Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Why would you need 150 Mbps then?. 30 Euro PAYG would be more than enough for anything else

I presume because imagine don't want you (trying) to use their '5g' for this :D

Probably have similar results anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Long shot here but I dont suppose anybody has extended their home network with additional access points in their home using Apple time machines?
    I have my imagine router wired to a switch which also has my two time machines from other parts of house wired back to it.
    Both of my time machines have started acting erratically since yesterday (Devices not connecting, occasionally connecting, connecting and getting assigned from imagine router but no connection to internet, etc...)

I ran some wireless diagnostics and discovered that the Imagine router is broadcasting itself as in Taiwan (TW)!
    My two time machines are in Ireland (IE).

I came across links on web describing how this can cause issues on network:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/211993/how-to-fix-conflicting-country-codes-and-improve-your-macs-wi-fi/

Has anyone had this issue?
    Could anyone with an extended home network check what country their Imagine router is saying it's in?

482152.png

482153.png

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ignore that whole article.

In theory, and I'm very very skeptical that you'd have issues in practice, having a TW or IE code in the US would matter. US us 11 chans, we use 13 so the US "mode" device might not look for a CH12/13 broadcast. Taiwan and nearly all the world uses 13 Channels so IE and TW can be considered the synonymous.

ED E wrote: »
    Ignore that whole article.

In theory, and I'm very very skeptical that you'd have issues in practice, having a TW or IE code in the US would matter. US us 11 chans, we use 13 so the US "mode" device might not look for a CH12/13 broadcast. Taiwan and nearly all the world uses 13 Channels so IE and TW can be considered the synonymous.

Yeah you could be right, seems I can’t even get a connection to the imagine router when I wire directly to my MacBook via thunderbolt now. Wonder is there something up with the two lan ports on the imagine router.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

8323769928.png

I'm out, done with imagine. Cancelling during the week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Braytek wrote: »
    8323769928.png

slower than my dial up connection in 1996. let them know why your leaving, give genuine feedback to how bad their service is before you cancel. Cancelling without proper feedback to them insn't helpful and may let them know something is terribly wrong with their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonzo wrote: »
    slower than my dial up connection in 1996. let them know why your leaving, give genuine feedback to how bad their service is before you cancel. Cancelling without proper feedback to them insn't helpful and may let them know something is terribly wrong with their service.

What impact can that have?

A) Imagine do nothing as they can do nothing, they lost their spectrum.

B) Imagine terminate service with 30% of their customers so the rest have an OK time - never gonna happen.

Current speed 44 down 6 up
    Barrackcroghan mast north wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Braytek wrote: »
    8323769928.png

Iirc, someone on here posted 0.04/0.05 before. Unfortunately, I believe you’re now the new record holder on here for the slowest Speedtest on imagine.

Gonzo wrote: »

The min wage employee that answers that call won't care
    The powers that be driving the imagine bus won't see that reason either
    They're putting up new masts at the moment all over the shop,3 new ones in Wicklow alone
    Who ever is driving their bus is I'm pretty sure well funded and gambling on the NBP collapsing meaning Imagine will be there to mop up the fall out
    Most Irish people seem happy with 6 to 12mb it seems which is part of the reason we have this mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They're putting up new masts at the moment all over the shop,3 new ones in Wicklow alone

Any chance you know where they are putting them?
    Or where you got the info regarding them. Thanks.

I know they got a big cash injection from some Canadian business a while back ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Claylander

Hope ye don't mind me asking a question, they contacted me yesterday to say their new 5g site now gone live, I'm living 1.5miles away from the it but the reviews are shocking, anyone here on a new 5g site and how do they find it..I'm currently with 3 as only other option here, it can from 100 download to 1.5 in the evening I'm wondering if a case of better the devil you know..
    Any advice would be much appreciated.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Claylander wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind me asking a question, they contacted me yesterday to say their new 5g site now gone live, I'm living 1.5miles away from the it but the reviews are shocking, anyone here on a new 5g site and how do they find it..I'm currently with 3 as only other option here, it can from 100 download to 1.5 in the evening I'm wondering if a case of better the devil you know..
    Any advice would be much appreciated.....

