Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kingbhome wrote: »
    How do I find out the distance.

Without an installed line, it will be best guess. Is there any neighbours with a landline installed, use their eircode to get their line speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    A sad day
    Had to give my 30 days notice
    Not sure what I will have where we are going :(

Update
    They didn’t respond to either cancellation email
    And I can’t cancel direct debit Cos it’s apparently not a direct debit !
    I went to my online banking and it’s down as a Point of Sale transaction. So every month they enter my card details for payment it seems
    Madness
    I need to ensure they delete my card details from their system too now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Update
    I went to my online banking and it’s down as a Point of Sale transaction. So every month they enter my card details for payment it seems
    Madness

Just ring your bank,or go into the branch and ask for any transaction from imagine to your card to be blocked
    You ALWAYS have control over your own money/bank account including what comes in and what goes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

The Cush wrote: »
    Without an installed line, it will be best guess. Is there any neighbours with a landline installed, use their eircode to get their line speed.

Where can I check line speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kingbhome wrote: »
    Where can I check line speeds

Enter your neighbour's eircode on the airwire website where you checked your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Update
    Madness

So they are putting through a Point of sale transaction without your consent? Straight to the bank, if they show it as POS say you never spoke to anyone in imagine at that time, and thus didn't authorize a charge... maybe even start a chargeback process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Our area has just been blessed with the arrival of siro. I'll be swapping over as soon as I can, as I'm paying imagine 60 euro a month, for a service that drops to anywhere between 2.5mb to 5mb in the evenings. Has anyone here any experience of severing contract with imagine? I'm with them since January 2017 so I'm assuming it's just a matter of mailing them my intentions and asking for a contract severance date?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Our area has just been blessed with the arrival of siro. I'll be swapping over as soon as I can, as I'm paying imagine 60 euro a month, for a service that drops to anywhere between 2.5mb to 5mb in the evenings. Has anyone here any experience of severing contract with imagine? I'm with them since January 2017 so I'm assuming it's just a matter of mailing them my intentions and asking for a contract severance date?

that's unusual for an area served by Imagine to be getting Siro, are you in an urban area? You won't know yourself when you get connected to a proper future proofed connection and you'll probably end up paying about 5 euros per month less too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Vodafone were in the area today but I missed the salesman. He dropped a leaflet in advertising gigabit broadband at 30euro for six months and 55 afterwards. I'd certainly be happier saving the fiver and getting better broadband at the same time!

Vodafone were in the area today but I missed the salesman. He dropped a leaflet in advertising gigabit broadband at 30euro for six months and 55 afterwards. I'd certainly be happier saving the fiver and getting better broadband at the same time!

It means Ftth is in your area,did you not know?
    Brother has a deal with multi room TV,phone and 150mb fibre for €55 for12 months,so go for that one,you're getting a lot more than imagine and Vodafone TV's operating system is quite good in my opinion

• Advertisement

Current speed
    77 down
    7.31 up

And by comparison heres three 4g just now outside on the phone
    11 down 7 up
    No comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Look forward to the day this rolls into my area. Ftth will be light years ahead of anything imagine could ever provide. Enjoy having proper broadband at lower price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

https://www.facebook.com/imagine5G/videos/476971303050397/
    These boys have some neck. Snake oil salesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

Claylander wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind me asking a question, they contacted me yesterday to say their new 5g site now gone live, I'm living 1.5miles away from the it but the reviews are shocking, anyone here on a new 5g site and how do they find it..I'm currently with 3 as only other option here, it can from 100 download to 1.5 in the evening I'm wondering if a case of better the devil you know..
    Any advice would be much appreciated.....

I'm with them for a month now, between Ashford and Glenealy. I had every other kind of internet connection so far:
    - 3G/4G router in the house (worked okish as long as not too many other phones were around)
    - DSL with Eir (many disconnects) and Sky (ok), both only about 3.5MBit
    - Line of sight connection with Wicklow Broadband which worked great, except to get line of sight I have to cross the neighbours property and a street, so that's a bit wonky. Also, quite expensive.

