Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

polaris68 wrote: »
    No, I was to be connected to a mast that is supposedly going live in mid to late July.

Mostly buyer's remorse, we already have an uncapped 7/0.6 broadband connection for €40 per month which does us fine.

There also a few issues with this service which made me a bit uneasy about entering into a 18 month contract. The date for my mast moved from mid-June to late July and they seem to be struggling to get installations done.Their licence for the frequency they're using expires next year, 80Mbps is very attractive now but that will probably fall dramatically when more people get connected to these masts.

That last one is unfair, as there is no reason to believe it.

If Imagine have learned from the mistakes of others then best of luck to them.

If the minimum is 30 then it's still a damn sight better than 1Mbps or 3 or even 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

polaris68 wrote: »
    80Mbps is very attractive now but that will probably fall dramatically when more people get connected to these masts.
    I'm on one of the earliest masts, and I'm getting between 60 to 80 Mbps off-peak and around 45 - 65 at peak times. They've had two upgrades on the mast since I got connected end of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

morgana wrote: »
    I'm on one of the earliest masts, and I'm getting between 60 to 80 Mbps off-peak and around 45 - 65 at peak times. They've had two upgrades on the mast since I got connected end of February.

I wish they would stop upgrading your mast and get mine put up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Morgana, going back to an earlier post by you 105# (using your own wireless router instead of the wn-600)

I would definitely suggest this. In my opinion the wn-600 wireless performance is the worst part of this setup.

On the wn-600 wireless I was pinging it from several PCs and getting responses like;
    generally 4-15ms reply
    Occassional spikes to 15-100ms
    and critically, some packet loss, some request timeouts ~1-5% loss.

On reading about your setup I stuck back in a netgear router I had that has 300mbps and better range.
    Now my pings are;
    solid 2-3ms reply (never saw this low from the wn-600)
    Still Occassional spikes to 15-100ms, but I think less frequently
    and critically, 0% packet loss.

If you are into gaming and cannot go wired, I would highly suggest using a better wireless router than the wn-600 that imagine supply.

All I had to do to get my own netgear adsl router working as my wireless access point was;
      connect it with cat5 to wn-600, put it on same lan ip range as wn-600 [i.e. 192.168.22.xxx].
      On your own router, disable DHCP (the wn-600 does this)
      On your own router you will have a section about 'internet logon credentials'. On my netgear it was 'does your ISP require logon credentials for Internet access?', set this to 'No'.
      Log into the wn-600 and disable wireless. I asked the engineer for the router login during install and was told 'oh customers can't connect to that, only support'.... Yea whatever, the login for wn-600 = admin | admin

Now, I only did this today... but because I have seen an improvement straight away, I thought I would spread the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice to see user contributions springing up from this already. Shame though that ISPs are still nickle and diming their CPE.

• Advertisement

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    Log into the wn-600 and disable wireless. I asked the engineer for the router login during install and was told 'oh customers can't connect to that, only support'....
    Yea whatever, the login for wn-600 = admin | admin
    Yea that was the first thing I figured out ^^ - I thought they had since changed the CPE to a different unit. I heard this combo didn't work for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yea that was the first thing I figured out ^^ - I thought they had since changed the CPE to a different unit. I heard this combo didn't work for some people.

I noticed your speed tests results are no longer working from that link earlier in thread. Is there an updated link? Cheers

Ordered mine on 25th April but still waiting on connection. Latest I heard is my mast may be going live end of next week. Seems like an eternity since I signed up and still waiting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

irishchris wrote: »
    I noticed your speed tests results are no longer working from that link earlier in thread. Is there an updated link? Cheers

Ordered mine on 25th April but still waiting on connection. Latest I heard is my mast may be going live end of next week. Seems like an eternity since I signed up and still waiting!

Keep us posted!

irishchris wrote: »

I feel with you - nothing worse than waiting for so long for something you really want!.
    I had an updated link somewhere ... anyhow here we go; Speed History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got a call from imagine coming Monday to test signal and hopefully fit up, so will still have 10 days cooling of period left, pretty quick service, only draw back i will be at work ,wife will be in, I would like to ask a few questions and to test that everything works on all devices. what devices of my would they test ?
    Do you have to have a passcode, that you have to put in when you connect to a device , or can you request not to have one, with Permanet i asked not to have one because if i remember there was a problem with i think Xbox and password so never had one, also when you have visitors they can just connect without asking for password.
    (live out in sticks ,so no problem with neighbours getting free wifi).

