Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep Sky only resell adsl and FTTC.

Vodafone only sell adsl and FTTC using Eir lines. For now they only sell FTTH in Siro areas such as certain regional urbanized areas. Siro have withdrawn from the NBP so Vddafone may begin to offer FTTH to all areas at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Eir is offering FTTH. Is that exclusive to Eir or would Sky not be jumping on that line also?

Regards contract with Imagine, house does the contract fair if you move house to a non LATE area or leave the country?

Yes I shall dig out my contract and read it in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    Eir is offering FTTH. Is that exclusive to Eir or would Sky not be jumping on that line also?

Regards contract with Imagine, house does the contract fair if you move house to a non LATE area or leave the country?

Yes I shall dig out my contract and read it in the meantime

FTTH is not Eir exclusive, but not all resellers sell it. As above mentioned, you have to make sure otherwise you might get stuck with FTTC.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Only Éir and pure sell it and I think westnet ?

Everyone else depending on your distance could be selling as bad as a 1 Mb service
    If neighbors have a fixed line service ask them for a Speedtest

Only Éir and pure sell it and I think westnet ?

Everyone else depending on your distance could be selling as bad as a 1 Mb service
    If neighbors have a fixed line service ask them for a Speedtest

BBNet, Digiweb, Eir, Fastcom, Lightnet, Net1, Pure and Westnet currently sell OpenEIR FTTH for sure.

Of those BBNet and Lightnet are wrongly indicated on the fibrerollout page. Might even be more than that, that are wrong.

Regional supposedly also sells FTTH, but is wrongly indicated.

2 other providers aren't even listed on that page.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »
    BBNet, Digiweb, Eir, Fastcom, Lightnet, Net1, Pure and Westnet currently sell OpenEIR FTTH for sure.

Of those BBNet and Lightnet are wrongly indicated on the fibrerollout page. Might even be more than that, that are wrong.

Regional supposedly also sells FTTH, but is wrongly indicated.

2 other providers aren't even listed on that page.

/M

what are the 2 providers not listed as FTTH resellers?

I am hoping that Vodafone and Sky will eventually start reselling it. I'd love to think Virgin Media would join as a reseller but that's very unlikely to ever happen.

Gonzo wrote: »
    what are the 2 providers not listed as FTTH resellers?

I am hoping that Vodafone and Sky will eventually start reselling it. I'd love to think Virgin Media would join as a reseller but that's very unlikely to ever happen.

One doesn't want to be on the list, the other one will be soon enough.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    One doesn't want to be on the list, the other one will be soon enough.

/M

the first one has to be Vodafone! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104949371&postcount=8517

No. They're on the list, just not showing as FTTH. I've heard of their sales guys around trying to sell OpenEIR FTTH though.

/M

FYI everybody

The remenants of hurricane Ophelia could be traveling fromCork north to Donegal on Monday

Imagines high sites may as they are very exposed see gusts over 150 kph and on the higher ones maybe 180kmph
    That has the potential to cause a lot of damage and outages
    Esb to high sites will probably be affected
    This may also play havoc with mobile phone coverage

There is a thread on the weather forum

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057796550/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea been watching that with some anxiety hoping North Cork will escape the worst :P.

I'm already worried about Monday's forecast.

Fibre in our area was already damaged by wind a few months ago. Since then OpenEir had to reinstall my connection from scratch and relocated to a pole outside my home, fingers crossed Monday's storm won't bring down the connection again.

I reckon all networks (wireless, fibre and ADSL) will suffer from damage in various parts of the country on Monday if the storm is going to be as bad as I think it's going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

Better get downloading my fix of Netflix etc over the weekend just in case! In the east of the country near the coast but can never to too safe.

I'm already worried about Monday's forecast.

Fibre in our area was already damaged by wind a few months ago. Since then OpenEir had to reinstall my connection from scratch and relocated to a pole outside my home, fingers crossed Monday's storm won't bring down the connection again.

I reckon all networks (wireless, fibre and ADSL) will suffer from damage in various parts of the country on Monday if the storm is going to be as bad as I think it's going to be.

Latest indications have the storm further east meaning a lot more damage in all areas could happen if that pans out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Anyone any experience of this in Longford, particularly in the Lanesboro area?

Speeds, congestion at peak time, etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone on the Cappagh mast experiencing lack of internet this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr. Moonshine

Got Imagine today in the Athy area. Speed and ping was good for most of the day, 30 Mbps, until around 7PM when it began to get progressively slower until now it's basically unusable. Speedtest times out saying I have <0.30 Mbps and won't complete the upload test, and Teamspeak is telling me I have over 50% packet loss. Tried plugging out and in the router but it did nothing. It takes ages to load anything. Utter disaster, the family is well pissed off, going to have to ring Imagine tomorrow. Very bad experience on just the first day.