After one month, I can say the following:

Good

- Speed is absolutely perfect. I ran MANY speed tests (a few a day). From a wired computer, I always get 150-180(!!!) mbit/s download. From my phone I get between 20 and 90 mbit/s.

Neutral

- Reliability has been ok. Generally the latency is rock solid below 25ms. But I've experienced 2 disconnects for about 15-30 minutes. And there was an outage on a Sunday at 15:00 that wasn't fixed until Monday about 9:30. I had the impression that no engineer actually worked on the problem on Sunday, and as soon as someone was there working on it Monday morning it was a quick fix. Positive: Regular status updates by text message.
    - You don't have access to the router. So no port forwarding, no blocking of websites, etc. You can pay extra for parental filters.

Bad
    - While the website says "unlimited" broadband, on the phone you get told that a fair usage policy of 1TB applies. In my experience, "fair usage" means that once you exceed a certain allowance, you get throttled. No. Once you approach the 1TB, you get a very sternly worded email that threatens you with cancellation if you should exceed the 1TB, and tells you to stop using that much bandwidth and consider streaming films in 720p instead of 4k and so on. I thought this was incredibly rude and cocky, considering they talk about "unlimited" broadband and their tool to monitor your usage is not available at the moment (and probably has been for a while). 1 TB seems a lot, but I performed a full backup of my data to the cloud this month (200GB), downloaded a few games off steam and did quite a few speed tests. I contacted support with specific questions (how can I monitor usage, what will happen once I hit 1TB) and got a standard reply.

Bottom line: Disappointed with the customer service, ok with the reliability (provided it doesn't get worse), delighted with the speed. Keep in mind my fastest option before (WBB) was 90.-/month for 12Mbit/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

I'm with them for a month now, between Ashford and Glenealy. I had every other kind of internet connection so far:
    - 3G/4G router in the house (worked okish as long as not too many other phones were around)
    - DSL with Eir (many disconnects) and Sky (ok), both only about 3.5MBit
    - Line of sight connection with Wicklow Broadband which worked great, except to get line of sight I have to cross the neighbours property and a street, so that's a bit wonky. Also, quite expensive.

After one month, I can say the following:

Good

- Speed is absolutely perfect. I ran MANY speed tests (a few a day). From a wired computer, I always get 150-180(!!!) mbit/s download. From my phone I get between 20 and 90 mbit/s.

Neutral

- Reliability has been ok. Generally the latency is rock solid below 25ms. But I've experienced 2 disconnects for about 15-30 minutes. And there was an outage on a Sunday at 15:00 that wasn't fixed until Monday about 9:30. I had the impression that no engineer actually worked on the problem on Sunday, and as soon as someone was there working on it Monday morning it was a quick fix. Positive: Regular status updates by text message.
    - You don't have access to the router. So no port forwarding, no blocking of websites, etc. You can pay extra for parental filters.

Bad
    - While the website says "unlimited" broadband, on the phone you get told that a fair usage policy of 1TB applies. In my experience, "fair usage" means that once you exceed a certain allowance, you get throttled. No. Once you approach the 1TB, you get a very sternly worded email that threatens you with cancellation if you should exceed the 1TB, and tells you to stop using that much bandwidth and consider streaming films in 720p instead of 4k and so on. I thought this was incredibly rude and cocky, considering they talk about "unlimited" broadband and their tool to monitor your usage is not available at the moment (and probably has been for a while). 1 TB seems a lot, but I performed a full backup of my data to the cloud this month (200GB), downloaded a few games off steam and did quite a few speed tests. I contacted support with specific questions (how can I monitor usage, what will happen once I hit 1TB) and got a standard reply.

Bottom line: Disappointed with the customer service, ok with the reliability (provided it doesn't get worse), delighted with the speed. Keep in mind my fastest option before (WBB) was 90.-/month for 12Mbit/s.

