Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Blue850 wrote: »
    Looks like is nationwide looking at posts on their Facebook page.

Link? Checked their FB and don’t see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Just checked Twitter and a good few complaining..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Link? Checked their FB and don’t see anything

Click on "see visitor posts" on their page, complaints from Donegal to Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah gone for me in east Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Down in Clare aswell . They better get it sorted. Be war if there is no internet for the christmas

• Advertisement

Down in Clare aswell . They better get it sorted. Be war if there is no internet for the christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Gone in Sligo too....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

Sent a message to support. This is the automated reply I received.

Hi, here's to a happy Christmas and New Year! We're finished up now and are enjoying some quality time with family. We'll be back in touch on the 3rd. If you have any questions check out our support section: https://www.imagine.ie/lte-faqs/

The fact it is countrywide has me very very worried

km79 wrote: »
    The fact it is countrywide has me very very worried

The fact that its countrywide means they will have to deal with it fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Passataudi

Just back up and running in mayo again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Back on in North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Kildare back aswell

And we are back
    Phew

I’ve been with imagine for 2 years now after 8 years of basically nothing

I can’t go back to nothing !
    It’s nice being able to watch netflix and update Xbox games in a couple of minutes

Back in clare too

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Never even knew it was gone, was on the whole time for me in Clare. Just need to change your DNS server , mine is set to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Never even knew it was gone, was on the whole time for me in Clare. Just need to change your DNS server , mine is set to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Smartypants:)

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joeyineire

Down here in st Margrets between swords and Ashbourne anybody else ? Router looks like it’s getting a signal but can’t even run a Speedtest

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Has anyone ever considered upgrading the standard Imagine Antenna to improve the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnny19w

Robertr wrote: »
    Has anyone ever considered upgrading the standard Imagine Antenna to improve the signal?

What do you mean by upgrading? Can Imagine do it or some sort of DIY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

How does Imagine compare with mobile broadband from the likes of Three, Vodafone, eir? I'd like to give it a go but the 18 month contract is putting me off as it will only be a stop-gap until fibre is available to the house.

limktime wrote: »
    How does Imagine compare with mobile broadband from the likes of Three, Vodafone, eir? I'd like to give it a go but the 18 month contract is putting me off as it will only be a stop-gap until fibre is available to the house.

It all depends on your geolocation. Where we live in West Clare eir coverage is quite poor, so speeds are not great. Though 3 seems to have a quite good coverage and speeds are quite good too.
    Currently with imagine we can get ~40Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up, on a good day more, but that’s very rare nowadays. Unfortunately for past few months this goes down from around 6-7pm sometimes to 2Mbps or less until maybe 10/11pm and it is not caused by exceeding the limit. It’s temperamental and does not happen every day, thus making it quite unreliable, as you never know when it will play up when you need it most. Sometimes also times vary when the issue occurs.
    Latency at any time is very poor. On the plus side it really never went down, even through the severe weather we’ve had.

The usual speeds are like this:
    3oHaRWm.jpg

I definitely would not recommend it if you have multiple devices, as we do, and rely on stable internet.
    Mobile broadband from 3 on a good day shows similar download speeds, but the upload is much better, usually at 10-20Mbps.
    We use one of the iPhones and personal hotspot for this.

In our location Imagine was the best broadband we could get, and we weren’t too fond of the 18 month contract either, it is up now and we’re trying to find a different provider or install a second connection to improve the latency / speed issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

johnny19w wrote: »
    It all depends on your geolocation. Where we live in West Clare eir coverage is quite poor, so speeds are not great. Though 3 seems to have a quite good coverage and speeds are quite good too.
    Currently with imagine we can get ~40Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up, on a good day more, but that’s very rare nowadays. Unfortunately for past few months this goes down from around 6-7pm sometimes to 2Mbps or less until maybe 10/11pm and it is not caused by exceeding the limit. It’s temperamental and does not happen every day, thus making it quite unreliable, as you never know when it will play up when you need it most. Sometimes also times vary when the issue occurs.
    Latency at any time is very poor. On the plus side it really never went down, even through the severe weather we’ve had.

The usual speeds are like this:
    3oHaRWm.jpg

I definitely would not recommend it if you have multiple devices, as we do, and rely on stable internet.
    Mobile broadband from 3 on a good day shows similar download speeds, but the upload is much better, usually at 10-20Mbps.
    We use one of the iPhones and personal hotspot for this.

