Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ulrar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in Mayo, does anyone know if it works okay around here ?

Where in Mayo? or what mast would you be looking at?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ulrar

TopTec wrote: »
    Where in Mayo? or what mast would you be looking at?

TT

No idea, how do you find that out ?
    I'm between swinford and foxford.

No idea, how do you find that out ?
    I'm between swinford and foxford.

There is a mast in Swinford..

https://www.imagine.ie/lte-mayo/

I don't know what the subscription to that mast is but I would guess it is not full when you look at contributors locations on the thread. Ring them and see what they say.

There is some contention on the Ballina mast but not as bad as some other places. I have 70+ mbps off peak, 25 - 30mbps peak. Still streets ahead of Eir and cheaper too.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Woefull tonight
    1 to 4 Mb
    And it’s been doing that this past 10 days
    Wierd thing is they don’t have a rash of new customers on this mast (area has mostly ftth!)so it must be their feed,I don’t know

I will be leaving if this continues as my 18 months is up next month
    I’ve popped off an email to them outline this and how I do have alternative wireless providers
    Whizzy for instance doesn’t fall below 5 or 6Mb at night I’m told by those that have it and is half the price

The stopgap honeymoon appears to be over in my area too now and I dont take prisoners
    I just leave when I don’t get what I pay for and Rightly so!

So you don't get as low as other people have been saying ? The 1 to 4 Mb is worrying, that's just not enough to work. The 5 I've been getting through eir is just enough for me.
    I might just keep both eir and something else, but the 18 months contract if it doesn't work well is really what's stopping me. I'm going to try rural wifi for now, since they do offer a 30 day money back, guess it can't hurt.

• Advertisement

So you don't get as low as other people have been saying ?

I have had Imagine since July 2015. Shortly after install I had a paltry 2 meg in the evenings and after a bit of tooing and froing the router was changed to the greenpacket one I have now and I don't think I have ever fallen below 15meg.

Several farmers here, (Bonniconlon), have switched as Eir is so awful, and I have done speed tests on theirs and they get much the same as me. I have just done a test, not on wired and with other stuff running and got 77meg down and 8 up. Yesterday evening, I was getting 35meg down.

Imagines customer service is not good but no worse than Eir's, and the new portal is handy to check your usage.

My advice to you is to trying to find someone locally on imagine and ask what they are getting. I doubt that your Swinford mast is any busier than the Ballina one and if all you are getting is 5 meg on a similar price plane with Eir then I would swap.

TT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Great speed, you were getting generally great speeds all the time up until recently. I think you would be much happier with a stable 50 all day rather than 160 in the morning and 1 to 4 in the evening when you really want to use the internet the most. What's the point in them offering over 100 when the speeds are falling off a cliff during peak times. I would definitely send some reports off to Imagine.

Well unfortunately that's not how bandwidth works, it's not about the total quantity over a day but about how much can go through at a given moment. Peak times will be (much) lower than the rest, but during the rest of the day they might as-well let you go as high as they can, doesn't cost them anything more.

Now clearly it'd be great if they could make sure everyone can get a decent speed during peak times, but I assume no-one is getting 160 during those, if everyone is getting 4 it just means there's too much people at the same time for too little a pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm on the Kilcullen mast and I've noticed since before Christmas that there are brief outages, circa 5 mins but sometimes 10 or more, usually at night after 9 but I had one in the morning yesterday. I say outage as opposed to speed drop because my phone shows an ! beside the wifi signal indicating no Internet. Has anyone experienced similar? I'm not sure how to report this because the connection nearly always reestablishes before I get a chance to call Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

abysmal speeds tonight on the Tralee mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Not just last night , I would say almost every day , starting from 8pm lately .

alec76 wrote: »
    Not just last night , I would say almost every day , starting from 8pm lately .

Generally in the evenings I get a steady 8 - 10Mbps in the evenings which is not great but usable for streaming etc. Last night it was down to about 100Kbps around 10.30 with packets being dropped all over the place.

OK, for the last 3 nights my connection has died stone dead between 10 and 11PM. I included a tracert below. Packets dropped everywhere and up to 4 seconds lag between hops. At 11PM on the dot it was back up to over 18Mbps.

tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.1
    2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.15.1
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 3956 ms * 3474 ms CK05-01.ge-0-0-1-17.rtr.imagine.ie [89.127.192.1]
    5 3532 ms * 3986 ms DN07-ae1-7-ibis-gw-2.irishbroadband.ie [89.127.192.114]
    6 * 3732 ms 2893 ms inex2.google.com [194.88.240.55]
    7 2252 ms * * 216.239.43.3
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * 3836 ms * google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    12 3592 ms 3878 ms 3199 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭vidapura

Absolute ****e here in Oranmore tonight... under 4 megs..
    I was trying to win stuff on the saorview page an all....

Soon as Eir come calling I'm gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

vidapura wrote: »

Most of Oranmore is VDSL/FTTC territory, so won't see FTTH and most of the areas outside of Oranmore are already FTTH enabled.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

vidapura wrote: »
    Absolute ****e here in Oranmore tonight... under 4 megs..
    I was trying to win stuff on the saorview page an all....

it's beginning to sound like Imagine's network is starting to cause issues on a more widespread scale, bucking under the strain of contention. I haven't read a positive comment about Imagine here in quite some time and everyone now seems to be having issues in the evening till about 11pm. This is really beginning to sound like Imagine's Wimax service problems all over again. Everyone here who is experiencing these issues in the evening should be firing off emails to Imagine and proof that the network is choked during peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm still ok
    Touch wood!

People generally only post when there are problems so said I would !
    I can't go back to ****e internet. I'll cry........

