Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Again, you only hear the bad reviews on here. Currently I get over 20Mbps peak and 50Mbps + off-peak. I haven't had any major issues with it in over 18 months so it really does depend on your mast and it's backhaul etc.

Yes, their marketing is pure bulls#it but it does suit my needs for now.
    Near Avoca its barrackcroghan, the same as me
    So I'd expect a decent service depending on line of sight etc
    The caveat being,why are they only promoting it in that fringe area now,2 and a half years since that mast went live
    It is a fringe area so I dont know but if the OP is reading this,if he can see the Croghan windmills, it's over near there and you can certainly see them from Rathdrums grave yard on the Avoca Arklow road

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thescruffyone

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Near Avoca its barrackcroghan, the same as me
    So I'd expect a decent service depending on line of sight etc
    The caveat being,why are they only promoting it in that fringe area now,2 and a half years since that mast went live
    It is a fringe area so I dont know but if the OP is reading this,if he can see the Croghan windmills, it's over near there and you can certainly see them from Rathdrums grave yard on the Avoca Arklow road

We're pretty rural, so maybe thats why we're only getting the posters and reps now, we're amber area for fibre in 2027. I can see the windmills - our antenna for Wicklow BB is pointing straight at what looks like a big white mast to the left of the windmills. Based off of what you say it looks like Imagine are my best bet.

ED E wrote: »
    Hah, no. Its 24D 2U and thats at short range. If you're in the middle of the two it'll be 1-10Mb range.

Use this map to check if your house is "blue" - fiber soon or "amber" - fibre by 2027.

I'm getting better speeds with Wicklow BB so. Thanks for heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Again, you only hear the bad reviews on here. Currently I get over 20Mbps peak and 50Mbps + off-peak. I haven't had any major issues with it in over 18 months so it really does depend on your mast and it's backhaul etc.

Yes, their marketing is pure bulls#it but it does suit my needs for now.

Im the same

We're pretty rural, so maybe thats why we're only getting the posters and reps now, we're amber area for fibre in 2027. I can see the windmills - our antenna for Wicklow BB is pointing straight at what looks like a big white mast to the left of the windmills. Based off of what you say it looks like Imagine are my best bet.

I'm on a list to get installation in June with Imagine. The limit is 150 users per sector. So we'll see what the engineer reading is like. I asked about contract break out clause. They don't offer that. I also queried the number of disgruntled customer online - was told that things have changed since February since new systems have been put in place.

• Advertisement

I'm on a list to get installation in June with Imagine. The limit is 150 users per sector. So we'll see what the engineer reading is like. I asked about contract break out clause. They don't offer that. I also queried the number of disgruntled customer online - was told that things have changed since February since new systems have been put in place.

The latter part on things have changed since February is Bull
    The contract used have a 100 Euro break out fee
    I'm out of contract
    But it is what it is,a mostly useful stopgap until that real fibre gets to you

I notice btw no mention of this week's NBI announcement on their social media, surprise surprise
    They always have the anti Nbp articles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Things are changing, Imagine are losing a chunk of spectrum post auction. When transitioning ends itll be worse not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Was going to go with this crowd but reading reviews their service seems worse than my current Three simcard and router setup.
    It depends where you are, I have both Three €30 a month and Imagine, Imagine is 5 times faster than Three both at peak and off peak times, I am with Imagine for 4 months now, it wasn't that fast, it is getting fast in the last month or so, It is enough to stream anything, " I don't stream 4K", Three used to be good but now their router is sitting there idle waiting for their contract to finish.
    I will post a speed test for Imagine now and at 9 pm "if I remember", both tests will be done once using Vodafone as a host.

8249970812.png

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Thinking of getting imagine and want to find out do they block you doing anything like downloading torrents. Is the speed good at peak times. I am with three and the last two weeks I can't load a full HD video on YouTube. I am getting about 1.5 - 2.5 mb speed.

• Advertisement

There is no difficulty receiving videos from your cousins on imagine

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I will post a speed test for Imagine now and at 9 pm "if I remember", both tests will be done once using Vodafone as a host.

8249970812.png

8251237966.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Was getting download of 20mbps with 3, just did a speed test now and down load is .70, it's been like this for a couple of months, I've no idea what is wrong but am cancelling my direct debit, this is a rubbish service, was on to chat support two weeks ago to be told I had excellent reception at my eircode address!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

august12 wrote: »
    Was getting download of 20mbps with 3, just did a speed test now and down load is .70, it's been like this for a couple of months, I've no idea what is wrong but am cancelling my direct debit, this is a rubbish service, was on to chat support two weeks ago to be told I had excellent reception at my eircode address!!!

the service/mast your on is completely oversubscribed, that's what is wrong, no point paying 60 euros per month for 0.70meg.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the service/mast your on is completely oversubscribed, that's what is wrong, no point paying 60 euros per month for 0.70meg.
    I'm sick of it, constantly switching from one service to another, had thought I was on to a winner with this as was so good over the winter, it's 30 euro a month for nothing, I'm only getting h+ now, not even 3g, options here arn't great given where I live.

I'm sick of it, constantly switching from one service to another, had thought I was on to a winner with this as was so good over the winter, it's 30 euro a month for nothing, I'm only getting h+ now, not even 3g, options here arn't great given where I live.

The speed I get with Three today

8251382226.png

The speed I get with Three today

8251382226.png
    I would.be happy with that.

I would.be happy with that.

Buy external antenna

Buy external antenna
    Can you direct me please to which type??

Can you direct me please to which type??

What router do you use ?

• Advertisement

If the antenna is for three, I am thinking of getting one. Will it make any difference. I have the router huawei b525. Don't want to spend to much. If it would give me a 2-3mb speed increases I would be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Isn't H+ better than 3G.

No not always, I have three and 4g is unusable 3g is much better but still not good.

No not always, I have three and 4g is unusable 3g is much better but still not good.

What? :confused:

3G < H < H+ < 4G < 4G+

main-qimg-ac97f4b0cbf615d5c7d4eb9aa9a7b4f8

Yes it should be better but where I live using three, 3g signal is better.

If the antenna is for three, I am thinking of getting one. Will it make any difference. I have the router huawei b525. Don't want to spend to much. If it would give me a 2-3mb speed increases I would be happy.

Before you buy put the router "when it is not raining" outdoor in the place you will put the antenna and test your speed, that is the speed you will get, direct the antenna in the general direction of the mast.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0001-Cross-Polarised-4G-Omni-LTE-Antenna/112108534419?epid=27027202650&hash=item1a1a307a93:g:be0AAOSwgrtca-Cv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its really not uncommon for 3G to surpass 4G in the downstream.
    - Devices default to 4G so it sees heavy congestion
    - Signal may be far better in some conditions on 900Mhz 3G vs 1800Mhz 4G etc

What? :confused:

I have Three, I had Rural Wifi "uses Three network". When I complained to them because of slow speed in the evening both told me 1- restart the router. "no change" 2-Switch to 3G
    Three network is heavily congested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Does anyone know what the newer antennas they're using are capable of (client side) total ?

I know, that the sectors are 603 Mbit/s down / 150.8 Mbit/s up (LTE Cat 12 download/Cat 13 upload). But what the client handle, if permitted ?

It would also be interesting to know, what actual bandwidth they can pass on the sectors, seeing that they only have an 80 or 85 MHz wide allocation for each county and the Gemtek sector probably only delivers full whack at 80 MHz. Again .. no fully comprehensive specifications to be found.

/M

Advertisement