Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ThrAx wrote: »
    Thanks deadl0ck although I'm aware of those options. Its just that were an internet heavy household and still have too many days when the net cap is reached or its just too slow. Did a speed test tonight and it had dropped to 0.06mbps. Haven't reached daily cap yet either and only myself using it. Other days i get 45 to 50mbps.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast with a wireless service, if they increase the caps then the service gets even slower. The bandwidth has a hard limit and the product just isn't suited to internet heavy households such as yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

ThrAx wrote: »
    Thanks deadl0ck although I'm aware of those options. Its just that were an internet heavy household and still have too many days when the net cap is reached or its just too slow. Did a speed test tonight and it had dropped to 0.06mbps. Haven't reached daily cap yet either and only myself using it. Other days i get 45 to 50mbps.

Any chance there are big uploads causing the slowdown ? This was my case when I though it was actually Imagine (see the thread here).

Also - you could go the route I did and install a router in the middle with Gargoyle firmware on it and try and figure out where the most usage is happening and try and control it that way. (I also have Gargoyle set up to email me the data usage at 7.30am, 3pm and 8pm so I can keep an eye on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 realraven

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Has anybody found out the username and password for this box. Want to change the SSID and the password on our newly installed broadband
    Same here. Unusal that they don't allow configuration - I would like to issue fixed IP addresses for all PCs and my printer on the LAN so I can RDC without the pain.

Try either admin/admin or user/user

You can't issue fixed IP addresses - I wanted to do this based on the MAC of each device and couldn't. I had to set each device to static IP and put the details in each device manually

I was able to get rid of that then when I put the Gargoyle router between the Imagine router and my devices

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

realraven wrote: »
    Same here. Unusal that they don't allow configuration - I would like to issue fixed IP addresses for all PCs and my printer on the LAN so I can RDC without the pain.

What router is it? Imagine provide a few and I have the default login for one of them. Not at home right now but I'll double check the serial number when I get back and see if it's the same as yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Try either admin/admin or user/user

My Gemtek router had difficult to guess pass , including lowercase /capital ,numbers etc.

Other option is to do a factory reset and get the required setting from someone here if they have the same router as you have.
    (Mine's a Greenpacket WN-600)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Factory reset will wipe VoIp account ( phone setting).

alec76 wrote: »
    Factory reset will wipe VoIp account ( phone setting).

Bugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone serving off the Woodcock hill site in Limerick ? I'm out the Clarina side of the city, considering signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

dashoonage wrote: »
    Anyone serving off the Woodcock hill site in Limerick ? I'm out the Clarina side of the city, considering signing up.

Im on that mast and out that side also and its a very intermittent service speed wise although its a reliable service in its delivery (you wont lose connection).

I used to get great speeds a year ago and they would have averaged 45mb+ down but for the past 6 months you are looking at around 12-15 average in the evening and weekends but hitting 20'ish sporadically for minutes here and there.

You might see good speeds of up to 20-30+ in the very early hours of the morning but by and large, its no where near as fast as it was 15 months ago and that can only be due to the level of users now on that mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sille09

Hi, I'm living in rural Mayo & currently with eir. For the last 3/4months out internet speed has dropped to 1 or less than one. It has just been cutting in and out every 20mins or so for last month and at one point had none at all for 2days. They just keep telling us the distance from the exchange is the problem even though we've been here for 3years & Int's only last 6months problems have been. I was wondering about imagine, spoke to an engineer & they told us we are eligible but was wondering about other people's experiences before I sign up! Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sille09 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm living in rural Mayo & currently with eir. For the last 3/4months out internet speed has dropped to 1 or less than one. It has just been cutting in and out every 20mins or so for last month and at one point had none at all for 2days. They just keep telling us the distance from the exchange is the problem even though we've been here for 3years & Int's only last 6months problems have been. I was wondering about imagine, spoke to an engineer & they told us we are eligible but was wondering about other people's experiences before I sign up! Thanks...

Are there any signs advertising Imagine on any local roads around you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It is most likely going to be a significant improvement over your current connection. I went from a 3Mb/3Mb product to LTE and I would not go back. It might be worth getting your phone transferred to them cutting out your eir line rental altogether, although I can't comment on the reliability of the phone service as I don't use it.

Also Sille09 just check to see if a fibre service will be coming to your area in the near future. Put your Eircode into the following two pages and post the results:

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check 300K)

Yeah there were a few months ago & an imagine engineer was passing the house so I stopped him spoke to him the other day. He said we have a direct line to the mast. I'm paying the same with eir & we're not extremely tech orientated or gamers... I just want reliable internet that I can do a bit of work in the eves, small files etc... would you recommend?

