Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Guy told the wife today that Ballymanus site in Co Wicklow is brand new only online 1 month. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

god's toy wrote: »
    Guy told the wife today that Ballymanus site in Co Wicklow is brand new only online 1 month. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

Yup,It is

Gonzo wrote: »
    For most people it slows down to single digits but i've seen speedtests posted on their Facebook page (later removed by Imagine) as low as 0.007 megs which is dial up speeds. Unlikely you'll get as low as that, but letting you know Imagine's Service isn't the magical 'fibre' like experience they claim and speeds can vary massively from one end of the day of the other. Very expensive product too at 60 euros for such an unstable service.

To be fair Gonzo,we have NO idea if that's most people's experience
    Its usually only people with problems that rush to social media
    In my own case its slowness in the evening has not affected anything except a few times in 2 years which is WAY way better than any current alternative ( with the exception of the other wisp in the area Whizzy)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hadenoughofit

Hi M. I'd have signed up to Imagine last week IF marketing fluff apart the T&C or customer service offered any meaningful commitment to the delivery of a defined minimum level of service - or even a half decent release clause.

Customer service flat out despite repeated requests refused to even mention a minimum performance level.

The service on the new masts may well be fine, traffic levels may well be subject to a maximum that all else being equal should guarantee a decent service, and the new ownership may amount to a new broom - we for example apart from a few short glitchy periods did very nicely on Digiweb Metro until they closed down our local mast.

Two years/€1,440 or theabouts is however a significant punt on a company that's seemingly not confident enough in it's own product and/or in its remaining competitive for long enough to provide any sort of reasonable customer determined safety net at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    In my own case its slowness in the evening has not affected anything except a few times in 2 years which is WAY way better than any current alternative ( with the exception of the other wisp in the area Whizzy)

true, but with all the negative comments here and especially on Facebook and Twitter, it certainly looks poor for a good number of people, what the percentage make up is we will never know. It's enough for me not to trust the company, especially when all they do is delete posts and post up pictures of vans (which makes no sense from a broadband sales point of view).

You've definitely done better than many people, your one of the few who does post up decent speedtests during peak hours. Hopefully it will stay decent for you until your FTTH line is ready to be installed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I will run a test in few minutes

8292996581.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Ballina mast, house 3km away from mast:

Time 20:30:

9Mb down

0.6Mb up

Ballina mast is old and probably very full. This will be the case for all masts if Imagine are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

North kildare Cappagh mast.
    9Mb down 1 Up, fairly standard for this time of the evening. Old mast with “Up to” 70Mb product!
    Suppose I can expect 18Mb when they upgrade it to their 150Mb product!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Just got an email saying they're bringing out 5G to the masts and officially getting rid of the daily data usage (although that hasn't been enforced at all since I've been with them).

Anybody have any idea of the time frame that this is gonna take?

With the NBP not making any headway, these are still my only option for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

share the email you got...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Wing126 wrote: »
    Just got an email saying they're bringing out 5G to the masts and officially getting rid of the daily data usage (although that hasn't been enforced at all since I've been with them).

Anybody have any idea of the time frame that this is gonna take?

With the NBP not making any headway, these are still my only option for broadband.
    All masts or just yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I got the same email this evening

Hi
    great news, we are upgrading our network to 5G ready Fixed Broadband. As part of this, over the coming months we will also be upgrading your existing imagine broadband service which will include new benefits as listed below. With the network upgrade already underway, customers are already experiencing the benefits of the new technologies, smarter network monitoring, advanced optimisation solutions and greater network capacity that form part of this next generation, 5G ready network upgrade.

So what does this mean for you?
    Your existing imagine broadband service will include the following:

Unlimited monthly data usage, watch what you want, when you want
    Increased broadband speeds, seamless broadband, buffer free
    60 minutes of calls to Irish mobiles, totally free
    Free UK landline calls as part of your call pack, totally free
    No increase to your monthly pack charge, so no extra cost to you
    No change to your current contract term - you're not being tied in

Some changes to your terms and conditions
    Due to upgrading your service and the above benefits you will receive, we will have to make some changes to your existing terms and conditions. We will send you notification of these changes and when they will take effect in a separate email.

Thanks for spreading the word!
    With so many of our new customers coming by way of personal recommendation and positive review, we're over the moon to receive such high praise from our existing customers. Thank you for your continued support and recognition as we continue to bring Superfast Broadband to thousands of homes and businesses across regional and rural Ireland.

If you have any questions about this upgrade, we'd love to talk to you, so please give our customer care team a call on 1800 938 100.

