Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    I am with them as well and very happy but
    There business package @ 6mb is the same price as imagine.
    6mb is not near enough in this day and age if they offered 10/15 or 20 mb packages I would jump at it,but I’d say there business is ftth now and wireless 2nd in the q

I think thats the case indeed and you can't blame them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

yop wrote: »
    I think thats the case indeed and you can't blame them either.

Do Airwire serve that part of the country?

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/fwa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Do Airwire serve that part of the country?

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/fwa

No. Airwire fixed wireless coverage stops where Westnet coverage starts. Only marginal overlap in South Mayo.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

naughto wrote: »
    ...I’d say there business is ftth now and wireless 2nd in the q

That's a business decision we've had to make, I'm afraid. It's no secret that Imagine have invested enormous sums of money in their LTE network. We don't have that kind of money - and, even if we did, it's clear from this thread how even a substantial capital investment yields a wireless platform that doesn't exactly satisfy all of their customers all of the time.

So we've focused on keeping our existing wireless infrastructure working reliably, and on giving both new and existing customers the option of fibre if possible while absorbing the up-front costs.

We could change the way we deliver wireless by increasing both speed and contention and marketing it as an "up to" service the way some others do, but feedback from our customers is that they appreciate not being misled about what we can deliver. They would rather be told that they can't watch multiple 4k streams on our basic package than to find out the hard way that it doesn't work reliably.

yop, I have no information about what Imagine's speeds are like around Castlebar. You probably have reasonable line of sight to the mast (it's the big one at the eir exchange), and you're not that far away, so if there are no capacity issues (and at least that mast should be fibre-fed), it might be a good fit for you. Your best bet is to try to find someone who's currently connected to Imagine in Castlebar and see how it's working for them. If it makes sense for you to switch, that's not a problem - we'll look forward to winning you back when we can offer you fibre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That's a business decision we've had to make, I'm afraid. It's no secret that Imagine have invested enormous sums of money in their LTE network. We don't have that kind of money - and, even if we did, it's clear from this thread how even a substantial capital investment yields a wireless platform that doesn't exactly satisfy all of their customers all of the time.

So we've focused on keeping our existing wireless infrastructure working reliably, and on giving both new and existing customers the option of fibre if possible while absorbing the up-front costs.

We could change the way we deliver wireless by increasing both speed and contention and marketing it as an "up to" service the way some others do, but feedback from our customers is that they appreciate not being misled about what we can deliver. They would rather be told that they can't watch multiple 4k streams on our basic package than to find out the hard way that it doesn't work reliably.

yop, I have no information about what Imagine's speeds are like around Castlebar. You probably have reasonable line of sight to the mast (it's the big one at the eir exchange), and you're not that far away, so if there are no capacity issues (and at least that mast should be fibre-fed), it might be a good fit for you. Your best bet is to try to find someone who's currently connected to Imagine in Castlebar and see how it's working for them. If it makes sense for you to switch, that's not a problem - we'll look forward to winning you back when we can offer you fibre.

Cheers Paul.
    Appreciate the feedback and I totally get your situation and as always you guys are straight up on that front.
    Good idea on checking others to see how it is. I don't overly trust their offering, at least when I get 6 from you guys it consistent at any time of day or night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

yop wrote: »
    Cheers Paul.
    Appreciate the feedback and I totally get your situation and as always you guys are straight up on that front.
    Good idea on checking others to see how it is. I don't overly trust their offering, at least when I get 6 from you guys it consistent at any time of day or night.

I’d imagine (no pun intended there) it’s not as bad as other masts with contention given the fact that Castlebar is so comprehensively covered by fibre.

Ask yourself in the worse case scenario of 1-3mb peak vs 50-70mb off peak could you and your family live with that sacrifice?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Marlow wrote: »
    No. Airwire fixed wireless coverage stops where Westnet coverage starts. Only marginal overlap in South Mayo.

/M
    Same for Airwire and Lightnet both stop where my fence starts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭vidapura

Anyone here tried Vodafone mobile broadband as an alternative?

I'm pretty sick of the Imagine dropping to under 5mb when Im trying to stream a match on a Saturday evening... so lookin for better...
    Feckin Eir stops about 200 yards up the road from me... sigh....

Anyone in Galway county tried the Vodafone ?
    Wondering if it has the same problems at peak times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

vidapura wrote: »

I'm pretty sick of the Imagine dropping to under 5mb when Im trying to stream a match on a Saturday evening... so lookin for better...

