Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭listermint

johnny19w wrote: »
    The above just proves that it makes no difference what website is being used, as the results are the same. Following your advice. You’ve been rambling about speedtest.net and when you got the results you still went on about fast.com as a serious problem and what an expert you are and have not acknowledged that perhaps there might be an issue.
    You are not talking to someone that doesn’t know how to turn the computer on, but judging by your responses that is your experience.
    I have no idea what is your agenda here, but you have focused on website used for illustration purposes only to showcase how poor the connection is. The website is not the point here.
    No one is contacting anybody nor will be.
    It is clear they have poor infrastructure to meet their demand.

Let’s finish this pointless conversation you’ve started.

Your being disingenuous or stupid I'm not quite sure which.

Of course it bloody matters what server you contact to get an accurate speed of your line.

Cop yourself on. If your assertion is that the server doesnt matter to get a read of your line speed then tbh frankly I'd tell other posters not to heed your advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

listermint wrote: »
    Your being disingenuous or stupid I'm not quite sure which.

Of course it bloody matters what server you contact to get an accurate speed of your line.

Cop yourself on. If your assertion is that the server doesnt matter to get a read of your line speed then tbh frankly I'd tell other posters not to heed your advice

I don't think that is the issue, he is trying to highlight how poor the imagine service is and getting sidetracked on other issues instead of getting his point of how poor the service is which is getting lost in the sideshow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

irishchris wrote: »
    I don't think that is the issue, he is trying to highlight how poor the imagine service is and getting sidetracked on other issues instead of getting his point of how poor the service is which is getting lost in the sideshow

You can't properly show, how bad the service is, if you use unreliable tools. In his case he got the same results on the speedtests and that just confirmed it. Good.

What I find even more disturbing is, that he was more interested in showing people here, how bad his service is, but had no intentions in discussing this with his provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

The sooner Imagine comes to rural Sligo the better.....
    7946661275.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I tend to go on the does it do what I want test
    With imagine on my mast,sky on demand is instant
    Bandersnatch on Netflix had seamless choices no buffering and I've been watching a lot of 4 k series on Amazon no problem and no buffering
    All good so far
    Been with them about a year and a half I think
    Will still go for ftth when available but that is a while away yet
    Currently its a no limits service

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I tend to go on the does it do what I want test
    With imagine on my mast,sky on demand is instant
    Bandersnatch on Netflix had seamless choices no buffering and I've been watching a lot of 4 k series on Amazon no problem and no buffering
    All good so far
    Been with them about a year and a half I think
    Will still go for ftth when available but that is a while away yet
    Currently its a no limits service

I tend to struggle to get it to even do a test. Sometimes I just get an ERROR message.

Here is a new record

7946836320.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

Have her tried a 3 SIM in a 4g router

naughto wrote: »
    Have her tried a 3 SIM in a 4g router

I use my phone as a hotspot fair bit. I get 4 or 5 meg from that. I signed up for Imagine but its not due here until the end of this month.

The sooner Imagine comes to rural Sligo the better.....

There's a good few other fixed wireless providers in rural Sligo. Depends on where you are. Some good, some bad.

But there are options.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There's a good few other fixed wireless providers in rural Sligo. Depends on where you are. Some good, some bad.

But there are options.

/M

But who offers LTE up to 70 meg? Even if it was a reliable 20 meg it would do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

But who offers LTE up to 70 meg? Even if it was a reliable 20 meg it would do the job.

https://www.nwb.ie/ seem to offer 50meg

Falconire wrote: »
    https://www.nwb.ie/ seem to offer 50meg

I had a look at them but unfortunately they dont cover our area. You'll find it very hard to get anything decent in west Sligo :(

I had a look at them but unfortunately they dont cover our area. You'll find it very hard to get anything decent in west Sligo :(

Tried to talk to this crowd https://www.servebyte.com/Broadband ?

They seem to be active around the north west of Sligo.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Got Imagine in the other day (North Wexford) as the initial test they ran a few weeks before install during the day showed me getting speeds of about 80 MBps on the speed checker. Great I thought. So 2 days ago they installed and around 3pm when finished I was getting those speeds. However come about 6pm the speeds dipped drastically and it even cut out a couple of times completely. I was getting 5/6 MBps and a couple of times less than 1. My old provider who I left on in the meantime and where I can only get 10 MBps was solid and never went below 7/8 all night.

