastest but only more recent equipment will connect to it

No access is given to their router,they claim this is to protect the security of the telephone settings
    Some posters here have got access either by asking the installers nicely or by the fact the installer left the details in the packaging

ollie247 wrote: »
    Does the router they supply not have an admin page with a network statistics panel?

Even the basic TP-Link I have has such a page - shows Bytes total per device, though it does not break up the Volume up / down, just total, but its something at least.
    What is the router brand supplied? I assume it has wifi etc?
    No - no network stats panel.
    They don't even give you the user/pass to access the router and don't let you into the router at all (not that hard to figure out the password though)

It's a Greenpacket WN-600 that I got (not sure if everyone is the same).
    It has WiFi etc... There is no way to use Mac addresses to give specific IPs to Specific devices (handy for port forwarding).
    That's why I put the router with Gargoyle firmware in - it sits between my devices and Imagine's and I can use it's WiFi and allocated IPs etc as I see fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Anyone here PC gaming and find that pings are 80+ms, despite a speedtest to somewhere like digiweb saying 20ms?
    Have this problem for 2 months now and I am demented. Can't game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

NakQuada wrote: »
    Anyone here PC gaming and find that pings are 80+ms, despite a speedtest to somewhere like digiweb saying 20ms?

Out of interest, can you post a traceroute to a game server? If it's too much hassle tis grand but you could see where the latency is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

My ping while gaming tends to be about 30-50ms though in Overwatch I get spikes to over 300ms every hour or two that last about 10 seconds. You are probably better off doing a speedtest to the UK or even Germany to get a better test of what your ping will be. I get 20ms too to digiweb and 32ms to Vodafone in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I gave up gaming with imagine.
    Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It's a Greenpacket WN-600 that I got (not sure if everyone is the same).
    It has WiFi etc... There is no way to use Mac addresses to give specific IPs to Specific devices (handy for port forwarding).
    Have you tried to cut off WN-600 altogether ?
    Seems to me , you only need stand along PoE injector in order to run Green packet outdoor modem.

• Advertisement

Getting the following tonight if I try to connect to any website other than rte :rolleyes:

Speedtest still works suggesting no slowdown ,speeds in the 60's ,connecting me to the following attached message at fibre speed I suppose :rolleyes:

Luckily I've 4G to post this

Nothing else works on wifi,meaning an effective 15gig limit unless you want to read rte news
    Quite the North Korea approach to bandwidth control
    Started happening in the middle of a tv series episode when everything stopped and an error came up
    I'll call them tomorrow to register a protest as I'm hardly going to view 3 or 4 gigs of 1080 in the half hour between 1130 and midnight...
    anyhow I s'pose it's a sign it's bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

I've honestly never had an issue with when I got the 15GB warning pop-ups, I acknowledged it and it went away and I carried on as normal. I haven't had a cap warning since the first week or so though and (don't tell anyone :P) I don't think we are being capped at all at the moment because we've gone over it multiple times (not by much though to be fair) and had no throttling. I consider us lucky at the moment. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That is stupid they should really only inform you at 19GB's or even when you hit 20. Pointless giving you a warning at 15 and then the service is unusable.

Getting the following tonight if I try to connect to any website other than rte :rolleyes:

Speedtest still works suggesting no slowdown ,speeds in the 60's ,connecting me to the following attached message at fibre speed I suppose :rolleyes:

Luckily I've 4G to post this

Nothing else works on wifi,meaning an effective 15gig limit unless you want to read rte news
    Quite the North Korea approach to bandwidth control
    Started happening in the middle of a tv series episode when everything stopped and an error came up
    I'll call them tomorrow to register a protest as I'm hardly going to view 3 or 4 gigs of 1080 in the half hour between 1130 and midnight...
    anyhow I s'pose it's a sign it's bedtime
    Try clicking the button on a laptop browser. I found once before that clicking it on a mobile browser didn't seem to work to clear the warning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I actually had the exact same issue last night. Some websites still load, others redirect to the 15GB warning.
    Then I grew a brain and scrolled down and acknowledged the message. In my defence, it was 11PM and I was up very early that morning.
    It's not obvious that there is acknowledgement required when browsing on a mobile browser. I wonder if that has caught others out in the past.

