Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Speedtest just now wired on the pc here at home
    Barrackcroghan mast in north wexford
    The very fast speeds most of the daytime are continuing

This one was 149 Mb
    Faster than a test on a standard Éir ftth

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6869333305

This has to be an Imagine engineering test of some kind but it’s very welcome and has been the case for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Wow!
    Did you try another speed test site in case there's some error with speedtest.net ? (Just curious)

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Wow!
    Did you try another speed test site in case there's some error with speedtest.net ? (Just curious)

Yup next one was even faster at 166!

De1boy who posts here has a sam knows box and experiencing the same during the day time
    Normal service returns in the evening

Here’s an Éir ftth over WiFi though but in the room with the router for comparison done just now

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2380094791

Much lower ping and higher upload
    But slower download
    Nothing using the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

Hi,
    I'm living outside Navan using the Jamestown Bog mast with Imagine Broadband.

It's pretty good during the day maybe 30mbit on average sometimes faster/slower.

Unfortunately in the evening it's really bad maybe 7 -14mbit.

My neighbor also has the same experience.

Anyone else using this mast with the same problem?

I'm getting 12mbit now at 21:50 - for €60/month its really not worth it.

Maybe we could collectively contact Imagine and try to get something done about it.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

joe2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

It's pretty good during the day maybe 30mbit on average sometimes faster/slower.

Maybe we could collectively contact Imagine and try to get something done about it.

Cheers.

Different mast, different country but same experience as you.

I've had it for 18 months or more.

Have you spoken to them? Has your neighbour? I don't think collectively contacting them would make a difference to be honest.

Its all the signs of an over subscribed mast, although they tell you this doesn't happen.

If I had a better product available, I would have gone to it by now but I'm guessing you are in a similar situation if you are with them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

joe2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers.

I was on it. I've since moved to FTTH but I was experiencing what you say. You can see from this post my final three days testing of the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

Thanks for your replies, yeah we both contacted imagine multiple times it makes no difference. I’ll read your post now sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mickgt10

Mickgt10 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the heads up. Eir is paying for cancellation along with 50e cash back. So signed up yday. 150meg gettin installed on 14th.

Hey was due fibre install today so booked this morn off work, kn group never landed. Van turned at end of road at 1pm and never came back then at 5pm stopped at house for 10sec then when he seen me he drove off. He rang his head office then at 6pm to say he hadnt time to do the job. Days wages lost but kn dosnt give a ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can confirm now that between 12-7am Is not counted
    22 Gb game downloaded in 20 minutes
    Speed never dipped below 90

I’d have been WEEKS downloading that over 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trant

We had Imagine LTE installed a few weeks ago. The engineer put the antenna in our attic but didn’t secure it in any way. As a result, the next time someone went into the attic it fell over.

Having put it back in roughly the same spot, are the LTE signal strength lights on the modem a pretty good indication that we put it back correctly? It shows 5 bars (out of 5) but since speed tests fluctuate quite a bit, it’s hard to know really.

I would think that LTE is not as LoS sensitive as other fixed wireless solutions, but figured I would ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

trant wrote: »
    We had Imagine LTE installed a few weeks ago. The engineer put the antenna in our attic but didn’t secure it in any way. As a result, the next time someone went into the attic it fell over.

Having put it back in roughly the same spot, are the LTE signal strength lights on the modem a pretty good indication that we put it back correctly? It shows 5 bars (out of 5) but since speed tests fluctuate quite a bit, it’s hard to know really.

I would think that LTE is not as LoS sensitive as other fixed wireless solutions, but figured I would ask.

He put the actual antenna inside the attic? Why? Did you request this? I didn't think the frequencies used by Imagine were particularly adapt at penetrating roof tiles. Are you very close to the mast?

The signal LEDs are an indication of SNR, 5 lit means SNR ≥ 23dB which is a very good signal. The fluctuating speeds are most likely a result of contention on the mast which a few posters in this thread have complained of.

The antenna really should be secured to stop it moving though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trant

He put the actual antenna inside the attic? Why? Did you request this? I didn't think the frequencies used by Imagine were particularly adapt at penetrating roof tiles. Are you very close to the mast?

The signal LEDs are an indication of SNR, 5 lit means SNR ≥ 23dB which is a very good signal. The fluctuating speeds are most likely a result of contention on the mast which a few posters in this thread have complained of.

The antenna really should be secured to stop it moving though.

Apparently the signal was best in the attic as opposed to on the chimney. We didn’t argue with them so they put it there. We are on a hill with direct LoS to the mast in Maynooth so no worries there.

Will definitely secure the antenna, and since we have 5 bars I won’t worry about it too much.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

Lads I only have imagine a week .the 20gb a day deal. Was going grand then I downloaded 3 games for young lad for xmas.finished downloading last Sunday.since then I'm getting daily usage is up all the time .today I got email at 12.15.my kids were still in bed .I was in work.i have netflix fixed that it's not streaming the best. The young lad only started ps last nite.so it's 6.30 and I can't watch anything .Is there anyway to monitor what is using the Wi-Fi.

For a start I'd try turning off the xbox completely as it could be downloading game patches and updates, and see how it goes.

Are you technical ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

For a start I'd try turning off the xbox completely as it could be downloading game patches and updates, and see how it goes.

Are you technical ?

I turned off ps4 .still got the warning I like to think I'm technical .going to have a look at you tube.that is on a lot . See is there a way to reduce wifi use.

