Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

all very interesting discussion and i'm in the same boat and all but please continue the FTTH chat in the appropriate thread...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057499489

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Unfortunately we are unable to provide a result for this Eircode. Please email fibrepower@openeir.ie for more information.

You are out of PM storage space George Sunsnow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

I chanced my arm and emailed that ftth address.
    I'm about 500m from the where the blue lines end.

Here's reply.
    Thank you for your email.

The plan that you will be included in is the National Broadband Plan.

The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included.

By definition, our commercial rollout cannot not reach all the homes and businesses in the area. While the boundary of the rollout may appear arbitrary, in fact the network rollout is based on the best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan.

Under this scheme the Government intends to intervene in non-commercial areas of the market to ensure through State subsidy that all premises in the country will receive high-speed broadband regardless of location. Open eir is participating in the NBP bid process and is one of two bidders shortlisted for the tender which is expected to be awarded in 2018.

The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment expect the NBP network roll-out to be completed by 2022.

Please visit the below website to learn more about the NBP and to keep updated on the programme’s progress.

www.dccae.gov.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Translation

Eir has no incentive to go outside the areas they have picked using their own money because the government will be paying them to do it and they’ll still get the subs

The little tail successfully wagged the doggy on this one

Just had a brief read of this document.

This objective is interesting to people currently using Imagine with no other option:
    - Every home and business to have access to high speed broadband with a choice of service providers.

NBP_Objectiveas.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

rodge123 wrote: »
    Just had a brief read of this document.

This objective is interesting to people currently using Imagine with no other option:
    - Every home and business to have access to high speed broadband with a choice of service providers.

NBP_Objectiveas.png

Well. The document outlines, that the network bidding for the NBP must be operated in a fashion, where other operators can provide to the end customer.

That's the reason why for example Imagine and Virgin never were on the table. They don't allow other providers to use their infrastructure.

While OpenEIR, SIRO and e-Net are open access networks.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Well. The document outlines, that the network bidding for the NBP must be operated in a fashion, where other operators can provide to the end customer.

That's the reason why for example Imagine and Virgin never were on the table. They don't allow other providers to use their infrastructure.

While OpenEIR, SIRO and e-Net are open access networks.

/M

So I suppose the question then becomes...

If imagine somehow manage to Weasel areas they cover commercially out of the nbp intervention areas, where does that leave customers stuck with only one option i.e. Imagine

Can the goverment intervene if they believe customers in this area will have no other options and the only commercial operator does not allow wholesale access to their network.

rodge123 wrote: »
    So I suppose the question then becomes...

If imagine somehow manage to Weasel areas they cover commercially out of the nbp intervention areas, where does that leave customers stuck with only one option i.e. Imagine

Can the goverment intervene if they believe customers in this area will have no other options and the only commercial operator does not allow wholesale access to their network.

They can't. Like any other private (smaller or larger operator), them covering an area doesn't take it out of the NBP. Their network is not open access. And they're not in the bidding process for the NBP.

OpenEIR "weaseled" the 300k out of the NBP by making contracts to supply these on their own accord and to commit to do this. If they don't, it'll be a fine.

So, if Imagine wanted to archive the same, they'd need to contractually agree to do the same .. as in guaranteeing a minimum speed of 30 Mbit/s for these areas, guaranteeing coverage and that they'd cover every household and open their network up for others to wholesale.

That's the exact same reason, why Virgin isn't considered either.

Imagine wouldn't have the infrastructure to do this. Virgin might, but aren't even interested. Small potato.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

So almost one year in with Imagine and what started so great is now worse than it ever was with Eir. Speeds are terrible, consistency is shocking. Anyone else noticed a major drop in speed since Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

vanman99 wrote:
    So almost one year in with Imagine and what started so great is now worse than it ever was with Eir. Speeds are terrible, consistency is shocking. Anyone else noticed a major drop in speed since Christmas?

Only have Imagine a week but already at peak times speed will suddenly drop for an hour or two. Not even able to open a webpage.

• Advertisement

vanman99 wrote: »

Yes 160 Mb in the daytime(what use is that when I’m not using it then
    1 to 5 mb in the evening at times since Christmas
    It’s not contention,it’s something else as right now on a Sunday it’s 50 and it does do 20’s and 30’s a lot of the time in the evening
    It dropped to an outrageous 1Mb last week at 10 pm (not a throttle.only 1 gig of 20 used)

If what they offer me going forward in the evening is 10Mb or less I’ll be moving to whizzy,same speed,unlimited and half the price
    My 18 mths contract is up
    So I do have options
    They fix it or they are at the loss of €720 a year from me

Yes 160 Mb in the daytime(what use is that when I’m not using it then
    1 to 5 mb in the evening at times since Christmas
    It’s not contention,it’s something else as right now on a Sunday it’s 50 and it does do 20’s and 30’s a lot of the time in the evening
    It dropped to an outrageous 1Mb last week at 10 pm

That sounds very much like contention though. With 400 customers on a mast, you'd need at least a few Gbit/s bandwidth if you're selling what Imagine does.