Ps, hope they keep there word on the €50 weaver, because girl on phone didn't know what i was talking about and nothing on account about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Hey is there anyone on the Wexford mast on this thread?
    Just want to reference my speed results to anyone else on the same mast.
    Things are not looking good the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Chef-1st wrote: »

What are your results ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

In what sense... Speed drops??

Every evening for the past few days speeds have been tethering between 28-34M.
    Sometimes lower than that, sometimes higher. It's very inconsistent.
    Once the next morning comes round, it's fine, back up to 80M every time.
    Not exactly Imagines promised "fibre speeds". Going to get results over the weekend, and then be on to them on Monday.

Oh and I eventually got a reply in writing after much to and fro with them regarding the 12-7am slot.
    This is the reply I got:

Between the hours of 1AM and 7AM the usage is not monitored. Then from 7AM to 12PM the usage is 20GB per day and if you go over this your service will be slowed down till the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Oh and I eventually got a reply in writing after much to and fro with them regarding the 12-7am slot.
    This is the reply I got:

Between the hours of 1AM and 7AM the usage is not monitored. Then from 7AM to 12PM the usage is 20GB per day and if you go over this your service will be slowed down till the next day.

By using 1AM as the start time, it creates some doubt about the accuracy of the statement. :(

First I've heard of 0100am alright, every other statement seemed to say 0000.
    And "7am to 12pm"... 12pm is noon. I'm guessing they meant to say "7am to 12am" (12am being midnight 00:00)..

I download the game DOOM last night, 43.9gb from 00:15-~0220. My speeds are fine today.

To be honest, I'd say that was just a typo on their part. It's supposed to say 12am.
    Glad to hear someone has gone over the 20G allowance between these hours, and tested it's validity. I was actually going to test it out this weekend.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Got a call from imagine coming Monday to test signal and hopefully fit up, so will still have 10 days cooling of period left, pretty quick service, only draw back i will be at work ,wife will be in, I would like to ask a few questions and to test that everything works on all devices. what devices of my would they test ?
    Do you have to have a passcode, that you have to put in when you connect to a device , or can you request not to have one, with Permanet i asked not to have one because if i remember there was a problem with i think Xbox and password so never had one, also when you have visitors they can just connect without asking for password.
    (live out in sticks ,so no problem with neighbours getting free wifi).

Ps, hope they keep there word on the €50 weaver, because girl on phone didn't know what i was talking about and nothing on account about it.

My installer was just happy to show me his laptop which was on cat5 into the router wn-600. He then did multiple speed tests on speedtest.net. He also made two phone calls on his own test handset to imagine support.
    I connected a tablet and my own pc wirelessly and did the same.
    I also ran pings from a command prompt to the router and multiple different websites in different countries e.g. rte.ie, heanet.ie, london.gov.uk, bbc.co.uk, multiplay.com, etc. Just to see that pings were stable and I wasn't getting obvious packet loss either inside or outside my house. Now the installer didn't even know how to open a command prompt, so you'll have to do that yourself!

Yes there is a wifi password. Like I said in an earlier post, the installer told me I cannot login to the router at all, he said "I can give you this one here, or I can change it for you while I'm here to whatever you want". I took the one that came with it and the installer wrote it down on the install sign-off sheet also. I have since found that I can login to the router no bother and change it to whatever I want (currently I actually have disabled wireless completely on it), as I mentioned in my earlier post.

However, you mentioned xbox... like I said earlier my experience is that the wireless on the imagine router is poor quality. I currently use a netgear router with superior wireless and have noticed a positive difference.

Oh and another thing I'm doing is taking a screenshot every other day of a speed test and pings off peak (before 1700) and during peak (probably 1800-2200). There is little point going to Imagine (or anyone else for that matter) a few months down the line;
    "When you first installed this, the service was great but now it is slow.."

You are 1000 times better off with proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

I download the game DOOM last night, 43.9gb from 00:15-~0220. My speeds are fine today.
    That works out at 48Mbps approximate sustained average speed, very impressive for real world throughput. :cool:

• Advertisement

In steam it peaked at 9.1mbs for me and was fairly solid on that.
    I actually throttled it to 7mbs and then 5mbs for a while because I had other things to do.. so it would have been even quicker if I left it alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

That last one is unfair, as there is no reason to believe it.

If Imagine have learned from the mistakes of others then best of luck to them.

