Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The funds knew this was likely coming down the line yet still invested. So either they are reckless investors or they don't fully believe in the NBP.

It will still be several years before anything goes live from NBP and , call me a cynic but the spec of the NBP says "minimum of 30Mb/s" speed.

So if the provider delivers just that then Imagine will still have a marketing angle to work with.

Reality might be very different , but if the NBP is offering ~30Mb/s service and Imagine can say they offer 100Mb/s then they still have a play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It will still be several years before anything goes live from NBP and , call me a cynic but the spec of the NBP says "minimum of 30Mb/s" speed.

So if the provider delivers just that then Imagine will still have a marketing angle to work with.

Reality might be very different , but if the NBP is offering ~30Mb/s service and Imagine can say they offer 100Mb/s then they still have a play.

NBP is likely to be >95% FTTH so 1Gb available though 150Mb would be most popular at around the same price point as Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NBP is likely to be >95% FTTH so 1Gb available though 150Mb would be most popular at around the same price point as Imagine.

Beware, they could go 1:64!

ED E wrote: »
    Beware, they could go 1:64!

On XGS-PON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has anyone moved home with Imagjne ?
    I am well out of contract so no issue there can just give the notice
    But
    My BB options are going to be even more limited (airwire ) where I am moving. If imagine have a mast in the area I assume i would have to the connection and set up fee again ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I hope you're right , but if the contract they sign with the Government says 30Mb/s minimum what would motivate them to offer 150Mb/s or whatever for a group of customers that everyone says isn't commercially viable?

I hope you're right , but if the contract they sign with the Government says 30Mb/s minimum what would motivate them to offer 150Mb/s or whatever for a group of customers that everyone says isn't commercially viable?

With PON giving you 1Mb or 1000Mb costs them about the same.

I'm lucky enough that , so far 18 months or so in , my Imagine service has actually been pretty decent , always eminently usable and orders of magnitude better than the ~1Mb/s line that I can get via fixed line.

I'm in an NBP area and have set my expectations somewhere significantly below zero at this point.

The Government has confirmed it will be 150Mb/s minimum.
    The appointed Bidder's solution is to set up a wholesale open access company dedicated to the rollout of a predominantly fibre to the premises (FTTP) network in the Intervention Area, which will be capable of delivering a future-proofed high speed broadband network, initially providing services of 150Mbps to the majority of homes and up to 1Gbps to heavy data users and Small and Medium size Enterprises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Biggest-investment-in-Rural-Ireland-since-Electrification-as-Preferred-Bidder-appointed-to-National-Broadband-Plan.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I look forward to the end of Imagine and their future bankruptcy. Couldn't happen to a nicer shower and all their propaganda and attempts to stop the Fibre NBP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They will compete as they have been competing in eir FTTH areas. They are vastly better than eir and other ISPs at promotion. People, including myself, have been predicting their demise for years, yet they stick around and get large scale investment from international funds despite this apparent Sword of Damocles hanging over them.

Their marketing is top notch, they are on the ball every day with that, despite all the negative comments and awful reviews, they carry on with their heads raised high making sure we see those photoshoped customer testimonials, morning speedtests and picture postcard van photos!

Eir and Vodafone's social media marketing is extremely poor in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What can he do?
    He's stuck with the 1% now
    The investors in the NBP might buy him out in areas they need his technology but that's about it
    They're not going to let him harm their plans.
    If anyone who can get fibre in a few years under the NBP stay on imagine, then that's that customers problem tbh

He can do lots of things.

Lower the price of his product.
    Advertise that it's here already and get another few years before many people see FTTH. (The NBP will take years).
    He could also resell FTTH if needs be, the last thing he will do is just give up and call it a day.
    He will probably also launch a new wireless offering and use their social media muscle and people of influence and continue to downplay FTTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    He can do lots of things.