And yes, you'd see the full speed during daytime. Even if they only have like 600 Mbit/s on site (which is the norm with a full-duplex licensed link)

Weekend speeds during daytime being lower also makes sense. Weekends are a completely different usage pattern.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know much about how they deliver the service but I am thinking they are wireless to the home and then at the tower connect to the phone line. I could be wrong though. If they upgraded the line to the fibre will there be speed increases or is it the wireless that has the limitations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

vanman99 wrote: »

Yep, I'm with them 18+ months and since Christmas this year, it's been pretty terrible. It used to be ok in the evening but I'm lucky to see 10 mb on a good day.

I don't know much about how they deliver the service but I am thinking they are wireless to the home and then at the tower connect to the phone line. I could be wrong though. If they upgraded the line to the fibre will there be speed increases or is it the wireless that has the limitations?

The majority of masts in Ireland have no fiber. So the only choice to haul bandwidth in to them is via licensed microwave, which doesn't scale that well.

A normal 11 or 13 GHz link for example is 250-300 Mbit/s. Dual-polarity then 500-600 Mbit/s. You can only achieve faster speeds by multiplying links (costs a license every year and the cost of another dish per tower and mast-space per year).

Even OpenEIR runs a lot of rural NGN infrastructure on microwave opposed to fiber.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Has to be contention IMO.....23mb around 1pm today.... Now 3 - 5 mb.... Netflix is barely watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Has to be contention IMO.....23mb around 1pm today.... Now 3 - 5 mb.... Netflix is barely watchable

Exactly the same here, 2mb in evening, 70mb during the weekdays. On the Athy mast.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2444006592

That’s my current speed over 5G WiFi :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2444006592

That’s my current speed over 5G WiFi :rolleyes:

Great speed, however I think Imagine really need to look at their network and offer a stable 70, rather than 160 in the morning and 5 in the evening.

Did you find out if the OpenEir work outside your home is going to be FTTH for your address?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Great speed, however I think Imagine really need to look at their network and offer a stable 70, rather than 160 in the morning and 5 in the evening.

Did you find out if the OpenEir work outside your home is going to be FTTH for your address?

No Dice on open Éir
    My pole is the next one down and they won’t extend it :rolleyes:
    I asked a local T.D who said Eir have no incentive to extend it at their expense when the government will come along in 2 years and pay them to do it

You’d wonder why they wouldn’t do it concurrently
    Of course that might make too much sense

Current speed
    Fair drop but not the worst
    Will post another at 9

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2444603974

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No Dice on open r
    I asked a local T.D who said Eir have no incentive to extend it at their expense when the government will come along in 2 years and pay them to do it

Current speed
    Will post another at 9

that's a pity, was hoping you'd be in luck and getting FTTH over the next few months.

No Dice on open Éir

Current speed
    Will post another at 9

If it's only one more pole, did you suggest to eir or td about paying for the extension out of your own pocket? Would they even entertain it and how many would it cost you

I didn’t look into paying for it but I’d image it would be 1000’s

Here’s the 9pm report

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2444831997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I didn’t look into paying for it but I’d image it would be 1000’s

Here’s the 9pm report

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2444831997

Look into it and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Anyone know why Leitrim, Wicklow, and Offaly have no Imagine sites yet? There are loads of masts in some counties and zero in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone know why Leitrim, Wicklow, and Offaly have no Imagine sites yet? There are loads of masts in some counties and zero in others.

Wicklow does! Im on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

listermint wrote: »
    Wicklow does! Im on one.

I'm talking about the LTE masts now, not their piggybacking on eir's network. The only masts servicing Wicklow (based on their website), are a mast in North Wexford giving connection to Arklow and a small bit of Avoca, and a mast in Kilcullen in Kildare giving connection to Dunlavin and Grangecon. No other areas in Wicklow are covered by the LTE service as per their coverage map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Offaly does east of Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ulrar

Hi,

My phone line got cut, and since eir seems to be taking their time to fix it I was looking at imagine. Anything more than the 5 Mbps I currently get would be good, but the last few posts seem to indicate it's gotten worse than that recently ? Guess I might wait to see if it gets better again ..
    I'm in Mayo, does anyone know if it works okay around here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Ulrar wrote: »
    Hi,

My phone line got cut, and since eir seems to be taking their time to fix it I was looking at imagine. Anything more than the 5 Mbps I currently get would be good, but the last few posts seem to indicate it's gotten worse than that recently ? Guess I might wait to see if it gets better again ..
    I'm in Mayo, does anyone know if it works okay around here ?

I did the same then I couldn't get it as their mast got full.

Advertisement