Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Have you tried Three with Huawei router and outdoor antenna with 3G, I have Three and Imagine, same.
    Imagine faster in the morning, in the evening they are the same Three 3G and Imagine

I'm looking into it. Getting about 8meg on Three's 4G signal. But the limits annoy me.
    Two more of my neighbors got Imagine in today no problem. Difference today is its not raining I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I'm looking into it. Getting about 8meg on Three's 4G signal. But the limits annoy me. Two more of my neighbors got Imagine in today no problem. Difference today is its not raining I think.

Bigger limits on three 4g than imagine

hatchman wrote: »
    Bigger limits on three 4g than imagine

Would it reach 70mbps though? The phone only reaches 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Would it reach 70mbps though? The phone only reaches 8!

With a lot of neighbours getting it will they all get 70 ? I tried to get imagine in and had similar issues to you. I signed up for Three 4g for 30 euro a month and get speeds around the 20 mark and down to single digits in the evening time. I have single story house and put modem in attic and give great coverage through out house and helps with improving signal on 4g. It does what I want i.e two kids on Netflix hd at same time and what ever browsing we do. So I don't get obsessed with the speed. And at 30 euro it's half the price.

With a lot of neighbours getting it will they all get 70 ? I tried to get imagine in and had similar issues to you. I signed up for Three 4g for 30 euro a month and get speeds around the 20 mark and down to single digits in the evening time. I have single story house and put modem in attic and give great coverage through out house and helps with improving signal on 4g. It does what I want i.e two kids on Netflix hd at same time and what ever browsing we do. So I don't get obsessed with the speed. And at 30 euro it's half the price.

Well I just got a whatsapp from one of them. 217.73mbps download and 5.56 upload. Thats plugged directly into the router. Wifi is 60 she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I’m on the same plan with Three. How does Imagine deliver speeds of 70 on the same network? Is it all down to the external antenna or do Three provide a better service to Imagine? I have had to switch my service to 3G as it became unusable in the evenings from 6pm onwards

Imagine use an antenna, Three dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Imagine use an antenna, Three dont.

Is it really as simple as that ? I get full bars in my modem

Daz_ wrote: »
    Is it really as simple as that ? I get full bars in my modem

Seems to be. As far as im aware it just picks up the same 3G and 4G signal as the smartphone. If your in an area with no indoor coverage then you'll need a booster or antenna but they will be at your own cost.

The really annoying thing is that I can actually see the mast from the house. Wtf??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Imagine don't deliver speeds of 70 in the evening when most households are using it
    It's like a traffic jam on a motorway from 7 to 10pm
    The wireless road is full
    If everyone uses it at the same time you'll be down in low single figures
    You will get your 70 in the daytime when everyone is at work and no one else is using it
    Same with 4G mobile
    It doesn't matter if you can see the mast
    Slows to about 20 here at worst usually which is fine
    Certainly better than my old 3mb DSL
    You used have to go read a few chapters of Tolstoy with that before you could watch a sky on demand movie...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Imagine don't deliver speeds of 70 in the evening when most households are using it
    It's like a traffic jam on a motorway from 7 to 10pm
    The wireless road is full
    If everyone uses it at the same time you'll be down in low single figures
    You will get your 70 in the daytime when everyone is at work and no one else is using it
    Same with 4G mobile
    It doesn't matter if you can see the mast
    Slows to about 20 here at worst usually which is fine
    Certainly better than my old 3mb DSL
    You used have to go read a few chapters of Tolstoy with that before you could watch a sky on demand movie...

That's fine and I understand that, but from reading this thread, its slowest speeds is faster than our fastest speeds. I have recorded a speed of 0.09mbps. But it doesn't matter now anyway, there is no way we can get it because we are too far away, even though we are nearer than the people I know got it.
    Very disappointing really and a bit piss poor on their behalf. They didn't even try and get it working.

