Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Monthly report card;

372a58bf-ed3d-4f91-8228-508c489a55cb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

d31b0y I'd be interested to see your data for the last 30 days sorted by hour of the day. Here is mine:

429523.PNG

The peak time contention is clear.

Here you go, similar shape though your minimums are far lower across the board;
    1ab60319-2451-4e4c-9256-2bfee8962e34.png

I think I am one of the lucky ones with Imagine.

d31b0y wrote: »

Thanks. Better than mine for sure. Luck of the draw on which mast you end up on I guess. Mine is still an improvement on what I previously had.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

I had some awful experiences with imagine and their customer services a few years back. When they first install the product things will work well until the cooling off period has expired and then your on your own.

Really? I am with them coming up on a year now and zero issues. When does the cooling off period end?

By the way this thread is about Imagine LTE Rural Broadband, how did you find that service? Because you have be warned only to post on that topic http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101806047&postcount=3363

Post reported by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

d31b0y I'd be interested to see your data for the last 30 days sorted by hour of the day. Here is mine:

429523.PNG

The peak time contention is clear.

It is,but not as clear as you’d think for d3
    He’s on the same mast as me and is a heavy user in the evenings so is likely to have been heavily using the connection during the Sam tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

d31b0y wrote: »
    1ab60319-2451-4e4c-9256-2bfee8962e34.png

What application are you using to build these reports d3?

rodge123 wrote: »
    What application are you using to build these reports d3?

He has a samknows box which basically tests at random over a 24hr period
    Beware it would use a fair bit of data out of a 20gig cap
    It’s very good
    But because it’s working away itself in the background it will run tests when the household is heavily using the internet so that has to be borne in mind when assessing peak time speeds

https://www.samknows.com

Guys, it's d31 if you want to shorten it. You know... del... in 1337 h4x0r speak.
    Jaysus :pac:

And George Sunsnow is correct in what I use. He's also correct in the concurrent usage causing slightly incorrect readings but I would estimate that the above report isn't exactly a million miles away from accurate.

He has a samknows box which basically tests at random over a 24hr period
    Beware it would use a fair bit of data out of a 20gig cap
    It’s very good
    But because it’s working away itself in the background it will run tests when the household is heavily using the internet so that has to be borne in mind when assessing peak time speeds

https://www.samknows.com

The box is programmed to not test if the connection is being heavily used. All LAN connections are supposed to be run through it and it can detect wireless activity. The test is either suspended until activity ends or cancelled altogether.

My particular household would not be heavy users. No real streaming and I'd always try to schedule heavy downloads overnight yet the peak time slowdown happens most nights.

• Advertisement

The box is programmed to not test if the connection is being heavily used. All LAN connections are supposed to be run through it and it can detect wireless activity. The test is either suspended until activity ends or cancelled altogether.

My particular household would not be heavy users. No real streaming and I'd always try to schedule heavy downloads overnight yet the peak time slowdown happens most nights.

To be fair,I didn’t know that and was going on d31’s earlier statement that his house does a lot of streaming in the evenings as it’s his only tv source
    His samknows box is reporting speeds in the 6 to 11pm timeframe
    3 hd Netflix devices going for example would use up maybe 10 Mb of a available download speed which if off would mean a recorded speed of 9 when on ,really meant 19 available when off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Is it possible to get on a plan without the 20GB daily? Currently with Wicklow Broadband, 7 down/2 up, but no download limit. I can definitely see Steam crushing that with the size of some games nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is it possible to get on a plan without the 20GB daily? Currently with Wicklow Broadband, 7 down/2 up, but no download limit. I can definitely see Steam crushing that with the size of some games nowadays.
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Stick to what you have I am on a 2Mb connection and just leave games to download overnight. Obviously it takes a few nights depending on the game. Especially the way games have gone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Is anyone having any issues on the Athy mast today?
    No internet here, can't ping past the green packet router. I've tried rebooting it but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Is anyone having any issues on the Athy mast today?
    No internet here, can't ping past the green packet router. I've tried rebooting it but no joy.
    I'm always having issues on that mast lately.
    Currently on 4.9 down and 1.4 up.

70 meg eh? pfffft

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

So,

Eir called today to sell me upto 150MB broadband @ €55 p/m as the service has just been activated in my area.

I'd love to get off the download limit and environmental dependant Imagine.

I can't fault the service for what it is and what it provides but increased reliability and no download limit are key.

Thing is I'm a year into my contract almost to the day. Anyone had any success getting it early?

Éir have covered termination fees in the past so ask them
    It’s €100 max
    I’d be surprised if they still don’t do it as the last one I heard was actually way more than a €100 and it was just a few months ago
    It might be best to let on you can’t move unless they do it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    So,

Eir called today to sell me upto 150MB broadband @ €55 p/m as the service has just been activated in my area.

I'd love to get off the download limit and environmental dependant Imagine.

I can't fault the service for what it is and what it provides but increased reliability and no download limit are key.

Thing is I'm a year into my contract almost to the day. Anyone had any success getting it early?

