Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well that was disappointing, imagine installer called today but could only get 15mb, so would not install. shame because that is still a lot better the 1/3mb with Permanet for €50 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Well that was disappointing, imagine installer called today but could only get 15mb, so would not install. shame because that is still a lot better the 1/3mb with Permanet for €50 a month.

Whereabouts are you based? What mast? Do you have line of sight?

irishchris wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you based? What mast? Do you have line of sight?

Im in Enniscorthy, base is forth mountain, wexford, Trees in way apparently but these are a good bit way, he say by law he couldn't install under 30mb, now if it were up to me i would take the 15mb and tell him to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That sounds mental. If you want it surely you can have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

They clearly state they will offer 30Mb minimum and wont install if they cannot provide that speed. No doubt some ploy to secure lucrative contracts in the future with the national 30Mb conditions....

Still that doesnt help the users getting less than 30Mb, I will be gutted if it happens to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    Another poster has reported they are exclusively using existing high site providers so they'll only be going where theres already infrastructure.
    But if that's true, surely people would have already been able to 3G or enhanced 3G from the same mast? A lot of people have been saying they had been getting about 1mbit before Imagine came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

That is a bit mental that they cant provide you with 15mb at least which is a alot better then what you are on I guess they are trying to get the national standard up to 30mbps.

Yeah , it does seems silly, i am prepared to pay €60 a month for 15mb service,
    you would think the choice would be the customer, they get a new customer for 18 months at €60 a month, i get more a much better broadband speed, who made that stupid rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    That is a bit mental that they cant provide you with 15mb at least which is a alot better then what you are on I guess they are trying to get the national standard up to 30mbps.

Not really, it makes sense. There's a feedback selection bias, a user stuck on 3Mb will complain to all their mates about how awful X are and they should be forced to fix it even though they live on a peninsula with the sheep where as the lad with 20Mb in a village wills shut up and chat about the footie. Thinking more towards 2020 if all their customers get a decent service then their reputation will be OK (unheard of for retail ISPs).
    KOR101 wrote: »
    But if that's true, surely people would have already been able to 3G or enhanced 3G from the same mast? A lot of people have been saying they had been getting about 1mbit before Imagine came along.

I'm not a cellular engineer (kinda wish I was) but there are a lot of factors here. Some may have HSDPA service now but its limited and probably slow. Remember a cell in the same place may have the same number of subs but at €20/mo instead of 60.

The others may not have coverage at all. From my experience travelling in Europe the Irish operators tend to place their kit at really low elevations. Could be planning, could be costs. Towers you see on hills can be for lots of things (FWA, Tetra, TV, ISP P2P, FM, Aviation) so and may be affordable for Imagine at €60/mo but not Vodafone at €20/mo.

Yeah , it does seems silly, i am prepared to pay €60 a month for 15mb service,
    you would think the choice would be the customer, they get a new customer for 18 months at €60 a month, i get more a much better broadband speed, who made that stupid rule?

Sounds crazy alright but the fact they are tendering for the NBP and the minium requirement is 30mbs for customers is their reasoning. Feel for you mate as there is nothing worse than the crappy broadband most of us have to put up with. Hoping that tomorrow I don't end up in same boat. In fairness I can see the mast from my window so hopefully shouldn't be any issues as quite near it and good line of sight.
    Although in saying that I didn't get any call today from the installer. Did you get a call from the office to setup appointment or when did the installer ring you for directions - on the day or prior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

No on the same day

The office rang Thursday to arrange date and time ,installer rang this morning saying he is on his way,
    pretty quick service but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

The office rang Thursday to arrange date and time ,installer rang this morning saying he is on his way,
    pretty quick service but to no avail.
    well at least your still in NBP you might end up with FTTH which is miles better than LTE.The downside is the long wait.

rob808 wrote: »
    well at least your still in NBP you might end up with FTTH which is miles better than LTE.The downside is the long wait.

Its sad though that ive been with Permanet for yrs with same service, 1/3mb, and still have no alternative.

Its sad though that ive been with Permanet for yrs with same service, 1/3mb, and still have no alternative.
    Im on 3mb myself it ok just downloading anything a pain but I'm use to it now.

Not really, it makes sense. There's a feedback selection bias, a user stuck on 3Mb will complain to all their mates about how awful X are and they should be forced to fix it even though they live on a peninsula with the sheep where as the lad with 20Mb in a village wills shut up and chat about the footie. Thinking more towards 2020 if all their customers get a decent service then their reputation will be OK (unheard of for retail ISPs).

I'm not a cellular engineer (kinda wish I was) but there are a lot of factors here. Some may have HSDPA service now but its limited and probably slow. Remember a cell in the same place may have the same number of subs but at €20/mo instead of 60.