Lower the price of his product.
    Advertise that it's here already and get another few years before many people see FTTH. (The NBP will take years).
    He could also resell FTTH if needs be, the last thing he will do is just give up and call it a day.
    He will probably also launch a new wireless offering and use their social media muscle and people of influence and continue to downplay FTTH.

Tbh,he can do what he likes in those regards,he's entitled to sell his service
    But anyone that takes it when theres something better,we shouldn't be worried about
    The fibre will come to most if they want it now that's what matters
    It's only 300 metres from me so I'll apply for connection the minute the sign up site opens
    That's one customer lost to imagine that you know of isnt it

Tbh,he can do what he likes in those regards,he's entitled to sell his service
    But anyone that takes it when theres something better,we shouldn't be worried about
    The fibre will come to most if they want it now that's what matters
    It's only 300 metres from me so I'll apply for connection the minute the sign up site opens
    That's one customer lost to imagine that you know of isnt it

When FTTH finally passes a home with previously wireless only options, the obvious thing to do is sign up and save 5 euros per month for a real fibre connection. This is great news for the majority of people here who have had very uneven results from Imagine. Hopefully you'll get connected sooner rather than later.

However not everyone knows the difference between FTTH or Imagines wireless service as they label it as fibre. Bolger will be banking on those who know no better, to stay with Imagine.

I can't imagine how wonderful the feeling is to say bye bye Imagine, hello proper future proofed internet and saving 5 euro per month in the process!. I'm delighted for everyone here that there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Gonzo wrote: »

However not everyone knows the difference between FTTH or Imagines wireless service as they label it as fibre. Bolger will be banking on those who know no better, to stay with Imagine.
    Aye,its not an ideal business model to be pitching to funds though
    I can't imagine how wonderful the feeling is to say bye bye Imagine, hello proper future proofed internet and saving 5 euro per month in the process!. I'm delighted for everyone here that there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

To be fair,Imagine aren't great overall but without them,I and 1000's like me wouldn't even be able to watch Netflix
    Even your previous poor DSL speed was twice what I had ie terrible and it passed for broadband 'so called '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭skinny90

Aye,its not an ideal business model to be pitching to funds though

To be fair,Imagine aren't great overall but without them,I and 1000's like me wouldn't even be able to watch Netflix
    Even your previous poor DSL speed was twice what I had ie terrible and it passed for broadband 'so called '

When we expect to get FTTH? I cannot get anything on the land line
    This won’t be available on imagine no?

skinny90 wrote: »
    When we expect to get FTTH? I cannot get anything on the land line
    This won’t be available on imagine no?

depending on where you live and where they build first, it will be sometime between 2020 and 2027, realistically it will probably take till 2030 before FTTH is a choice available to every home in the country.

No Imagine don't offer FTTH or any fixed line broadband for that matter, they are a wireless operator. Imagine use 4G LTE to bring wireless to peoples homes. They claim 5g but 5g is nowhere in Ireland yet and they are not fibre either, they have fibre to some masts but that's as far as the fibre goes.

km79 wrote: »
    Has anyone moved home with Imagjne ?
    I am well out of contract so no issue there can just give the notice
    But
    My BB options are going to be even more limited (airwire ) where I am moving. If imagine have a mast in the area I assume i would have to the connection and set up fee again ?

This got lost amid all the NBP chatter ( for which there is a dedicated thread )
    Anyone ?

This got lost amid all the NBP chatter ( for which there is a dedicated thread )
    Anyone ?

I'm guessing but I would expect they will want to charge you a connection fee again as it would require a new installation in your new home. Perhaps you can ask them to waive it for you.

Anyone ?

I'm guessing but I would expect they will want to charge you a connection fee again as it would require a new installation in your new home. Perhaps you can ask them to waive it for you.
    That’s what I’m thinking hoping
    No FAQ in their website
    Was hoping someone had been through it

I have has a fantastic experience and am dreading going back to third world internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

Was going to go with this crowd but reading reviews their service seems worse than my current Three simcard and router setup.

