Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why does he have to provide all of your questions with answers? Sure its a new account and possibly dodgy, but Im not using a new account and Im now having to sit and wait to pass midnight before I can continue to download Fifa 18, because its 31GB and I can only download 20GB in a day before they restrict me so much thats its useless.

They have stopped allowing more data to be used at any time after midnight, like they used to. Its a strictly enforced cap at 20GB. They even stop your internet entirely when you hit 15GB and it wont start again until you click "I understand" on the warning page about the 15GB limit having been broached.

Its awful if you use any reasonable amount of data. Im the only one in this house that has access, I dont give anyone the password for the wireless and Im connected by ethernet and every day I struggle with data caps.

Ah. look I was asking the general questions that anyone would ask about an internet service. And in any case I would only recommend Imagine as a stopgap until one of the big boys come calling with pure fibre. But that may take a few years in most rural areas. And if, as has been posted already in this thread, Imagine would up their daily limit to 30, 40, 50 gb per day, they would be a far greater proposition. For the light users, their service now is be a godsend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine really is a short to medium term fix till FTTH comes along. It must be frustrating for some customers as well as Imagine themselves due to the extreme limitations of a wireless network.

The 20 gig per day usage allowance is crap, the customer knows it and surely Imagine know it. Staggering a game download over a 4 day period to keep everything in check is ridiculous. But, there isn't much Imagine can do about it because it will cripple their network to allow full access to a monthly cap whenever people need it.

If Imagine really do have a 30 meg connection as a minimum, it must be really frustrating to those who live in an area with no or very poor single digit DSL,to suddenly have Imagine arrive and do a pre-install speed-test and if the speed-test is in the 20's, then they pack up and leave?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ah. look I was asking the general questions that anyone would ask about an internet service. And in any case I would only recommend Imagine as a stopgap until one of the big boys come calling with pure fibre. But that may take a few years in most rural areas. And if, as has been posted already in this thread, Imagine would up their daily limit to 30, 40, 50 gb per day, they would be a far greater proposition. For the light users, their service now is be a godsend.

I am not sure Imagine's network could handle daily limits of 40/50 gigs per day, their network is struggling as is in many locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    I am not sure Imagine's network could handle daily limits of 40/50 gigs per day, their network is struggling as is in many locations.

They're getting customers on promises and have to justify the price they charge for the service, but it's really not realistic. The fun part is, that for the money, you can connections from other fixed wireless ISPs at the same actual speed with a larger cap and it's not daily enforced.

But by the time you realize, you're stuck in an 18 months contract.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Marlow wrote: »
    They're getting customers on promises and have to justify the price they charge for the service, but it's really not realistic. The fun part is, that for the money, you can connections from other fixed wireless ISPs at the same actual speed with a larger cap and it's not daily enforced.

But by the time you realize, you're stuck in an 18 months contract.

/M

I can ?
    Name them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

km79 wrote: »
    I can ?
    Name them

Where are you based? Depends very much on that. In Galway for example you'll find 2 ISPs offering wireless products that typically come in at around 15-20 Mbit/s with a 1 TB cap for 60 EUR or less. ( Imagine is 30x20GB = 600 GB )

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just to reiterate
    You can leave imagine for a max of €100
    So 6 or 1 month in it would cost you €100 to leave not €600 or €1000

Oh and Eir will cover that €100 as a joining credit
    Just ask

So stuck in an 18 month contract is nonsense
    Imagine is a stopgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just to reiterate
    You can leave imagine for a max of €100
    So 6 or 1 month in it would cost you €100 to leave not €600 or €1000

Oh and Eir will cover that €100 as a joining credit
    Just ask

So stuck in an 18 month contract is nonsense
    Imagine is a stopgap

And a ooor stop gap at that.

Across Louth, northern half of Meath, Cavan and parts of Leitrim there is a wireless provider called Net1 and the wireless service they offer is called Infinity.

It's similar to Imagine, just slightly slower but a better price and much more friendly attitude towards downloading.

Speeds - up to 50 megs
    Allowance - 25 gigs per day between 6am and midnight. Unlimited between 12am and 5.59am.

Installation: 189 euros
    Contract: 18 months
    Price: 45 per month.

https://net1.ie/infinity/

And a ooor stop gap at that.

