Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine has full unrestricted access to the 60MHz of spectrum it won at auction, since Sept last year.

Do they?

They've no allocation in Cork Dublin Limerick Galway and Waterford. When you include guard areas for overlap that pushes them far away.

Question is how many subs are within those areas.

Commencement of Lots under 3.6 GHz Band Liberalised Use Licences

Following completion of transition activities by Transition Licensees in the areas and frequency ranges affected, ComReg has commenced Lots in Regions under 3.6 GHz Band Liberalised Use Licences on the following dates:

Imagine

1 September 2018:
    All Lots in all regions

If I read that correctly Imagine is already using its 60Mhz. And getting the above speeds. Turn off the old spectrum and you'd be praying for a 1Mb ER-ADSL line.

ED E wrote: »
    Do they?

If I read that correctly Imagine is already using its 60Mhz. And getting the above speeds. Turn off the old spectrum and you'd be praying for a 1Mb ER-ADSL line.

They are using their new licences since Sept last plus the remaining transition area licences and still getting the above speeds and still advertising for new subscribers, don't know how they plan to compete with FTTH with so little spectrum? Lease spectrum off one of the other licensees, Airspan/Dense Air possibly? They won 25 MHz rural and 60 MHz urban in the auction.
    ComReg has commenced Imagine’s 3.6 GHz Band Liberalised Use Licence as of 1 August 2018 in all four of its Regions, as Imagine’s 3.6 GHz Band Liberalised Use spectrum is no longer significantly affected by the transition activities of other transition licensees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

loads of complaints on Imagine's Facebook this evening from very unhappy customers with brutal speeds, this appears to be almost a nationwide problem. Still Imagine continue to rub their customers faces in the dirt by posting up lab quality speedtests with taglines such as 'Cracking speeds in Crosshaven', 'happy customers in Ennis' and plenty of van pictures.

I dunno who Imagine are allowed get away with this dire service.

The reviews of Imagine on ratemyisp seems to back up all the brutal speedtests on their facebook page. http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/imagine/

Looking at the regulations a Transition Unprotected Licence can continue until 31 July 2022.
    The commencement date and expiry date of a 3.6 GHz Band Transition Unprotected Licence shall be set by the Commission and specified in the 3.6 GHz Band Transition Unprotected Licence. Unless it has been withdrawn or had its duration reduced under Regulation 7(2), a 3.6 GHz Band Transition Unprotected Licence to which these Regulations apply shall in any event expire on 31 July 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone else having issues with Imagine this morning? Down this morning in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Ardent wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with Imagine this morning? Down this morning in North Kildare.

Not at home today but got this text update from them just now. I’m on that north kildare mast also.

Local Broadband Message Hi - We have been informed by our third party fibre provider, that they are currently experiencing a fault on their fibre network. This may cause a disruption to your broadband service which we expect to be rectified quickly. We will continue to keep you informed and updated with further messages to come. Thanks - Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slanemc

Hi , Live in Slane area currently have eir fixed line broadband, speeds are terrible 1-2mb usually.

Got a call from Imagine, about a new mast being brought on line in Skryne in July. Don't know much about these technologies, but Skryne is ~14km from my house as the crow flies. Is it possible to have anyway decent service from a mast at this distance? What are the typical ranges of these masts? Not too fussed on having massive 100MB+speed as promised , even 10/20MB would be an improvement on what we currently have. Do you think its worth a try?

Any advice appreciated

Thks

Gonzo wrote: »
    The reviews of Imagine on ratemyisp seems to back up all the brutal speedtests on their facebook page. http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/imagine/

If you look nearly every ISP on there is 1/5. The only people who would visit to review are those that are having issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Tonabrocky mast Galway, Best speed ever, normally it is 98 Mbps at 6 am, It is fair to them to display their speed when it is up or down

8217273924.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So I'm finally going to have to give in , my neignbours trees have defeated my wireless isp after 11 years of fantastic service. Trees wont be cut unfortunately. Is anyone here out the clarina kildimo direction with imagine and what's the speeds like , also how are they on cancelling withings the two week period ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

dashoonage wrote: »
    So I'm finally going to have to give in , my neignbours trees have defeated my wireless isp after 11 years of fantastic service. Trees wont be cut unfortunately. Is anyone here out the clarina kildimo direction with imagine and what's the speeds like , also how are they on cancelling withings the two week period ?

