Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mechanical aid

Does this confirm the rollout plan?Interested in peoples opinions who may know more about the technology and timeframe..
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/huawei-ireland-5g-mwc

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Does this confirm the rollout plan?Interested in peoples opinions who may know more about the technology and timeframe..
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/huawei-ireland-5g-mwc
    I don't understand Imagine advertise 5G up to 150Mpbs, while right now I can get 208Mpbs on Vodafone 4G. capped to 250G / month :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    while right now I can get 208Mpbs on Vodafone 4G.

What part of the country are you getting those kinds of speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't understand Imagine advertise 5G up to 150Mpbs, while right now I can get 208Mpbs on Vodafone 4G. capped to 250G / month :(

Bolger is talking more ****e than the guy knocking at your door saying the roof tiles need doing. Don't listen to him.

What part of the country are you getting those kinds of speeds?
    Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Post your speedtest results , I would say the 208 mb you are seeing is the connection between your Wifi Adapter and your Modem..not the Internet and your Modem...

TimHorton wrote: »
    Post your speedtest results , I would say the 208 mb you are seeing is the connection between your Wifi Adapter and your Modem..not the Internet and your Modem...
    Could be, but I returned the router as we used more than 100G in one week., you made me doubt my memory but I remember when I returned the router I said to them: I can't believe you can get those speeds on 4G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

121 down and about 8 up from imagine atm over 5g wifi to my phone
    I suppose it is daytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

anyonre here on abbeyknockmoy mast be able to post peak speeds as wondering if improved in the last 18 months since I left them.. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

mossie wrote: »
    I was on to Imagine today as they are my only hope of decent BB here, (near Kanturk, north Cork). They told me they have a site going live in late April / early May that will cover my address which up to now was outside their coverage. It's a bit expensive at 59.99 but as I'm probably never going to see fiber here it's my only real option.

Did you end up signing up with them? I'm also near Kanturk and saw FTTH boxes being installed on telephone poles in my area a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately the closest house that is getting FTTH is 1.5km from. I feel like I'm destined to be stuck with 2mb speeds forever! :( Imagine might be my only hope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Toxica wrote: »
    Did you end up signing up with them? I'm also near Kanturk and saw FTTH boxes being installed on telephone poles in my area a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately the closest house that is getting FTTH is 1.5km from. I feel like I'm destined to be stuck with 2mb speeds forever! :( Imagine might be my only hope...

I agreed to go with them but it's subject to a signal test of course. I'm 5km from Newmarket exchange and not on the FTTH rollout map. I got a leaflet in the mail last week for another company that's rolling out wireless in the area but not sure when that's coming. Can't recall the name just now.

Edit: It's https://www.ivertec.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Friend of mine used to be Ivertec customer ( until he got FTTH) , they are genuine, definitely better than Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So Imagine have blocked me from posting on their facebook page today.

Basically I was posting screenshots of my speeds every-time they posted up reports of "great speeds"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Baoithin66

Anyone got a email address for cancelling with Imagine? the one they issue with the terms and conditions does not seem to work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So Imagine have blocked me from posting on their facebook page today.

Basically I was posting screenshots of my speeds every-time they posted up reports of "great speeds"

I've been looking at their Facebook page over past few days and they have posted several posts showing speeds of between 100 and 220 megs, all the replies are from poor customers struggling to get a connection and posting speed tests in the low single digits, some of them less than 1meg download with pings into the 1000s. I see some of the posts have since been deleted.

It really is a disgraceful service for many people. It is also very frustrating that certain politicians are pushing for Imagine's service to replace the NBP and FTTH as they believe that Imagine is a far better fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've been looking at their Facebook page over past few days and they have posted several posts showing speeds of between 100 and 220 megs, all the replies are from poor customers struggling to get a connection and posting speed tests in the low single digits, some of them less than 1meg download with pings into the 1000s. I see some of the posts have since been deleted.

It really is a disgraceful service for many people. It is also very frustrating that certain politicians are pushing for Imagine's service to replace the NBP and FTTH as they believe that Imagine is a far better fit.