Says the lad who has never had Imagine lte,and who has no experience of it yet keeps coming on here to tell us how bad it is
    And don’t try to defend yourself by repeating what you obsessively told us several pages back about your bad Imagine service from 6 or 7 years back
    It wasn’t lte

There’s plenty of people whose bus was late 6 or 7 years ago who don’t queue at the bus stops telling passengers about it

The story of this thread,the message is very clear
    Some masts are overloaded,ask and we’ll tell
    Customer service and tech support is varied
    People with one to three megs from a poor landline will notice a huge difference even if only getting 8 to 10 megs at peak times in the evenings and will think north of 20 which is what most get is space age
    There’s a 20 gig a day cap that’s enforced because if everyone went over that the speeds would drop
    So yes that’s a good stopgap until fiber in my and probably most people’s books

There’s more ,so people can ask here in this thread,it’s what it’s for!! but then smelly won’t be able to answer because to repeat he’s never had lte so doesn’t know what he’s talking about

• Advertisement

Says the lad who has never had Imagine lte,and who has no experience of it yet keeps coming on here to tell us how bad it is
    And don’t try to defend yourself by repeating what you obsessively told us several pages back about your bad Imagine service from 6 or 7 years back
    It wasn’t lte

There’s plenty of people whose bus was late 6 or 7 years ago who don’t queue at the bus stops telling passengers about it

The story of this thread,the message is very clear
    Some masts are overloaded,ask and we’ll tell
    Customer service and tech support is varied
    People with one to three megs from a poor landline will notice a huge difference even if only getting 8 to 10 megs at peak times in the evenings and will think north of 20 which is what most get is space age
    There’s a 20 gig a day cap that’s enforced because if everyone went over that the speeds would drop
    So yes that’s a good stopgap until fiber in my and probably most people’s books

There’s more ,so people can ask here in this thread,it’s what it’s for!! but then smelly won’t be able to answer because to repeat he’s never had lte so doesn’t know what he’s talking about

I have an opinion of imagine and am perfectly entitled to share it on this forum. Do you work for imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sille09

Thanks for all the advice. We're not gamers at all & besides watching Netflix in the eves or weekends our data needs would be basic enough! TBH I really just want access to reliable internet that won't cut out when I'm trying to do a bit of work in the evenings. Im beginning to think that we can't really go wrong as what we have now is so unreliable and slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

I will now attempt to bring balance to the 2 points of view expressed before me

Had not intended on posting my review until 12 months in for fear of jinxing things but here goes

First of all background

Live in rural east Galway
    Had airwire for couple of years. Appalling. No more to be said.
    Then had 3 which wasn't much better.
    Been here over 10 years and was never able to stream movies , download games etc and I'm a gamer

So last summer I signed up for imagine to be installed in September .....then it was October ....then November ........then December . And then it was announced it would not be live till January.
    After reading posts here about the service I pulled out .
    I tried to get lightnet in and thankfully (based on opinions of people in the area who did) I didn't have a signal .
    I then considered airwire again as I was desperate . I even had an engineer visit arranged for the wek before Xmas
    And then I got a phone call from imagine. Site had gone live mid December did I want to be put back on the list . ........I negotiated to get first month for free and was installed the week before Xmas

In terms of first world problems it's been life changing.
    Netflix .......sky go ......sky on demand and boxsets .........download Xbox games. All pipe dreams until now.
    I'm on the cappataggle last which must not be too busy as I don't yet experience major problems at peak times. I hope too many don't read this now and sign up !
    The cap is a pain and unlimited downloads between midnight and 7 would make things easier for game downloads BUT it now takes maybe 2 days when before it was NOT an option at all. I'm using my 3 credit to pay for digital downloads. 3 phones in the house is basically one free game a month .

So in summary for my mast
    Speeds - excellent
    Limit - a pain but manageable
    Customer service - appalling and I dread the day I need it.

We will hopefully be moving to civilization shortly after our 18 months are up so it's an ideal stop gap

Hope this helps bring balance to the arguments

I have an opinion of imagine and am perfectly entitled to share it on this forum. Do you work for imagine?

You went on with all this ****e before and were clearly told by the mod to get stuffed and only talk about the topic of this thread the LTE service
    Not your experience of a different service 6 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101776506&postcount=3332

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101806047&postcount=3363

Now please adhere to the instruction and stop posting about a service you have ZERO experience of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Your a hinderance to the thread plain and simple, as the poster above you pointed out, you never had the service so what feedback can you possibly provide.

km79 wrote: »
    I will now attempt to bring balance to the 2 points of view expressed before me

Had not intended on posting my review until 12 months in for fear of jinxing things but here goes

First of all background

Live in rural east Galway
    Had airwire for couple of years. Appalling. No more to be said.
    Then had 3 which wasn't much better.
    Been here over 10 years and was never able to stream movies , download games etc and I'm a gamer

So last summer I signed up for imagine to be installed in September .....then it was October ....then November ........then December . And then it was announced it would not be live till January.
    After reading posts here about the service I pulled out .
    I tried to get lightnet in and thankfully (based on opinions of people in the area who did) I didn't have a signal .
    I then considered airwire again as I was desperate . I even had an engineer visit arranged for the wek before Xmas
    And then I got a phone call from imagine. Site had gone live mid December did I want to be put back on the list . ........I negotiated to get first month for free and was installed the week before Xmas

In terms of first world problems it's been life changing.
    Netflix .......sky go ......sky on demand and boxsets .........download Xbox games. All pipe dreams until now.
    I'm on the cappataggle last which must not be too busy as I don't yet experience major problems at peak times. I hope too many don't read this now and sign up !
    The cap is a pain and unlimited downloads between midnight and 7 would make things easier for game downloads BUT it now takes maybe 2 days when before it was NOT an option at all. I'm using my 3 credit to pay for digital downloads. 3 phones in the house is basically one free game a month .

