Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Is it different times you are affected?
    Could just be congestion on the mast you are connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

d31b0y wrote: »
    Is it different times you are affected?
    Could just be congestion on the mast you are connected to.

Could be fine one minute gone slow the next.
    Can happen at any time of the day.
    The other night after midnight was particularly slow and there was no way that I was overthe daily allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

40 ft from router in a different room? (Well obviously unless they’re gigantic rooms)
    What’s the wired speed like?
    WiFi can be affected by many things
    It doesn’t like more than one wall

Just got the usage portal email so set that up

And I’ve discovered the home phone on your mobile app is now live so I set that up
    Brilliant I can now make and receive calls from my land line number on my phone
    Quality perfect when the phones on WiFi
    I’ve yet to try it over 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

40 ft from router in a different room? (Well obviously unless they’re gigantic rooms)
    What’s the wired speed like?
    WiFi can be affected by many things
    It doesn’t like more than one wall

Beside the router getting 50-60+ constant.
    There are two walls between the router and where I mostly use the wifi. Probably overstated the 40, more likely 30ft.
    Problem is should the speed fluctuate so much when it is obvious that there is no interference.
    Have already ordered wifi extenders so hopefully this will fix the problem but if the problem is a poor router or poor reception to the receiver then will Imagine replace the router with a better one if they can or will I just have to suffer through until I find a different provider.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

northknife wrote: »
    Beside the router getting 50-60+ constant.
    There are two walls between the router and where I mostly use the wifi. Probably overstated the 40, more likely 30ft.
    Problem is should the speed fluctuate so much when it is obvious that there is no interference.
    Have already ordered wifi extenders so hopefully this will fix the problem but if the problem is a poor router or poor reception to the receiver then will Imagine replace the router with a better one if they can or will I just have to suffer through until I find a different provider.

Cheers.

If it’s not fluctuating in the room with the router then something unknown to you along with the walls is weakening things
    A home plug set up in the room you mostly use is the answer

Ordinary WiFi extenders are not the answer,WiFi home plugs that carry the signal over your internal house wiring will do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Just coming back on the portal and usage stats... how does this make any sense ?

You've used 0GB of todays 20GB Total Usage Today: 16.42GB

So far it tells me this every day... I have used 0 GB of todays 20GB. I have been throttled loads of times in the past for going over 20GB.
    The 16.2 GB is exactly what my router is telling me as well. Of the 16.2 roughly 15 GB is after 7 AM.

Maybe I should download another 5 GB today and see if the cap is kicking in?

BTW, off topic but I see that my firesticks are up/downloading about 100MB every hour ? I thought they are idle when you switch off TV ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Yeah, mine is similar.

You have used 1.25gb.... total used today 0.79gb

I wonder if it was designed for another application and just adopted for this portal. It would make sense for a weekly or monthly report.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Johnfred wrote: »
    Mr Bolger said Imagine wouldn't be affected by the roll-out of the Government's National Broadband Plan, as the NBP only makes subsidies available for broadband deployment in areas where it is not commercially viable to do so.

There's the bit Imagine customers should be wary of. To me that sounds like they intend seeking to have the areas they cover removed from the NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

There's the bit Imagine customers should be wary of. To me that sounds like they intend seeking to have the areas they cover removed from the NBP.
    Yea I picked up on that one too, but then, what choice do we have? Better Imagine than nothing usable.
    NBP seems to be getting watered down anywhere you look, not mention delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I sit in one of the NBP areas. Eircom ran to poles less than 1km either side of my house. There is a good chance ill never see fibre even as part of NBP, Imagine looks very tempting to me over my 3mbs wireless

morgana wrote: »
    Yea I picked up on that one too, but then, what choice do we have? Better Imagine than nothing usable.
    NBP seems to be getting watered down anywhere you look, not mention delayed.