Is the PS4 totally off or in "Rest Mode" as it still downloads in rest mode ?

For YouTube, sign in and set videos to stop playing the next one automatically.
    My kids would watch YouTube and then leave it playing and go off and do something else, and the videos would play one after another. At least if you turn off the autoplay that won't happen.

Other than that you need to get something like a gargoyle router and set it up.

You could also plug out all ethernet connections and change the WiFi password, then log in clients one per day and by a process of elimination you could maybe discern what's eating the bandwidth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Is the PS4 totally off or in "Rest Mode" as it still downloads in rest mode ?

For YouTube, sign in and set videos to stop playing the next one automatically.
    My kids would watch YouTube and then leave it playing and go off and do something else, and the videos would play one after another. At least if you turn off the autoplay that won't happen.

Other than that you need to get something like a gargoyle router and set it up.

You could also plug out all ethernet connections and change the WiFi password, then log in clients one per day and by a process of elimination you could maybe discern what's eating the bandwidth...

All of what he said but I will add another one....... Make sure you are getting a warning for your actual use and not another persons.

Yep, I had weeks of being throttled on days where I used nothing and they couldn't figure it out.

I got the warning email on days that I had used nothing. They checked and my account was verifying my lack of use on that day. Thus went on for ages and lots of calls to them.

Turns out I was getting the warning for a neighbours account. Considering there is only three people including myself that uses imagine here in this area , it was interesting.

Also, make sure that you are downloading updates for the games between 12am and 7am as that shouldn't count towards your allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Internet has been much slower than usual today. Getting no more than 16mbps, despite that I usually get in excess of 30mpbs.

Anyone else been dealing with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

DredFX wrote: »
    Internet has been much slower than usual today. Getting no more than 16mbps, despite that I usually get in excess of 30mpbs.

Internet usage is through the roof tonight with Eleanor raging and everybody being at home playing with their new internet dependant xmas toys. That affects everybody. The storm battering most ISPs licensed link infrastructure doesn't really help either, so some of the sites may be a bit lower on bandwidth compared to normal.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mimah_3_16

DredFX wrote: »

Noticed the same last night, connected to mast in North Tipp. Are you in this area too?

Have installed about a month and had been getting average speeds of 50-60Mb download / 7Mb upload all over December - last night fell down to 1Mb, with upload speeds about almost unaffected. All hardware was fine, restarted the router etc. Speeds back up to 20Mb this morning.

I am putting it down to either the storm or a raft of new connections yesterday bringing up the contention ratio - hopefully its just the storm with equipment outages because it is pretty much unusable at those speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Was down between 1 and 2 mb last night myself. Putting it down to the storm for now as it hasn't been that bad before.
    I'm in a FTTH area so I wouldn't think Imagine will be getting many new connections on my mast.
    Hoping to have the ancillary works for my own fibre install done early this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

trant wrote: »
    Apparently the signal was best in the attic as opposed to on the chimney. We didn’t argue with them so they put it there. We are on a hill with direct LoS to the mast in Maynooth so no worries there.

Will definitely secure the antenna, and since we have 5 bars I won’t worry about it too much.

Thanks for your help!

The installer was absolutely bluffing you there, the lazy git just didn't want to install it outside. These antenna absolutely work better with LOS no matter what imagine say to you.
    You should call imagine straight away and complain, tell them you want the antenna outside on the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Does anyone have username/password for little black router guys?
    Had it PM'd to me from member here before, but seems that Imagine have changed it as no longer working anymore.

Having issues setting up Airport Extreme after setting to Bridge Mode.

Airport Extreme doent seem to want to get assigned ips from image router...using its own 169.254.233.*** range.

prob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mimah_3_16

Looks like it was just an interruption due to the storm, service was restored and coverage is quite good.
    mimah_3_16 wrote: »
    Noticed the same last night, connected to mast in North Tipp. Are you in this area too?

Have installed about a month and had been getting average speeds of 50-60Mb download / 7Mb upload all over December - last night fell down to 1Mb, with upload speeds about almost unaffected. All hardware was fine, restarted the router etc. Speeds back up to 20Mb this morning.

I am putting it down to either the storm or a raft of new connections yesterday bringing up the contention ratio - hopefully its just the storm with equipment outages because it is pretty much unusable at those speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

mimah_3_16 wrote: »
    Looks like it was just an interruption due to the storm, service was restored and coverage is quite good.

I'm a happy man.
    Eir were out and installed FTTH.
    Ping is less than 5 wired.
    Haven't got to plug directly into the router but over my dodgy switch I was pulling 100mb down.
    Bye bye Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

chrismon wrote: »
    Eir were out and installed FTTH.
    over my dodgy switch I was pulling 100mb down.
    Bye bye Imagine.

How much? and what's the package you have?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I can't find the package now.
    But it was €60 per month for 150mb unlimited with a basic TV package.

chrismon wrote: »
    I can't find the package now.
    But it was €60 per month for 150mb unlimited with a basic TV package.

The sky cinema add on is available for only an extra tenner I think
    Well worth it because you get all skys free movies for download and the channels
    They might give you a trial of it for a month but it’s contract free so that part can be taken off at anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Anyone else having issues with port forwarding suddenly?  Can't see network cams across WAN since yesterday.  All ok on LAN, rebooted a few times - nada!

Advertisement