Great that you can finally have access to a proper fibre connection. Unfortunately the only downside is that there is still a download data cap with Eir of 1tb per month. It's difficult to get away from the evils of download caps in this country unless your lucky enough to get Virgin Media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Great that you can finally have access to a proper fibre connection. Unfortunately the only downside is that there is still a download data cap with Eir of 1tb per month. It's difficult to get away from the evils of download caps in this country unless your lucky enough to get Virgin Media.

That's still a lot. What would you be downloading anyway. If you game that is still a lot of games you can download in a month. And way better than this Imagine service with their 20GB's a day and then service can also be unpredictable.

• Advertisement

That's still a lot. What would you be downloading anyway. If you game that is still a lot of games you can download in a month. And way better than this Imagine service with their 20GB's a day and then service can also be unpredictable.

I’m also wondering what in the name of God you’d be doing to use a terra on Eir
    We’ve watched 4 hd hours of a series on Netflix tonight with Imagine after a hard days work and it’s nearly time for bed before we go square eyed and don’t get up for work in the morning :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I’m also wondering what in the name of God you’d be doing to use a terra on Eir
    We’ve watched 4 hd hours of a series on Netflix tonight with Imagine after a hard days work and it’s nearly time for bed before we go square eyed and don’t get up for work in the morning :D

I don't use 1tb per month, get close to 600 each month, but I'm the only one in the house who really uses connection. If there was another person who downloads games, sky Hd downloads, backup work, stream etc then the 1tb limit would be smashed each month.

A family with parents and 2 teenagers would most likely smash that data cap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We've reached peak 1st world problems :D

xxyyzz wrote: »
    We've reached peak 1st world problems :D

That’s it and at that I think Gonzo is way over egging the problem if he thinks the 600 gigs he uses on his own (10 game downloads or 300 hd movies :eek: ) is anywhere near average household use in Ireland :D
    10 hd movies a day like (and still only 60% used)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

1TB!! I rarely hit the max cap with imagine so another 400GB p/m with Eir I'll be ok.

Sky are doing fiber for €30 p/m deal for new customers.

At least on fixed line Broadband I've a choice to move provider to maximize deals.

Maybe a chat with sky is in order

That’s it and at that I think Gonzo is way over egging the problem if he thinks the 600 gigs he uses on his own (10 game downloads or 300 hd movies ) is anywhere near average household use in Ireland
    10 hd movies a day like (and still only 60% used)
    I think you are underplaying it a bit.
    While it might not be close to the average for a household in Ireland (for now), it is incredibly easy to go over that 1TB limit when you have a 1000mpbs connection.
    I have gone over 1TB numerous times on previous suppliers (Vodafone) when I only had 8mbps.
    As streaming and 4K becomes more mainstream - which it will - you will find yourself blowing through 1TB easily.

It's not a problem right now for the majority, which is why Eir get away with charging exhorbitant over fees on it, but it will be a problem in months / years to come.

I doubt 4K streaming will become that popular to be honest
    3D flopped
    You’re an entirely streaming household too D3 which is about as wide off the average spectrum as Gonzo’s 600 single use gigs
    To go over a terra you’re still talking 500 hours of hd tv
    Only unemployed households would have the time for that and even then couldn’t afford it

That’s the reality I’m trying to inject here
    Internet fora attract the extreme users,the newb questions and an over represented number or a majority of complainers

Yeah, it's enough for me for now; if I am careful.
    What's the point in have 1000mbps if you have to be careful the whole time... If I can only use it in the same way I use my LTE connection that is 5% of that speed?

Also, I think it's unfair to compare 3D and 4K.
    A lot of TV standards are born from PC gaming and PC monitors. 3D was never embraced by the gaming community as it was just a gimmick. Higher resolutions than 1080p are most definitely being embraced. Add to that, the cost gap between 4K versus 1080p has closed and continues to close in recent years - it's only a matter of time before it becomes the defacto build for new TVs.

If people are asked to pay for 4K content as they are now,it’s not going to grow
    If it does yes the terra limit will quickly become a more workable 2 terra
    But as a big standard internet user ie mr Average I think we’re a good ways off that if at all
    For me 3 hrs streaming would be unusual as I’ve fta tv and recording functionality and if my kids were playing games and viewing uhd to the point of going anywhere near a terra,they’d get a kick up the backside from me the bill payer that would land them on mars
    I’d rather they were training

It’s not worth an argument we’re both on such diverse spectra so I’ll leave it at that :)

• Advertisement

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    1TB!! I rarely hit the max cap with imagine so another 400GB p/m with Eir I'll be ok.

Sky are doing fiber for €30 p/m deal for new customers.

At least on fixed line Broadband I've a choice to move provider to maximize deals.

Maybe a chat with sky is in order

Make sure it’s fiber you’re getting and not dsl
    Their product at best too is fttc only so it will decrease in speed massively the further you are from that cabinet
    They can only give me 3Mb at best which is useless

Advertisement