I didn't see any option to click out of it on my phone
    Interesting how Netflix stopped when it happened
    This is only the second time in over a year that I've apparently used more than 15 gigs
    Last time I got an email
    This time no email just this

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got a weird one yesterday.

Woke up Sunday morning around 8:30am and picked up my phone.. browsed to a page and saw the 15Gb warning message..

I assumed that it was a hangover from the previous evening having gone to bed as 11:30 or so..so just clicked and moved on

However , 45 minutes later I get the 20Gb limit alert and I was throttled for the day at barely 9:15am!!

No idea how/what/where the data usage came from.

Whole house was asleep , the most likely suspects - An XBox and a NAS Server were both powered off. I checked all the other devices , no one had received a major OS update , no one had left a TV or PC streaming Netflix all night or anything..

Contacted Imagine who weren't a lot of help - They ran though the list of devices connected to the router , which I'd already done as I'm one of the lucky ones with the login details..

Apparently Imagine might be able to tell me today when the data usage started etc - Probably from some daily stats collected over night , so I'll call them this morning to see what they have to say.

As an aside the rep I spoke to also said that they would be launching a website where you could check your usage in real-time in the next few weeks.. If true that will be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Woke up Sunday morning around 8:30am and picked up my phone.. browsed to a page and saw the 15Gb warning message..

I assumed that it was a hangover from the previous evening having gone to bed as 11:30 or so..so just clicked and moved on

However , 45 minutes later I get the 20Gb limit alert and I was throttled for the day at barely 9:15am!!

Whole house was asleep , the most likely suspects - An XBox and a NAS Server were both powered off. I checked all the other devices , no one had received a major OS update , no one had left a TV or PC streaming Netflix all night or anything..

Contacted Imagine who weren't a lot of help - They ran though the list of devices connected to the router , which I'd already done as I'm one of the lucky ones with the login details..

Apparently Imagine might be able to tell me today when the data usage started etc - Probably from some daily stats collected over night , so I'll call them this morning to see what they have to say.

As an aside the rep I spoke to also said that they would be launching a website where you could check your usage in real-time in the next few weeks.. If true that will be useful.

The same website for checking usage that they said would be available months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

The same website for checking usage that they said would be available months ago.

I didn't ring them,hadn't time
    But I did a speedtest on the pc just there now

Look at the ping :D

• Advertisement

Been away for a week, but discovered something very interesting before I left.
    My Mac is causing a LOT of the speed issues I was seeing (Yes - I know that sounds wrong).

Basically when my speed got very slow I was getting pings of over 1000ms
    I have my house wired with Cat6 and it's going through an old Cisco Catylst 2900 xl switch.
    If I connected to a small linux box / NAS Drive I have that wired directly to the Imagine router, and do a ping test and leave it running and then plug out the Cisco switch, the ping immediately drops to about 35ms. I did this a few times to be sure.

When I was sure of this I then started to plug out network ports one by one to determine if it was the actual switch that had the problem or a device connected to it.
    Turns out it was my Mac Book Pro (Work Laptop)
    If I unplug that the network connection while doing the ping test it immediately fixes the issue.
    Very weird.

The issue only happens sometimes, and every time it does unplugging the Mac network connection fixes it...

I'm now testing the WiFi on Mac to see if it does the same thing.
    If so - it's a Mac issue. If not - It may be a combination of the Mac traffic and my old switch.

Anyhow - up to now sure this was an Imagine Issue - turns out it's something to do with my setup.

Also - while I was away I ssh'd into my linux box and did ping tests at random times and they were always fine (Mac was at home turned off).

I'll do a bit more digging today (I've installed Little Snitch on my mac to see if it's traffic form a particular application.

BTW - Any ideas / suggestion would be greatly appreciated !

So it turns it out it was crashplan running in the background - it's set to backup the whole laptop and it was killing the ping rates while uploading stuff.
    I've set it to run only the days that I'm in the office.