If the minimum is 30 then it's still a damn sight better than 1Mbps or 3 or even 7.

You are probably right about that one. They are tendering for the NBP contract so that should keep them on their best behaviour until that's decided.

Oh and another thing I'm doing is taking a screenshot every other day of a speed test and pings off peak (before 1700) and during peak (probably 1800-2200). There is little point going to Imagine (or anyone else for that matter) a few months down the line;
    "When you first installed this, the service was great but now it is slow.."

You are 1000 times better off with proof.

You don't even have to take screenshots of your speed tests. You can make account with speedtest and it will save your history (like in my link). You have all your speedtests there recorded for posterity :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

(like in my link)

What link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Morgana, going back to an earlier post by you 105# (using your own wireless router instead of the wn-600)

I would definitely suggest this. In my opinion the wn-600 wireless performance is the worst part of this setup.

On the wn-600 wireless I was pinging it from several PCs and getting responses like;
    generally 4-15ms reply
    Occassional spikes to 15-100ms
    and critically, some packet loss, some request timeouts ~1-5% loss.

On reading about your setup I stuck back in a netgear router I had that has 300mbps and better range.
    Now my pings are;
    solid 2-3ms reply (never saw this low from the wn-600)
    Still Occassional spikes to 15-100ms, but I think less frequently
    and critically, 0% packet loss.

If you are into gaming and cannot go wired, I would highly suggest using a better wireless router than the wn-600 that imagine supply.

All I had to do to get my own netgear adsl router working as my wireless access point was;
      connect it with cat5 to wn-600, put it on same lan ip range as wn-600 [i.e. 192.168.22.xxx].
      On your own router, disable DHCP (the wn-600 does this)
      On your own router you will have a section about 'internet logon credentials'. On my netgear it was 'does your ISP require logon credentials for Internet access?', set this to 'No'.
      Log into the wn-600 and disable wireless. I asked the engineer for the router login during install and was told 'oh customers can't connect to that, only support'.... Yea whatever, the login for wn-600 = admin | admin

Now, I only did this today... but because I have seen an improvement straight away, I thought I would spread the word.

Yeah from my own testing posted earlier the WN-600 is fairly ****e. The wifi tops out at the mid 30mb mark, getting closer to full 80mb with either of my TP-link routers.
    I only had to do the last point of what you did to turn off the wifi. Other than that all i did was connect any of the lan ports on the WN-600 to the WAN port on either of my TP link routers and didnt have to change any of my existing settings or on the WN-600.
    I wonder is it possible to get a PoE injector like even this one from currys (for convenience) to power the external unit and get rid of the WN-600 altogether...

Hmm... maybe not. This looks like the outdoor unit but its says its not the PoE standard
    Rather than adopting the expensive standard PoE, the modem uses uniquely designed / stripped-down ˝PoE injector Wi-Fi Router˝ to enable power supply and data transferring. The distance from unit to PoE injector can range up to 30 meters, which is sufficient to run the Ethernet cable to roof top of a 7-story building

Yea Scruff, we have spotted the wireless capability of the WN-600 is substandard, which suggests it may also be doing a crappy job in terms of data transfer and powering the receiver too.

If someone manages to bin the wn-600, I'd like to hear if they see any other performance increase.
    In saying that, I'm going to leave my setup the way it is for a while though..

Main thing to take away for the moment is WN-600 wireless is crap. You get much better performance off a ~40E wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Yea Scruff, we have spotted the wireless capability of the WN-600 is substandard, which suggests it may also be doing a crappy job in terms of data transfer and powering the receiver too.

If someone manages to bin the wn-600, I'd like to hear if they see any other performance increase.
    In saying that, I'm going to leave my setup the way it is for a while though..

Main thing to take away for the moment is WN-600 wireless is crap. You get much better performance off a ~40E wireless router.

As you will with any non-provider branded yoke, including eircom's modems and Sky's satellite receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

From what I see, there does not seem to be any standard voltage for POE apart from 48 volts for the 802.3af standard, so I would advise against picking up a POE injector to try powering the outdoor unit, at least not without finding out what voltage and current it requires to find a matching power supply.

With a quick search on Amazon, I found POE injectors ranging between 5 and 48 volts. So if let's say the panel operates on 24 volts like the Ubiquiti antennas, a 5 volt POE injector will certainly not power it, while a 48 volt POE injector could cause it to release the magic smoke.

Advertisement