8139803732.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

8139803732.png

your very lucky to be getting those speeds with Imagine during peak hours. Of course this is the sort of speeds everyone with Imagine should be getting 24/7. You must be on a relatively new mast which isn't oversubscribed yet, close to the mast and perfect line of sight. Many Imagine customers aren't even getting 1/10th of those speeds during peak hours. Hopefully your great speeds will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am on the verge of finally breaking free from sky now thanks to imagine
    We watch Netflix almost exclusively
    A few google play movies paid for with Three credit
    And some Amazon Prime which is free with my “student” prime ;)

All that was holding me back was sports and Disney
    My cancellation does through one month before the end of the season so I’ll prob get now tv pass for the month
    And yesterday my disney problem was solved when I seen Disney life app and it can be paid using three credit as well .

Getting rid of sky saves me over 60 a month and the heartache of the phone calls every 9/12 months and game of poker that goes with it

I’ve also saved a bundle on Xbox games as I’ve been able to buy and download digital ones on offer (and previously using three credit )

I had been very very wary of ever moving toward almost exclusively online tv viewing due to worries about reliability of connection (not an issue for me with imagine ) and data cap (no comment ............)

So for us it has been a game changer . We had 11 frustrating years before signing up . No online tv , having to bing the Xbox console 40 km each way at weekends to do a bloody 2 or 3gb update

We are moving house in a few months and I am DREADING going back to that

Heres my speed currently, it stays like that a lot during the day,I've been with them over 18 months so it's not a new mast
    There have been evening issues sometimes and not as fast in peak but its improved a lot lately
    Mostly always north of 60 at night now
    It depends on the area and the number of customers
    My area is plastered with Ftth so explains a lot,imagine maybe not getting as many sign ups as other areas

dce6af9bb9ce9b818181e771191e5011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Heres my speed currently, it stays like that a lot during the day,I've been with them over 18 months so it's not a new mast
    There have been evening issues sometimes and not as fast in peak but its improved a lot lately
    Mostly always north of 60 at night now
    It depends on the area and the number of customers
    My area is plastered with Ftth so explains a lot,imagine maybe not getting as many sign ups as other areas

dce6af9bb9ce9b818181e771191e5011.jpg

What location/mast are you based ?

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    What location/mast are you based ?

Barrackcroghan in north co wexford
    It's about 50 or so now at 730pm on the phone via 5g wifi with some usage going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Well folks, after two years as a customer of Imagine and after 6 months of far less than 10mbps (at best) from the Woodcock Hill mast, I wrote a comprehensive email to customer care again today and included about ten screen shots of speed tests and photos of the router, etc to verify the deterioration of service and I got a reply which I'm utterly amazed by......:D. :D

"Hello Xxxxx,

Thank you for your email,

I am sorry but I am unsure of what your query is how can we help?

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to call us on 1890 92 93 94 or by email to care@imagine.ie. Phone lines are open from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday to Friday, and on Saturday 9 AM to 5 PM.

Thank you again for your valued custom.

JXxxxx"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

amadablam wrote: »
    Well folks, after two years as a customer of Imagine and after 6 months of far less than 10mbps (at best) from the Woodcock Hill mast, I wrote a comprehensive email to customer care again today and included about ten screen shots of speed tests and photos of the router, etc to verify the deterioration of service and I got a reply which I'm utterly amazed by......:D. :D

"Hello Xxxxx,

Thank you for your email,

I am sorry but I am unsure of what your query is how can we help?

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to call us on 1890 92 93 94 or by email to care@imagine.ie. Phone lines are open from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday to Friday, and on Saturday 9 AM to 5 PM.

Thank you again for your valued custom.

JXxxxx"

Forward your email and imagines reply to minister Bruton and Timmy Dooley and a few media outlets so they can see first hand imagines 5g ready service and their attitude to customers that have no other choice than them!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

I am connected to the Kilduff mast which is on the Devils Bit mountain in Tipperary. I am located about 10km as the crow flies from the mast; I can see it from my house, my house is build higher up than the surrounding countryside so there are no physical boundaries which may damage the signal.

I have found, however, that they began taking subscriptions to that mast again despite them stopping not long after I joined due to reaching the capacity.

I had to call the technical support yesterday as there had been work performed by "Imagine's third party fibre provider" to the network on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. My phone would not connect to WiFi following these works.