So in summary for my mast
    Speeds - excellent
    Limit - a pain but manageable
    Customer service - appalling and I dread the day I need it.

We will hopefully be moving to civilization shortly after our 18 months are up so it's an ideal stop gap

Hope this helps bring balance to the arguments

Ok, this has been a great help! I think we'll give it a go.... fingers crossed! Thanks to everyone for their advice & opinions, much appreciated!

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Your a hinderance to the thread plain and simple, as the poster above you pointed out, you never had the service so what feedback can you possibly provide.

Im advising against imagine based on their customer service and the fact they tell bare faced lies.

Im advising against imagine based on their customer service and the fact they tell bare faced lies.

Thanks for your advice smelly sock and I'll definitely be aware of this but we're just in the unfortunate situation that I really don't we have any other options! As I said earlier, our internet with eir just keeps cutting out, I've lost so much work in the last few months with this and that's if we manage to get internet at all. We get 1 or less than 1 with it disconnecting at least 5/6 times a day. Any other company that uses the line will have the same issue & v rural so don't think we have any other choice. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though!

Sille09 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice smelly sock and I'll definitely be aware of this but we're just in the unfortunate situation that I really don't we have any other options! As I said earlier, our internet with eir just keeps cutting out, I've lost so much work in the last few months with this and that's if we manage to get internet at all. We get 1 or less than 1 with it disconnecting at least 5/6 times a day. Any other company that uses the line will have the same issue & v rural so don't think we have any other choice. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though!

Smelly would prefer if you stayed on that 1 or less and disconnecting 5 times a day dsl because in his vast experience of Imagine lte,it’s so much worse...

What,what,he has no experience of lte and his six year festering anti Imagine obsession means he doesn’t give a twopenny Damn about solutions available to you,or anybody else here,his priority being to derail this thread

Smelly would prefer if you stayed on that 1 or less and disconnecting 5 times a day dsl because in his vast experience of Imagine lte,it’s so much worse...

What,what,he has no experience of lte and his six year festering anti Imagine obsession means he doesn’t give a twopenny Damn about solutions available to you,or anybody else here,his priority being to derail this thread

Apologies George, I didn't realise there was any previous history or acrimony. I was looking for advice... good or bad. I just wanted to thank anyone that took the time to reply to me & give their reccomendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Sille09 wrote:

Look for posts from Morgana, Irish Chris and others here, they will give you the good with the bad on imagine.

There are one or two posters here smelly sock being one of them who are beyond negative, they only pipe up to give the same nonsense every post its completely biased nonsense

Now my experience, with imagine about 8 months I think.

I am in west clare but actually connected to a mast across the Shannon in Kerry as its closer as the crow flies and I have crystal clear line of sight with absolutely zero obstacles.

Speed is fantastic 90 down about 14 up off peak.

On peak speed goes to around 60ish down about 6 up.

Ping is always 18-24 peak or off peak.

I game heavily on ps4 overwatch or destiny 2 so always online always multiplayer, have zero issues great experience.

Overwatch has in game ping monitor and when wired is about 50ms when using PC at same time and around mid 30s if not.

Download limits are crap. I hit them about 5 days a week but usually around 11 pm so I reset router at 12 and back to normal again.

When I hit cap speed drops to 1 up 1 down and is practically unusable .

Imagine have talked about extra limit between 12 and 7 at night.

But its very unclear with some people told it's 20 gig extra a week between those hours .

Others told 20gig everynight between those ours.

Others told unlimited between those hours

And others told no extra limit at all at any hours above your 20gig a day allotment.

In my experience it varys wildly week to week.

I downloaded doom and horizon zero DAwn in one night with no hit to cap.

Week later downloaded updates totaling 16 gig and got throttled to 1up and down at 10 am next day.

It was a day off and despite ages onto them it remained crap till midnight.

Customer service is woefull

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Look for posts from Morgana, Irish Chris and others here, they will give you the good with the bad on imagine.

There are one or two posters here smelly sock being one of them who are beyond negative, they only pipe up to give the same nonsense every post its completely biased

Now my experience, with imagine about 8 months I think.

I am in west clare but actually connected to a mast across the Shannon in Kerry as its closer as the crow flies and I have crystal clear line of sight with absolutely zero obstacles.

Speed is fantastic 90 down about 14 up off peak.