Our options now are to wait for fiber, whatever decade that comes or pick up the house with a big helicopter and move it in behind my neighbors trees where they are getting a perfect signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Imagine connected with ethernet cable and professional installation

8019489078.png

Three 3G connected with ethernet cable through TP link extender and antenna tied with a string outside the window not aimed at anything

8019494813.png

For each the test was repeated 4 times with no Internet activity and best result is quoted

Yeah 3g on three is faster than 4g at peak these days because so many go on 4g now not 3g
    Add to that Tesco using threes 4G and how Tesco smart phones used hog the 3g network and now they're using the 4g network mostly instead
    It's not because 3G has got any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    For each the test was repeated 4 times with no Internet activity and best result is quoted

Should have tested to the same server. Otherwise it's not comparable.

Some servers don't have enough bandwidth for decent speedtests.

/M

Does anyone know what Vodafone's 4g is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

I had vodafones 4G for 2 years, just cancelled the contract as i can get aptus wisp its unlimited and 40mbps down and 5mbps upload unlike vodafone's 150GB for €45 a month they now have a 250GB package for €55 a month. Speeds on vodafones 4G were very fast up to 60-70mbps drops down to about 30-40mbps in the evening.

Does anyone know what Vodafone's 4g is like?
    I had it for about a week with external antenna, speed up to 209 early in the morning and 30 to 40 at peak times. the cap of 250G doesn't suit me

Add to that Tesco using threes 4G
    And Rural wifi and fleet connect and efone and Lycamobile and Virgin Mobile.
    I don't know why post mobile are using Vodafone, it has to be a mistake

Speed in Galway this evening
    8022658332.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It seems Eir are going to upgrade another 80,000 rural homes to FTTH. Hopefully a few people here who have missed out on the original 300k plan get covered.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ftth-broadband-roll-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    It seems Eir are going to upgrade another 80,000 rural homes to FTTH. Hopefully a few people here who have missed out on the original 300k plan get covered.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-ftth-broadband-roll-out

They are not rural. They are urban premises that can not avail of the minimum 30Mb speed for the NBP.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109399697&postcount=28

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They are not rural. They are urban premises that can not avail of the minimum 30Mb speed for the NBP.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109399697&postcount=28

I forgot that some urban areas are also included in the NBP. The article does state that '80,000 extra premises in rural areas to get FTTH'. I reckon Eir will cover or fill in some of the small gaps they left in some rural areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    I forgot that some urban areas are also included in the NBP. The article does state that '80,000 extra premises in rural areas to get FTTH'. I reckon Eir will cover or fill in some of the small gaps they left in some rural areas?

Seems to be a misunderstanding by the author. The standard of "tech" journalism in this country leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm with Navi on that.

Eir/OpenEir did not specify in any way form or shape, that these premises were rural.

Also, the IFN is urban .. end of story. Towns and villages of 1000+.

The journalist probably didn't do the homework to understand that there actually are 80k NBP premises in urban zones.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Interview with Imagine's Sean Bolger on Newstalk Breakfast Business show this morning talking about the company's plans for 5G FWB rollout. Starts at 00:11:30. Not tackled on the issue of contention at all that i could hear.
    Promising 150Mb unlimited bb, home phone and calls for €59.99 (at 00:21:20)

https://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/archive/234887-breakfast-business/13_02_2019.mp3

He was tackled on contention on rte morning Ireland and said it was not a problem...
    You also came away from that interview thinking imagine were the national broadband plan and that there'd be no problem getting g into every home either because, 'we bring the fibre to the mast and then wirelessly connect you to the mast
    He said something along the lines of,this wasn't the same as loads of mobile phones on a mast because you are individually connected by a professional team :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Seanie has a fleet of vans driving in convoy around central Dublin this morning advertising his 5G product. A fleet of vans driving around in circles for hours is a very apt metaphor for this shower of chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

He was tackled on contention on rte morning Ireland and said it was not a problem...
    You also came away from that interview thinking imagine were the national broadband plan and that there'd be no problem getting g into every home either because, 'we bring the fibre to the mast and then wirelessly connect you to the mast
    He said something along the lines of,this wasn't the same as loads of mobile phones on a mast because you are individually connected by a professional team :rolleyes:

Can anyone who is experiencing contention on imagine email morning ireland disputing his claim.
    Morningireland@rte.ie

Stating your location and average speed in day vs evening.

With enough emails they might actually bring it up in another discussion or at least be aware that it is actually a problem.

Advertisement