Initially when the guys came to check if my house could get it they told me I could but the mast I can see is full and that I'd need someone to drop off in order to sign up. Magically 3 days later I get called and was told there's room. I'm thinking they just stuck me on an already over subscribed mast and that these evening speeds will always be like this. It was the same last night as well. Although it's been 4 weeks since the team told me I could get Imagine, it's only been 3 days today since I've been Live with them so am I in my rights to call and cancel it as there is a 14 day cooling off period right?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Got Imagine in the other day (North Wexford) as the initial test they ran a few weeks before install during the day showed me getting speeds of about 80 MBps on the speed checker. Great I thought. So 2 days ago they installed and around 3pm when finished I was getting those speeds. However come about 6pm the speeds dipped drastically and it even cut out a couple of times completely. I was getting 5/6 MBps and a couple of times less than 1. My old provider who I left on in the meantime and where I can only get 10 MBps was solid and never went below 7/8 all night.

Initially when the guys came to check if my house could get it they told me I could but the mast I can see is full and that I'd need someone to drop off in order to sign up. Magically 3 days later I get called and was told there's room. I'm thinking they just stuck me on an already over subscribed mast and that these evening speeds will always be like this. It was the same last night as well. Although it's been 4 weeks since the team told me I could get Imagine, it's only been 3 days today since I've been Live with them so am I in my rights to call and cancel it as there is a 14 day cooling off period right?
    I think you pay €100 to get out of imagine contract. I have Imagine to come next week, but I know what I am signing for, I am hoping it doesn't get much lower than 10MBps in the evening, if it does, I will get out even if I have to pay €100. I can only get Vodafone and Three or 1mb eir, Three was good but now oversubscribed.

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I think you pay €100 to get out of imagine contract. I have Imagine to come next week, but I know what I am signing for, I am hoping it doesn't get much lower than 10MBps in the evening, if it does, I will get out even if I have to pay €100. I can only get Vodafone and Three or 1mb eir, Three was good but now oversubscribed.

When I signed up they told me they are only taking 400 people in the area. Hopefully that will keep the contention rate down.

They say the cooling off period is from when you signed up
    But that couldn't be the case in my opinion so I'd give in the notice now asserting no penalty if the service does not perform in the evening
    Which mast is this and how far away
    There are two masts in north wexford,one near carnew/craanford on sliabh bhuí
    The other overlooking northeast wexford and Arklow a few miles above Coolgreaney near Croghan

You have the right to recall your direct debit yourself but need to go into your bank

Try this on for size. Id say dial up is better than this....
    7951865941.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

It still surprises me that after the thousands of post, a large number of which concern peak time contention, people are still surprised when they get poor speeds in the evening.

Off peak Imagine is brilliant. After 4pm and until 11pm ish expect speeds to drop to low single figures at least. It used to be the case that if you were on a quiet mast then you escaped the fall.

In my case I am on the Mayo north, Ballina mast, and have been since it went live 2 1/2 years ago and I have watched peak speeds drop to as low as 3mbps, mainly in the evenings. I get 80+ off peak but sometimes cannot even stream in the pm.

It would be helpful to new readers of this thread if there was a consumer warning on the first page explaining contention and the almost certain bane of poor evening speeds.

Having said that remember the 20gig download limits and the idiotic emails warning of caps? At least they seem to have disappeared along with the useless customer portals!!

As far as the notice of termination is concerned I recall this was challenged successfully by several posters after very low evening speeds.

TT

I'm on the Slieve Bhui mast north wexford.

• Advertisement

When I signed up they told me they are only taking 400 people in the area. Hopefully that will keep the contention rate down.

Erh .. no ... that figure of 400 is the problem ......

400 people per area. That 100 people per sector.

Their older tech sectors only do 150 Mbit/s aggregate ... the newer ones maybe more, but that doesn't matter.

So .. now you've 100 People that share 150 Mbit/s total.