Yeah the masts in that area have a very bad rep on here
    If you’re only getting 30 in the daytime it’s a bad sign
    Is this on WiFi or wired?
    If WiFi is it on the 5G or the 2.4 WiFi?
    The 5G will be faster but a lot of devices cannot use 5G even laptops
    Wired will be fastes

Try a test connected to the 5G WiFi in the same room as the router and try a wired connection test on a laptop if you haven’t already

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr. Moonshine

It's wired, I'm doing these speedtests on my gaming PC. Speedtest is now telling me I'm getting 0.14 Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Could be over the limit Normaly i get .80mb when I pass the 20gig..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Got Imagine today in the Athy area. Speed and ping was good for most of the day, 30 Mbps, until around 7PM when it began to get progressively slower until now it's basically unusable. Speedtest times out saying I have <0.30 Mbps and won't complete the upload test, and Teamspeak is telling me I have over 50% packet loss. Tried plugging out and in the router but it did nothing. It takes ages to load anything. Utter disaster, the family is well pissed off, going to have to ring Imagine tomorrow. Very bad experience on just the first day.

Try using a wired connection
    And also a wifi extender if fairly handy and does improve the wifi in some rooms. I've had imagine for 2 months been really good. But it can be hit or miss

Yeah hadn't thought of that,it sounds like you have passed your 20 gigs which would mean a significant slow down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Good Customer Service
    Ophelia took our 1980s aerial down on Monday. No phone, internet or mobile Tuesday. Called Imagine Wed am , 8mins to answer , 10 mins with technical dept, asked to send a photo. Thursday dawns with a status Orange rain (not wind) warning and you wouldn't send a dog out.... Two cheerful guys from Imagine turned up in rain gear , put up a new pole and handed us 3m of 1988 antenna as a souvenir of Ophelia.
    Pjq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

pjq wrote: »
    Good Customer Service
    Ophelia took our 1980s aerial down on Monday. No phone, internet or mobile Tuesday. Called Imagine Wed am , 8mins to answer , 10 mins with technical dept, asked to send a photo. Thursday dawns with a status Orange rain (not wind) warning and you wouldn't send a dog out.... Two cheerful guys from Imagine turned up in rain gear , put up a new pole and handed us 3m of 1988 antenna as a souvenir of Ophelia.
    Pjq
    That's good to know cos I noticed when I was looking before the storm hit that one Of the fastening wires is not clipped into the holder properly and is on the brickwork instead
    I'll get onto them when things have quietened down
    I was extremely worried about the pole last Monday but it's fine thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

My install withstood Ophelia. Got my electricity back to night and there was my Imagine BB waiting for me kicking out 55/65mb. Kudos to installers and imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

Enjoy it. We've been having the same issue for months. It slows down to that speed pretty much every day at peak times.

Restarting the router will clear it for a while but it'll happen again. We have an issue open with their network team now after months of getting nowhere with their technical support team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm beginning to have that issue now too here in Clare. I'm off the ben dash mast. Getting good speeds during the day but once the evening comes it's dropping dramatically...... Down to around 3 -5 mb which is what I was getting off my old wimax service. All for 60 quid a month. Meanwhile ultra fast siro is being installed in towns and cities that already have high speed broadband. Absolute joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

terrarev wrote: »
    Enjoy it. We've been having the same issue for months. It slows down to that speed pretty much every day at peak times.

Restarting the router will clear it for a while but it'll happen again. We have an issue open with their network team now after months of getting nowhere with their technical support team.

Are you sure it's not something on your network that is causing the issue?

I had the same problem in that it got really slow and really bad ping rates and I thought it was imagine, but when I looked into it more with Imagine I found the issue was my mac was starting a massive upload to crashplan and it was kill the pings and bandwidth.

Like you, when I restarted my router it was ok for a little while and then went downhill again so it could be something similar on your network (XBox or PS4 maybe).

Are you using wifi or ethernet ? Can you disable all access and then just test with one machine (e.g get the to change the SSID and pull out all ethernet connections then test with a single phone on the new SSID)

Since I sorted this out I'm getting good speeds, always over 30 and usually up to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭terrarev

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not something on your network that is causing the issue?

I had the same problem in that it got really slow and really bad ping rates and I thought it was imagine, but when I looked into it more with Imagine I found the issue was my mac was starting a massive upload to crashplan and it was kill the pings and bandwidth.

Like you, when I restarted my router it was ok for a little while and then went downhill again so it could be something similar on your network (XBox or PS4 maybe).

Are you using wifi or ethernet ? Can you disable all access and then just test with one machine (e.g get the to change the SSID and pull out all ethernet connections then test with a single phone on the new SSID)

Since I sorted this out I'm getting good speeds, always over 30 and usually up to 50

Thanks but it's definitely not network related. I've reproduced it while every device in the house was off and connected to the royter directly over ethernet using a bare bones Linux system. It's on the Imagine side. It only happens at peak times too.

• Advertisement

terrarev wrote: »
    Thanks but it's definitely not network related. I've reproduced it while every device in the house was off and connected to the royter directly over ethernet using a bare bones Linux system. It's on the Imagine side. It only happens at peak times too.

Well you’re within your grace period to get out of the contract without paying the €100
    They try to say that starts when you sign up but it’s from when goods are received or the service installed
    So I would mention that
    The Kildare masts are the ones here on boards with most complaints for evening slow downs
    So you have your choices
    If not fixed ,go back to what you had

Advertisement