I use a combination of Vodafone and Nova (in Tipp). Nova is generally great, but not suitable for video conferencing (I work from home so this is a must). I've set up a Vodafone Mobile Broadband router in the attic, and set up routing rules for all the video conferencing traffic to go through it, and it's been fantastic.

I've occasionally ran SpeedTest using the VF Wifi, and I've got up to 73.5Mb/s down. I've got 4bars signal according to router itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This is my speed test right now on three 4g
    It's indoors too just on my phone
    They get a lot of drumming but it all depends on where you are,I'm in rural south Wicklow

It's double what I'm getting off imagine at the minute
    Not too shabby

• Advertisement

vidapura wrote: »

I tried Vodafone for a week in Galway speed was minimum 40, up to 200, The cap turned me off, you can try it for two weeks for free anyway

I have Imagine for two weeks now, installed on 14/01/2019, installation was very neat, they used the brackets of a previous antenna and "the hole in the wall" was in the conservatory so it wasn't "painful" I am connected to Tonabrocky mast in Galway, it survived yesterday storm with no interruption of service.
    The speed is up to 98 during the day, goes down to 5 to 20 at peak times, ping 20 ms, but I still can stream 1080p videos without buffering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Anyone elses Imagine dog slow this evening. I'm wondering is it real cold weather we are having. I'm in knockraha and its shocking around 1mb since 6pm this evening. It's normally slow at this time but never this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Anyone elses Imagine dog slow this evening. I'm wondering is it real cold weather we are having. I'm in knockraha and its shocking around 1mb since 6pm this evening. It's normally slow at this time but never this bad.

Exact same here off the Bweeng mast, it’s gone completely to the dogs over past 3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

irishfeen wrote: »
    Exact same here off the Bweeng mast, it’s gone completely to the dogs over past 3 nights.

Same here in Galway, really poor the last few days

Wegian wrote: »
    Same here in Galway, really poor the last few days

Yah

Tonabrocky mast Galway

Last evening

8001025228.png

This morning

8001788913.png

Thank God it is only for 3 days, if it was two and half weeks I would feel guilty as I joined Imagine two and half weeks ago, "more spaces became available recently"

Wegian wrote: »
    Same here in Galway, really poor the las t few days
    Few days ago I received a message they are optimising the service, it seems they have done it already

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

8002890464.png

This is our 12mb broadband druing the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

its been pretty poor the last 2 days . it seems to be ok today though

This is it right now

8003063597.png

this was it yesterday

8001077178.png

Very good today in Galway Tonabrocky mast

8003660941.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

gone to crap again tonight

8003786881.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Certainly slower than usual for me in the evenings for the last week. Hasn't caused any noticeable issues with streaming though.

VqSWkcY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

d31b0y wrote: »
    Certainly slower than usual for me in the evenings for the last week. Hasn't caused any noticeable issues with streaming though.

VqSWkcY.png

Anybody having issues in the evening in Galway?

It’s been chronic bad here for the past week or so particularly in the evenings

Well after waiting for years, the Imagine engineer arrived today. Was left very disappointed.
    Even though we have clear line of sight of the area the mast is in, he couldn't get a proper signal.
    My friend who is further away and is surrounded by trees got hers installed yesterday no problem.
    Fcuk My Life.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Did he give you anymore info as to the reason?

Huntline wrote: »
    Did he give you anymore info as to the reason?

He said he couldn't get it to stabilize at a constant speed. Possibly interference of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

He said he couldn't get it to stabilize at a constant speed. Possibly interference of some kind.

Well that's highly annoying

Huntline wrote: »
    Well that's highly annoying

Ya, next option is moving house..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

To the person who is really frustrated, set up a twitter page called ImagineFraudband and constantly tweet local TDs, National/local press, radio etc with Speedtest results. Run a daily competition looking for the worst speed reported and mark it on a map.

@imaginefraudband our worst speed comes from @johnobrien in Ennis @ennisTD @richardbruton @clarepaper @clarefm #imagine #NBP

Picture of Ireland with Clare county highlighted.

• Advertisement

Well after waiting for years, the Imagine engineer arrived today. Was left very disappointed.
    Even though we have clear line of sight of the area the mast is in, he couldn't get a proper signal.
    My friend who is further away and is surrounded by trees got hers installed yesterday no problem.
    Fcuk My Life.............................
    Have you tried Three with Huawei router and outdoor antenna with 3G, I have Three and Imagine, same.
    Imagine faster in the morning, in the evening they are the same Three 3G and Imagine

Advertisement