Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So I'm assuming Imagine is just as bad? I literally have two options at the minute. Aptus or Imagine. Eir will be here within the next 6 months I'm told so clinging to that but there's never a guarantee.

The issue is, that if you change to Imagine now, doesn't that lock you into a 12 or 18 month contract ?

Pretty silly move, if you expect OpenEIR to cover your area in 6 months.

As for the drop outs: i'd raise that with your provider. That's not really supposed to be that way.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The drops in speed are expected due to shared connection but It does drop out altogether at points during the day. It just stops working completely to the point where I have to disable it and work off my mobile data.

So I'm assuming Imagine is just as bad? I literally have two options at the minute. Aptus or Imagine. Eir will be here within the next 6 months I'm told so clinging to that but there's never a guarantee.

I had the LTE product and while speeds sometime varied I rarely if ever experienced such dropouts that you describe. Just remember that reading here you tend to get the worst experiences of customers. People are more likely to complain online when they have an issue. Your best bet would be to ask someone in your local area who has the service how they are getting on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The drops in speed are expected due to shared connection but It does drop out altogether at points during the day. It just stops working completely to the point where I have to disable it and work off my mobile data.

Do you want to get stuck in an 18 month contract? unless they have changed thats what your looking at with Imagine.

When i went with them they "guarenteed" 35MB but it bounces all the time. Today its been as low as 8MB and as high as 40MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Athy mast down to 1.3M for the last three evenings despite router reboots and measuring direct from router via ether net cable...

Time to waste my time with their useless support again...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

7560780590.png

Being doing this from around 7/8PM onwards to about 3AM every night now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My speeds are consistently over 100 mb on imagine. Have to give an honest appraisal of it. It's been great for me.

Now being candid in in ideal geographic location for it so has to count. I've line of sight and couple of K from an upgraded mast.

But I've had it over a year and perfect

roddy15 wrote: »
    7560780590.png

Being doing this from around 7/8PM onwards to about 3AM every night now....

Having the same issues on the Athy mast...was peachy for a while but just gone to crap lately

listermint wrote: »
    My speeds are consistently over 100 mb on imagine. Have to give an honest appraisal of it. It's been great for me.

Now being candid in in ideal geographic location for it so has to count. I've line of sight and couple of K from an upgraded mast.

But I've had it over a year and perfect

We started off with about 80-100mbps basically consistently for a few months, then about 50-70mbps, then 30-50mbps. Now it goes anywhere from 2-50mbps....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

We started off with about 80-100mbps basically consistently for a few months, then about 50-70mbps, then 30-50mbps. Now it goes anywhere from 2-50mbps....

Same as yourself, getting this now

7562928814.png

Same as yourself, getting this now

7562928814.png

7562941958.png

Enjoying that right now, the only device on the network and wired via power plugs.

Do you think any Imagine reps bother reading this thread to see the ****show that's going on for customers?

It's the same time every day, late evening 7/8PM all the way until the early hours of the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

7562941958.png

Enjoying that right now, the only device on the network and wired via power plugs.

Do you think any Imagine reps bother reading this thread to see the ****show that's going on for customers?

It's the same time every day, late evening 7/8PM all the way until the early hours of the morning...

They don't really care because they know if you are with them, you don't have too many other choices

Im with them two years and like others, had amazing speed for about a year maybe less. Now im on an average of about 7mbps to 12 and often struggling at 1mbps.

They claim it's not a technical issue and also deny contention issues. Whatever about the former, it's most definitely the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

7562941958.png

I'm not doubting your speeds but be wary of testing with powerline adaptors.

The absolute maximum throughput is ~30 Mbps with mine and it's affected by a lot of different factors.

d31b0y wrote: »
    I'm not doubting your speeds but be wary of testing with powerline adaptors.

The absolute maximum throughput is ~30 Mbps with mine and it's affected by a lot of different factors.

