Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We tried to get Imagine LTE in our new place in rural Meath to no avail.

We are moving in to the property and now trying to find an alternative. I know you poor unfortunate rural folk may be able to advise me! The only networks we get signal with are Eir and Vodafone and it's dodgy at times. There are parts of the house and outside you can make phone calls no problem but one step sideways and we have no service!

Anyway after much research I'm close to making a call on three products to help us. The first is this booster for voice only - https://retail.novatel.ie/consumer-s...z-gsm-repeater

And the second for data these two - https://trade.novatel.ie/lte-gsm/9db...antenna-xpol-2

https://trade.novatel.ie/mobile-broa...-4g-lte-router

They don't come cheap but I'm willing to pay if they work. Has anyone any experience of them? Thanks in advance folks.

Posting the same thing in multiple places is not allowed on boards, you have your own thread no need for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I use 2 of these they work with huawei B525 or B353 from Amazon, I don't know if they are compatible with Vodafone router.
    Go to Vodafone, get their router and sim card, if you have reasonable speed outdoor then buy this antenna or a similar one compatible with their router
    If you are stuck buy unlocked huawei B525 and B353 and put Vodafone sim card in it and connect it to this antenna

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-3G-LTE-External-Antenna-Aerial-for-4GEE-EE-Home-Mobile-Broadband-Router/232554395480?epid=559542088&hash=item3625527758:g:NkkAAOSwP8hTxorE

Poynting
    Product Code: XPOL-2
    XPOL-2 4G/LTE Outdoor Antenna
    Is the same like the one in ebay, but it is heavier and half to one bar stronger, It is directional antenna. I have one and I tried it and stored it, I get one bar more but same speed, if I install it, another hole in the wall.
    They sell it in Amazon.
    Note: if you have no outdoor signal by Vodafone router, then the antenna is no good to you
    If you have no or weak 4G, adjust the router to use 3G only. Still you get useful speed for streaming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0002-Cross-Polarised-Antenna/dp/B00C1DGGKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533306021&sr=8-4&keywords=poynting+4g-xpol-a0001+cross+polarised+4g+omni+lte+antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 4 michael22022

Does anyone have the new username and password for the modems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Haven’t seen any new Imagine site/locations added in a while. Have they expanded their reach much since launch, or have they announced any plans to do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So hows imagne being going these days? its that time again where i consider a move from my 3mbs wireless....still havent been brave enough to make the jump based on this thread.

Question, are the IP's imaging assign static? i have a netgear VPN server id like to still have access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

dashoonage wrote: »
    So hows imagne being going these days? its that time again where i consider a move from my 3mbs wireless....still havent been brave enough to make the jump based on this thread.

Question, are the IP's imaging assign static? i have a netgear VPN server id like to still have access to.

its not half bad, i used to have the same speed as you do now, and i much prefer this service for almost the same price. now we're getting 30mbs in most areas of the house (which is a big house) and under strain the lowest speeds I'm seeing are around 10mb, which is rare. i'm not going to suggest you get it because everyone's situation is different, but it was a must have for us so we did it and dont regret it, although looking to upgrade to eir 300MB plan soon (whenever they get their s**t together and actually come out to do it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You do need to watch them like Hawks though, I half suspect at times where they oversell the bandwidth that they throttle you back to levels below 10MB.

In my first year with them I had to monitor it periodically to make sure I was getting what I paid for. Nothing worse than getting really crap speeds during peak time.

The other thing turning me off them was the 20gb cap a day which isn't an issue for most people but as I play games it was always an issue. Like at one point they stopped you at 15gb and redirected you to a page to say you acknowledged it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

Calhoun wrote: »
    You do need to watch them like Hawks though, I half suspect at times where they oversell the bandwidth that they throttle you back to levels below 10MB.

In my first year with them I had to monitor it periodically to make sure I was getting what I paid for. Nothing worse than getting really crap speeds during peak time.

The other thing turning me off them was the 20gb cap a day which isn't an issue for most people but as I play games it was always an issue. Like at one point they stopped you at 15gb and redirected you to a page to say you acknowledged it.

yeah that page was really annoying, it never actually acknowledged that I pressed 'Okay' either, it would constantly show me it making it useless, haven't seen it since though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

John_2187 wrote: »
    yeah that page was really annoying, it never actually acknowledged that I pressed 'Okay' either, it would constantly show me it making it useless, haven't seen it since though

Yah was a pain in the ass, they seem to go through systems then throw them away.

