Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Depends which mast

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

TopTec wrote: »
    Depends which mast

TT

In mayo outside Castlebar. Does any one have the map of where the masts are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

The mast locations are on the Imagine website/facebook page.

https://www.imagine.ie/lte-mayo/

You should get on fairly quickly especially as Castlebar is one of the early adopters for fibre in Mayo so less business for Imagine.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

No connection on Athy mast at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

No connection on Athy mast at the moment

They had issues earlier today. Actually got a text from them letting me know there were issues....that was a first...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Getting installed tomorrow. Currently getting less than 1mbps with Sky. Copper wire, which can handle a max of three so this is a last resort option until the NBP kicks in. Located in Cork, near the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You get 1Mb near Cork city. I get 2.5Mb and I live out in the sticks.

You get 1Mb near Cork city. I get 2.5Mb and I live out in the sticks.

Yup. Live literally 5 minutes car drive from the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Average speeds over the past 30 days by hour of the day.
    I must admit, I've been very impressed lately with the service. I still don't think it's a long term solution but I have no complaints at all at the moment.
    If anyone wants the data behind the chart, I can supply it.

446573.png

Couldn’t install. Getting 16mbps off the Whitechurch mast, they wouldn’t install. 30+ off Bweeng but its full.... have no other options now. 0.8mbps for the next year or two.

• Advertisement

Imagine came and swapped out my old gear for Gemtek stuff.
    Difference is incredible. Speeds are now always ~10-15mbps during peak times. And for the first time ever I am seeing daytime speeds in excess of 80-90mbps.

Latency issues in gaming is gone and everything is running great. Their old Greenpacket gear really must've been **** if this Gemtek stuff has made all my problems go away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Gooser14

What's the Three mobile signal like in your area. If it's good then you could try their 750 GB @ Eur 30 per month. If you purchase the modem online you can return it within 14 days if it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Three is getting worse by the day
    7174007265.png

Gooser14 wrote: »
    What's the Three mobile signal like in your area. If it's good then you could try their 750 GB @ Eur 30 per month. If you purchase the modem online you can return it within 14 days if it doesn't work.

We're getting the Vodafone bundle. Heard nothing but bad things about 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Three is getting worse by the day
    7174007265.png

The new 750GB cap packages not helping contention.
    Mahony0509 wrote: »
    We're getting the Vodafone bundle. Heard nothing but bad things about 3.

24 month contract is no joke. And Vodafone has no reduced buyout.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    24 month contract is no joke. And Vodafone has no reduced buyout.

/M
    What's the buyout price for the contract? Also what sort of speeds do 3 average in Cork? Near the city.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    What's the buyout price for the contract?

Some providers offer a reduced price, if you want to cancel the contract early.

Vodafone doesn't. You have to pay full price for the entire period, as far as I know.

Knowing that and not knowing what their signal and contention is like, I wouldn't commit to 24 months.

And I'd definatly check their signal first, where you want to use it. I find their coverage for anything H+ and 4G rather patchy.

24 months is a lot of time to be stuck in a contract. Especially, when the price goes up after 6 months.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Difference is incredible. Speeds are now always ~10-15mbps during peak times. And for the first time ever I am seeing daytime speeds in excess of 80-90mbps.

Latency issues in gaming is gone and everything is running great. Their old Greenpacket gear really must've been **** if this Gemtek stuff has made all my problems go away!
    Just the router or the whole antenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mehtasumit

I think bridge mode is not safe to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks for registering just to say that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what did ye have to do to get them to swap out the Greenpacket gear?
    Whats latency like now on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Hollyford mast gone to ****. Not solely an Imagine issue as the connection on Three is pretty much exactly the same speed. How is this supposed to be a suitable replacement for the NBP when they can't even have the masts give consistent output to networks on them regardless of how wet it is?

roddy15 wrote: »
    Hollyford mast gone to ****. Not solely an Imagine issue as the connection on Three is pretty much exactly the same speed. How is this supposed to be a suitable replacement for the NBP when they can't even have the masts give consistent output to networks on them regardless of how wet it is?

One doesn't have to do with the other. Different transmitter, different network, different backhaul .... even different fequency. Even if they're on the same mast.

Obviously both networks overloaded to the max.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Marlow wrote: »
    One doesn't have to do with the other. Different transmitter, different network, different backhaul .... even different fequency. Even if they're on the same mast.

Obviously both networks overloaded to the max.

/M

That's my point though, how is wireless broadband "the future" according to places like The Irish Times when it can't cope like it can't right now. Tonight is just a textbook example of how it is utterly ridiculous how the CEOs of places like Imagine or Three can waltz along and claim what they are offering is a suitable substitute for fiber. This is probably best discussed on the NBP thread but Imagine are one of the companies touting wireless broadband as a solution.

roddy15 wrote: »
    That's my point though, how is wireless broadband "the future" according to places like The Irish Times when it can't cope like it can't right now.

It isn't. It isn't scalable. 5G will need a transmitter every 300-500m, so will less than likely ever see a rural build-out. The current 4G scenarios are the end of the line for rural connectivity.

Wireless can deliver todays demands .. IF the provider doesn't oversubscribe to f***. And even a good few years onwards. It can't scale the same as lets say fiber.

/M

smokingman wrote: »
    Just the router or the whole antenna?

The whole lot, router + antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Weses

My internet keeps shutting down completely after 15 mins when playing any video game. The ethernet light and wifi go off entirely and every device says there's no router even plugged in until I turn it off and back on. What could be wrong? It's fine until I start any singleplayer/multiplayer game. Is it the router? Possibly a virus? This is getting REALLY annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Weses wrote: »
    My internet keeps shutting down completely after 15 mins when playing any video game. The ethernet light and wifi go off entirely and every device says there's no router even plugged in until I turn it off and back on. What could be wrong? It's fine until I start any singleplayer/multiplayer game. Is it the router? Possibly a virus? This is getting REALLY annoying.
    Sounds like your router is toast. I'd ring support and talk to them and you'll probably need a new router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Do you have Sky Q multi room by any chance? That’s known to sometime cause routers to continually crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Weses

I don't have anything Sky, I'd say the router is dying. I'll have to demand a new router from them tomorrow and see if that works. I hope it's a better one that lasts longer. I've only had this one for a year.

Advertisement