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this but homes about 400m from me and my neighbors have FTTH. We had a group meeting of the 10 or so houses and were wondering if we paid would Eir extend the line would they do so? As I said its exactly 400m to a cluster of 5 houses and then there's a further 5 houses down my lane-way, so 10 houses all relatively very close for a rural setting.

Anyone with any experience of this I'd really appreciate your feedback

Was going to go with this crowd but reading reviews their service seems worse than my current Three simcard and router setup.

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this but homes about 400m from me and my neighbors have FTTH. We had a group meeting of the 10 or so houses and were wondering if we paid would Eir extend the line would they do so? As I said its exactly 400m to a cluster of 5 houses and then there's a further 5 houses down my lane-way, so 10 houses all relatively very close for a rural setting.

You could group together to set up a point to point system to share the broadband from one of the houses 400 metres away
    There are others here doing it who are qualified to talk about it,I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

You could group together to set up a point to point system to share the broadband from one of the houses 400 metres away
    There are others here doing it who are qualified to talk about it,I'm not

Very interested in hearing more about this as it's something I've never heard of? Anyone who could shed some light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Sharing the connection would be completely against Eir's TOS. I suspect you will need to wait for the NBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

d31b0y wrote: »
    Sharing the connection would be completely against Eir's TOS. I suspect you will need to wait for the NBP.

I know people sharing connections and also people charging others for it also, there is dozens of unauthorised wireless sharing ad-hoc WISPS like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

d31b0y wrote: »

Who says, that you have to order with Eir ? There are more than 10 providers, that offer service on OpenEIR FTTC and FTTH. And most of them don't care, if you share.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thescruffyone

Any help or advice appreciated! :

I'm living between Avoca and Rathdrum and doing my best with Wicklow broadband - currently have 14Mb down with 4mb up. Costing me a fortune though - 80 euro per month. Good consistent service just not enough bandwidth.

I've been weighing up options - namely Imagine and Eir.

Imagine have just arrived in the area (posters and rep in van) offering 150mb high speed broadband - sixty quid. From reading this thread the off-peak might be terrible. Plus 2 year contract and the customer service issues are a put off.

Eir can offer me next gen broadband through phone line. 45 euro with 24Mb up and down.

Anyone have the Eir package? Any good? is it enough for streaming and video conferencing??

Is Imagine worth the risk?

Eir can offer me next gen broadband through phone line. 45 euro with 24Mb up and down.

Hah, no. Its 24D 2U and thats at short range. If you're in the middle of the two it'll be 1-10Mb range.

Use this map to check if your house is "blue" - fiber soon or "amber" - fibre by 2027.
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help or advice appreciated! :

I'm living between Avoca and Rathdrum and doing my best with Wicklow broadband - currently have 14Mb down with 4mb up. Costing me a fortune though - 80 euro per month. Good consistent service just not enough bandwidth.

I've been weighing up options - namely Imagine and Eir.

Imagine have just arrived in the area (posters and rep in van) offering 150mb high speed broadband - sixty quid. From reading this thread the off-peak might be terrible. Plus 2 year contract and the customer service issues are a put off.

Anyone have the Eir package? Any good? is it enough for streaming and video conferencing??

Is Imagine worth the risk?
    imagine have been in your area for two and a half years...
    If you are in coverage and its likely you are if they've put up posters near you,then it's an option
    You'll get maybe a 100 daytime and probably 20 to 30 at night with spikes of sub 10 in the evening
    Everything works most of the time
    Get the fibre when it comes and leave imagine
    I'd only recommend them as a stop gap
    They're 20 quid a month cheaper than your current provider but you get a VoIP landline service with that which you can use on an app on your mobile or just plug your phone into imagines modem
    It has unlimited landline calls in Ireland included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Again, you only hear the bad reviews on here. Currently I get over 20Mbps peak and 50Mbps + off-peak. I haven't had any major issues with it in over 18 months so it really does depend on your mast and it's backhaul etc.

Yes, their marketing is pure bulls#it but it does suit my needs for now.

Advertisement