On peak speed goes to around 60ish down about 6 up.

Ping is always 18-24 peak or off peak.

I game heavily on ps4 overwatch or destiny 2 so always online always multiplayer, have zero issues great experience.

Overwatch has in game ping monitor and when wired is about 50ms when using PC at same time and around mid 30s if not.

Download limits are crap. I hit them about 5 days a week but usually around 11 pm so I reset router at 12 and back to normal again.

When I hit cap speed drops to 1 up 1 down and is practically unusable .

Imagine have talked about extra limit between 12 and 7 at night.

But its very unclear with some people told it's 20 gig extra a week between those hours .

Others told 20gig everynight between those ours.

Others told unlimited between those hours

And others told no extra limit at all at any hours above your 20gig a day allotment.

In my experience it varys wildly week to week.

I downloaded doom and horizon zero DAwn in one night with no hit to cap.

Week later downloaded updates totaling 16 gig and got throttled to 1up and down at 10 am next day.

It was a day off and despite ages onto them it remained crap till midnight.

Customer service is woefull
    Thank you, I'm not a gamer & I think data would suffice so I think we'll go with it. Hate it if I've caused any controversy!!! Thanks to everyone that replied!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

They have stopped allowing more data to be used at any time after midnight, like they used to. Its a strictly enforced cap at 20GB.

A bit late but this is not true. I use the extra 50GB of data per week that they grant between 1am and 7am on an almost weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Recent experience is good, speeds are steady and peak speeds seem to have improved to around 40 to 50+. My experience with customer service has actually been OK overall especially the last time my speeds were dropping badly. They admitted to a configuration error at the high site and thanked me for picking up on it and pointing it out. Even rang back a few days later to check up. However I also had the script junkies thinking all customers haven't a clue and no engagement with the issue (that is a good while ago though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

If you have no other options then beggars cant be choosers Sille09.
    I'm in that boat too unfortunately.

My experience:
    - Excellent speeds for first few months but has progressively got down to average 8Mb down and 1Mb up between 6pm - 11pm every evening without fail.
    - Still better than anything else I can get, lucking only myself and wife in house, baby is too young to be streaming stuff yet!
    - Download cap is a right pain - Need to be carefull with Netflix, Sky Q films in HD, gaming, etc.....again, beggers cant be choosers.
    - Customer service is worst I have ever seen by a looooong shot (Been with Virgin and Magnet in Dublin before).

Had Comreg involved with them over a few months as they weren't responding to my complaints at all...eventually sent an enginner out who admitted off record that the Mast had too many users - that they woulf be moving some off and onto another mast. That was 6 months ago. Speeds have stayed at 8Mb down and 1Mb up!
    This is a response I got from them other day after I reminded them again of the poor speeds (Relative to 70Mb signs they have all over the area here).

While Imagine will not install a service if they cannot get a speed that is sufficient for day to day usage, they do not guarantee any set speed. The service is a shared network and for this reason speed test results can fluctuate from time to time.

Running speed tests will be affected by the servers you run the tests to, the device you are using, and any other devices connected to your router. If you are having any specific issues such as streaming, gaming or accessing any websites we can of course investigate further.

In summary, the service is better than anything else I can get and will do for few years.
    I'm just keeping on their case so I have a documented record of the service performance...just incase they attempt to have their customers removed from the NBP - I do not want to be left with them while most of country gets FTTH!

Could someone do a list of masts with regular reported evening slowdowns to sub 15?
    By my reckoning there aren’t that many maybe 5 or 6 that we know of

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi Sile, i'm on Imagine now for the past 6 months...i had Eir/Eircom for many many years with ridiculous broadband and excessive fees and their customer service is by far much worse than anything you could expect to experience with Imagine....yes, your speeds may go down to 10mb some evenings, but generally you will have a much more superior product than Eir can give you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

d31b0y wrote: »
    A bit late but this is not true. I use the extra 50GB of data per week that they grant between 1am and 7am on an almost weekly basis.

It may not be true for you, but it 100% is for me.

I am a heavy and competent PC user, I have been with this shower since they started and have watched them wriggle, squirm and lie about virtually everything. I actually think they dont even know what they are doing a lot of the time, they wing it and then change things when it doesnt work out.

Its 100% enforced for me.

Call centre people for any company don’t lie,some say what they like,they’re on a min wage paid 9-5 job and don’t care beyond that
    Mostly they’re there to answer calls from a template
    Outside of the template,they’re mostly universally useless

If anyone is not getting enough from Imagine yet are still with them after a year because the alternatives are worse,then they’re at nothing ranting about them
    Same with everything

• Advertisement

On a practical level,I was on the phone to my farm herd software provider this morning who said I needed to update to the latest version and he’ll ring me back in 10 or 15 minutes

I had it done and installed before he had finished talking
    He was very impressed :D

Advertisement