They also say not to download updates for your pc.Security updates. Really???

Current speed lunchtime Saturday
    102 down
    6.7 up
    Barrackcroghan north wexford
    Phone 5G wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

As a rule of thumb, and I mean this matter of factly and don't want to insult anyone, speedtests over wireless are almost entirely worthless. They don't show the quality and speed of the connection of the router to the provider, not unless your wireless network works perfectly fine and without any negative influence from the outside.

Apart from the equipment used (phone/laptop and router) and your phones/laptops position relative to the router, many things can influence your wifi quality. The number of wireless devices on your network, the number of wireless networks in the neighbourhood, etc.

If you actually want to know what bandwidth you get from your provider, test with a wired connection. Otherwise you are testing your local network, not the connection to the provider.

If you look at the images below, the first one is a history of wired speedtests, the second one is a history of wireless speedtests. As you can see, the wireless one is substantially slower. Even though this phone can reach speeds of up to 90mbit/s, a test a few minutes ago resulted in only 43.7 mbit/s while the wired PC reached 184.39 mbit/s.

484563.jpg

484564.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I got an email from Imagine this morning welcoming me and giving some details of the service. Also said they would be in touch to arrange an install. It's been 4 months since I signed up and was told the high site would be ready April / May and later was contacted to say was delayed and would now be June / July. I assume thisa email now means the site is ready to go. How long does it normally take to go from this stage to actually having it installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Update
    Madness

Further update
    The accounts team finally rang me earlier in week
    Of course I missed the call
    Rang back
    Nobody available
    Awaiting call back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Either one are impressive speeds to be fair

I can do wired or wireless tests
    The phone wifi tests are easier to post
    Over 5G wifi on the phone beside the router the speed test in my experience is usually the same or just a tad slower than wired
    The 2.5g wifi connection a lot slower,I don't bother testing on that or away from the router in another room for example

I'm down for installation later today, will post speeds later. I'm on a new high site so I expect it will be good for a while at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

So I got that text advising that the Bweeng mast has been upgraded to "5G ready". Will give them a ring to find out more ... will report back ^^

mossie wrote: »
    I'm down for installation later today, will post speeds later. I'm on a new high site so I expect it will be good for a while at least

Just had the installers out and unfortunately could not get a good enough signal so couldn't go ahead with the installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mossie wrote: »
    Just had the installers out and unfortunately could not get a good enough signal so couldn't go ahead with the installation.
    Ah no... Feel for you. whereabouts are you? Did they tell you why at least? Do you know how far away from the transmitter you are? Are there trees or therein the way?

Have them out tomorrow myself and I'm 4.3 mil away with a hill between us. not holding much hope.

god's toy wrote: »
    Ah no... Feel for you. whereabouts are you? Did they tell you why at least? Do you know how far away from the transmitter you are? Are there trees or therein the way?

Have them out tomorrow myself and I'm 4.3 mil away with a hill between us. not holding much hope.

There were three options for me but two were ruled out by trees and hills the other they got a max of 20 meg download and they couldn't proceed with that. I'll have to look at my options with other wireless providers I think. Good luck with your install.

Just a follow up. Anyone have experience of Ivertec, Nuwave or Nova. I'm in North Cork Kanturk / Newmarket and these seem to be my alternatives

Was it a line of sight issue? Trees maybe? Could you have put the aerial elsewhere,a garden shed maybe that might have a better signal and then cat 5E cable to the house?

Poor here on barrackcroghan tonight
    Currently circa 20 Down 6.7 up

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Was it a line of sight issue? Trees maybe? Could you have put the aerial elsewhere,a garden shed maybe that might have a better signal and then cat 5E cable to the house?

Poor here on barrackcroghan tonight
    Currently circa 20 Down 6.7 up

Pretty much anywhere the same. They used a 20 foot pole but she issue.

Advertisement