This one easily pulls about 100mbps give or take, we do have an older one that caps out at like 20mbps. Speeds tend to be pretty similar to the tests done by another computer on the wifi next door. I suppose I could try a direct ethernet connection to the router to be triple sure. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Meanwhile on the over-subscribed Cappagh North Kildare mast:

7565050508.png

Some cheek calling this broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Ardent wrote: »
    Meanwhile on the over-subscribed Cappagh North Kildare mast:

7565050508.png

Some cheek calling this broadband.

On the same mast and speeds had gotten a little better for a while, probably due to FTTH passing quite a few roads around here recently and people ditching Imagine.
    They have obviously filled it right back up though as speeds are back to about 6Mb Up / 1Mb down most evenings.

I don't know what to do with myself this evening with all these extra mega mega bits!

458816.png

Max I'm able to pull right now according to the router's traffic monitor is about 4.8mbps....

After the latest bout of sub-2MB evening speeds, they sent a team out to look at the antenna/equipment etc and I've got a call today to say they're terminating the contract and I have 30 days to find a new supplier.

Is that legal?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

smokingman wrote: »
    After the latest bout of sub-2MB evening speeds, they sent a team out to look at the antenna/equipment etc and I've got a call today to say they're terminating the contract and I have 30 days to find a new supplier.

Is that legal?!

Hmmm... I thought it would be in their T's & C's, but looking T's&C's I got (attached to an email I got upon joining) it says:
    10. TERMINATION
    10.1 Subject to the provisions of clauses 10.2 and 10.3 or as otherwise provided for in this Agreement this
    Agreement may be terminated by either party on thirty (30) days prior written notice to the other.
    10.2 If the Customer terminates this Agreement or the LTE Service(s) or any of them, during the Minimum Term,
    including in circumstances where the customer is changing address, imagine may, without prejudice to its
    rights to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination
    provided that the Equipment is returned in good order and that thirty (30) days prior written notice has been
    received of such termination and the Customer agrees to pay to imagine all outstanding charges accrued in
    full together with the termination charge of one hundred Euros (€100) inclusive of VAT for early termination
    of the LTE Service(s).
    10.3 imagine shall have the right to terminate or suspend the Agreement immediately for due reason,
    including, but not limited to:
    10.3.1 non-payment of charges in accordance with Clause 9 above or
    10.3.2 breach by the Customer of the terms of this Agreement or
    10.3.3 if any information supplied by the Customer to imagine is false or misleading; or
    10.3.4 if we are obliged to comply with an order, instruction or request of Government, ComReg, an emergency
    service organisation or other competent authority; or
    10.3.5 you are suspected of involvement with fraud or acts, which are of defamatory, offensive, abusive,
    obscene, menacing, unsuitable or unlawful character in connection with use of the LTE Service(s);
    10.3.6 you are in breach of the Acceptable Use Policy.
    10.4 While the LTE Service(s) are suspended or terminated you will be unable to make calls or access the
    internet. You will still be liable to pay all Charges due and any other reasonable costs and expenses which
    imagine may incur as a result of such suspension or termination and any subsequent reconnection of LTE
    Service(s). Please refer to the Code of Practice on dispute resolution on-line at www.imagine.ie.
    10.5 The termination of the Agreement or default of the Customer hereunder shall not affect any obligations
    of the Customer under the Agreement. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, on suspension
    of the LTE Service(s) or termination of the Agreement, all Charges incurred by you together with all Charges
    arising from such suspension or termination as set out in this Clause 10 shall become immediately due and
    payable.

So it looks like there's nothing there about them terminating the service under these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

According to their terms and conditions, they can cancel anytime giving 30 days notice. The customer needs to wait out the term.
    10. TERMINATION
    Subject to the provisions of clauses 10.2 and 10.3 or as otherwise provided for in this Agreement this
    Agreement may be terminated by either party on thirty (30) days prior written notice to the other.

