Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

chrismon wrote: »
    I can't find the package now.
    But it was €60 per month for 150mb unlimited with a basic TV package.
    How much data are you allowed per month?

joe2010 wrote: »
    Hi,
     I'm living outside Navan using the Jamestown Bog mast with Imagine Broadband.

It's pretty good during the day maybe 30mbit on average sometimes faster/slower.

Unfortunately in the evening it's really bad maybe 7 -14mbit.

My neighbor also has the same experience.

Anyone else using this mast with the same problem?

I'm getting 12mbit now at 21:50 - for €60/month its really not worth it.

Maybe we could collectively contact Imagine and try to get something done about it.

Cheers.
    I'm also on the Jamestown Imagine mast in Meath also (about 7km from the mast). But I find it ok/fine. I (and the kids) usually stream in the evening, but I find that there isn't a problem streaming for me. Are you finding that when you stream TV/YouTube that it buffers a lot for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Gone to ****e since the new year here in North Wexford.
    1.5 mbps at times between 8pm and 11pm causing streams to buffer like crazy.
    Done all the usual tests. It feels very much like contention. I've sent an email off to Imagine support. Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Contention is definitely an issue. During the day I'm getting roughly 20 - 25 mb..... From around 7pm onwards that drops to around 7mb, sometimes worse. Really hoping that the national broadband plan gets sorted soon so I can have some reliable service. Paying 60 a month for this is just not acceptable anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

d31b0y wrote: »
    Gone to ****e since the new year here in North Wexford.
    1.5 mbps at times between 8pm and 11pm causing streams to buffer like crazy.
    Done all the usual tests. It feels very much like contention. I've sent an email off to Imagine support. Let's see.

I’ll have a look tonight and post back
    Haven’t had much time lately for streaming so won’t have noticed
    You should really get ftth in as its on your road
    They will put up poles
    They put up 6 for one lane in coolgreaney with just one house

• Advertisement

They won't erect poles on a private lane. I have to lay a duct. Believe me, I am going to switch once I get the money together. There is a guy coming to quote me on Thursday.

They won't erect poles on a private lane. I have to lay a duct. Believe me, I am going to switch once I get the money together. There is a guy coming to quote me on Thursday.

They will erect poles on a private lane
    Practically Every farm in the country has a lane with poles!
    If you haven’t asked them,Do ask them
    Point out the farms near you with poles!
    Also look for a land line
    They’ll have to connect you to that which will necessitate poles
    There are many ways to skin a cat :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

OpenEir should be doing everything to connect people to FTTH. There has been several examples already on boards where KN/OpenEir show up, see a problem and just walk away and leave it to the customer to sort out.

Gonzo wrote: »
    OpenEir should be doing everything to connect people to FTTH. There has been several examples already on boards where KN/OpenEir show up, see a problem and just walk away and leave it to the customer to sort out.

I’m going to have another look as it was getting dark but they were on my road today opposite my gate
    There’s a new thin line and a coil on the pole opposite it :D
    My old land line comes in at the next pole though
    That said this is looking hopeful ?

My lane is a bit special and poles would look absolutely woeful. I have asked them in any case. They said no. It's a private lane shared by three houses. The poles would have to be strung in front of the 'view' of the houses.
    The guy who built the house laid the phone cable along the entire length of the lane just on the ground. Honestly, I am amazed it worked at all.
    The fibre connection point on the road is underground too.

When I do it, I want it done right. I won't be doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

My lane is a bit special and poles would look absolutely woeful. I have asked them in any case. They said no. It's a private lane shared by three houses. The poles would have to be strung in front of the 'view' of the houses.
    The guy who built the house laid the phone cable along the entire length of the lane just on the ground. Honestly, I am amazed it worked at all.
    The fibre connection point on the road is underground too.

When I do it, I want it done right. I won't be doing it again.

Would your neighbours be willing to share the cost of installing ducting or will it all rest on you?

I’m going to have another look as it was getting dark but they were on my road today opposite my gate

Are you due to be covered under the 300k eir plan?

Are you due to be covered under the 300k eir plan?

Up to today the nearest house to me was about 800 metres away
    I’ll have a look tomorrow and see in day light as it was almost dark
    Is there a link in the meantime that I can check?
    I was in a blue area on a map before but my eircode said yes,then no

Up to today the nearest house to me was about 800 metres away
    I’ll have a look tomorrow and see in day light as it was almost dark
    Is there a link in the meantime that I can check?
    I was in a blue area on a map before but my eircode said yes,then no

Enter your Eircode on:

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)

and

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Even if you fail both of those, I have seen myself and others have posted where Openeir have extended the fibre run past where it was due to stop on the maps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

OpenEir have covered certain areas not shown on the map. In Ratoath there is a whole road now included thats not on the map due to an error where they showed the fibre cutting through fields to get to same road, now that the area is done, the whole road has FTTH availability.

If there is a thin wire at the top of the pole above the regular lines and a coil, it does sound like fibre alright. Hopefully FTTH will be with you soon, and if it is, it goes without saying that switching to 150 meg FTTH, no daily cap and saving 5 euros per month in the process is a complete no-brainer!.