Thanks for reading and thanks for being our customer,
    it means the world to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Got the same email, Maghera mast in County Clare, upgrading to 5G over the next few months, no data cap, increased speeds, no extra charge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hadenoughofit

Still no mention of an exit clause, or of a minimum performance level commitment.

Wonder what the changes to the T&C by separate email are likely to be? Possibly insignificant, but presumably (?) not adding anything for the customer or they would be in the marketing mail.

Seems in the general sense these days that the gap between what marketing blurbs says and T&C is getting wider and wider. Seems to me that they should be required to be always together...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

shane14 wrote: »
    Got the same email, Maghera mast in County Clare, upgrading to 5G over the next few months, no data cap, increased speeds, no extra charge etc.

as usual lies from Imagine.

There is no 5G, it's 4G LTE. It's simply 5G ready, but that doesn't mean they are using 5g. 5g is nowhere in Ireland yet.
    There is a cap of 1tb per month.

Will be interesting to see how their network copes with having no cap at all, if that's what they are going to do.

As suspected, it’s not unlimited and has a fair usuage of 1TB per month.

From the 1st of July 2019 we are changing your broadband package from having a 20Gb a day data usage limit to Unlimited monthly data usage subject to a Fair Usage Policy of 1TB and the Acceptable Use Policy

This term is hilarious!

8.2 You acknowledge that the speed for each LTE Broadband Package are maximum speeds and are not guaranteed. Due to the shared nature of broadband access these speeds may be reduced from time to time due to other users.

Should read - Will be reduced significantly between 6pm and 11pm every day due to contention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Got that email this morning about the contract change from July 1st
    I’ve been out of contract for over 12 months now though
    I better double check this doesn’t tie me in to another !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gonzo wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how their network copes with having no cap at all, if that's what they are going to do.

There hasn't been daily caps in months. None. Zero probably about ten months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

listermint wrote: »
    There hasn't been daily caps in months. None. Zero probably about ten months

This has been my experience as well
    I had actually forgot about it

km79 wrote: »
    Got that email this morning about the contract change from July 1st
    I’ve been out of contract for over 12 months now though
    I better double check this doesn’t tie me in to another !

Ditto
    Let me know too as I'll switch to whizzy who also do fibre when it comes
    I've not got the email yet

Got 2 emails
    One saying service is being upgraded to new faster service (we'll see but in fairness my mast hasn't been too bad)
    It also says No extra length,we are not tying you in

2nd email is the contract details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got 2 emails
    One saying service is being upgraded to new faster service (we'll see but in fairness my mast hasn't been too bad)
    It also says No extra length,we are not tying you in

2nd email is the contract details

Did they highlight the changes in the contract?

I expect with contract change you would have the option to cancel if you wished?

Did they highlight the changes in the contract?

I expect with contract change you would have the option to cancel if you wished?

Yeah highlights and full details
    I'm out of contract and it says I'm not being tied in,ie cancel without penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

Got email too, and tonight results are
    8303862810.png

If they upgrade to 150mb maybe I can get 2mb

8.2 You acknowledge that the speed for each LTE Broadband Package are maximum speeds and are not guaranteed. Due to the shared nature of broadband access these speeds may be reduced from time to time due to other users. You also acknowledge that the best speeds will always be achieved by connecting your device via an Ethernet cable to the modem. Speeds over wireless connections will vary based on the quality of your Wi-Fi signal, distance from and placement of the router, the amount of users connected and other electrical devices that may be using the wireless channel e.g. cordless phones, microwaves or baby monitors. You acknowledge that keeping up to date with software, firmware and antivirus updates may also ensure your device(s) will be able to achieve optimum speeds. Speeds achievable and service quality are strictly subject to your device(s) and service capabilities

8.5 The Network is designed for normal residential use and we reserve the right to apply restrictions on any Customer whose behaviour is deemed to be affecting the overall user experience of other Customers on the network in accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy. Such behaviour includes, but are not limited to, instances of running excessive concurrent internet sessions or regularly accessing excessive bandwidth intensive Peer-to-Peer applications, video streams, website hosting and large file downloads. Customer's whom we deem to disproportionately use the service will be deprioritised which may reduce the download speed achievable at peak times. This reduced priority does not limit the usage of the service or restrict the amount of data that can be consumed over time but is necessary to ensure fair and balanced access to network resources amongst all Customers and to ensure that excessive use of the service by certain Customers does not disproportionately impact the service available to others. If we notice continual, disproportionate or abnormal download or upload usage patterns we reserve the right to terminate the provision of your LTE Service(s).

• Advertisement

Peer-to-Peer applications, video streams, website hosting and large file downloads(s).
    Why would you need 150 Mbps then?. 30 Euro PAYG would be more than enough for anything else

Advertisement