Also Sille09 just check to see if a fibre service will be coming to your area in the near future. Put your Eircode into the following two pages and post the results:

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check 300K)

So we're amber & outside commercial area when I checked so undoubtedly it's not coming anytime soon....

It is most likely going to be a significant improvement over your current connection. I went from a 3Mb/3Mb product to LTE and I would not go back. It might be worth getting your phone transferred to them cutting out your eir line rental altogether, although I can't comment on the reliability of the phone service as I don't use it.

We never use the house phone anyway so that won't be a problem...

Yeah there were a few months ago & an imagine engineer was passing the house so I stopped him spoke to him the other day. He said we have a direct line to the mast. I'm paying the same with eir & we're not extremely tech orientated or gamers... I just want reliable internet that I can do a bit of work in the eves, small files etc... would you recommend?

The one big advantage wit Imagine is the 12-month contract. The one big disadvantage is that you are capped at 20gb a day.

I have a few friends who have it since early this year. No complaints yet, even though there are teenagers in all the houses. Yes, I would recommend them, with a view to getting rigged up to one of the big boys in the medium term. Bur, as Nani has posted, the difference between what you have now and 10,20,40mbps is absolutely huge. You have little to lose by applying to Imagine. When the Installer arrives, the first thing he/she does is do a speedtest of the signal. If that's below 30mbps, they will not connect you.

So we're amber & outside commercial area when I checked so undoubtedly it's not coming anytime soon....

I'd go with them so. 18 month contract I believe but you'll most likely be waiting longer than that for proper fibre broadband. Cancel the eir line if you don't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sean04

Im with imagine they dont email u on time when u go over data an when u do i have no internet even when they tell u should have 1mb

Sean04 wrote: »
    Im with imagine they dont email u on time when u go over data an when u do i have no internet even when they tell u should have 1mb

Thats a nice bit of negative opinion. How is it for speed at peak times? Who were you with before you got them? And why did you change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Thats a nice bit of negative opinion. How is it for speed at peak times? Who were you with before you got them? And why did you change?

Why does he have to provide all of your questions with answers? Sure its a new account and possibly dodgy, but Im not using a new account and Im now having to sit and wait to pass midnight before I can continue to download Fifa 18, because its 31GB and I can only download 20GB in a day before they restrict me so much thats its useless.

They have stopped allowing more data to be used at any time after midnight, like they used to. Its a strictly enforced cap at 20GB. They even stop your internet entirely when you hit 15GB and it wont start again until you click "I understand" on the warning page about the 15GB limit having been broached.

Its awful if you use any reasonable amount of data. Im the only one in this house that has access, I dont give anyone the password for the wireless and Im connected by ethernet and every day I struggle with data caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I had some awful experiences with imagine and their customer services a few years back. When they first install the product things will work well until the cooling off period has expired and then your on your own.

Stay well away guys. Its a poor service prpvoded by an unethical company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why does he have to provide all of your questions with answers? Sure its a new account and possibly dodgy, but Im not using a new account and Im now having to sit and wait to pass midnight before I can continue to download Fifa 18, because its 31GB and I can only download 20GB in a day before they restrict me so much thats its useless.

They have stopped allowing more data to be used at any time after midnight, like they used to. Its a strictly enforced cap at 20GB. They even stop your internet entirely when you hit 15GB and it wont start again until you click "I understand" on the warning page about the 15GB limit having been broached.

Its awful if you use any reasonable amount of data. Im the only one in this house that has access, I dont give anyone the password for the wireless and Im connected by ethernet and every day I struggle with data caps.

Is really location Dublin? I assumed all of Dublin have great high speed internet.

But you knew the limit before you started the download. Use a manager to stagger the download over a few days. I know it is annoying but for those without other options it provides a lifeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sean04

Was with vodafone was gettin 2.5 on good days takes a hour to download 1gb on ps4 but was unlimited. I get up to 25 on imagine on good days but hav to watch what im lookin at an downloadin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Tried to talk to Westnet ? They cover Mayo with wireless and offer fttc and ftth, where available. Especially if you don't use the house phone anyway.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Basically with Imagine you have to have 3 All You Can Eat Data as a backup. I have to tether frequently due to Imagine. Its better than having no alternative and its fine for gaming on for the majority of the time, its just useless for gamers who have to download games because games are huge these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Basically with Imagine you have to have 3 All You Can Eat Data as a backup. I have to tether frequently due to Imagine. Its better than having no alternative and its fine for gaming on for the majority of the time, its just useless for gamers who have to download games because games are huge these days.

Yeah .. I think most game downloads are 30-50 GB typically, so you'd hit the cap twice in a 48 hour period.

/M

Advertisement