Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads this has probably been asked somewhere in the 6000 odd posts but do imagine provide a fixed IP ?

Yes
    You just need to call up and ask

Meanwhile here’s the lunchtime Speedtest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yes
    You just need to call up and ask

Meanwhile here’s the lunchtime Speedtest

How far are you from the mast ?

I'm about 15KM and see a max of about 45Meg - think I'd be doing well to get anything more...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Good to see the mast fixed. After yesterday's devastating news, the reality is now Imagine have a long future ahead of them.

They are now in a far more comfortable position than they were after losing the NBP about a year ago. Imagine need to now step up their game and fix problems with connections/masts as quickly as possible and work on keeping customers satisfied.

It's entirely possible that Imagine could find themselves back in the NBP game at some point, especially if Enet do end up pulling out. There has never been a better time than now for Imagine to start proving that their network is up to the task, but first they really need to fix these speed issues that many people are still experiencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey guys/ladies/mods

Mods would it be ok to have an Imagine speed test thread containing test,mast,time of day only and no chat ? I know we have the generic speed test one but given the issues with imagine it might be an easily searched resource for people before making the move on Imagine ?

just a thought.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    How far are you from the mast ?

I'm about 15KM and see a max of about 45Meg - think I'd be doing well to get anything more...

6 kms and I can see it
    Full signal on the router
    It’s a gemtek
    See attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

6 kms and I can see it
    It’s a gemtek
    See attached
    Nice you can see the signal - I have a greenpacket and it doesn't show signal (I think not anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

6 kms and I can see it
    It’s a gemtek
    See attached

The same one we were given. Because of trees impacting LOS during the summer or really stormy days our signal drops one light from full though honestly don't really see too much impact on speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

A Laughable and infuriating email from them, blaming everything except their actual network!!!

Notice they have 5GLTE at bottom of email too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

rodge123 wrote: »
    A Laughable and infuriating email from them, blaming everything except their actual network!!!

Notice they have 5GLTE at bottom of email too!

It would be handy alright if we could see that part.

It would be handy alright if we could see that part.

There ya go boss man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mimah_3_16

Big drop off in Kilduff mast in Tipperary - anyone else in this mast? 10Mb down and 1.5Mb up...

Have service since December and has been good but notice a drop off last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

Getting this in the Claregalway Area same as every night FTTH is coming to us soon bye bye Imagine
    7021435400.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mimah_3_16

Just as I'm finished up for the night, speeds improves to 44Mb down and 5Mb up. Not much use at this hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 belleLabs

Claregalway to Waterford ? Whose network are you going over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    you do know now the Speedtest site works? it selects the fastest server first then runs the test

That's not quite right. It selects the servers at random at best.

More than often their choice is rather rubbish.

You should always test about 2-3 different servers. You never know, what sort of bandwidth or infrastructure any one server has. And servers with 10gig interface aren't very common. Most of'em only have GigE or less. (Blacknight/Carlow and Airwire/Galway are 10gig for sure).

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I tend to use http://fast.com which is hosted by Netflix so a good real-world test.
    Only measures download though.

On my equipment Speedtest always selects the nearest server
    That used be whizzy in Gorey but they’re not hosting anymore
    Lately it’s carlow it chooses mostly or strencom in Dublin

Thanks for that good to know, always learning new things, testmy.net is a good one too you can do autotest on it to run let's say for an hour every 10 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Thanks for that good to know, always learning new things, testmy.net is a good one too you can do autotest on it to run let's say for an hour every 10 mins or so.

Nice way to slow down service for all of your neighbours.

You do realise that a speed test is a packet flood that fills up the pipe, which in this case is a shared medium?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭vidapura

9726_9726 wrote: »

Shur tis the neighbours dats causin the problem!!!

LOL :):) Only jokin...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You do realise that a speed test is a packet flood that fills up the pipe, which in this case is a shared medium?

I wouldn't worry about it. he's just hitting his cap earlier. With a bit enough pipe, you can quickly ramp up 10 GB data usage in speedtests. Only takes 5 minutes on for example Gbit FTTH :)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. he's just hitting his cap earlier. With a bit enough pipe, you can quickly ramp up 10 GB data usage in speedtests. Only takes 5 minutes on for example Gbit FTTH :)

/M

Yes, this is true. If he's running speed tests all the time, the cap will kick in and probably before peak time, so happy days for the neighbours.

Evening tests still only a min of 40 to 50 here
    So the big improvement is maintaining itself
    Lots of 140 to 170 in the daytime which is handy when needed I suppose

Leaving is postponed if this keeps up :)

Yes, this is true. If he's running speed tests all the time, the cap will kick in and probably before peak time, so happy days for the neighbours.
    I do not run speed test all the time

Evening tests still only a min of 40 to 50 here
    So the big improvement is maintaining itself
    Lots of 140 to 170 in the daytime which is handy when needed I suppose

Leaving is postponed if this keeps up :)

And that’s you and everyone around you removed from nbp intervention area if those speeds are maintained I’d imagine!
    Naughten will lap this lap s&*£ up and try turn it into PR positive claiming nbp has resulted in more commercial investedment therefore removing more area from intervention area.
    At this stage I think he’ll be happy to get anything in even if it means short term gain for long term pain just so he doesn’t look like a complete failure in office.

Usual rubbish evening speeds on cappagh mast in north kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

So I did fast.com and testmy.net tests, surprise all three test sites give basically the same results.

vx9jeyMuf.v1Oi4y80l.png

7024835894.png

And then the fast.com result was 63Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I am helping a farmer relocate his router which means extending his Cat5 cable. Rather than mess about I am going to use new. This means disconnecting from the signal receiver for a short time. Does anyone know whether this will require some sort of reset from Imagine to reconnect the signal? They were asked to come and extend but refused.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    I am helping a farmer relocate his router which means extending his Cat5 cable. Rather than mess about I am going to use new. This means disconnecting from the signal receiver for a short time. Does anyone know whether this will require some sort of reset from Imagine to reconnect the signal? They were asked to come and extend but refused.

TT

No, it will just come back. Don't tell them you've messed with their installation, or they'll never give support again (rightly). Use outdoor rated black cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Anyone using Imagine in Wexford off the Forth Mountain tower? If so what kind of speeds shoul I expect, I am in the Piercestown / Killinick area.

Advertisement