Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

36 down here atm
    Peak evening
    That's about a third less than normal lately
    North of 120 daytime
    Barrackcroghan overlooking Arklow

No issue once all is working well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm on the Ardagh mast in Longford and this is what I'm getting now (at 7.30pm):

Screenshot-2019-02-25-19-32-21-023.png

It's up to 80 or 90 when it's good early in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

8069351643.png

.... Up to 70mb my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

8069390116.png

Please stay this way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

8069390116.png

What mast?

TT

• Advertisement

TopTec wrote: »
    What mast?

TT

Dunowla

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Tonabrocky Galway
    That is more or less our normal at peak times

8069397919.png

8069390116.png

Yeah youve no one else on your sector
    That won't last
    Its commercially unviable to have just the one customer

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah youve no one else on your sector
    That won't last
    Its commercially unviable to have just the one customer

Let me have my moment of glory will ya :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

twignme wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here on the Cappataggle mast?

Cappataggle mast is not fibre-fed. So contention could be quite bad.

But why on earth are you on satelite broadband when there are at least 2 other decent fixed wireless providers covering that area ??? (Airwire and Lightnet)

And if those 2 can't cover you, then there is no hope that Imagine will.

/M

• Advertisement

8070303289.png

8069397919.png

Please God change the morning to the evening and the evening to the morning, that is easier than the NBP

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Hi all, I had a couple of installers here yesterday (really nice guys by the way) who tested my location for LTE reception. The speeds showing were mind-blowing at something 154 D/L and 6.5 U/L but they said that the metrics were very poor. As a total layman I don't understand what this means. Can anyone explain what this means to me in layman's terms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

8069390116.png

This is what Imagine should be like for every customer 24/7, but pure greed got in the way. Unfortunately your great peak time speeds won't last as more customers are cramped into your sector over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Kilree wrote: »
    Hi all, I had a couple of installers here yesterday (really nice guys by the way) who tested my location for LTE reception. The speeds showing were mind-blowing at something 154 D/L and 6.5 U/L but they said that the metrics were very poor. As a total layman I don't understand what this means. Can anyone explain what this means to me in layman's terms.

Pretty much this. Although with that speed I can't imagine SINR was poor, maybe you are at the edge of a sector and had poor RSRP.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-rsrq-sinr/

Did they actually refuse to install? You must have met some Imagine installers who knew what they were talking about. Usually they see at least 30Mb and install goes ahead. When I had mine installed I had to move the antenna when they left to get a better signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Marlow wrote: »
    Cappataggle mast is not fibre-fed. So contention could be quite bad.

But why on earth are you on satelite broadband when there are at least 2 other decent fixed wireless providers covering that area ??? (Airwire and Lightnet)

And if those 2 can't cover you, then there is no hope that Imagine will.

/M

Thanks Marlow. The guy on the phone says the mast will be 5G ready in June, so I'm assuming that means fibre-fed by then? He gave me the spiel about only 125 per sector and that joining now would mean when the 5G was actually available next year, I would automatically be upgraded. I presume that means all others already there would also be upgraded, so no difference I guess?
    I tried Lightnet before I went satellite 7 years ago, and they couldn't get a signal from any mast, so it was my only option. Since then, I haven't seen much good about Airwire so didn't want to go that route either. The satellite isn't too bad for what I need, except for the ludicrous 25Gb per month cap they put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just because they upgrade the sectors to 5G (which is not what they do. They upgrade them to 5G capable sectors ..... which then get 5G (ish), when it becomes available ... in like another year or two) ... doesn't mean, that the mast gets fibre.

So yes ... it would be very important to ask that very question before even signing up, if the mast is !! directly !! fibre fed. Without that, it doesn't matter what upgrades they do.

As for your previous experience with other fixed wireless providers .. 7 years ago ... that's an entirely different technology, than what is used today. There's like at least 3 generations of tech there in that timeframe. How can you even compare 7 years ago with today ? If you go by those standards, then you can't believe a word either of what Imagine is promising you. Because sure .. it'll be the same in 7 years, as it is now with them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

Just because they upgrade the sectors to 5G (which is not what they do. They upgrade them to 5G capable sectors ..... which then get 5G (ish), when it becomes available ... in like another year or two) ... doesn't mean, that the mast gets fibre.