Did you say you were getting 100Mbps from Three during the day down to 1.5Mbps in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Claylander

Did you say you were getting 100Mbps from Three during the day down to 1.5Mbps in the evening?

It's mainly late in the night and very early morning but it's depends mthis morning I only got 15mb download, yesterday it was 48mb,last night at 7pm it was 2mb..all over the place...
    I'm watching their fb page and all bad comments seem to be about their old masts, haven't seen any yet about the 5g masts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Claylander wrote: »
    haven't seen any yet about the 5g masts..

Imagine have 5G masts????

user1842 wrote: »
    Imagine have 5G masts????

I believe the term is "5G-ready" :-D
    I really wish Comreg would lay down the law as to how/when spectrum licensees can use terms like that in their marketing.
    5G uses the 3.6Ghz spectrum, and until the 5G spectrum auction in 2017, Imagine used that spectrum for their "LTE" service. LTE (and more specifically LTE-A, AKA 4G+) is easily capable of reaching the 150Mbps speeds that Imagine is advertising as 5G. It can actually go higher than 1Gbps.

I suspect Imagine will explain it away by claiming they're technically using 5G spectrum (which is true). But they're under pressure to vacate some of the spectrum they previously held (but lost as part of the 5G auction), as it's preventing the telecom operators from rolling out _actual_ 5G deployments
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/comreg-admits-to-paying-rebates-to-5g-auction-winners-1.3868344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Remember "5G ready" is not the same as "5G".. technically a steel pole is "5G ready" and the current spectrum being used is subject to congestion (as many here are well aware), over subscribed access points and over promised sales are a big issue here

god's toy wrote: »
    Any chance you know where they are putting them?
    Or where you got the info regarding them. Thanks.

I know they got a big cash injection from some Canadian business a while back ...

They've a new one just north of Wicklow town and of course over in Ballymanus
    Barrackcroghan, the one I'm on,is in co wexford but may aswell be in Wicklow as it's on the border
    The sites are all on their Facebook page

Lunchtime
    Over 5g wif beside the modem

87d9805d00c9c6c12a87f880ee456d59.jpg

Lunchtime
    Over 5g wif beside the modem

87d9805d00c9c6c12a87f880ee456d59.jpg

Impressive indeed! What's it like in the evening?

• Advertisement

Impressive indeed! What's it like in the evening?

Anywhere from 15 to 40 at peak usually
    Low 20's would be average
    Just now its 51.5
    Quite useable

From 9 in the morning until at least 4pm,you'd see speeds in the 90 to 170 range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anywhere from 15 to 40 at peak usually
    Low 20's would be average
    Just now its 51.5
    Quite useable

From 9 in the morning until at least 4pm,you'd see speeds in the 90 to 170 range
    Can I ask how long you are with them and was it always this 'good' (or 'bad' depending on what some people want.. I'd be happy with 20 ffs)

god's toy wrote: »
    Can I ask how long you are with them and was it always this 'good' (or 'bad' depending on what some people want.. I'd be happy with 20 ffs)

I'm with them since October 17
    Yes it's always been like this here
    There have been a few times when it's gone to a crawl but rare

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Does anyone game (specifically PC gaming) on Imagine? And if so, do they play anything like Overwatch / PUBG / CSGO / Rocket League?

Im pulling my hair out with latency issues. Keep getting ping spikes at night time. And my average latency is ~80ms. Makes most games unplayable.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

NakQuada wrote: »
    Does anyone game (specifically PC gaming) on Imagine? And if so, do they play anything like Overwatch / PUBG / CSGO / Rocket League?