I guess they can't supply the service to you in any real capacity and feel like they are giving you an out. If that's the case, be thankful they aren't leading you on until you get pissed off and cancel yourself.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hmmm... I thought it would be in their T's & C's, but looking T's&C's I got (attached to an email I got upon joining) it says:

So it looks like there's nothing there about them terminating the service under these circumstances.
    Clause 10.2 pertains specifically to the customer cancelling. 10.3 pertains to Imagine cancelling immediately.
    My reading of that is they can cancel any time giving 30 days notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

d31b0y wrote: »
    According to their terms and conditions, they can cancel anytime giving 30 days notice. The customer needs to wait out the term.

I guess they can't supply the service to you in any real capacity and feel like they are giving you an out. If that's the case, be thankful they aren't leading you on until you get pissed off and cancel yourself.
    Ah - missed that - D'OH

• Advertisement

10.3 imagine shall have the right to terminate or suspend the Agreement immediately for due reason,
    including, but not limited to:

Not limited to !
    Subject to the provisions of clauses 10.2 and 10.3 or as otherwise provided for in this Agreement this

So, if the service can't be supplied with reasonable levels, you will also affect other customers by dragging the sector down. That's a valid reason, where they can terminate your service within their T&Cs.

So yes, it's legal. And you can't force them to sell you the service in the first place either.

/M

I'll see what Comreg have to say - sometimes it's handy having family in there.

I'll see what Comreg have to say - sometimes it's handy having family in there.

It's not a regulated product. So they don't have to make it available. And yes, they can terminate it, if they deem it's not fit for purpose.

Where they would get in trouble, is if they then subsequently continued to charge you.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

You can give them a call and say you will accept the slow speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

As far as I was aware, they tell you up front that they won't install or provide the service if its sub 30mbps at the time of installation or testing.
    If they are terminating on that basis, surely you should get your installation fee back as well.

amadablam wrote: »
    As far as I was aware, they tell you up front that they won't install or provide the service if its sub 30mbps at the time of installation or testing.
    If they are terminating on that basis, surely you should get your installation fee back as well.

That probably depends on how long you've had the service.

/M

This is apparently their reason for terminating my contract...

"Imagine may at its absolute discretion withdraw the LTE Service(s) from any Customer whose use of the LTE Service(s), either risks degradation of service levels to other customers, puts the Network at risk or where the usage of the LTE Service(s) is inconsistent with normal residential usage or, in the sole opinion of imagine,is for purposes that are not reasonably used or envisaged for usage by residential Customers"

Surely overloading the mast is the reason for degradation of service or risk to the network?
    My use wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary - I don't torrent and only get use of it in the evening for netflix or gaming except when my wife or I have to work from home and then, all we have is ssh sessions in to servers or work IMs.

Something stinks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

This is apparently their reason for terminating my contract...

"Imagine may at its absolute discretion withdraw the LTE Service(s) from any Customer whose use of the LTE Service(s), either risks degradation of service levels to other customers, puts the Network at risk or where the usage of the LTE Service(s) is inconsistent with normal residential usage or, in the sole opinion of imagine,is for purposes that are not reasonably used or envisaged for usage by residential Customers"

Surely overloading the mast is the reason for degradation of service or risk to the network?
    My use wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary - I don't torrent and only get use of it in the evening for netflix or gaming except when my wife or I have to work from home and then, all we have is ssh sessions in to servers or work IMs.

Something stinks here.

What mast are you on out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

God it sound like the imagine service is after getting terrible .. Glad this never came available in my area as i would have gotten it and by the sounds would have probably ended up with problems ..

• Advertisement

rodge123 wrote: »
    What mast are you on out of curiosity?

Same one loads of people on here have been giving out about again lately. Athy.
    Wouldn't mind but the first support guy I got on this last week said there was a mast fault and this was the cause of the 1MB download in the evenings. Then they wanted to send engineers out, found nothing wrong and now they're getting rid of me because, I'm guessing, they've suddenly realised how oversubscribed the mast is.

Advertisement