Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

There is noting on twitter but they have posted this on their Facebook page:
    Customer Notice - Imagine network engineers have identified a fault which is affecting a small percentage of customers in differing regional sites. Our engineers are working hard to resolve this fault quickly.

We will keep you updated while this fault is being resolved. Please DM us at any time and we will answer you immediately. We are very sorry for this fault and apologise for the inconvenience it is causing.

"Small percentage of customers" :D

Anyhoo - at least it's some sore of recognition there is an issue, and they are working on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Just in for lunch and it appears to be back working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Anyone else seeing intermittent problems on Cappagh, North Kildare mast this morning?
    Getting random timeouts and some very high pings.

Very frustrating when trying to work from home, lost a half days work last Tuesday due to Imagine network issues too.

Hurrrryyyyyyyy upppppp NBP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi, does anyone know the User name and Password for the routers, I see they've changed them and I need to set up a few repeaters....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Yeah, they've changed mine from the default one for the router so I've been locked out. I mean I kind of don't get it myself, I've poked around there plenty of times. If the customer is confident enough in themselves to change settings just let them off.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

See attached file. Crazy ping times and jitter but speeds fine. Been like this for the last week and its the middle of the day :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Has anyone gotten a usage alert recently?

I've been with Imagine about 10 months now and in the 1st few months I'd get the 15Gb alert fairly regularly , maybe 2-3 times a week and once or twice hit the 20Gb limit for a given day.

However since they took the online usage tool offline several months ago I haven't gotten any kind of alerts or warnings.

My usage certainly hasn't decreased (if anything it has increased recently with 2 teenagers at home all day on Xbox/Netflix etc.) but I'm getting no alerts.

Are they no longer keeping track of the 20Gb daily limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a usage alert recently?

I've been with Imagine about 10 months now and in the 1st few months I'd get the 15Gb alert fairly regularly , maybe 2-3 times a week and once or twice hit the 20Gb limit for a given day.

However since they took the online usage tool offline several months ago I haven't gotten any kind of alerts or warnings.

My usage certainly hasn't decreased (if anything it has increased recently with 2 teenagers at home all day on Xbox/Netflix etc.) but I'm getting no alerts.

Are they no longer keeping track of the 20Gb daily limit?

They haven't been tracking our usage since about a month or two after we got them so not sure what's the story. I try not to abuse such privileges though because then you'll find someday it's magically taken away from you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I Finally after two months got 1gb FTTH installed today. You can't miss the DP' on all the poles nearby for 3 miles. Cycling out my estate and who do i see climbing up a ladder in between two of these poles?. A guy in dark blue clothing putting up a imagine 70mb sign :D DP affixed metres away.

Targetting customers who can avail of a superior service but are too stupid to know what's available (cheaper depending on package) adding more contention for the rest of their customers.

They should really be called out on it tbh. I'd get if it was advertised on a N or R road for customers 3+ miles away but this was on a L road. Most likely to be seen by only locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They should be called out on advertising a service?

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    They should be called out on advertising a service?

Advertising in an area fully covered by FTTH on local backroads where its only going to be seen by gullible locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Advertising in an area fully covered by FTTH on local backroads where its only going to be seen by gullible locals.
    Oh, they should be pulled up on advertising in places where the advertising is most effective?

Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

My 18 months are nearly up and still going really really well
    Surpassed all my expectations
    I can not even go back to the likes of 3
    I'd cy :(

Passing through Bouladuff on my way to Thurles. Lol. Imagine LTE truck in the area advertising. Note there's DPs all the way between Borrisoleigh- Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Passing through Bouladuff on my way to Thurles. Lol. Imagine LTE truck in the area advertising. Note there's DPs all the way between Borrisoleigh- Thurles

I have FTTH available in my area but it's a €2000+ outlay to get it to my home due to ancillary works required so I'm sticking with Imagine for now (50+mbps at peak, up to 180mbps off peak).
    To say that they shouldn't advertise in an area that has a better service is a bit short sighted.

It's up to Eir to win their own business.

d31b0y wrote: »
    I have FTTH available in my area but it's a €2000+ outlay to get it to my home due to ancillary works required so I'm sticking with Imagine for now (50+mbps at peak, up to 180mbps off peak).
    To say that they shouldn't advertise in an area that has a better service is a bit short sighted.

You wouldn't be the majority of installs though. By advertising in your area they're pulling in customers that otherwise could be served by eircom increasing the contention you'll suffer from. Either they try sign up these customers and increase the number of cells on the mast or they target the areas they claim to cater for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

That's very good speed - how far are you from the mast ?