In our location Imagine was the best broadband we could get, and we weren’t too fond of the 18 month contract either, it is up now and we’re trying to find a different provider or install a second connection to improve the latency / speed issues.

Thanks for the detailed response. I’m using Three at the moment and it sounds like similar to your experience with Imagine so I don’t think there’s any point in getting Imagine. Three drops to 1-2Mbps in the evening too for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Fast.com speedtest is completely unreliable.

Use speedtest.net , preferable the Carlow, Sligo or Galway servers. Even Imagine have their own speedtest server listed now. And always test to more than one server to ensure, it isn't a problem with the server.

That's the only way you get a somewhat accurate result. Fast.com is suffering from lack of bandwidth on their side. It seems Netflix were skimping a bit there.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The Fast.com speedtest is completely unreliable.

Use speedtest.net , preferable the Carlow, Sligo or Galway servers. Even Imagine have their own speedtest server listed now. And always test to more than one server to ensure, it isn't a problem with the server.

That's the only way you get a somewhat accurate result. Fast.com is suffering from lack of bandwidth on their side. It seems Netflix were skimping a bit there.

/M

You totally missed the point. The issue is not the website or internet speedometer, but poor infrastructure of imagine that manifests itself in massive lags and constant buffering and sometimes simple browsing being impossible. I get same or similar results on Speedtest or speedof.me website.
    Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

johnny19w wrote:
    You totally missed the point. The issue is not the website or internet speedometer, but poor infrastructure of imagine that manifests itself in massive lags and constant buffering and sometimes simple browsing being impossible. I get same or similar results on Speedtest or speedof.me website. Thanks though.

Do a test on speedtest and post it here

You totally missed the point. The issue is not the website or internet speedometer, but poor infrastructure of imagine that manifests itself in massive lags and constant buffering and sometimes simple browsing being impossible. I get same or similar results on Speedtest or speedof.me website.
    Thanks though.

No. I didn't miss the point and I'm not saying, that it isn't so.

The issue is though, if you try to make your point, you need to get it right. Otherwise nobody is going to listen to you.

And that includes to use a reliable service for the speedtest and testing it right. Because no internet provider will accept results from any odd random server, that they have no idea about what bandwidth it has. And fast.com or the google speedtest yoke are probably the worst ones you could be picking.

/M

No. I didn't miss the point and I'm not saying, that it isn't so.

The issue is though, if you try to make your point, you need to get it right. Otherwise nobody is going to listen to you.

And that includes to use a reliable service for the speedtest and testing it right. Because no internet provider will accept results from any odd random server, that they have no idea about what bandwidth it has. And fast.com or the google speedtest yoke are probably the worst ones you could be picking.

/M

There you go.
    yO1GRDk.jpg

I understand this is your experience with the website it doesn’t make it true though.
    Changing server made 0 difference.
    Again, speed reading were for illustrative purposes and readings are the same on all websites.

I understand this is your experience with the website it doesn’t make it true though.

I work in the industry, so I see a lot of these. And trust me: It is a serious problem, that fast.com for example doesn't have enough bandwidth half of the time. It's even worse when people on a 150 or 1000 Mbit/s fibre connection get 3 Mbit/s results on fast.com and it's actually not their connection at fault.

I'm just pointing out what to do to avoid the runaround if or when you contact your provider later.

/M

• Advertisement

I work in the industry, so I see a lot of these. And trust me: It is a serious problem, that fast.com for example doesn't have enough bandwidth half of the time. It's even worse when people on a 150 or 1000 Mbit/s fibre connection get 3 Mbit/s results on fast.com and it's actually not their connection at fault.

I'm just pointing out what to do to avoid the runaround if or when you contact your provider later.

/M

The above just proves that it makes no difference what website is being used, as the results are the same. Following your advice. You’ve been rambling about speedtest.net and when you got the results you still went on about fast.com as a serious problem and what an expert you are and have not acknowledged that perhaps there might be an issue.
    You are not talking to someone that doesn’t know how to turn the computer on, but judging by your responses that is your experience.
    I have no idea what is your agenda here, but you have focused on website used for illustration purposes only to showcase how poor the connection is. The website is not the point here.
    No one is contacting anybody nor will be.
    It is clear they have poor infrastructure to meet their demand.

Let’s finish this pointless conversation you’ve started.

Advertisement