Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The upgrade is only an upgrade while few avail of it. I'd sit on what you have and see speeds increase as customers move onto the new 60Mhz allocation. Then eventually when Imagine tell you they have to upgrade or cut you off, cancel the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

About 8 weeks ago I had a problem with the old Gemtek router causing drop outs. The engineers came and said they can't replace old with old and don't have anything other than the new kit, so they replaced the router and the antenna with the new 5g compatable stuff. The engineer said they don't mess about trying to fault find the old gear.

There are 2 connections available, one of them 5g but this one is not active.

They can't charge the 100 euro if you have faulty gear...just saying.....

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It would need a new antenna and new compatible router so it's the same as a new install basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

ED E wrote: »
    The upgrade is only an upgrade while few avail of it. I'd sit on what you have and see speeds increase as customers move onto the new 60Mhz allocation. Then eventually when Imagine tell you they have to upgrade or cut you off, cancel the service.

No issue with waiting it out, but cancelling if the push comes to the shove for what? No other option unless the NBP unicorns have magically appeared in the meantime ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

morgana wrote: »
    No issue with waiting it out, but cancelling if the push comes to the shove for what? No other option unless the NBP unicorns have magically appeared in the meantime ...

Same here - only other option I had before imagine was 60 Euro for Eircom for a 5 Meg connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

morgana wrote: »

If you've no coverage from the MNOs then you may be in trouble.

Imagine have been using as much as they want of a block of almost 300Mhz. They now have 60Mhz and the rest has to be relinquished to Vodafone. 4G vs 5G is immaterial, spectrum is to wireless networks as acreage is to farmers. The network is gonna get very cramped very quickly unless they try to drag it through the courts.

When Eir/Three/Vodafone can offer 225Mb+ using 100+ Mhz aggregated and Imagine are left on 60Mhz the tables will turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Lads. I've just signed up to Imagine, and was with Nova broadband in Cork for the last few years. Given I don't have much choice in rural Ireland, it's a fiver cheaper, and a lot faster, with a 10gb a day limit more. In fairness to Nova, they are pretty good. But my problem is, I cannot access the Imagine router. Password is locked. So, can anyone tell me if the CPE on the roof is 24v and POE? And if it is, can I use a spare 24v POE to run the CPE and use my existing router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lads. I've just signed up to Imagine, and was with Nova broadband in Cork for the last few years. Given I don't have much choice in rural Ireland, it's a fiver cheaper, and a lot faster, with a 10gb a day limit more. In fairness to Nova, they are pretty good. But my problem is, I cannot access the Imagine router. Password is locked. So, can anyone tell me if the CPE on the roof is 24v and POE? And if it is, can I use a spare 24v POE to run the CPE and use my existing router?

I don't believe so. You may be able to bridge it but would have to talk to imagine support for that.

Let us know what the outcome is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

There is no daily limit on imagine anymore .........

Will do. Can you tell me that it must be the router ( WVRTM130CN ) , that can only be used with their equipment? Surely there must be other compatiabe routers that will work that doesn't require Imagines permission to access it.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    True, It's a FUP of 1TB a month. But with Nova, 20gb a day*30 days=600gb. That's kinda the way I was working it out

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

km79 wrote: »
    True, It's a FUP of 1TB a month. But with Nova, 20gb a day*30 days=600gb. That's kinda the way I was working it out
    There's no limit at all on Nova anymore. Truly unlimited.

Off peak speeds on Imagine probably higher though, for instance early morning, or during the wee hours of the night, etc. Peak time speeds maybe higher on Nova although might be dependent on where you are. Nature of wireless.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    There's no limit at all on Nova anymore. Truly unlimited.

I wasn't aware of that. I knew they called it unlimited, and you were never cut off, but slowed down to the point of no internet access once you went over 20gb, so limited that way. I did notice I did go over the limit a few times , but never knew that they have changed the FUP to totally unlimited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I wasn't aware of that. I knew they called it unlimited, and you were never cut off, but slowed down to the point of no internet access once you went over 20gb, so limited that way. I did notice I did go over the limit a few times , but never knew that they have changed the FUP to totally unlimited

Just switch over to their SuperNova package - 45E/Month
    Up to 50Mbps. I was doing some pretty heavy downloading a couple of weeks ago, and I rang them to confirm there was no throttling, and they explicitly said there was none on the phone

Just switch over to their SuperNova package - 45E/Month
    Up to 50Mbps. I was doing some pretty heavy downloading a couple of weeks ago, and I rang them to confirm there was no throttling, and they explicitly said there was none on the phone

Jaysus, I'm out of the loop. I'm paying €65 for 20mb line, with what I though up until now, for a 20gb a day limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

anyone on imagine noticed that theyre now blocking IPTV ?

just noticed this tonight on the kilcock mast on a darkmedia stream...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

mag wrote: »
    anyone on imagine noticed that theyre now blocking IPTV ?

just noticed this tonight on the kilcock mast on a darkmedia stream...
    No, if they do I am out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

working again now, must have been a blip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

So just got the following text. I'm out of contract with them and will just let roll month to month. Ftth should be available soon. I take it this won't affect my contract. Also do they need to replace equipment for this change. I'm in Knockraha mast.

Local Broadband Update - Hi, great news, we are upgrading our national network to 5G ready Fixed Broadband, delivering Superfast Broadband Speeds, Unlimited Data and Smarter Wi-Fi. Engineers will be optimising your service on the 5th July 2019 which involves switching your broadband connection off between 8am and 6pm. These times are the worse case as the engineers work to keep your downtime to a minimum. Thanks, imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I think they are referring to the mast equipment not your antenna and router.... if you want to upgrade to 5G, IF it comes and works, there will be a need for a antenna and router change... according to the engineers who were out a few weeks ago replacing mine.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ok cool I won't be changing anyway sooner I'm rid of them the better. They are grand if nothing else available. But no substitute for proper wired broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

A sad day
    Had to give my 30 days notice
    Not sure what I will have where we are going :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Looking information on how to get internet connection into the house. Rural and have the ducting in place underground for a phone line but the house was never connected. What's the fees to get set up and who to phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

kingbhome wrote: »
    Looking information on how to get internet connection into the house. Rural and have the ducting in place underground for a phone line but the house was never connected. What's the fees to get set up and who to phone.

Don't mind them phone lines and ducting sir...can I interest you in a wonderful magical miracle inducing extraordinary 5g connection? Guaranteed to change your life good sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Check to see what might be available to you here - https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Also here - https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/can-i-get-eir-fibre-broadband/

dashoonage wrote: »
    Don't mind them phone lines and ducting sir...can I interest you in a wonderful magical miracle inducing extraordinary 5g connection? Guaranteed to change your life good sir.

??

The Cush wrote: »

Can get vdsl at 100mb . Is that decent? Have used a wireless router pay as go but it's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can get vdsl at 100mb . Is that decent? Have used a wireless router pay as go but it's useless.

Up to 100mb or actually 100mb. VDSL is great once you are near the cabinet, you can look up some charts online to see how fast the speed can drop off with distance using VDSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can get vdsl at 100mb . Is that decent?

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance (line length from cabinet or exchange)

untitled2.jpg

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance (line length from cabinet or exchange)

untitled2.jpg

How do I find out the distance.

Advertisement