About 3km, I think. Yeah - I am very pleased with it.
    Here is my average over the last 7 days.
    https://i.imgur.com/EqNoEbW.png
    You wouldn't be the majority of installs though. By advertising in your area they're pulling in customers that otherwise could be served by eircom increasing the contention you'll suffer from. Either they try sign up these customers and increase the number of cells on the mast or they target the areas they claim to cater for.
    I disagree.
    I don't think I would necessarily be in the minority of the installs either, particularly in rural areas.
    Without those other customers in my area, Imagine would pull out entirely and I'd be even more screwed.
    Contention exists on FTTH too. Sure you probably won't ever be affected by it, but it's there.
    It's not clear to me what you are trying to say with the last line so I'll refrain from commenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

About 3km, I think. Yeah - I am very pleased with it.
    Here is my average over the last 7 days.
    https://i.imgur.com/EqNoEbW.png

I disagree.
    I don't think I would necessarily be in the minority of the installs either, particularly in rural areas.
    Without those other customers in my area, Imagine would pull out entirely and I'd be even more screwed.
    Contention exists on FTTH too. Sure you probably won't ever be affected by it, but it's there.
    It's not clear to me what you are trying to say with the last line so I'll refrain from commenting.

I would equally disagree because of the nightmare i have had with them, hopefully your line never gets super contested but where i am on some days the line speed drops as low as 6 during peak hours.

I find if you don't keep a close eye on them and complain when they tank your service they will keep it low.

I think what he is saying is that Imagine have styled themselves as a rural supplier but they are selling into urban areas and eating up the bandwidth on the items they are selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I Finally after two months got 1gb FTTH installed today. You can't miss the DP' on all the poles nearby for 3 miles. Cycling out my estate and who do i see climbing up a ladder in between two of these poles?. A guy in dark blue clothing putting up a imagine 70mb sign :D DP affixed metres away.

Smart thinking , some of the locals would think , DPs are the part of Imagine network ( well ,Imagine is the Fiber too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think what he is saying is that Imagine have styled themselves as a rural supplier but they are selling into urban areas and eating up the bandwidth on the items they are selling.

Their rural approach is only in recent times.

You have to remember, that Imagine only started out as Eircom resale selling bitstream DSL all being brought back to their main office in Dublin. Their main market was phone services. Gaelic Telecom is one of their brands.

They then bought Irish Broadband aka IBB. Who was 100% urban fixed wireless with Ripwave ... as bad as Imagines service overall is these days and Breeze, which was a truly properly managed service with very little contention, no limits, fixed ip and a superior support. Those days unfortunately are gone within what was IBB, since they got bought.

So the rural service they provide these days is based on the IBB infrastructure and team that they aquired.

The issue they have is, that they can't get enough bandwidth into the rural areas, they want to serve. But they also don't put a stop to sales, when the sector is full bandwidth wise. So it becomes an unmanaged service like mobile products.

/M

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would equally disagree because of the nightmare i have had with them, hopefully your line never gets super contested but where i am on some days the line speed drops as low as 6 during peak hours.

I find if you don't keep a close eye on them and complain when they tank your service they will keep it low.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend Imagine unless you had no other real option.

I just think they should be allowed advertise in areas where they supply their service without being scrutinised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend Imagine unless you had no other real option.

I just think they should be allowed advertise in areas where they supply their service without being scrutinised.

Why ? Its up to individuals to look at what their buying.

Babying everyone in this country tbh.

Its like outage for no reason.

What?

I just said I wouldn't recommend them. How is that babying anyone?
    Maybe you are just quoted me in a general manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

listermint wrote: »
    Why ? Its up to individuals to look at what their buying.

Babying everyone in this country tbh.

Its like outage for no reason.

They advertise speeds of minimum 30Mb in some areas, when the realistic speeds can be 3 - 5 mb a lot of the time.

That's unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They advertise speeds of minimum 30Mb in some areas, when the realistic speeds can be 3 - 5 mb a lot of the time.

That's unacceptable.

Next time you see a sign or an advertisement, that says minimum 30 Mbit/s, please take a picture.

Because all I'll see is the signs that promise up to 70 Mbit/s and suggest "Fiber like".

Either way should be regulated by advertising standards, which are non-existant in Ireland.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Haldane

vanman99 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know the User name and Password for the routers, I see they've changed them and I need to set up a few repeaters....

Any luck in getting the password, even for the user account

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Imagine LTE rural broadband is very expensive, I'm with them over a year now, and when the €60 is not there for them they will shut you off after 24 hours. But we'll keep an eye out for cheaper deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

We tried to get Imagine LTE in our new place in rural Meath to no avail.

We are moving in to the property and now trying to find an alternative. I know you poor unfortunate rural folk may be able to advise me! The only networks we get signal with are Eir and Vodafone and it's dodgy at times. There are parts of the house and outside you can make phone calls no problem but one step sideways and we have no service!

Anyway after much research I'm close to making a call on three products to help us. The first is this booster for voice only - https://retail.novatel.ie/consumer-s...z-gsm-repeater

And the second for data these two - https://trade.novatel.ie/lte-gsm/9db...antenna-xpol-2

https://trade.novatel.ie/mobile-broa...-4g-lte-router

They don't come cheap but I'm willing to pay if they work. Has anyone any experience of them? Thanks in advance folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Links don't work.

Advertisement