Won't the trees be an issue with imagine too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

There site is the other direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My top speeds in the past were around 98, got a 121Mbps there now.
    I see it is advertised now as unlimited which is also great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RobertKK wrote: »

Don't believe a word Imagine say, like most internet providers, unlimited does not mean unlimited. Imagine have removed their 20gig per day allowance but have replaced it with an 'unlimited' usage capped at 1tb/1000gig per month. To be fair most Imagine customers probably wouldn't be able to download that much per month anyway unless they download steam/xbox/ps4 games in the small hours of the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

Gonzo wrote: »
    Don't believe a word Imagine say, like most internet providers, unlimited does not mean unlimited. Imagine have removed their 20gig per day allowance but have replaced it with an 'unlimited' usage capped at 1tb/1000gig per month. To be fair most Imagine customers probably wouldn't be able to download that much per month anyway unless they download steam/xbox/ps4 games in the small hours of the morning.

I’ve been with them in north county Dublin for 18 months and in fairness the service has been faultless! My biggest gripe was not being able to watch Netflix in 4K which is approx 7gb per hour :eek:
    First world problems I know but there ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dublin ;)

Homer wrote: »
    I’ve been with them in north county Dublin for 18 months and in fairness the service has been faultless! My biggest gripe was not being able to watch Netflix in 4K which is approx 7gb per hour :eek:
    First world problems I know but there ya go

Your very lucky to have a faultless service. Their Facebook page receives many complaints on a daily basis where the customer barely has the bandwidith to run a speedtest or open google after 6pm.

RobertKK wrote: »
    My top speeds in the past were around 98, got a 121Mbps there now.
    They are getting faster, I used to get 98, I don't know how long it will last.

8219111744.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    They are getting faster, I used to get 98, I don't know how long it will last.

8219111744.png

In fairness you are showing very early morning tests before 99% of people overload their network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

irishchris wrote: »
    In fairness you are showing very early morning tests before 99% of people overload their network

It's the peak hours these companies need to be judged on. From 18:00 to 0:00 hours

irishchris wrote: »

I do both, but it is not fair to show their speed only when it is down

This is in page 428
    As usual in Tonabrocky Galway

8072273285.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This is in page 428

Maybe show both in the one post for easier comparison by readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Hi Ultimanemo,
    That's exactly the problem. It's misleading, bordering on disingenuous, showing great results when the network is empty, of course it's going to be better.

It's like implying that there's no traffic problems on the naas road because you can post pictures of it empty at 4am.

Its not what people are complaining about, the contention issues in the evenings are the problem that people are trying to highlight.
    And its a long standing problem with most wireless isp's, it was the same with 2g and 3g, LTE/4G and it will be the same with 5g 6g or 10g in the future.

Each new wireless technology has promised to solve these same problems and have spectacularly failed to deliver. They're like election promises to us jaded wireless sufferers.

This is in page 428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Is there much point in moaning about it though?
    It is what it is
    If like me you're on imagine it's because landline broadband is crap
    Mine is a steady 3Mb with Éir
    They should just say it's not available because that's unusable
    Imagine dipping to 7 or 8mb is useable

If your imagine dips below 4 or 5 frequently and for long periods its also unusable so get it out
    Obviously Facebook should be informed about the false advertising they're doing lately
    They are fairly stringent on that aren't they

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Obviously Facebook should be informed about the false advertising they're doing lately
    They are fairly stringent on that aren't they

Imagine are throwing money at Facebook/Instagram ad manager and google ads, they can probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Earlier today and in the past few minutes:

8221581020.png

8222699894.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The disparity between upload and download on these tests is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The disparity between upload and download on these tests is a bit ridiculous.

That comes from the limits within the spectrum they have. They've downprioritized upload so drastically to even achieve those speeds.

Also, it limits what people actually can effectively download. Once the upload rate is saturated .... that's it.

/M

• Advertisement

I have a suspicion as to whats going on with the high speeds all of a sudden.

If their RRUs/Antennae allow it they may be using both expired trial spectrum and new permanent liberalised spectrum side by side. The first users moved would be on very empty radios for a while. I dont know enough about their RAN to say if this is practical but they can't magically force more data through a smaller pipe.

Advertisement