But that assumes, that they have 600 Mbit/s total on site. And they don't have that. More like 300-500 Mbit/s depending on distance. Because the majority of these masts do not have fibre.

Either way ... that's an average of 1.5 Mbit/s available to each customer .. uncontended.

Calculate that out for yourself.

Most other Fixed Wireless providers calculate with 40-50 customers per sector max. Even on systems, that have more capacity / aggregate bandwidth per sector.

/M

I'm on the Slieve Bhui mast north wexford.

Can you get whizzi?

https://whizzyinternet.ie

I'm on the other mast
    Whizzi is all over north wexford

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Can you get whizzi?

https://whizzyinternet.ie

I'm on the other mast
    Whizzi is all over north wexford

I can do. You find them better/more consistent? Do they offer VOIP?

They are fairly consistant and no, they don't do VoIP, but I think they have plans for that.

You can always sign up with somebody likes blueface or goldfish for VoIP.

/M

Some of my neighbours are on them,I'm on imagine but a different mast to you
    If I start having your problems I'll be moving to whizzy alright because I've heard nothing but good things about them
    Some slow down in the evening I hear but 10 goes down to 7
    45 down to 20 at worst
    They're also cheaper

I've been getting 40 or so in the evenings on imagine and daytime up to 170 but usually well above 100mb
    Lucky with the sector I guess

Another difference with Whizzi is they are local so their engineers have no excuse not to maintain their network

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone with Imagine around the Castlebar area? Want to get thoughts on it. Varying reports from other parts of the Country and its not that cheap.

yop wrote: »
    Anyone with Imagine around the Castlebar area? Want to get thoughts on it. Varying reports from other parts of the Country and its not that cheap.

Seems to me from reading this thread that towns, city's and generally built up areas are not as good for imagine customers. But if your in a town or city I would've thought that there would be fiber anyway?

When I lived in Castlebar a few years ago the fiber was around 60meg

Seems to me from reading this thread that towns, city's and generally built up areas are not as good for imagine customers. But if your in a town or city I would've thought that there would be fiber anyway?

When I lived in Castlebar a few years ago the fiber was around 60meg

Castlebar has loads of fibre. Both Urban and Rural. It's covered by SIRO, it was an OpenEIR test area for their Urban FTTH rollout and OpenEIR have rolled out FTTH around Castlebar in Rural areas. A lot of houses inside Castlebar can get both OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO at the same time.

On top of that, there's also Virgin in a good few places.

Unless you're really stuck, Imagine should be your last resort. It be better to talk to Westnet.

/M

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Marlow wrote: »
    Castlebar has loads of fibre. Both Urban and Rural. It's covered by SIRO, it was an OpenEIR test area for their Urban FTTH rollout and OpenEIR have rolled out FTTH around Castlebar in Rural areas. A lot of houses inside Castlebar can get both OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO at the same time.

On top of that, there's also Virgin in a good few places.

Unless you're really stuck, Imagine should be your last resort. It be better to talk to Westnet.

/M

Thanks all for the comments.

I can't get fibre, the line is 300m away and it won't be brought down any further I've been told by the engineers there and by Eir. I'm around the 3km mark away from the cabinet on the Westport road.

I'm with Westnet since 2005 and they are BRILLIANT, but with the 2 kids now on devices and everything else in the house dragging off it the 6 megs I have is been killed.
    I'm VERY reluctant to have to leave Westnet, and Imagine seems the only other viable option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »
    Thanks all for the comments.

I can't get fibre, the line is 300m away and it won't be brought down any further I've been told by the engineers there and by Eir. I'm around the 3km mark away from the cabinet on the Westport road.

I'm with Westnet since 2005 and they are BRILLIANT, but with the 2 kids now on devices and everything else in the house dragging off it the 6 megs I have is been killed.
    I'm VERY reluctant to have to leave Westnet, and Imagine seems the only other viable option.
    I am with them as well and very happy but
    There business package @ 6mb is the same price as imagine.
    6mb is not near enough in this day and age if they offered 10/15 or 20 mb packages I would jump at it,but I’d say there business is ftth now and wireless 2nd in the q

Advertisement