The others may not have coverage at all. From my experience travelling in Europe the Irish operators tend to place their kit at really low elevations. Could be planning, could be costs. Towers you see on hills can be for lots of things (FWA, Tetra, TV, ISP P2P, FM, Aviation) so and may be affordable for Imagine at €60/mo but not Vodafone at €20/mo.

I guess its a good thing that they are not giving 15mbps even though this guy and others are in the same boat. They are striving to get up to the national standard of 30mbps but its annoying when a new fresh service who are looking for change are offering better but you still don't qualify. So Ireland when putting up masts and other Internet technologies equipment, are you saying they lean towards to cheap side of things initially until the new infrastructure has been fully established?

Is it 2020 or 2022 they expect the full infrastructure for regular fibre and FTTH in?

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Is it 2020 or 2022 they expect the full infrastructure for regular fibre and FTTH in?
    It 2022 when it finish but some companies bidding on it like Eir said they could do it sooner than that but don't want to derail this thread since it about imagine LTE.

Well lads showed up good and early this morning. Install took about two hours but only thing am not happy with the location of the router. They wanted to use nearest power point which is at opposite end of house to where I had routed all the cat 5 cables to rooms when I was building. I can't see there been much degradation in signal by adding couple metres to the connection but anyhow will have to feed some cable from where they have left it to where I need it and feed it into my existing router.
    Haven't got much chance to use it yet but max speeds are nowhere near as high as morgana and max seems to be about 46mbs even on the installers laptop. I'm surprised as I'm very close to the new basest station with perfect line of sight and am first connection off it.

Will post some speedtest results and pictures of the units later.

It 2022 when it finish but some companies bidding on it like Eir said they could do it sooner than that but don't want to derail this thread since it about imagine LTE.

I was just wondering. So for example a company like Imagine, what is their long term plan when do they hope to have most of the country covered by same kind of time frame?

• Advertisement

Well lads showed up good and early this morning. Install took about two hours but only thing am not happy with the location of the router. They wanted to use nearest power point which is at opposite end of house to where I had routed all the cat 5 cables to rooms when I was building. I can't see there been much degradation in signal by adding couple metres to the connection but anyhow will have to feed some cable from where they have left it to where I need it and feed it into my existing router.
    Haven't got much chance to use it yet but max speeds are nowhere near as high as morgana and max seems to be about 46mbs even on the installers laptop. I'm surprised as I'm very close to the new basest station with perfect line of sight and am first connection off it.

Delighted you got it in mate thats good they kept to their word finally. So if they had done a few changes what kind of speeds could you be looking at? Do they survey the area first and try see the best speeds. Also are there any modifications you can do to boost the speed and lastly what speeds were you hoping to get being so close to the mast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Methinks its not really a degradation issue, its a cost issue. more cable = more expensive install for them. Thats what the guy installing mine basically said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Scruff wrote: »
    Methinks its not really a degradation issue, its a cost issue. more cable = more expensive install for them. Thats what the guy installing mine basically said.

You paid €150, they can afford a few metres of cable. They are just being tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not the cabling, its the manhours. It takes time to properly install a longer run.

If your house is prewired just backfeed it from the existing socket, its not really a huge issue. If you need access in its room too place your router with theirs and then put an 8/16 switch in your comms cab/whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Glad you got finally installed. Just for laughs I located the Bweeng mast on Google maps and measured the distance to my house as the crow flies: 6.26 km. Much closer than I thought, lol. I had some of my trees trimmed last year because they started to interfere with the Ripplecom signal. And I can't even see the masts from my house as we are a bit too low down to have LoS from the ground.

Scruff wrote: »

Do you think once their is a more established infrastructure in place that is generating sufficient income that they will go back and reinvest back into their systems?

Its not the cabling, its the manhours. It takes time to properly install a longer run.

If your house is prewired just backfeed it from the existing socket, its not really a huge issue. If you need access in its room too place your router with theirs and then put an 8/16 switch in your comms cab/whatever.

Do you think the pre existing infrastructure is poor and if they were to have more man hours that they would have to charge more for the installs? Your suggestion would that increase the download and upload speeds?

Only home again now but not impressed with some of the speedtest there
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2029666551

Also to note there was nothing else connected/running whilst doing these speedtests

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2029665285

Far short of standard expected. Off tomorrow so will have lot more time to test and contact them

Here is some pictures of the setup as promised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Only home again now but not impressed with some of the speedtest there
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2029666551

Also to note there was nothing else connected/running whilst doing these speedtests

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2029665285

Far short of standard expected. Off tomorrow so will have lot more time to test and contact them

You might have mentioned already in this thread but what were your speeds before this installations

Advertisement