So yes ... it would be very important to ask that very question before even signing up, if the mast is !! directly !! fibre fed. Without that, it doesn't matter what upgrades they do.

/M

Imagine got back to me today about completing the sale, told him that im not going forward with it and he asked why, told him that the mast will not be 5g active for at least another year so why would a pay for a service im not getting but theyre trying to sell?
    Couldnt give me a straight answer so thanked him but declined.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rumours that the rollout of 5G could be delayed across Europe by 2 more years due to spectrum and regulation issues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0225/1032793-huawei-vodafone-europe/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/nokia-ceo-warns-5g-implementation-in-europe-will-be-delayed.html

Better than normal tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I was on to Imagine today as they are my only hope of decent BB here, (near Kanturk, north Cork). They told me they have a site going live in late April / early May that will cover my address which up to now was outside their coverage. It's a bit expensive at 59.99 but as I'm probably never going to see fiber here it's my only real option.

• Advertisement

Pretty much this. Although with that speed I can't imagine SINR was poor, maybe you are at the edge of a sector and had poor RSRP.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-rsrq-sinr/

Did they actually refuse to install? You must have met some Imagine installers who knew what they were talking about. Usually they see at least 30Mb and install goes ahead. When I had mine installed I had to move the antenna when they left to get a better signal.

Yes I was marked down as a fail and no installation took place. To my ears they certainly sounded as if they knew their business very well.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Better than normal tonight

As usual in Tonabrocky Galway

8072273285.png

Ultimanemo wrote: »

8072273285.png

Is that Imagine LTE? :(

Ultimanemo wrote: »

8072273285.png

that's really not acceptable for any service provider, not sure you can even load modern websites with those speeds. Imagine are calling this the 'full fibre experience'?. 60 euros a month for those speeds. If it's like that most evenings, i'd be looking for a new provider and my money back. Even 3g mobile broadband from a dongle has to be better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's really not acceptable for any service provider, not sure you can even load modern websites with those speeds. Imagine are calling this the 'full fibre experience'?. 60 euros a month for those speeds. If it's like that most evenings, i'd be looking for a new provider and my money back. Even 3g mobile broadband from a dongle has to be better than that.

Some people can't get anything else. I get the same download speeds and much, much worse upload speeds from DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

As for your previous experience with other fixed wireless providers .. 7 years ago ... that's an entirely different technology, than what is used today. There's like at least 3 generations of tech there in that timeframe. How can you even compare 7 years ago with today ? If you go by those standards, then you can't believe a word either of what Imagine is promising you. Because sure .. it'll be the same in 7 years, as it is now with them.

/M

I appreciate your advice Marlow, thank you.
    That’s why I came on here, to educate myself about what’s available today from Imagine 7 years later. And when the good folk of the thread are posting about download speeds of 2.3 with this third generation on technology, it appears that my satellite service really ain’t too bad in comparison. Maybe Imagine could be the same in another seven years......;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

I think Imagine's Ballina (Mayo) mast got a speed bump. My parents are now getting about 45Mb download speeds off peak. The max they got before was 25Mb.

I will check peak speeds tonight.

user1842 wrote: »
    I think Imagine's Ballina (Mayo) mast got a speed bump. My parents are now getting about 45Mb download speeds off peak. The max they got before was 25Mb.

I will check peak speeds tonight.

peak speeds is what matters. Most Imagine customer's get decent speed past 2am to about 3pm, when they are not really using their connection much. Between 5pm and 1am can be really poor with Imagine, when everyone wants to use their connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

user1842 wrote: »

I'm on the same mast, on the Bonniconlon sector and at 10pm last night I was getting 8meg down 2.5 up, wireless not cable but that only usually bumps it up a couple of megs in my place. Where about's is your parents house?

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

TopTec wrote: »
    I'm on the same mast, on the Bonniconlon sector and at 10pm last night I was getting 8meg down 2.5 up, wireless not cable but that only usually bumps it up a couple of megs in my place. Where about's is your parents house?

TT

The house is the opposite side of the town, Killala road area, about 4-5km away from the mast, no line of sight at all. Off peak speeds have always been around 25Mb absolute max. Peak speeds from 3 to 5Mb.

Now off peak speeds are 45Mb. It will be interesting what they get this evening.

Advertisement