I'm not criticising anyone for going with Imagine. I was with them myself. As you say they are often the best option. I just think think that if they do go down the route of challenging the NBP process it's going to be an almighty mess. What about people in Imagine areas that can't get the service due to trees or topography?

dashoonage wrote: »
    I sit in one of the NBP areas. Eircom ran to poles less than 1km either side of my house. There is a good chance ill never see fibre even as part of NBP, Imagine looks very tempting to me over my 3mbs wireless

That is not the NBP though. That is a commercial rollout by eir. How would you feel if because you were covered by Imagine that the Government would not subsidise your connection while others in a similar situation to you got a FTTH connection through subsidies?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

dashoonage wrote: »
    The bad news: You are right
    The good news: You are not alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Johnfred wrote: »
    Imagine has been offering a limited trial service since June 2016, and has so far attracted about 20,000 customers, said Mr Bolger.

We're all on a trial service??? thats news to me

1 year and 3 months in and here’s my Speedtest this morning over WiFi 5G
    No complaints

Average in the evenings is about half this but over ten times faster than Éir could provide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

1 year and 3 months in and here’s my Speedtest this morning over WiFi 5G
    No complaints

Average in the evenings is about half this but over ten times faster than Éir could provide :)

Tested mine just now to see how it compares
    6837549821.png

Ours gets slower during the summer because the line of sight to the mast gets a bit more obstructed due to trees pretty close to our house but it was about this fast when we got it around March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its best to use Imagine's speedtest server, otherwise you run the risk that you're also testing the internet service of whoever is running the Ookla server.

The link is: http://imagine.speedtestcustom.com

Its best to use Imagine's speedtest server, otherwise you run the risk that you're also testing the internet service of whoever is running the Ookla server.

The link is: http://imagine.speedtestcustom.com

Well, not really... It's not a real world test if you are using Imagine's own server. Sure it will tell you the speed you are getting between your router and imagine but how many websites / servers are Imagine hosting that you would be using every day? How much priority are they putting on traffic going to that speed test?

The best real world speed test that you can do is download a file from the likes of HEANet and check the speed you are getting.

E.g. an ISO from this page https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/debian/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

So out of the blue I got a response from 'Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland'.
    I emailed them months ago and had forgotten about it.
    Basically I was tired of getting very poor peak hour speeds compared to what they were adverting via various methods i.e. facebooks, website, roadside posters, etc...

Here is response:
    I refer to your complaint regarding advertising for Imagine.
    The function of the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland is to ensure that advertisers comply
    with the requirements of the Code of Standards for Advertising and Marketing Communications in
    Ireland. We are prepared to investigate complaints concerning advertisements that may be considered
    to be in breach of the Code.
    In keeping with our normal practice we forwarded your complaint (without disclosing your identity) to
    Imagine and asked for comments. In reply they stated that they operate an advanced LTE Wireless
    Network delivering broadband services over their core national fibre backbone network. They said
    that the term ‘fibre’ was used industry wide by operators who deliver their broadband services over a
    core fibre backbone network and as a technology differentiator to the conventional lower speed DSL

broadband services. They said that in this context, LTE advanced was no different than any other non-
    fibre to the home technologies.

They have noted your comment in regards to the timing of their speed tests and said that their
    customer installations happen during a full working day, including when their network is busy with
    existing and active customer internet activity. They said that at the point of install, numerous speed
    tests are conducted for a multiple of network test setup requirements including the validation of actual
    speed achieved at point of successful customer install. They said that these speed tests were
    conducted and achieved using the independent speed test service provided by speedtest.net (Ookla).
    They also said that the speed test posts were a reflection of new customer installations and nothing
    more.

They said that they could not comment on an individual’s experience as it could be influenced by a
    number of factors. They did say, however, that while the LTE product is capable of up to 100Mbs,
    some of their customers they only advertise an up to 70Mb product.
    We have reviewed the above response from Imagine against your speed test results. In view of the fact
    that you are experiencing slow speeds we do intend going back to Imagine to request further details,
    however, as we would not be disclosing any information that may identify you, their response may
    still be quite general. In view of this, it may be beneficial for Imagine to look into your account to
    determine why you are experiencing such slow speeds. In order for them to do this they would need to
    know your details. We would therefore be grateful if you could advise us as to whether you are in
    agreement to us forwarding on your details or not.
    We will take no further action in the matter until we hear from you.

I love this point:
    They have noted your comment in regards to the timing of their speed tests and said that their
    customer installations happen during a full working day, including when their network is busy with
    existing and active customer internet activity.