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's beginning to sound like Imagine's network is starting to cause issues on a more widespread scale, bucking under the strain of contention. I haven't read a positive comment about Imagine here in quite some time and everyone now seems to be having issues in the evening till about 11pm. This is really beginning to sound like Imagine's Wimax service problems all over again. Everyone here who is experiencing these issues in the evening should be firing off emails to Imagine and proof that the network is choked during peak times.

Their network graphs would show it internally just fine. I suspect the monthly financial KPI graphs are more interesting to them though.

I wonder is all of this connected to the 3.6GHz new licencing scheme, with much less spectrum available in many places? They've had to re-channel the whole network.

Does anyone know when the transitional licences are up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

This point exactly....and if you are in any way motivated to ensure you are not constantly having these issues for the next 20 years - email Comreg and the Department of Communications with proof of your peak hour speed tests.

Otherwise, there is the outside chance Imagine will convince government that their LTE service will do just fine instead of FTTH in NBP.
    A read of recent threads on NBP thread is not pretty reading with government minsters now sounding fairly gloomy!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105951359&postcount=3406

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Have never seen lower than 30mbps in the evening, goes to about 80mbps at night or in the mornings. So there you go, a positive comment. Imagine still providing a service far greater than the **** Eir was giving us and will give us for some time with no FTTH or even FTTC in site...

That means that there aren't many subscribers on your mast. As customers go up, speed goes down unfortunately.

And of course as people move over to FTTH and FTTC there should be less contention on the masts.

Looks like I am one of those who will never get FTTH so am rooting for those that will get it sooner.

TT

roddy15 wrote: »
    Have never seen lower than 30mbps in the evening, goes to about 80mbps at night or in the mornings. So there you go, a positive comment. Imagine still providing a service far greater than the **** Eir was giving us and will give us for some time with no FTTH or even FTTC in site...
    I’m getting up to 170mbps in the daytime
    Yes up to 170
    Down to 3 or 4 at times from 5 pm to 11pm
    At 11pm like a rocket again
    Go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I’m getting up to 170mbps in the daytime
    Yes up to 170
    Down to 3 or 4 at times from 5 pm to 11pm
    At 11pm like a rocket again
    Go figure

Lucky you :)

I'm with them almost two years and for the last few months, I am lucky to see 10mbps in the evening or at the weekend.

: o

No real satisfactory response from them im never going to get ftth where I live so it's just a situation of being stuck with it and they probably know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

There does seem to be an increase in number of people complaing here about getting poor evening speeds since the new year.

I've been getting average 8Mb download for last year in evenings, engineer admitted to me that they had too many people on mast.
    Speeds the last week have dropped to around 6Mb and only 4Mb tonight.

One of two things I reckon:
    - the recent spectrum changes
    - they know they are goosed by nbp within next few years and have decided to milk as much profit until this puts them outta business, therefore are actually taking on more customers to masts that should be closed to new customers. Maybe they have failed in their bid to get that 200million investment because the possible funders knew it was a dodgy investment in wireless tech when fibre was coming to all rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Their engineers came last Friday, they tested the speed, it was 40mbps at 1:00 pm, I declined as I put a figure of 50mbps as the minimum I would accept. I feel sad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

rodge123 wrote: »
    There does seem to be an increase in number of people complaing here about getting poor evening speeds since the new year.

I've been getting average 8Mb download for last year in evenings, engineer admitted to me that they had too many people on mast.
    Speeds the last week have dropped to around 6Mb and only 4Mb tonight.

One of two things I reckon:
    - the recent spectrum changes
    - they know they are goosed by nbp within next few years and have decided to milk as much profit until this puts them outta business, therefore are actually taking on more customers to masts that should be closed to new customers. Maybe they have failed in their bid to get that 200million investment because the possible funders knew it was a dodgy investment in wireless tech when fibre was coming to all rural areas

Except at the rate the NBP is going at and the disaster it is fibre is not coming to all rural areas. At the rate that is all going Imagine could easily expect another decade of being able to serve those being ****ed by their wireless tech and the government's inability to actually get work done that would actually give thousands of people an actual option instead of Imagine...

roddy15 wrote: »
    Except at the rate the NBP is going at and the disaster it is fibre is not coming to all rural areas. At the rate that is all going Imagine could easily expect another decade of being able to serve those being ****ed by their wireless tech and the government's inability to actually get work done that would actually give thousands of people an actual option instead of Imagine...

up to 6 months ago I felt the writing was on the wall for Imagine's wireless service after 2020. Siro, Eir and Enet were in the running for the NBP contract. Eir's 300k was gaining momentum and things were starting to look like they might actually work out for the majority of rural Ireland in the medium to long term.

The past 3 months has seen some very negative signs. Siro resigned from the NBP a few months ago and there is a rumour that Enet is about to pull the plug as well, which would just leave Eir as the soul bidders.
    See original post here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105957356&postcount=3420

Eir itself is heading towards a new management structure which clearly wants to focus back on urban areas. There is a rumour that Eir are taking away 20,000 premises in the most rural locations from their 300k rollout and replacing them with 20,000 premises from easy urban fringe areas. See original post here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105957390&postcount=9590

Also some very negative comments about the NBP suggesting more delays
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2018-01-24a.165&s=national+broadband+plan#g228

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2018-01-24a.290&s=national+broadband+plan#g293

This comment from Naughten is particularly worrying.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105955310&postcount=3415

All these recent events suggest to me that Imagine could potentially hold control of their current coverage spots for a long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

This comment from Naughten is particularly worrying.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105955310&postcount=3415
    I thought that is what is going to happen
    Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Probably while eir is finishing the 300K, he will go behind Imagine with bells and drums to supply more premises on commercial grounds, and that gives him something to talk about and take more free credit.

Advertisement