Basically, he told me to unplug everything from the router and plug it back in again. A quick speedtest with the phone afterwards and I was getting speeds of 20mbps. This was within one foot of the router. I have the network boosted around the house to a second network via CAT5a cable as the router is located in the attic. Last night at around 8.30, I was getting speeds on my laptop of less than 1 mbps and regularly dropping the network. This was occuring during the recent windy weather in early March but is quite unforgivable nowadays, though my IPTV still worked fine.

I'm blaming the oversubsciption to masts for this deterioration in quality of signal. I can't find any other explanation.

BTW I enquired about the 5g and he said that they first have to determine which masts will be prioritised and it will be 6 months before actual work will begin. Painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sticksman wrote: »
    I am connected to the Kilduff mast which is on the Devils Bit mountain in Tipperary. I am located about 10km as the crow flies from the mast; I can see it from my house, my house is build higher up than the surrounding countryside so there are no physical boundaries which may damage the signal.

I have found, however, that they began taking subscriptions to that mast again despite them stopping not long after I joined due to reaching the capacity.

I had to call the technical support yesterday as there had been work performed by "Imagine's third party fibre provider" to the network on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. My phone would not connect to WiFi following these works.

Basically, he told me to unplug everything from the router and plug it back in again. A quick speedtest with the phone afterwards and I was getting speeds of 20mbps. This was within one foot of the router. I have the network boosted around the house to a second network via CAT5a cable as the router is located in the attic. Last night at around 8.30, I was getting speeds on my laptop of less than 1 mbps and regularly dropping the network. This was occuring during the recent windy weather in early March but is quite unforgivable nowadays, though my IPTV still worked fine.

I'm blaming the oversubsciption to masts for this deterioration in quality of signal. I can't find any other explanation.

BTW I enquired about the 5g and he said that they first have to determine which masts will be prioritised and it will be 6 months before actual work will begin. Painful

Checking speed via Wifi is pointless .... too many variables to determine what might be the cause of problems.

Check speed when wired directly to the modem/router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

You could also try WiFi Analyzer, a free app on android, which will show you the state of your wifi signal in various locations in your property. I have been doing that this morning whilst Imagine engineers were here to resolve a wifi issue I have had.

They replaced everything including the radio box on the chimney. Very efficient and seems to have solved an intermittent router fault. Couldn't fault their work.. very tidy.

On the Ballina mast by the way.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Checking speed via Wifi is pointless .... too many variables to determine what might be the cause of problems.

Check speed when wired directly to the modem/router.

It's not really though in an average house, in an office or manufacturing plant yes but in the home you will find very little difference between wifi and wired connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It's not really though in an average house, in an office or manufacturing plant yes but in the home you will find very little difference between wifi and wired connection

Not true.
    Some examples ......
    the wifi signal is not equal from all modems/routers
    lots of equipment found in the modern home interfere with Wifi signals
    close neighbours using equipment can cause interference
    distance from wifi source and whether using 2.4 or 5ghz connections

and lots of others.
    The only sure way to determine speed at entry is to wire directly and use good device capable of achieving more than max available speed.

Most definitely you can find little difference at time ..... or even most of the time in some locations, depending on a lot of variable ...... BUT, such speed tests using a wifi connection are not acceptable to anyone trying to determine where a fault might lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

TopTec wrote: »
    You could also try WiFi Analyzer, a free app on android, which will show you the state of your wifi signal in various locations in your property. I have been doing that this morning whilst Imagine engineers were here to resolve a wifi issue I have had.

They replaced everything including the radio box on the chimney. Very efficient and seems to have solved an intermittent router fault. Couldn't fault their work.. very tidy.

On the Ballina mast by the way.

TT

What peak speeds are you getting on the Ballina mast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

user1842 wrote: »
    What peak speeds are you getting on the Ballina mast?

Usually between 5 and 10 meg, peak, 90 meg off peak. Just did a non wired test there and it is 14 up and 2.5 down. We do get a very slow evening now and again. My neighbours Eir 'fibre' speeds max is 2.5 up off peak. I have noticed that since the take up of FTTH on my sector, mear Ballina, speeds have improved.

Expensive but this is fine by me.

TT

Advertisement