Im pulling my hair out with latency issues. Keep getting ping spikes at night time. And my average latency is ~80ms. Makes most games unplayable.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Wired or wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So just got this from Imagine - they are looking for 100 Euro, while at the same time saying we won't pay anything
    There is a once off call out charge of €100 for our network engineers to visit your premises and replace your existing equipment with our new 5G ready hardware free of charge.

Here's the whole eMail:
    We're Upgrading Our Network
    Hi, great news, we have now started the upgrade of our existing network to the next generation, 5G ready Fixed Broadband service. With multiple locations being upgraded every week, this project is scheduled to be completed within the next 18 weeks.

Once your area has been upgraded, you will be able to upgrade to the new 5G ready, Superfast Broadband service.

So what are the benefits if I choose to upgrade?

Unlimited monthly data usage, watch what you want, when you want

Increased broadband speeds, up to 150mbps buffer free broadband

Smart WiFi - faster, dual band WiFi with automatic channel selection

60 minutes of calls to Irish mobiles, totally free

No increase to your monthly charge, so no extra cost to you

No change to your current contract term - you’re not being tied in

Next generation ready - new optimised hardware, software and firmware

What do I need to do - How do I upgrade?

We will let you know once your local area has been upgraded and you will then be given the option to upgrade to the new 5G ready, Superfast Broadband service.

Is there a cost to upgrade to the 5G ready service?

There is a once off call out charge of €100 for our network engineers to visit your premises and replace your existing equipment with our new 5G ready hardware free of charge.

Thanks for spreading the word!
    With so many of our new customers coming by way of personal recommendation and positive review, we’re over the moon to receive such high praise from our existing customers. Thank you for your continued support and recognition as we continue to bring Superfast Broadband to thousands of homes and businesses across regional and rural Ireland.

If you have any questions about this upgrade, we’d love to talk to you so please get in touch by calling our Customer Care team on 1800 938 100

Thanks for reading and thanks for being our customer,
    it means the world to us.

Signed
    Niamh McCabe
    Head of Imagine Customer Care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea got that too earlier today. The 100 € are allegedly a call-out charge.
    Before I consider it (if or when they manage to upgrade the Bweeng mast, which is full) I will quiz them on that equipment and if I can still use my own router or what kind of access you get to configure your own network.
    Service was rotten yesterday which "optimisation" works being carried out.
    Otherwise I am happy enough with the service (typically between 8 to 35ish peak, 70+ off peak). It is what it is, warts & all. Actually way better than what a friend of mine can get in Cork City (old mature estate, no fibre, just sucky FTHC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

My thinking is the same - I have a router with Gargoyle sitting on front of the imagine router for monitoring my traffic / connections etc.
    As long as I can continue to use that (don't see why I couldn't as long as there is a LAN port on the new router) I'll probably go for it.
    100 seems a bit steep - are they saying we have a choice ? Looks like they are....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

morgana wrote: »
    Yea got that too earlier today. The 100 € are allegedly a call-out charge.
    Before I consider it (if or when they manage to upgrade the Bweeng mast, which is full) I will quiz them on that equipment and if I can still use my own router or what kind of access you get to configure your own network.
    Service was rotten yesterday which "optimisation" works being carried out.
    Otherwise I am happy enough with the service (typically between 8 to 35ish peak, 70+ off peak). It is what it is, warts & all. Actually way better than what a friend of mine can get in Cork City (old mature estate, no fibre, just sucky FTHC)

70+ off peak :eek: ... I'm off the Bweeng mast and max I ever get is 30-35, during peak hours it can fall to 5-10

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    My thinking is the same - I have a router with Gargoyle sitting on front of the imagine router for monitoring my traffic / connections etc.
    As long as I can continue to use that (don't see why I couldn't as long as there is a LAN port on the new router) I'll probably go for it.
    100 seems a bit steep - are they saying we have a choice ? Looks like they are....

I’d love to know are they charging €100 to simply plug in a new router for you or do they also have to replace the external antenna

Advertisement