I know their tests are during a full working day, that's the point I made in complaint....never is there an ad posted with a peak hour speed test result.
    They said that they could not comment on an individual’s experience as it could be influenced by a
    number of factors. They did say, however, that while the LTE product is capable of up to 100Mbs,
    some of their customers they only advertise an up to 70Mb product.

Predicable response there! There is nothing other that the over subscription of the mast I am on affecting the performance of my service....as confirmed by their engineer off the record when he called out to check everything!
    I can't even get up to 10Mb in evenings, never mind 70Mb!
    In view of this, it may be beneficial for Imagine to look into your account to
    determine why you are experiencing such slow speeds.
    No point, we both know the problem...the mast oversubscribed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

My mast must be well over subscribed!! 0.56mb download yesterday evening at 8pm. Struggled to open simple Facebook pages. Netflix and PS4 out of the question. I know I sound like a broken record but during the day I'm getting up and around 20-25mb...... To drop so much in the evening time means something sinister is going on

Interesting that you got a response from the ASAI in the first place.
    It's also very interesting what's going on in GB at the moment. Their own ASA have said;
    Under the new rules, speed claims in broadband adveritising will have to be based on the download speed available to at least 50 percent of customers at peak time and described in ads as “average”.
    https://www.itproportal.com/news/asa-rules-on-major-broadband-advertising-changes-across-the-uk/

A move in the right direction and it would be good for the ASAI did the same thing.

Well I’ve just got the fastest Speedtest ever since I joined Imagine
    165.54 Mbps on my pc :D :eek: :D

At this rate of going I’ll nearly be challenging Gonzo :p

It’s actualy faster than a standard ftth connection this morning :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Well I’ve just got the fastest Speedtest ever since I joined Imagine
    165.54 Mbps on my pc :D :eek: :D

At this rate of going I’ll nearly be challenging Gonzo :p

It’s actualy faster than a standard ftth connection this morning :eek:

165 megs from Imagine, I didn't think that was even possible. The speeds you get do seem to be well above what most others get with Imagine, you must be one of only a few customers on your mast?
    If you sent that screenshot to Imagine they would probably use it for the next 12 months on their social media advertising!

Gonzo wrote: »
    165 megs from Imagine, I didn't think that was even possible. The speeds you get do seem to be well above what most others get with Imagine, you must be one of only a few customers on your mast?
    If you sent that screenshot to Imagine they would probably use it for the next 12 months on their social media advertising!

Don’t worry I won’t
    I’m on the same mast as delboy who posts here barrackcroghan in co Wexford
    Speeds have improved a lot here lately though as you say they were always good

Hmm, just checked my samknows box and it's showing some seriously high speeds over the last few nights / mornings too, like yours George.
    Too bad it still drops to ~6mbps at peak but I can still currently live with that.

Highest recorded was 173mbps on the 30th of November at 9 am.

434972.png

Now I know I’m not going mad!
    I’ve not noticed anything as low as 6Mb but perhaps they happen in bursts like the peak speeds
    I wonder are they locally testing the up to 200 Mb hardware and seemingly our boxes are capable of handling it?
    It would make sense for tests during office hours
    Clearly we are capable of nearly double what I originally thought the service could handle

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mickgt10

Hi. I'm currently a imagine costumer, got connected in Jan 17. I'm in Donegal and getting signal from raphoe mask. Speed is up to 90meg during the day and down to 6 at peak times. Just wondering if anybody else experience this. Costumer care says there no problems.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mickgt10 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm currently a imagine costumer, got connected in Jan 17. I'm in Donegal and getting signal from raphoe mask. Speed is up to 90meg during the day and down to 6 at peak times. Just wondering if anybody else experience this. Costumer care says there no problems.
    Thanks.

Loads of reading if you go back on this thread but thats the experience of a lot of us.

Your mast is probably a lot busier at peek times.

They are correct though, from their perspective they have no problem. We signed up for speeds of up to 70mb and they don't install unless it's over 30 at point of installation.

Its really annoying from a user perspective and hopefully they will improve the peak service but, to answer your question, plenty if not most of us are experiencing dramatic variances between peak and off peak times.

Keep complaining though as they might actually do something. Although their tech support can be hit or miss too. :o

Advertisement