Another big put off for me was the tech support essentially **** down early, so if something did happen outside of there call window thats it.

They aren't the worst if they are your only option and you know what to expect. Like right now my connection at 1:12AM is around 20MB down, which isnt bad but i was sold at least 35MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone bridged their modem or connected a different router to it in any way ?

Looking to up the range and add ports as it only has 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone bridged their modem or connected a different router to it in any way ?

Looking to up the range and add ports as it only has 2.

Yes, I have mine bridged, but it wasn't straightforward. It took several months, involved a lot of emails, and a swap of the radio equipment. I don't know if it has since become something they offer as a matter of course, but for me it was definitely a custom set up.

Having said that, it has worked perfectly since going in. I have the external (static) IP presented to my router from their CPE and no more double NAT. All inbound traffic works as expected and I can manage everything myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Can anybody recommend a phone for use with this system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Any phone will work - they give you a line that you can plug into a regular phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Any phone will work - they give you a line that you can plug into a regular phone

Has to be a VOIP phone

km79 wrote: »
    Has to be a VOIP phone
    To use the phone line that comes with Imagine ?

This is what I use
    It's just a regular phone we had used with our Eir phone line before switching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Has to be a VOIP phone

Not, when the router has an analog port to connect an analog phone and takes care of the VoIP portion.

/M

deadl0ck wrote: »
    To use the phone line that comes with Imagine ?

This is what I use
    It's just a regular phone we had used with our Eir phone line before switching
    Jeez I was told on here and by the installers I needed a VOip phone......wouldn't use it anyway but still interesting.
    So you just run a phone line from modem to phone?

Jeez I was told on here and by the installers I needed a VOip phone......wouldn't use it anyway but still interesting.

There should be an analog port on your Imagine router. You run a phone line from that to your phone, yes. Your installer clearly didn't know what he was talking about.

/M

• Advertisement

On my modem you do anyhow - there is a specific port on it for the phone.
    This is the modem/router Imagine gave me, but I do know that they seem to give a few different routers

Yep I can see one marked phone
    LOL
    18 months later
    As I said I don’t really mind but it is good to know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I currently have an ordinary house phone I rarely use but is costing me €35 a month. I am currently looking at renewing my broadband connection with a company similar to imagine(eurona brisknet) costing €600 annually for 20mb connection 25mb download limit. I am receiving roughly 13mb download in reality.

How does the house phone work on Imagine? Do I get to keep my current house number? Is it the same quality as Eircom?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I've had imagine for 18 months. Landline quality is better than the old Eir one which constantly crackled despite 16 fault reports over 3 years.

Kept my old number, took about a week to port over had a temporary number in between. No extra charges for having the phone line. All in the 60 euro package.

Local calls are free, National and International are similar I think but there are no special packages. I have caller display on mine which is no extra. One size fits all so to speak. All calls are listed on monthly bill.

TT

The Quality of the phone depends on the quality of the broadband, you can keep your old phone number, I have broadband with Three " Couldn't get anything better and eir is 1.7 Mbps"  and I have VOIP from Goldfish, line is very good and as good as eir line and much cheaper. and you have options that aren't available with eir line.  I must admit eir phone line was fine. just the broadband was slow and € 65 / month was a rip off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How much do you pay for goldfish?

restive wrote: »
    How much do you pay for goldfish?

€ 4.99 a month, flat rate  but I don't make many phone calls, better look at website

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

How is this broadband currently doing? Had considered getting this a year ago but heard bad reports.

I'm in the Laois area and I'm currently paying Aptus 60 a month for 30mb broadband and averaging speeds of 6 to 10mb so I'm looking to change. Can't justify paying that any longer for a service that's always dropping and not hitting near the speed I'm paying for.

Can't justify paying that any longer for a service that's always dropping and not hitting near the speed I'm paying for.

When you say dropping, do you mean going offline ? Or dropping in speed ?

Most reports of Imagine tell worse variation than that for the same money.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Marlow wrote:
    When you say dropping, do you mean going offline ? Or dropping in speed ?

Marlow wrote:
    Most reports of Imagine tell worse variation than that for the same money.

The drops in speed are expected due to shared connection but It does drop out altogether at points during the day. It just stops working completely to the point where I have to disable it and work off my mobile data.

So I'm assuming Imagine is just as bad? I literally have two options at the minute. Aptus or Imagine. Eir will be here within the next 6 months I'm told so clinging to that but there's never a guarantee.

Advertisement