Connection and ping rate has been solid since.

So I was incorrectly blaming Imagine and it was my problem. Might be worth other people checking for stuff like this also as I was pretty quick to point the finger at Imagine at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Having had a problem, similar to your one, I thought I'd add to it.

I'm a customer for over a year since the service went live here and I've had my ups and downs with the service but I've been happy most of the time.

Anyway, I started getting the warning and it was random on days when I hadn't used it. I was being throttled and they couldn't see what was causing it as on their system, as they said I had never, in my time as a customer, used over 1gb :o which is untrue as I would regularly use my daily allowance on updates and weekends.

Being honest with them, I told them that I would monitor my usage and it turned out that they still could not see my traffic.

After weeks of calls and random warning emails on days and weeks that I didn't do anything like my daily allowance, it turned out that, according to them, my account was...... Without them directly stating it......... Shared with another customer by accidentally having the IP assigned incorrectly between the two customers.

While they were quite vague about it, the resolution was that they told me that I now had a correctly assigned IP address and it has fixed the problem that I have had for months.

Just in case anyone else is experiencing this, my previous posts outline the symptoms but it's fixed and that's the issue, human error :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Got a text from Imagine's 'LTE Network Optimisation Team' saying they have identified a minor fault which may cause minor disruption!
    Service is down for last two hours for me.

Working from home with my backup meteor router hanging out the window to get some connection!

On the Cappagh mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

I just wanted to chime in with my opinion as a new customer. Despite being just a couple of hundred metres off the M1 motorway and painfully close to a fibre connection my only option was Imagine.
    Regularly getting average speeds in and around 50mb down and 8-10 up with a low ping.
    Contacted support to get a static IP address and open some ports for my CCTV and was no problem whatsoever to get that sorted fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I have to say that the 20gb daily cap is absolutely awful. We have three heavy internet users in our house and we use a lot of Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, PS4 and Steam/Origin on PC. Its takes days if not weeks to download games as many of them are 50 to 70gigs. Also sometimes my Quake and PUBG pings are huge and it makes it a nightmare to play online. I'd much prefer if there was a monthly or weekly cap at least that would solve my download issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ThrAx wrote: »
    I have to say that the 20gb daily cap is absolutely awful. We have three heavy internet users in our house and we use a lot of Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, PS4 and Steam/Origin on PC. Its takes days if not weeks to download games as many of them are 50 to 70gigs. Also sometimes my Quake and PUBG pings are huge and it makes it a nightmare to play online. I'd much prefer if there was a monthly or weekly cap at least that would solve my download issues.

Can you get a dsl connection?

I am on a 3-3.5Mb line and yes games takes ages to download but I just leave the computer left on overnight(New games take a few nights) but overall I can download as much as I want without any caps which is one of the reasons I never switched to Imagine. I was thinking about having two connections(dsl and Imagine) as there are a few users in the house and I cannot play online games while they are online but I soon came to my senses.

No i'm stuck with Imagine unfortunately. It would be great if we didn't have such a crappy cap at least.

ThrAx wrote: »

You should adjust the quality setting of Netflix for a start.
    I have it at the lowest setting for the kids and they don't notice.
    You can do this by going to the main profile and going to the settings and the playback options.
    Then copy the URL from the address bar and switch to another profile and paste back in the playback settings URL and you can modify them just for that user.

Also - set the option to play the next episode automatically to off - the kids seem to leave NetFlix playing and this at least will stop at the end of the current episode.

Same for YouTube - the you tube options can also stop autoplay of the next suggested video and you can also set the quality settings which will make a good difference.

That at least would be a starting point..

Thanks deadl0ck although I'm aware of those options. Its just that were an internet heavy household and still have too many days when the net cap is reached or its just too slow. Did a speed test tonight and it had dropped to 0.06mbps. Haven't reached daily cap yet either and only myself using it. Other days i get 45 to 50mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf the caps are terrible even 5 or 10 gb extra would normalize the service.

Advertisement