You'll be future proofed for life and won't have to worry about Imagine's contention issues arising in your area or the possibility of Imagine abandoning the service in a few years time and relocating a new mast with new technology elsewhere.

Aye I’d be delighted
    I’ve not had as bad an experience with Imagine as others here so far but it’s a no brainer to take ftth
    Again I’ll look closer tomorrow
    The eircode checker tells me I need to email openeir
    Should I do that?

Aye I’d be delighted
    I’ve not had as bad an experience with Imagine as others here so far but it’s a no brainer to take ftth
    Again I’ll look closer tomorrow
    The eircode checker tells me I need to email openeir
    Should I do that?

What exactly was the message given on the checker?

What exactly was the message given on the checker?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide a result for this Eircode. Please email fibrepower@openeir.ie for more information.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide a result for this Eircode. Please email fibrepower@openeir.ie for more information.

I have not come across that before. I suppose there is no harm in contacting them. Definitely keep a watch for the fibre infrastructure though. If there is a distribution point (splice box) within a couple of poles of your home you should be covered. If you were not originally on their maps you may have to be more persistent to get connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just checked with above links , got this,
    "Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."
    take it means "not a hope?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    "Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."

It means whenever they get their act together in 2020-2025. Either that or find an alternative provider.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Enter your Eircode on:

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)

and

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Even if you fail both of those, I have seen myself and others have posted where Openeir have extended the fibre run past where it was due to stop on the maps.

How far past do you know. As my neighbours are getting it but it will not come as far as my house.

Also does anybody know who I can contact to ask if they will extend the cable as there are six house's near my house so it may be worth their while to extend it.

How far past do you know. As my neighbours are getting it but it will not come as far as my house.

Also does anybody know who I can contact to ask if they will extend the cable as there are six house's near my house so it may be worth their while to extend it.

The one I have personally seen they went four overhead poles plus one underground section past the endpoint on the map. This was for one home which has now got a distribution point outside it on a pole. However the house is still failing all Eircode checks despite the entire area being live and I suspect the occupants have no idea there may be broadband available.

The poster frozenfrozen posted about them extending it by 350M in their area.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104262857&postcount=7116

I'm not sure you can contact anyone about extending it. Why it happens in some areas and not others is a mystery.

Would your neighbours be willing to share the cost of installing ducting or will it all rest on you?

On me unfortunately. One neighbour is very elderly without internet. The other only recently got a wireless provider installed (not imagine). They only use it seldomly and have no interest in changing so it would be a very hard sell.
    I'll still do the neighbourly thing though and add a couple of access boxes to the duct at their gates (provided they aren't too expensive!), in case they ever want to extend it up to their house.

I have looked at Eir's rural fibre broadband rollout website and map. It says that my rural road is due to be done in the second half of this year (2018). The colour of the line going past my house is yellow. It also says that houses with the yellow line will have a 90 to 95% chance of having close to 1,000 Mbps (1 Gbps).

Is that what people who on roads with those yellow line designations and who have already have had Eir Fibre broadband installed are experiencing (getting) - close to 1,000 Mbps?

Goreme wrote: »
    Is that what people who on roads with those yellow line designations and who have already have had Eir Fibre broadband installed are experiencing (getting) - close to 1,000 Mbps?

It's fiber optic. There are no issues, like there is with copper / dsl. So in theory, the fiber run can provide any speed, depending on technology. 10 Gbit/s technology is already being tested on the same fiber cabling.

The reason it says "close to 1000 Mbps" is more than likely to prevent people to ring in, when they speedtest after getting the GigE package, and then complain, that they're only seeing like 870 or 920 Mbit/s because their computer can't process any more in one go.

There's obviously also a contention factor, that'll be more visible on a GigE connection opposed to a 150 or 300 Mbit/s connection.

/M

Thanks
    Marlow wrote: »

It's fiber optic. There are no issues, like there is with copper / dsl. So in theory, the fiber run can provide any speed, depending on technology. 10 Gbit/s technology is already being tested on the same fiber cabling.

The reason it says "close to 1000 Mbps" is more than likely to prevent people to ring in, when they speedtest after getting the GigE package, and then complain, that they're only seeing like 870 or 920 Mbit/s because their computer can't process any more in one go.

There's obviously also a contention factor, that'll be more visible on a GigE connection opposed to a 150 or 300 Mbit/s connection.

/M
    Thanks Marlow. So does anyone know what typical speeds are people seeing who are on those "yellow line" installation roads after installation?

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    Thanks Marlow. So does anyone know what typical speeds are people seeing who are on those "yellow line" installation roads after installation?

Follow this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489

Plenty of people posting their speedtests as they get installed.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

"Not considered commercial by operators". .... What a joke. I count 14 houses within a 1 km distance of my house that are being ignored by eir. That's some amount of business to turn down. There newer blue line rollout stops around 150mtrs from my gate

Advertisement